Start by marking “Nanny Ogg's Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

(Discworld Companion Books)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,068 ratings  ·  175 reviews
'They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach which just goes to show they're as confused about anatomy as they gen'rally are about everything else, unless they're talking about instructions on how to stab him, in which case a better way is up and under the ribcage. Anyway, we do not live in a perfect world and it is foresighted and useful for a young woma ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Corgi (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, please sign up.
Jonathan Low Haddock is a white fish. I wouldn't substitute it with an oily fish like mackerel tbh. Cod, hake, or pollock may be more appropriate if you can get th…moreHaddock is a white fish. I wouldn't substitute it with an oily fish like mackerel tbh. Cod, hake, or pollock may be more appropriate if you can get them smoked where you are(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Nanny Ogg's Cookbook
Schnuckiputzi
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people over 21
Shelves: 2008
OMG! This needs to be rated PG-17 -- Strawberry Wobbler?!?! If I made this dish, my husband would have a stroke. This is Nanny Ogg at her naughty best, with apoplectic notes from the editor and the publisher. I sniggered and snerked all the way through.
Chris
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just have to lighten things up, y'know? As if the jokes-as-philosophy book wasn't light enough.

There have been quite a few spin-off books from Pratchett's Discworld series in the years that he's been doing them. Various maps, the Science of Discworld books, plays, films and now this. And I think we can all agree that spin-offs are never quite as good as the original.

Oh sure, there are laughs to be had - it is Nanny Ogg, after all. If you don't know who she is, then you need to go t
Kristen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
I would say a "Must Have" for any Discworld fanatic, but unfortunately it's not a "Must Have"... what it is however is a very fun, whimsical cookbook assembled by our favorite dirty minded witch of Lancre - Nanny Ogg. Though this book does contain recipes (and most of them appear fairly legit) the reason to buy this book is for the old fashioned wisdom that used to come in cookbooks. The more of the Discworld books that you have read, the more you will recognize the names and people mentioned in ...more
Jonathan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are several reasons why I love this book.
1. It's a first person perspective of one of my favourite Pratchett characters, Gytha 'Nanny' Ogg. A bawdy, friendly, matriarchal figure who is just beautifully written for.

2. Many of the recipes are provided by other Discworld characters and gives a little additional background and insight into these people, which might otherwise seem a little superfluous shared in the novels themselves.

3. It's a cookbook, so there are actually some decent reci
Anelis
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting recipes and wickedly funny anecdotes with discworld's best.
Phoenix
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Delightful. Some of the food even appears to be edible.
Arnaud
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As expected, hilarious. Also beautifully illustrated :-) I had a kick reading the recipes, and will likely try a few! The part on etiquette is also quite informative, if I may say so myself :D
Steph Hayward-bailey
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've always loved Nanny Ogg and having a book written by her is amazing. All her advice you can imagine her giving in the other discworld books.
Melissa
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Although I didn’t enjoy the recipes nearly as much as the sage, practical, and silly advice of Nanny Ogg, this was a fun diversion to dip into now and again as the mood struck for some levity.
Joey Woolfardis
Nanny Ogg, Witch of Lancre of the Discworld, all-round purveyor of rude songs and logical common sense, has many pieces of advice to offer us, alongside rather questionable but do-able Discworldian recipes for the least delicate connoisseur of cuisine.

I do feel bad for only giving this 2 stars, but my reasons are thus: whilst it gave me incredible joy to read something from the P.O.V. of Nanny Ogg (any of the witches would have done) and whilst there were infrequent titters at the shameless joy
Madelene
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy
There are recipes in this book, but I don't know if the food's actually edible. I think so, though. The recipes are, however, not the reason why I bought Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. I bought it because I love Nanny Ogg. She's one of my favourite characters, not just from the Discworld novels, but all in all.

The book is filled with little tips based on her wisdom of life. And boose. And men. We also gets some information about the undead:

"At first glance this appears very simple. Nearly everyone you
Spuddie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
A hilarious compilation of recipes, Discworld gossip and folklore featuring Nanny Ogg, one of the Discworld's most notable witches. Most of the recipes actually look quite good, although I will need to do some conversions as they're written in UK measurements--which is only to be expected, and I will have to pick up some frogs so I can not add them to the Frog Pills. From the delectable sounding "Sticky Toffee Rat Onna Stick" to the "Knuckle Sandwich" and "Mrs. Gogol's Clairvoyant Gumbo," there' ...more
JennaL
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not only a great read...

but has some legitimately tasty recipes included.

I mainly bought the book because, well. Because I but EVERY T Pratchett book. Figured it would be an entertaining read, and honestly only made the first recipe as a way to kill a rainy afternoon.

Shockingly, while they aren't going to end up on a 4-star menu, there ARE some really tasty recipes to pick from. I now own 2 copies - one to read, and one that is starting to look a bit battered from various culinary splashes.
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, much-loved
Much obliged for an authoritative explanation of roast figgins. Must try the recipes for Sergeant Angua's vegetable stew and that Unseen University faculty favorite, Wow Wow sauce (first locating a thaumatologically inert glass bottle and stopper, of course). Etiquette tips on how to entertain duchesses, witches, and that gentleman who drops weasels down his trousers for a living should come in handy!
Jasmiina F
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, cooking
A funny book with some recipes I'm definitely going to try. I liked how there were some famous Discworld characters mentioned in this book, like Vetinari and Rincewind.
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun book, with lots of special guest recipes by various Discworld characters. Some of the voices aren't quite up to Sir Terry's level, but it's still good fun.
Helena
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
You can find my review here: http://embracingmybooks.blogspot.be/2... ...more
Monica
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read if you like discworld novels. I am suspicious of the recipes and wonder if anyone has ever tried them.
Kim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I just started reading the Discworld series and I'm enjoying it so much I had to get this cookbook to immerse myself into the world. Hilariously funny humour and anecdotes as well as some good advice with a chuckle. Some of the recipes are naughty but actually sound like they'd taste pretty good. It's all in the aaaaa..... presentation. Need to do some conversions though since it is from the UK and is in metrics. The strawberry wobbler will need a modified presentation if you're going to serve i ...more
Jake Mcconnell
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book of collected wit and wisdom as only Terry Pratchett can put together. You can probably skip the recipe part at the beginning because they are sparse in terms of directions and not really all that amusing (actually most of the recipes can probably be replicated to yield edible results if someone wanted to), but the etiquette section is signature Pratchett ("Etiquette is for people that don't have manners"). A must read for any fans of the discworld series
Ariadne Deborah Fassel
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A humourous look at some Discworld characters and recipes, with notes by the editor and "publisher". Some of these recipes are actually tasty, and some should never be attempted under any circumstances. British measures are used, and some ingredients might be hard to find. I am quite sure that Emily Post would not approve of Nanny's version of etiquette, but it is practical for Lancre.

This is actually a re-read.
Cass
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the first and only book I've read about Discworld and so I should not judge the series or the author from just this. But it really was not all the that good. A book of recipes by the character, Nanny Ogg. It also expounded on other traditions of Discworld. I might have to read something from that series before judging this book as only being ok.
Jorge Rosas
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, the recipes look real enough and the social education is quite useful if you ever visit the disc. It made me laugh a few times, the recipe part had always a reference to the disc characters and some are not even recipes at all, like the Librarian or Da Quim’s ones, some other recipes are quite real and doable and, being Nanny Ogg some are very suggestive.
Pixie Unger
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't tried any of these recipes but I still go back and read the story portion. So much fun! I keep thinking I will make the strawberry wobbler for a bachelorette party or something, but it hasn't happened yet.
Jan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Fun book - an extension of the discworld novels
Collin Berner
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Amusing, but I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone who is not already a Discworld fan.
Annm
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A must have for fans of Discworld’s witches who cook.
Heather
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Too may fish recipes and the sex advice was redacted, otherwise this was a lot of fun.
Kim Clarke
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of recipes from some of our favourite Discworld resisdents, finished off with Nanny Og's observations and seasoned with notes from the Editor.
Greymalkin
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Hilarious and fun. Not sure about the recipes but this is a wonderful read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0739438220 2 10 Sep 29, 2013 08:51PM

• Епидемия в Рая
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Livsfilosofi: Et personlig bidrag om følelser og fornuft
  • Dictionary of the Khazars
  • Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out
  • Vrata sna i druge priče
  • Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger
  • The Fratricides
  • Стъкленият охлюв (разкази в интернет)
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
  • Диви разкази
  • Wireless: A Short Story
  • S.O.S.: A Short Story
  • The Mystery of the Blue Jar: A Short Story
  • Old Harry's Game: The Christmas Specials 2010
  • Old Harry's Game, Series 5
  • Old Harry's Game

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld Companion Books (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Discworld Companion
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • Discworld's Ankh Morpork City Watch Diary 1999
  • Discworld Assassins' Guild Yearbook and Diary 2000

Articles featuring this book

This holiday season, why not give the gift of The Chronicles of Narnia's Turkish delight, a cozy dinner with the March siste...
“Anyone with interesting gossip.*

*I always say: if you haven't got anything good to say about anyone, say it to me.”
1 likes
“It is a truth self evident that a man in possession of his own teeth, a decent pair of boots, a couple of acres of land and some pigs that need feeding must be in want of a wife.” 1 likes