Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Off topic > Geeky Bakery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Jul 24, 2014 01:29PM) (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1744 comments Mod
Following on from a discussion in one of the other threads, I just had to share these!

I'm a rubbish baker but a friend of mine made these two cakes on two different years for my other half!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 427 comments They are brilliant!

message 3: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1491 comments Mod
BEST THREAD EVER! My dreams of amazing baked things has just come true! :D

Though I am tempted to expand on this and say, if anyone creates any book-related food, post on their successes or not here :)

While reading McCaffrey's Pern series I was on the Meeting of Minds forum (sadly declining these days) and we were discussing some of the foods mentioned in the series, particularly 'klah' which was a Pernese coffee alternative. Apparently it was a little like spiced chocolate coffee, not as good as coffee, but drinkable. So I had to have a go, chocolate powder, instant coffee and some cinnamon and nutmeg... it was interesting, I think it was a bit too dry with all the powdered things in it, so perhaps some further experiments required! :D

message 4: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (new)

Mpauli | 768 comments Mod
That is some really cool stuff. The Zuma ones are especially cool!

message 5: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Jul 24, 2014 02:06PM) (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3430 comments Mod
THESE ARE ALL AMAZING! <3 Leanne, do you have any pics of the goodies you made for Horror October?

I have a couple of things... I made my dad a Peter Griffin (Family Guy) cake one year but I can't find the photo! :( But my sister also made him these cupcakes, which are little Family Guy and Big Bang Theory faces :P Obviously they're nothing like the ones above but I think they're kind of cute, haha!

Our Whovian gingerbread house which looks totally like the one on the box... I miss living with my friend :(

And not geeky but amazing, a shark cake my friend had for her 21st! She loves scuba diving and sharks - the cupcakes around it had After Eights as the shark fins! Can't remember who made it :(

message 6: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Aww! You guys are making me want cake! :D I don't think i've done geeky cakes, I've done a golf one, and an Australian marzipan animal one :)

I will have to have a ponder and do some more :) I would love to do a book-themed lunch or tea party some time :)

message 7: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Leanne wrote: "I don't have any photos from Horror October last year, but I do have this, the only gingerbread house I ever made. (It was several years ago.) It has a tentacle beast in the back yard and is modele..."

Oh my days.

THAT'S INCREDIBLE.

message 8: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (last edited Jul 24, 2014 02:20PM) (new)

That house is just awesome. There are tentacle monsters in my book atm, so I double love it. I totally would C'thullu that mansion.^^

message 9: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited Jul 24, 2014 02:22PM) (new)

:O

OH. WOW. :O

message 10: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Leanne wrote: "Mpauli wrote: "That house is just awesome. There are tentacle monsters in my book atm, so I double love it. I totally would C'thullu that mansion.^^"

Thanks! :D I'm thinking if I ever do another o..."

YES YES YES! Do it! Im jealous of the mad baking skillz...

message 11: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

I thought I ought to share this - I frequently find myself drooling over them :) Food rather than baking! http://www.annathered.com/category/be...

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Ahh yes I LOVED that gingerbread house when you posted it before - so amazing! Plus I love New Orleans architecture, so you couldn't really go wrong :P How did you do the soil?

And nope, the TARDIS is in fact a little air freshener that sits on my bookcase :P And no longer freshens the air...

Oh oh Freya post the one you made for your brother the other day! It was adorable :)

message 13: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited Jul 24, 2014 03:20PM) (new)

description

Here you are - not quite BotM/book/geek related... but a Honey Spice Cake with marzipan bees and Aussie animals :)

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yay! So cute :D Plus I love marzipan, mmm...

message 15: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (new)

Wow, you ladies are all so talented. On the few occasions in my life when I did some baking I was perfectly happy when the result resembled at least one geometrical shape known to mankind.^^

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 427 comments Mpauli wrote: "Wow, you ladies are all so talented. On the few occasions in my life when I did some baking I was perfectly happy when the result resembled at least one geometrical shape known to mankind.^^"

That made me laugh Mpauli.

message 17: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1880 comments Mod
The only thing I've ever made was a gingerbread house and it looked pretty terrible...and by the time I got done I had eaten so much of the icing that I never wanted to see another gingerbread house.

message 18: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:13PM) (new)

ahaha amazing! I used to make cakes by hand without electric mixers, even the buttercream (that was a lot of bent spoons!)

I once made, by request, a four tier Victoria sponge with buttercream by hand in an airless closet of a kitchen... I was standing in a mist of icing sugar and feeling rather faint. long story short, I delivered cake into the next room where the party was happening before finding a floor to lie down and recover on :D

How long did your house take to make? :)

message 19: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Ahaha I learnt my lesson and bought a cheap mixer as soon as I could afford one! :D

Oh wow! That is all rather insane :O I confess I would love to do epic baking and fiddly piping, but I think I lack the patience and many curses would emanate from the kitchen...

Baking school sounds tough but somewhat heavenly :) How long were you there for?

message 20: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

This cake was made by my husband's (!!) mother for our wedding, another talented friend of mine (one of the bridesmaids) made the sugar flowers that are around the cake. We bought the cake topper from Etsy it's an Up/Star Wars mashup and I absolutely love it!

message 21: by Abi (new)

Abi Killen | 66 comments This feed is amazing, I have made a magic the gathering cake & plants vs zombies cake but I am at best an amateur! The cake I really wanted to show was my 21st that my mum made for me, a stack of books with mini me on top! But I don't know how to post photos on goodreads :S I tried copy and paste but that didn't work, can you clever people help?

message 22: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Aug 08, 2014 12:22PM) (new)

If you upload the image to something like Photobucket, then copy the 'Email and IM' link. Then use HTML img tags to display it, like so:

(img src="http://yourimageurlhere.com")

Except the ( ) should be < >, had to use something else or it wouldn't show :)

message 23: by Abi (last edited Aug 11, 2014 12:59PM) (new)

Abi Killen | 66 comments Thanks Rinn :) here goes...

My 21st

Magic the Gathering

Plants vs Zombies

message 24: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

A book cake?! :O That's incredible! - definitely an idea to politely steal borrow some time :)

message 25: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Hehe, I love them! :D Let's just all open some giant geeky bakery together? We could potentially start an international business here, guys.

message 26: by Abi (new)

Abi Killen | 66 comments Haha I have always said that later in life I want to own a second hand book store with a cafe attached and lots of comfy seating!!!

message 27: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Yes abi! The dream!!

message 28: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Just discovered Kitchen Overlords through a recipe for making the Sand Worms from Dune! So awesome! http://kitchenoverlord.com/

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 636 comments Freya wrote: "Just discovered Kitchen Overlords through a recipe for making the Sand Worms from Dune! So awesome! http://kitchenoverlord.com/"

I have zero culinary skills (not even kidding), but some of those really make me want to learn.

I suppose I could start with using the Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who cookies cutters I have and work my way up from there...

message 30: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Yes! you can always start with something like that :) I want to learn to make pasties so I can make pumpkin pasties from Harry Potter :D

message 31: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited May 21, 2016 07:58AM) (new)

I have baked me a dragon! Check it out on the D&J Blog here.

Given all our new members - has anyone else baked any awesome themed foods? :)

message 32: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1315 comments Gorgeous dragon, Freya!! And everything above is amazing! I just found this thread. :)

message 33: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Thank you :) I have a bit of a collection of dragons (plushie and resin) so a new medium!

It's been a little buried in time but I do love this thread and I want to add more things in future but like my blog post said, I have so little space to roll pastry etc. that I just haven't gotten around to it at the moment! :)

message 34: by Greg (last edited May 21, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Greg | 997 comments Freya wrote: "I have baked me a dragon! Check it out on the D&J Blog here.

Given all our new members - has anyone else baked any awesome themed foods? :)"

I love it Freya! This is amazingly impressive. You should open up a fantasy themed bakery shop.

If I'd tried it, it would've come out looking like a blob, no doubt. :)

message 35: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited May 22, 2016 01:43AM) (new)

Ahaha I'm not sure I could make an edible version. It was quite funny as I was getting really frustrated with the dough when I was trying to make a more upright sitting dragon. I had two blobs sitting on top of each other and they just started sinking and spreading like some sad melting ice-cream.

It was actually quite difficult to manoeurve as it would lose shape if I moved it, so it had to be built in situ on baking trays. But I think I definitely want to give salt-dough another go over Christmas time to make flat hanging decorations.

That is the beauty though Greg - if it blobs, you can just smoosh it back together and try again or something else! :)

message 36: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2282 comments Mod
That is cool. I do cake decorating as a hobby, and I did make a dragon cake recently, but the pictures aren't up yet. I have an album on my Facebook page; there are some sci-fi-themed cakes there.

https://www.facebook.com/jaudrey.hamm...

message 37: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Wow Audrey, those look fantastic! :D I love the R2D2 and TARDIS. Your Hallowe'en bakes reminded me that I made bat and frog-shaped spiced biscuits for Hallowe'en last year and sat dressed as a witch watching Practical Magic (it would have been Harry Potter but I had recently done a marathon of those). I did of course serve my biscuits in a cauldron.

message 38: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

How easy is icing and colouring? I've only used that pre-made writing icing before (which is a pain).

message 39: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Freya wrote: "How easy is icing and colouring? I've only used that pre-made writing icing before (which is a pain)."

Getting the right shade can take a while. If you want red (and not pink), you have to use a TON of coloring. Homemade icing is so yummy; I can't go back to store-made. If you want smooth icing, use a very hot icing spatula. Decorating with tips (like the stars) takes some practice but isn't really that hard.

I want to try out a Dalek design for a cake as well as some book-shaped designs.

My husband loves Halloween, and we both have October birthdays, so that's a big cake month.

message 40: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Ah yes! I usually end up with pink icing. I am pretty cheap and on the whole use food colouring liquid which is not so good I suppose if you only need little amounts. I gather colour paste is better, but also more expensive. I just don't buy supermarket-made cakes anymore, yes they can have cool designs, but they taste quite dry.

A Dalek would be cool! would it be a picture cake or a built one? I would also love to try out book designs - need to buy a square/rectangular cake tray though. I also would love to try painting designs on plain royal icing, but that would require a lot of practice I think!

message 41: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Freya wrote: "Ah yes! I usually end up with pink icing. I am pretty cheap and on the whole use food colouring liquid which is not so good I suppose if you only need little amounts. I gather colour paste is bette..."

I use Wilton coloring gels -- I don't know if they're available where you are. They're about $1.69 a jar, which is pretty good. The colors also darken as the frosting dries (except royal icing tends to lighten), so that stubborn pink usually goes red eventually.

They make book-shaped cake pans. I used to have one, but I got ride of it when I thought I wouldn't ever use it. I think I'll do a Dalek in 2D. I'm not good enough at sculpting to to try carving a 3D image.

message 42: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited May 27, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

message 43: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Hmm I will have to check out in the local cookshops to see what the brands seem to be, otherwise the internets may well be my friend! My boyfriend's birthday is coming up soon but I am not sure how adventurous I will be on the cake-making front this time around, too many ideas!! Might have to do something exciting with the meal instead.

I didn't know you could get cake-shaped pans - I thought you had to buy square tins and trim them - I will have to investigate this as well. So many bakery revelations Audrey! :) Ahh well it will be awesome to see the Dalek when you do bake it.

Oh my, Kirsty! That is awesome.. I thought I would only have Nanny Ogg's Cookbook: A Useful and Improving Almanack of Information Including Astonishing Recipes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld to find :D Just checking out her website too (The Geeky Chef)

message 44: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Freya wrote: "Hmm I will have to check out in the local cookshops to see what the brands seem to be, otherwise the internets may well be my friend! My boyfriend's birthday is coming up soon but I am not sure how..."

Any bakery supply store should have all that stuff. Amazon does, too, if you can't find it elsewhere.

message 45: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Geeky Cookbook for American Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Geeky-Chef-Co...

message 46: by Freya, Dragon Rider (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

It was my boyfriend's birthday the other day...

http://tinypic.com/r/10i9oq0/9

(I gave up with trying to get the image to show - it's been a long day)

message 47: by Sarah (last edited Jun 29, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Sarah | 636 comments Freya wrote: "It was my boyfriend's birthday the other day...

(I gave up with trying to get the image to show - it's been a long day)"

Very cool. Was he ready to go on an adventure after that cake?

message 48: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Jun 29, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

It was my husbands birthday on 27th, I made this cake. I really need to work on my finishing skills!!

(by the way it's meant to be a circuit board! haha)

And off topic, as it's not edible but I also made Ivy this today:

message 49: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Freya wrote: "It was my boyfriend's birthday the other day...

(I gave up with trying to get the image to show - it's been a long day)"

Looks great Freya!!

For imgs, easiest way I do it is... < img src="blah blah link"< / img > (-spaces)

message 50: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Those are all so cool.

« previous 1