Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Nanny Ogg's Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

(Discworld Companion Books)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  5,728 ratings  ·  163 reviews
'They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach which just goes to show they're as confused about anatomy as they gen'rally are about everything else, unless they're talking about instructions on how to stab him, in which case a better way is up and under the ribcage. Anyway, we do not live in a perfect world and it is foresighted and useful for a young woma ...more
Paperback, 176 pages
Published November 1st 2001 by Corgi (first published 1999)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Ана Хелс
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Преди дни изгубихме един от най-бляскавите умове на фентъзито, ако не и на литературата въобще – за незапознатите нещо като Стивън Хокинг на фентъзийния жанр, споделящ в огромна степен и съдбата на най-великия учен в три космоса околовръст. Каква ирония е най-чистите интелекти, които разбират вселената, живота и всичко останало напълно буквално и ясно като майски ден, да бъдат покосявани от болести на ума и тялото, деградиращи човешките им превъплъщения до тромави телесни черупки, недостойни и н ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just have to lighten things up, y'know? As if the jokes-as-philosophy book wasn't light enough.

There have been quite a few spin-off books from Pratchett's Discworld series in the years that he's been doing them. Various maps, the Science of Discworld books, plays, films and now this. And I think we can all agree that spin-offs are never quite as good as the original.

Oh sure, there are laughs to be had - it is Nanny Ogg, after all. If you don't know who she is, then you need to go t
...more
Kristen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
I would say a "Must Have" for any Discworld fanatic, but unfortunately it's not a "Must Have"... what it is however is a very fun, whimsical cookbook assembled by our favorite dirty minded witch of Lancre - Nanny Ogg. Though this book does contain recipes (and most of them appear fairly legit) the reason to buy this book is for the old fashioned wisdom that used to come in cookbooks. The more of the Discworld books that you have read, the more you will recognize the names and people mentioned in ...more
Schnuckiputzi
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people over 21
Shelves: 2008
OMG! This needs to be rated PG-17 -- Strawberry Wobbler?!?! If I made this dish, my husband would have a stroke. This is Nanny Ogg at her naughty best, with apoplectic notes from the editor and the publisher. I sniggered and snerked all the way through.
Plamena Nikolaeva
Леля Ог си е леля Ог.. дори и "редакторите" едвам успяват да я усмирят и да цензурират част от по-пикантните съвети. Разбира се, от всяка вещица има какво да се научи, но тя за разлика от баба Вихронрав например, е и глава на огромно семейство, така че може да се похвали с доста повече опит в... хм, някои сфери на живота.

Смехът е гарантиран, удоволствието също.. за ядивността на рецептите нищо не мога да кажа, защото не съм се престрашила да ги пробвам. Предполагам, че за да се наслади максимал
...more
Jonathan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are several reasons why I love this book.
1. It's a first person perspective of one of my favourite Pratchett characters, Gytha 'Nanny' Ogg. A bawdy, friendly, matriarchal figure who is just beautifully written for.

2. Many of the recipes are provided by other Discworld characters and gives a little additional background and insight into these people, which might otherwise seem a little superfluous shared in the novels themselves.

3. It's a cookbook, so there are actually some decent recip
...more
Phoenix
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Delightful. Some of the food even appears to be edible.
Anelis
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting recipes and wickedly funny anecdotes with discworld's best.
Ondřej Puczok
Blbůstka pro pravé fanoušky Zeměplochy, kteří mají přečteno vše potřebné na pochopení vtípků. Pro ostatní to musí být dost bizarní kousek, což se mě naštěstí netýká. Nápad je to dobrý a některé kousky opravdu pobavily. Vždy, když kniha přešla v čistou Zeměplochu - pilulky ze sušených žab, Zatracený hlupec Johnson, etiketa u nemrtvých... - bylo to super. Jak se to začalo blížit "Zemneploše", kniha ztrácela šmrnc a originalitu. Každopádně hezká jednohubka, které snad jen chybí ony "cenzurované" čá ...more
Eliska
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dobře jsem se bavila, připomněla si Zeměplochu, přečetla jsem postupně všechny recepty a některé i vyzkoušela. A Mrakoplašovy bramborové placičky se staly mým oblíbeným jídlem. A nikdy není pozdě získat nějaké nové poznatky z etikety.
Arnaud
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As expected, hilarious. Also beautifully illustrated :-) I had a kick reading the recipes, and will likely try a few! The part on etiquette is also quite informative, if I may say so myself :D
Joey Woolfardis
Nanny Ogg, Witch of Lancre of the Discworld, all-round purveyor of rude songs and logical common sense, has many pieces of advice to offer us, alongside rather questionable but do-able Discworldian recipes for the least delicate connoisseur of cuisine.

I do feel bad for only giving this 2 stars, but my reasons are thus: whilst it gave me incredible joy to read something from the P.O.V. of Nanny Ogg (any of the witches would have done) and whilst there were infrequent titters at the shameless joy
...more
Madelene
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
There are recipes in this book, but I don't know if the food's actually edible. I think so, though. The recipes are, however, not the reason why I bought Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. I bought it because I love Nanny Ogg. She's one of my favourite characters, not just from the Discworld novels, but all in all.

The book is filled with little tips based on her wisdom of life. And boose. And men. We also gets some information about the undead:

"At first glance this appears very simple. Nearly everyone you
...more
Spuddie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
A hilarious compilation of recipes, Discworld gossip and folklore featuring Nanny Ogg, one of the Discworld's most notable witches. Most of the recipes actually look quite good, although I will need to do some conversions as they're written in UK measurements--which is only to be expected, and I will have to pick up some frogs so I can not add them to the Frog Pills. From the delectable sounding "Sticky Toffee Rat Onna Stick" to the "Knuckle Sandwich" and "Mrs. Gogol's Clairvoyant Gumbo," there' ...more
Любопитка
Изпълнена с изключителното чуство за хумор на сър Тери Пратчет тази книга е поредното добро намигване към нашите порядки и етикет. Може да те разсмее до сълзи или пък да те разплаче до смях. Решила съм да пробвам да приготвя някоя от рецептите и да видя какъв ще бъде крайният резултат.

Цялото ревю може да намерите тук: https://prezprozoreca.wordpress.com/2...
JennaL
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not only a great read...

but has some legitimately tasty recipes included.

I mainly bought the book because, well. Because I but EVERY T Pratchett book. Figured it would be an entertaining read, and honestly only made the first recipe as a way to kill a rainy afternoon.

Shockingly, while they aren't going to end up on a 4-star menu, there ARE some really tasty recipes to pick from. I now own 2 copies - one to read, and one that is starting to look a bit battered from various culinary splashes.
Sarah
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: much-loved, own
Much obliged for an authoritative explanation of roast figgins. Must try the recipes for Sergeant Angua's vegetable stew and that Unseen University faculty favorite, Wow Wow sauce (first locating a thaumatologically inert glass bottle and stopper, of course). Etiquette tips on how to entertain duchesses, witches, and that gentleman who drops weasels down his trousers for a living should come in handy!
Azumi
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recomendado para los muy fans de Pratchett y del Mundodisco.

Las recetas son geniales y algunas hasta parecen comestibles y todo (excepto las recetas de los enanos -_-)

En la segunda parte del libro, Tata da un sinfín de consejos de etiqueta para múltiples ocasiones y de como comportarse con todas las criaturas del Mundodisco.
Knigoqdec
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Много мила и топла книжка за доброто старо време. Бих се престрашила да опитам някоя рецепта, макар че съм голям карък в кухнята.
Може би някой ден...
Не съжалявам, че малко подраних с нея (понеже трябва да си прочел още някоя и друга книжка за Света на Диска, за да си напълно наясно с напълно всички герои, които така отдадено са предложили своите рецепти).
Embracing My Books
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
You can find my review here: http://embracingmybooks.blogspot.be/2...
Jasmiina F
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, cooking, humor
A funny book with some recipes I'm definitely going to try. I liked how there were some famous Discworld characters mentioned in this book, like Vetinari and Rincewind.
Monica
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read if you like discworld novels. I am suspicious of the recipes and wonder if anyone has ever tried them.
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun book, with lots of special guest recipes by various Discworld characters. Some of the voices aren't quite up to Sir Terry's level, but it's still good fun.
Zac C.C
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa. This was, rather unexpectedly, an actual cookbook. There was a good deal of recipes, most of which came from diurse (if you don't understand
, go read equal rites. Just realized it's a play on equal rights. Well, read it and come back.) persons of the disc, like Lord Patrician of Ankh-Morpok Vetinari, who gave a recipe for bread and water, making sure it's not poisoned by means of sacrificing a couple unescessary servants, and the said it was useless, and gave a more complicated form, in t
...more
Kim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I just started reading the Discworld series and I'm enjoying it so much I had to get this cookbook to immerse myself into the world. Hilariously funny humour and anecdotes as well as some good advice with a chuckle. Some of the recipes are naughty but actually sound like they'd taste pretty good. It's all in the aaaaa..... presentation. Need to do some conversions though since it is from the UK and is in metrics. The strawberry wobbler will need a modified presentation if you're going to serve i ...more
Jorge Rosas
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, the recipes look real enough and the social education is quite useful if you ever visit the disc. It made me laugh a few times, the recipe part had always a reference to the disc characters and some are not even recipes at all, like the Librarian or Da Quim’s ones, some other recipes are quite real and doable and, being Nanny Ogg some are very suggestive.
Cass
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the first and only book I've read about Discworld and so I should not judge the series or the author from just this. But it really was not all the that good. A book of recipes by the character, Nanny Ogg. It also expounded on other traditions of Discworld. I might have to read something from that series before judging this book as only being ok.
Katka Olajcová
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett
Typický pratchettovský humor. Skvelá knižka, v ktorej nie sú len recepty, ale aj dobré rady do života podané nenahraditeľným štýlom stařenky Oggové, ktorá vie čo a ako.
Toto je ďalšia z tých bonusových kníh, ktorú by si mal zadovážiť, každý fanúšik zeměplochy a, keď nadíde čas, aj skúsiť niektorý z preslávnych receptov stařenky Oggové.
Jan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Fun book - an extension of the discworld novels
Kim Clarke
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of recipes from some of our favourite Discworld resisdents, finished off with Nanny Og's observations and seasoned with notes from the Editor.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0739438220 2 10 Sep 29, 2013 08:51PM  
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Legends Volume 2
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Terry Pratchett
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Misplaced Battleship
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Star Trek Cookbook
  • The Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father
30,355 followers
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe.

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,
...more

Other books in the series

Discworld Companion Books (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Discworld Companion
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Turtle Recall: The Discworld Companion . . . So Far
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld
  • The Art of Discworld
  • The Folklore of Discworld
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • Discworld's Ankh Morpork City Watch Diary 1999
  • Discworld Assassins' Guild Yearbook and Diary 2000