What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Drift House: The First Voyage
This topic is about The Drift House
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's fiction: Kids move in with old man on a ship that can time travel. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arabella (new) - added it

Arabella | 3 comments My dad read this book to me approx. 15 years ago but I think it was published earlier. The start was very much like C. S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as in some kids that are siblings move to live with an elderly man. The man, however, lives on a ship that can either fly or at least somehow travel the world without it actually involving any sailing. They all go on adventures together and the old man teaches the kids a bunch of stuff. I specifically remember one adventure involving monarch butterflies.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Was this a picture book for kids, or a chapter book (like C.S. Lewis) for a little bit older children? Do you remember anything about the cover? Was it new when your dad read it to you, or did it seem to be pretty old by that point?

message 3: by Arabella (new) - added it

Arabella | 3 comments It was a chapter book and pretty old. Unfortunately I don't remember much more, just that I loved it and would like to be able to read it to my young brother.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments This may be Captain Ghost by Thelma Bell. It's one I've been trying to find for years. There's definitely a sea captain, and a flying ship, and it was originally published in the 50s or 60s.

message 5: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Captain Ghost for Kelly's suggestion

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Liebenberg | 3 comments Is it not the Ulysses Moore series?

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35150 comments Mod
Ulysses Moore series by Pierdomenico Baccalario - Megan's suggestion

message 8: by Arabella (new) - added it

Arabella | 3 comments Book found!! And turns out it was published much more recently than I thought. It's The Drift House by Dale Peck and the ship can float through time.

message 9: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Drift House: The First Voyage for the click. Glad you found your book! Thanks for reporting back.