Horror Aficionados discussion

147 views
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > April 2018 Group Read with Guest Author Glenn Rolfe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
This is the thread for our April group read with guest author, Glenn Rolfe. This month we'll be reading his new short story collection, Land of Bones. Please help me welcome, Glenn Rolfe!


message 2: by joyce g (new)

joyce g | 30 comments Greetings!


message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 20 comments Welcome to Glenn. Looking forward to reading his stories. April looks like a short story bonanza for me as I’ve got two other collections to read and I’ve committed to writing a short story a day myself. Going to be a busy month!


message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom | 20 comments Glenn’s book is available as digital download on Amazon UK. Is there going to be a print copy option?


message 5: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Tom wrote: "Glenn’s book is available as digital download on Amazon UK. Is there going to be a print copy option?"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Bones-G...


message 6: by Glenn (last edited Mar 22, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Tom wrote: "Glenn’s book is available as digital download on Amazon UK. Is there going to be a print copy option?"

Tom wrote: "Glenn’s book is available as digital download on Amazon UK. Is there going to be a print copy option?"

I haven't announced the LOB print yet, because I haven't received my proof copy yet, but the digital proof looked great. The print copy is available at the link above if you want it.


message 7: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments joyce g wrote: "Greetings!"
Hi, Joyce!


message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristylytle) | 83 comments Welcome!!


message 9: by John (new)

John (jrd1st) Hey Glenn! Looking forward to this one, especially since I already own it! 🤣


message 10: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Ken wrote: "This is the thread for our April group read with guest author, Glenn Rolfe. This month we'll be reading his new short story collection, Land of Bones. Please help me welcome, Glenn Rolfe!"
Thanks, Ken. Thanks for the great intro in the email announcement, too. And just to let you guys know, "Molly" was also nominated or Best Short Story for this year's inaugural Splatterpunk Awards (being held at Killer Con in Austin, Texas this summer). I'm honored that so many readers in our community deemed my creepy little doll worthy.

I can't wait to get this group read started. Fire away with your comments and questions whenever you're ready. I'll be checking daily now through the end of next month.

Cheers!


message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
welcome Glenn and thank you for doing this. I think I'll join in on this one.


message 12: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Kristy wrote: "Welcome!!"
Hi, Kristy!


message 13: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments John wrote: "Hey Glenn! Looking forward to this one, especially since I already own it! 🤣"
Hey, John. Let me know if you find errors in that copy. I had to do a clean up a couple weeks ago due to some things I missed on my final proof.
I can send you the clean copy if you need one.


message 14: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Latasha wrote: "welcome Glenn and thank you for doing this. I think I'll join in on this one."
Thanks, Latasha!
Hope you enjoy these wicked little strories. :)


message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5727 comments Mod
Welcome back, Glenn! I loved Land of Bones, and am looking forward to discussing favorite stories with others!! :D


message 16: by Glenn (last edited Mar 23, 2018 04:32AM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Thanks, Kimberly. It's always interesting as the author to see the variety in which stories stand out for readers. I remember with my last collection,Slush, some people hated, "Flaws ". Still, for others, it was one of their favorites. Very excited to see how it goes with Land of Bones.


message 17: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Thornton (shawntsxs) | 7 comments looking forward to this one glenn.


message 18: by Charles (new)

Charles Rathert | 11 comments Welcome aboard


message 19: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 42 comments What's up Glenn!?!? I remember when you told me about this book a while back & I've been looking forward to it ever since. It's awesome to have you here with us in my favorite group! Loving the book so far - of course!


message 20: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rawlinson | 3 comments Welcome Glenn! I haven't read molly, but I've just picked up a collection with it in for my kindle, definitely something I'm going to start on my lunch break :) I'll be picking up the physical copy of land of bones in April, I can't wait to give it a read


message 21: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Jacob wrote: "Welcome Glenn! I haven't read molly, but I've just picked up a collection with it in for my kindle, definitely something I'm going to start on my lunch break :) I'll be picking up the physical copy..."
Thanks, Jacob. I appreciate that. And thanks for grabbing the Splatterpunk Fighting Back antho. All proceeds from that one go to help fight cancer.


message 22: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Jacob wrote: "Welcome Glenn! I haven't read molly, but I've just picked up a collection with it in for my kindle, definitely something I'm going to start on my lunch break :) I'll be picking up the physical copy..."
Hey, Sheri!
Can't wait to get your thoughts on these stories.


message 23: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Shawn wrote: "looking forward to this one glenn."

Thanks, Shawn.


message 24: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Charles wrote: "Welcome aboard"

Thanks, Charles!


message 25: by John (new)

John (jrd1st) Glenn wrote: "John wrote: "Hey Glenn! Looking forward to this one, especially since I already own it! 🤣"
Hey, John. Let me know if you find errors in that copy. I had to do a clean up a couple weeks ago due to s..."

Okee, I'll check. How did you know I always find typos?

I'd rather read the "dirty" copy, lol. 😋


message 26: by Char (new)

Char  | 13702 comments Mod
Hey, Glenn! Nice to see you here!


message 27: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Char wrote: "Hey, Glenn! Nice to see you here!"

Great to be welcomed back. :)


message 28: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Glenn, it's so good to have you with us! Welcome.:)


message 29: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Dustin wrote: "Glenn, it's so good to have you with us! Welcome.:)"
Thanks, Dustin. Hope you dig the book. :)


message 30: by John (new)

John (jrd1st) Too Much of a Dead Thing was my favorite. I particularly liked the characters. (view spoiler)


message 31: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments John wrote: "Too Much of a Dead Thing was my favorite. I particularly liked the characters. [spoilers removed]"

Thanks, John. I had an alternate ending for that one, but decided, for me, this one felt right. I loved getting to meet these characters, too.


message 32: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
Just read "ghosts of Spears Corner" oh, I like very much!


message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5727 comments Mod
Latasha wrote: "Just read "ghosts of Spears Corner" oh, I like very much!"

I LOVED that one!!


message 34: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Latasha wrote: "Just read "ghosts of Spears Corner" oh, I like very much!"
Awesome! Thanks,. Latasha and Kimberly. :)


message 35: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Glenn wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Just read "ghosts of Spears Corner" oh, I like very much!"
Awesome! Thanks,. Latasha and Kimberly. :)"

Spears Corner Road is two roads over from where I live. :)


message 36: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
Whoa!


message 37: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
I couldn't help myself. I had to start reading this before the "official" start date.

I just finished Ghosts of Spears Corner and loved it! I'm from a small town and I think every small blip on the map has a Spears House. They always seem to have this big, gothic feel like they should be the setting of a Hammer film. They always have boarded up windows and a reputation for every possible unspeakable thing imaginable amongst the junior high population. Great job, Glenn. It had a very EC Comics kind of feel!

Did you happen to go into the "Spears House" when you were a kid?


message 38: by Glenn (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Ken wrote: "I couldn't help myself. I had to start reading this before the "official" start date.

I just finished Ghosts of Spears Corner and loved it! I'm from a small town and I think every small blip on t..."


Ken, I think we all have a Spears House, an allegory of something that could harbor our deepest fears, or most painful memory....
nah, I'm just fucking with you. While this "Spears House" is completely fictional, there are a ton of old houses in the surrounding towns that I pass every day and wonder what kind of secrets such places could hold. Are there hidden doors or cupboards that newer owners have never seen? What's within the walls or beneath the floorboards? I think we honestly feel that there is a Spears House in every town.


message 39: by Latasha (last edited Mar 29, 2018 02:44AM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
I just started Charley sings the world away. I like this line very much
"an infested host among a group of blind red blood cells."


message 40: by Latasha (last edited Mar 29, 2018 02:43AM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
Well shit! I finished it. 4 stars!! I don't think I've read anything else by you but I'm gonna fix that. Each story was different and so good. They pulled me in and before I knew it, I was at the end. I like the notes at the end.
Heading over to the buddy read suggestion thread if anyone is interested...
or do you have a suggestion which to read first? chasing ghost, the haunted halls and abram's bridge all sound good. and blood and rain. after abram's bridge, I stopped clicking lol.


message 41: by John (new)

John (jrd1st) Latasha wrote: "Well shit! I finished it. 4 stars!! I don't think I've read anything else by you but I'm gonna fix that. Each story was different and so good. They pulled me in and before I knew it, I was at the e..."

The Haunted Halls was pretty good¡ More fun than scary, if I remember.


message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments Hi Glenn! I really enjoyed Molly so I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

I'm trying to be good at not buying a copy yet. I'm doing the Mount TBR challenge and really getting distracted by new shiny books.

Once I'm through with my next book I'm going to get this, so I probably won't be discussing until later in April, but I'm sure we'll all still be around discussing and chatting then.


message 43: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
Ok thanks John. I haven’t picked one out yet.


message 44: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi Glenn! I really enjoyed Molly so I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

I'm trying to be good at not buying a copy yet. I'm doing the Mount TBR challenge and really getting distracte..."

Thanks, Jennifer! I'll still be around, for sure. :)


message 45: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Excited to announce that the PRINT edition is finally available! Just in time for the group read and it's only $8.99.
Here's the link (I think they're linked together now): https://www.amazon.com/Land-Bones-Gle...


message 46: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 29, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5727 comments Mod
I look forward to finding out which stories resonate with other readers!! :)

Thanks, Glenn--I still love the physical copies on my shelves. :D


message 47: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Kimberly wrote: "I look forward to finding out which stories resonate with other readers!! :)

Thanks, Glenn--I still love the physical copies on my shelves. :D"


Me too! and it won't hurt my feelings if you post a photo of LoB on your bookshelf. ;)


message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (exorcismofemilyreed) | 6 comments Ordered the book! I've seen it on Twitter a few times & have been looking forward to reading it


message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5727 comments Mod
Glenn wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I look forward to finding out which stories resonate with other readers!! :)

Thanks, Glenn--I still love the physical copies on my shelves. :D"

Me too! and it won't hurt my feeli..."


You've got it! Should be here next week. :)


message 50: by Trisha (last edited Mar 29, 2018 08:40PM) (new)

Trisha (trishcollette) | 43 comments Hi Glenn!! Finished reading Blood and Rain 3 days ago. I am a huge geek for the werewolf genre. It's an awesome read. Found myself caring about some of the characters, which rocks!! The blood and gore was spectacular. I am currently reading Becoming. Digging it so far.


« previous 1 3
back to top