The Metamorphosis The Metamorphosis discussion

Review On Metamorphosis

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka is a short story about a man named Gregor who wakes up one morning to find out that he is not human anymore, but appears to be a large insect with many legs.

The story provides the reader with many symbols and imagery along the way that gives you a better understanding of the story. In the story, Gregor begins to worry about how becoming an insect and not being able to go to work, will not help pay the debt that his family is currently in. As symbolism in the story, one of the main things that stood out was that the room where Gregor found himself in and how it represented how he is isolated from most people and did not fit in well when he was a human.

Overall, the story was a well 4/5 because of the confusion that was involved in the beginning. Towards the middle and ending of the story, you are able to get a better grasp at what it is that Kafka was trying to tell the reader. This book is something I would recommend and is definitely worth the reading.

message 2: by Chirine (new) - added it

Chirine Hakkani ONe of my favorites!!

John Blais I didn’t know what to think of this story. I felt sorry for Gregor Samsa and hoped he would change back. That didn’t happen. For awhile, however, it seemed he could enjoy being this large bug hanging off the ceiling and all that. But steadily the family went from tolerating him to regarding him as a complete pest.
What struck me the most was that neither Gregor or anybody else questioned how his turning into this giant insect could have happened. They all take it without question or even surprise. His immediate concern was how to turn himself right side up and not be late to work.
I suppose Franz Kafka one day saw a beetle on its hard shelled back struggling to roll over and that’s where he got the idea for his story. So now I wonder if he put out his finger and gave it a little nudge.

Tika Sampract Poor Gregor. You are only useful until you are useless. In the eyes of the wretched the love you receive is only equal to what you can produce for those eagerly greedy to receive it.

John Blais When you say this Tika, I think of pets like dogs, cats or goldfish.I Gregor actually became a nuisance and not so much useless