College Students! discussion

college talk > Bad habits that you picked up in college!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
What are some of the "bad" habits you picked up in college?

I picked up having a really horrible sleeping schedule from being in college and also eating past 8pm which i NEVER did in high school. Now I'm always game to go to Wendy's and eat crappy food at 1 am.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I have horrible sleeping habits while at college. I'll get it for classes and then get back into bed and wake up around 8pm. Then I'm up for a long while before sleeping again.

I fixed it over the summer but I know that it'll get messed up again.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) PROCRASTINATING!!! I think it gets worse each semester. I start papers like the night before they're due now.

My sleep schedule was good until last semester. I started working at The Badger Herald (one of our school newspapers). I update their website with new news. I go to work at 11pm and get off whenever the paper gets sent in, which can be between 12am - 4am. So now I'm the weird kid taking naps on the couches in the Computer Science building between classes.

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

me tooo! I procrastinate pretty much everything!! It's HORRIBLE. Although..I doubt I picked it up in college..I'm pretty sure I was like that coming out of the womb..I think that's why I was past my due date.

message 5: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Before college I was a neat freak, NOW I'm a MESS! I also am with Jamie..I eat at the worst times.

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Saved By Grace wrote: "I want to take naps all the time, and I'm constantly on the computer."

I nap alllll the time. All my friends call me Sleeping Beauty now haha. (Not sure if I should take that as a compliment). I too am always procrastinating (which I did in high school but more so now) and I have an awful habit of using all my excused absences in the beginning of the semester :/

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments I got bad sleeping habits and napping from working third shift for 5 years. ANd I did that because it was the only way to free up my day for classes. So I slept through a lot of classes, which I had never done before.

My worst habit is when I see a free book, I take at least one. I knew where a handful of spots were on my campus. Doesn't matter what it is. I find one I want and make off with it. Like I need more books in my house the way move around the country...but I can't resist free...

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Coffee drinking and crazy sleeping hours!!!

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments Coffee drinking is a bad habit? Uh oh...I'm in trouble...

message 10: by Keara (new)

Keara Clifford (KearaClifford) | 22 comments haha i have to agree with the coffee. I NEVER drank coffee before college. And to make it worse I put some much sugar in it... my mum is appalled every time she sees how much of it I put in.

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments I've been drinking coffee since I was about 13...college didn't really make my habit worse, it started that way. X)

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm with Abigail. I've always been a coffee drinker. Maybe the bad habit I developed in college is Amazon because I order something almost every month (and sometimes more than once a month). I also think my study habits have gotten out of whack. I used to get a lot more done in less time.

message 13: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I have this new gross habit of leaving my dishes around in random places..gross i know!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Procrastinating! It got wayy worse in college.

Eating junk food. I'd eat it in high school once in a while but once I got to college it seemed like I lived out of the vending machines and 7-11.

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Ooh that's another one Jen. As soon as I went to college I started eating fast food and just alot of junk food. I'm sure it's just because all growing up my mom always had us eating really healthy.

message 16: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 22 comments Bad food and bad sleeping times (or lack of sleeping).

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think another bad habit I've gotten into is not finishing books. Back in the old days, I'd finish what I started. Not so much anymore. I'm not sure if it's because my attention span has waned or if it's because my reading time is so precious that I only want to read the best, but I don't like this habit one bit.

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments I have crazy sleeping schedules also. I'm on the computer all the time, which decreases your body's production of Melatonin. Melatonin is secreted by your body when it gets dark so that you get sleepy. The computer slows that down because a screen is so bright. So I hardly ever sleep at normal times!

I eat at the most random times and usually skip breakfast because I have to hurry to a class I'm about to miss.

I procrastinate also. Oh, it's bad.

I waste a lot of time because I hate homework.

I take Excedrin to stay awake.

I don't have much time to work out anymore... so I don't.

Blah. lol.

message 19: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Excedrin helps you stay awake? Wierd. Maybe I just had way too much caffiene in my system for that to have affected me. :)

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments Yeah, I don't ingest much caffeine (just the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper) so my system really responds to the little amount that's in Excedrin. lol.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oooh, Excedrin. That stuff kicks my butt. I took it one time on an empty stomach... oy. Way too much caffeine for me.

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (doublen) -Living on little to no sleep (Seriously, 6 hours of sleep a night is a good night for me).
-As as a result of above, becoming addicted to caffeine.
-Not reading as much as I used to. I never read during the school year - I simply don't have the time.

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments - Procrastinating (although I think I did that before college, it's just gotten a lot worse, like study-avoiding-behaviour, my room's never cleaner than when I'm supposed to be studying for a test)
- Skipping class (I never skipped in high school and ever since college if I'm feeling lazy, I just skip..)
- Not being able to leave a party when I get there
- Buying books even though I have way to many on my shelves I haven't read yet (never did that when I was living with my parents)

message 24: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
- Skipping class (I never skipped in high school and ever since college if I'm feeling lazy, I just skip..)

Daisy, I completely agree. I was the perfect (geek) model student in High School. Received attendance awards and all, but then college...... :) Not so much.

message 25: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Lol, it's just so easy to skip.. You just stay in bed, read, watch a movie, and nobody ever asks for a note from your mom :p

message 26: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I think a big part of mine was, in high school, going to class meant seeing my friends. In college, staying away from class meant more time with friends. None of my friends have my major. :)

message 27: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 3 comments to do every task and study for exam. >,<

message 28: by Caitlin (last edited Aug 15, 2011 10:47PM) (new)

Caitlin | 10 comments I picked up a lot of bad habits last year that I hopefully won't repeat next year...

I skipped class, stayed up too late...sometimes all night (okay.. I did this before college too), started drinking too many energy drinks and coffee, didn't eat enough (a lot of the time my "meals" consisted of coffee... I saved a lot of money at least! :P)

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Moniz (portuguesechristian) I've always been a night owl, but in college it became normal for me to run on like 3-4 hours of sleep. I'd fall asleep in class or on the buses.
Also skipping, like you said, no one asks for a note or anything.
Also my procrastination got worse, way worse :|

message 30: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "I've always been a night owl, but in college it became normal for me to run on like 3-4 hours of sleep. I'd fall asleep in class or on the buses.
Also skipping, like you said, no one asks for a not..."

Ouch, yeah... I had the same problem. Being a night owl is hard when you have early classes :P A lot of the time I ended up skipping class to sleep though.

I'm also a terrible procrastinator. I was really good at it first but it got a lot harder to be..movitated I guess.

message 31: by Brendan (BJ) (new)

Brendan (BJ) (heresjohnny) | 61 comments Hmmmmm... I think my list's too long... haha but I'll give it a go...

Procrastinate, messy, don't eat enough, don't sleep enough, drink too much (coffee, that is ;) haha), procrastinate, and skipping one course's lectures... :D And I'm done... haha

message 32: by M (new)

M I get a coffee pretty much every day.

message 33: by Paula (new)

Paula | 6 comments John wrote: "Hmmmmm... I think my list's too long... haha but I'll give it a go...

Procrastinate, messy, don't eat enough, don't sleep enough, drink too much (coffee, that is ;) haha), procrastinate, and ski..."

TRUTH!! My sleeping, eating, and homework schedules (or lack thereof) are awful!

message 34: by Minnie (new)

Minnie Nielsen (agentcookie) Let's see... procrastination, doing homework for another class while in class, funky eating/sleeping habits.

message 35: by MarielaBlu (new)

MarielaBlu (queenscove) The big one: procrastinating. I can't seem to get better at this. College makes life stressful.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (bretneyc) | 7 comments college makes me sleepy, i want to take a nap almost every few hours it seem at least ehile im in classes. i also have a need to always be on the phone or fb, like i dont have enough drama in my life

message 37: by Alyona (new)

Alyona (lekanta) Not going to sleep until I've finished all homework. I hardly sleep because of it.

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Alyona wrote: "Not going to sleep until I've finished all homework. I hardly sleep because of it."

That's a bad habit I'd like to have lol

message 39: by Alyona (new)

Alyona (lekanta) Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but I really envy people who procrastinate. They look so happy and healthy.

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Procrastinating is fine and dandy until your deadline is staring you in the face and your stress level shoots up.

message 41: by Alyona (new)

Alyona (lekanta) Yes, but in the end everything turns out all right (at least in most cases). So it's worth it!

message 42: by Kayt (new)

Kayt O'Bibliophile (kayto) | 6 comments Procrastination! It's a huge problem: I can sit down to work on something with plenty of time, and without getting up I've barely started five hours later, which is how I end up doing most of my writing between 2 and 5 am. My attention skitters everywhere and no matter how much I try and want to, I can't focus on what I should be working on.

When I presented my senior project last semester (the whole "culmination of everything you've learned" and thing that you can't graduate without), I hadn't slept for 26 hours.

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 61 comments Procrastination is such a problem for me too. I sit down to do a task and before I know it, it's midnight and I haven't started. It leads to a total lack of sleep in the end anyways. I even missed a deadline last semester, just awful.

message 44: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (marianathereader) | 3 comments Procrastination, drinking too much coffee and not sleeping well.

Btw Im new here, Hello all of you!

message 45: by Kira (new)

Kira (kirac) Skipping class! Such a bad habit. I've never been a morning person, and yes I skipped in high school sometimes. But without my dad to wake me up, it's so much easier to just stay in bed.... It's not like anyone notices I'm missing anyway....

And then finals come. With the way I procrastinate and the amount I skip.... not a pleasant experience.

message 46: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I know it's been said a million times, but procrastination. It's carried into my work (I graduated in December) and I'm a teacher, so that's not good.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel &#x1f49a; (slytherin_rach) | 139 comments staying up all night to write an assignment, sleep deprivation does not help the creativity flow! plus id rather read in bed than type up a stupid assignment... hope i get this degree! lol

^^ oh and hello Mariana

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 61 comments I started staying up all night at the end of this past semester to finish my assignments too. The school year's over and it has unfortunately continued.

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Said I would never be one of these people but I developed a horrible habit of texting in class. I really try not to but most of my professors are so boring this semester.

message 50: by Mirra (new)

Mirra | 15 comments Procrastinating (Though I don't know if I can say that I picked that up in college) and a bad sleeping schedule especially being a full-time student. I have spent a couple of nights crying at the workload. I keep trying to motivate myself saying that there is no room for these habits when I get accepted into my program. Hopefully by next semester I will turn this all around. Habits are hard to break. I have learned some good habits! Like the value of a dollar ahah :D

« previous 1