Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Abandoned and diseased stuff

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by frkvinter (new)

frkvinter Hi, new here ^^

I was hoping to get some recomendations for books about abondoned stuff - ships, stations, colonies. Basically anything. I wouldn't mind if there's some wierd disease in there aswell!

I've read Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey and Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.

Thanks ^_^

(sorry about crappy english, I'm really tired)

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Mar 21, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2521 comments Mod
Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller is in the Liaden Universe but works as an entry point well enough. Bechimo is an AI that is a starship. He was promised a captain and crew but war happened and nobody ever showed up. In this book he is actively trying to get a captain. You may want to read Fledgling and Saltation first, but there’s enough of the backstory to just start with Ghost Ship.

Oh and the series that starts with Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch should interest you greatly.

message 3: by L J (new)

L J | 122 comments Fist thing that comes to mind, the BOLOs created by Keith Laumer, Bolo then continued by others.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 589 comments Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and the Gaia series by John Varley are in that vein. Gateway by Pohl is like that, too.

Planetfall is a cut-off colony faced with an abandoned alien structure.

It’s not Space Opera, but the Southern Reach trilogy starting with Annihilation does the disease thing. (The movie version is currently in theatres.) Darwinia is a similar story, except better in my opinion.

By far my favorite is Larry Niven’s A World Out of Time, where a resurrected man escapes Earth in a starship. Due to time dilation he returns 3 million years later to find the world largely empty and teeming with technology and dangers he can’t imagine.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Julian You might enjoy my book Timberwolf. There’s an abandoned weapons factory that the main antagonist is trying to claim.

message 6: by frkvinter (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

frkvinter L J wrote: "Fist thing that comes to mind, the BOLOs created by Keith Laumer, Bolo then continued by others."

Thank you!

message 7: by frkvinter (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

frkvinter Teresa wrote: "Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller is in the Liaden Universe but works as an entry point well enough. Bechimo is an AI that is a starship. He was ..."

Thanks for all the recommendations! Im off to check them out!

message 8: by frkvinter (last edited Mar 23, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

frkvinter Trike wrote: "Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and the Gaia series by John Varley are in that vein. Gateway by Pohl is like that, too.

Planetfall is a cut-off..."

Thank you so much! I have been eyeing Annihilation for some time now, it will be my next buy!

message 9: by frkvinter (new)

frkvinter Tom wrote: "You might enjoy my book Timberwolf. There’s an abandoned weapons factory that the main antagonist is trying to claim."

I will check it out. Thanks :)

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Julian frkvinter wrote: "Tom wrote: "You might enjoy my book Timberwolf. There’s an abandoned weapons factory that the main antagonist is trying to claim."

I will check it out. Thanks :)"

It was a lot of fun to write about an abandoned place. I understand the appeal!