What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA book with girl in front of gate on cover

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash (itsalongwaybackfromseventeen) | 35 comments I'm looking for a Young Adult book that probably came out in the mid to late nineties. A girl with dark hair is standing in front of a tall gate and behind that I think is a mansion. The book is in a R.L. Stine type genre.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4713 comments Do you remember the plot of the book?

message 3: by Ash (new)

Ash (itsalongwaybackfromseventeen) | 35 comments It may have had to do with a curse on her family or her. I read it over 10 years ago so I'm pretty fuzzy on the plot end.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 42 comments Hmmmm... I just read the Lyburn Legacy series (I thought the series was outstanding, and I'm close to 40, so a YA book has to work pretty hard for me to fall in love with it), and theres a woodcut type image of a girl and a gate on the cover, I believe...
Is this it? Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan
The problem with that sort of imagery is its pretty iconic 'secret garden' stuff, so its not uncommon at all. Crossing fingers Unspoken was the one you were hunting for, but if memory serves it was published somewhat recently. However, the curse thing fits, and its a fab series, so if its not the right book, maybe you can discover a great new one. ;)

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash (itsalongwaybackfromseventeen) | 35 comments That's the type of gate. A big wrought iron one. She was facing forward and her image was clear. All features shown and hair color dark. It was a small trade paperback book. That's not it Rachel, but I do have that on my to read list :)

message 6: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Probably not it but Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia, #2) by Deanna Raybourn or The Locked Garden by Gloria Whelan

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2231 comments Can you recall any other details, no matter how small, about the book? For example: age of main character, whether the "gate" motif was central to the story, length of book, any other characters (friends, parents, teachers), etc.? You never know what might spark a memory.

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash (itsalongwaybackfromseventeen) | 35 comments She was high school age.It was modern day time. It was under 200 pages. Trade paperback size. The gate led to a mansion,I think the book had something to do with the mansion from what I recall.

message 9: by Holly (new)

message 10: by Ash (new)

Ash (itsalongwaybackfromseventeen) | 35 comments No Holly. None of those :(

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36865 comments Mod
Ash, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2231 comments Not a gate, but very similar and could be (mis)remembered as one:

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista | 147 comments The Vampire's Beautiful Daughter? Not quite a gate, but gate-like.

message 14: by Cat (new)

Cat  | 132 comments Maybe People Might Hear You by Robin Klein . Not really Stine(ish) but very creepy.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments A ton VC Andrews novels have gates on the covers, and fit that 90s horror theme: Gates of Paradise (Casteel, #4) by V.C. Andrews Dark Angel (Casteel, #2) by V.C. Andrews And so on!

message 16: by Kara (last edited Aug 14, 2016 12:48PM) (new)

Kara (wintercame) | 10 comments Hey Ash, I think this is what you are looking for! Read it myself back in the day! The Betrayal (The Fear Street Saga, #1) by R.L. Stine . I remember the trilogy more than the individual books, and they basically dealt with why Fear Street had been cursed.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36865 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Ash, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2.5 years. Moving to Abandoned.