Start by marking “People Might Hear You” as Want to Read:
People Might Hear You

People Might Hear You

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  684 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
After her aunt, who is her guardian, marries the forbidding Mr. Tyrell, twelve-year-old Frances is introduced to the mysterious temple and its strange fanatical beliefs.
Published September 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about People Might Hear You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Might Hear You

Emma Hoare
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this book since I was a teenager but I have remembered it ever since. This book affected me deeply. I enjoyed reading it at the time and thinking how realistic it was. I will have to revisit this one because this book and Robin Klein imprinted themselves on me as highlights of my reading list back then.
Jessica
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Despite being young adult fiction, I really enjoyed this book! A tale of an unusual religion, and a young girls desperate attempts to escape!

The most compelling thing about this book is its realism, it makes me think of those cults you see on the news, with really unusual beliefs that are forced upon many members, and children that haven't had the opportunity to know anything else.

Finished this one In a day, so it's a nice easy read, but not overly simplistic, I felt it was really well written
Caitlin
I'm revisiting books I read as a child/young adult - and while I fully understand I can never go back and really capture reading these books at the "right" time, it's still interesting to come back to them with an adult perspective. I've also taken a break from reading "Foxlowe" by Eleanor Wasserberg, and I've remembered a few other books I've read on a similar theme which I enjoyed (such as "Red Shoes" by Carmel Bird.)

I'd forgotten that Robin Klein was able to master the fun and hilarity of som
Julia
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was a teenager, and I still have really strong memories of how unnerving I found it. It wasn't an easy book for me to get in to, mostly because of how different the lifestyle was, but once you made the mindset leap the book became really dark and very interesting.
Rebecca McNutt
People Might Hear You was a very odd little novel, and I'm not certain what to make of it, but I really enjoyed reading it and I loved the way the author describes scenery and surroundings.
Breanne (bookswithbre)
I know what you're thinking, one star? That's a little bit harsh.
I read this book for my English class and I can honestly say I disliked it. I had such a hard time getting through it and if it wasn't a required read, I definitely wouldn't have bothered finishing it. The ending was unsatisfying and left questions unanswered. The whole book felt slow and dragged. I won't be reading this again and am glad to have finally finished it.
Jennie
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that stuck in my mind even though I've not read it in about twenty years.
Annie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was a lot younger and enjoyed rereading it now. It's written quite simply but is thought-provoking.
Arlene Allen
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adults
I sure wish I could remember the storyline of every single book I've read....
Belinda
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favourite book from my primary school years, did my first book report on this, and it became the start of my reading affair💗
Tina Jameson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read after many years - still as good as the first time I read it. Suspenseful writing - with middle school+ appeal. Very suitable as class text.
Jess White
This was a very quick read. I had high expectations of this novel as so many people had recommended it to me, and honestly, I felt a little let down after reading it. It just didn't feel finished. The concept of the storyline was very clever and engaging, with enough mystery to keep reading, however I felt like the book needed one or two more chapters to really conclude the story.
Jacqueline King
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, drama
I pretty much hated every book my school assigned me - except this one. Even now, several years later, I still remember it.

Twelve year old Frances lives a quiet life with her aunt. Things aren't great, but they're getting by. Until her aunt marries and moves them in the middle of the night into the Tyrell house.

Three young girls are 'imprisoned' in the family home. They study, and read and prepare food, keeping up the appearance of a normal, happy family. Except, they do all of this in silence
Ngaire
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling read. Robin Klein just has a way with words that pulls you in and is way too real. To summarise, a young girl is being raised by her aunt, her aunt marries a weird guy who follows a strange religion and they go live in his house with his daughters and lots of rules. My critisism for this book was mostly the naivety of the main character. While reading alarm bells are going off in my head about the situation, and though the main character is only 12 she has already lived a difficult li ...more
Carly Tebbutt
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite this being a book I had to read for class, I really enjoyed it and I think it is definitely worth the read!

It was at times creepy, but I found myself getting literally angry at some of the characters - The Step-Father, Claire and the Aunty. At other times I felt incredibly sorry for characters like Helen - she has absolutely no idea what the world outside the walls of the "Temple" is like.

It opened my eyes to a whole new world of religious cults, and Robin Klein captured this world throu
Rhiannon Latham
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read teen fiction story about a young girl left in the care of her aunt. Though not living a lavish life and being constantly uprooted from town to town and school to school, France's could not imagine her life going the way it does. She gets excited when her aunt announces that she is getting married and they are moving to live with this new man who has three daughters. But all is not what it seems. This book delves into the realms of religious extremes and the impact it has on many ...more
Veronica
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I last read this book way way waaaay back when I was still in primary school and it's one profound story that has never quite left me (I can't say that about many books these days). I remember checking it out of the library numerous times, I remember the size of the book, I remember where all of the creases were and the colour of the pages. I thought about this book again the other day and man I would absolutely love to get myself a copy of this and read it one more time.
Sophie D
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. My mum gave it to me when I was about 8 and it'd been in my bookshelf for the longest time and I had always really wanted to read it. This book wasn't what I'd expected at all. It was so short and quick that it never really had a boring moment. The only downside was that it ended at the climax but other than that it was an amazing book about religion and life.
Annika
This was quite an interesting book to read, my teacher chose this book as our term read. Ive never read a book with this sort of topic before and you never seemed to know what was going to happen next. It did take me a while to get into this book and I didnt think the ending was that great either. But overall this book was a good read.
Tiny_83
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Wow! I remembered having to read this book back in High School for required reading! Hahahhaa!

I still remember the general gist of the storyline which just shows how well the writing style is to be able to still recall it after so many years.

This is one of those rare books which I really wished there was a sequel to. For me the ending just left me pondering more.
Nicole
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a teenager, and thought it would be interesting to re-read it as a adult, as I thought it was a great book. I did enjoy reading this book again - probably a little bit simplistic (to be expected as it is aimed at juniors), but I liked the premise.
Sally
I have read this so many times. An absolute gem of a book - creepy and unfair and exciting and scary and everything wonderful! Except I always wanted a sequel... or at least another chapter? And to this day, I am still curious. Sigh!
Laura Morrigan
This book always creeped me out, and yet I read it several times. If you liked this, you might also like: The Passion Flower Massacre http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...
Kristi
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time about 30 years ago and read it over and over again in my teens. This is what started my fascination with cults. It was so scary and sinister and really made you think - the story wasn't spoonfed to you like many young adult books were back then.
Mel
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this numerous times over since I was a young teenager. Now in my early 30's every now and then I revisit a novel from those days! ;) This is pretty cool, but Taronga and (especially) Playing Beatie Bow really are excellent. Worth a read, nonetheless.
Julian
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book at Robert Harris cafe in Greymouth, New Zealand. It is a "bookcrossing.com" book travelling around the world. It is geared towards the young teen audience, yet I couldn't put it down. It took a day to read.
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Deals with a girl whose aunt (who's also her guardian) marrries into a family which is part of a wierd cult. Some pish poshy discussion/exploration on indoctrination, assimilation into belief systems etc, with the only 2 likeable characters eventually escaping into the night.
Rebecca
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because the students at school were reading it for English and it sounded interesting. I didn't really like it. Felt it was missing something. I'm glad I didn't read it at school as I would have hated it.
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over 15 years ago as a teenager and loved it. The story line has stuck with me for a long time and it is one that ignited my love for books. I have not re read it recently and am slightyl hesitant just in case it doesn't live up to the memory. At the time I loved it.
Shanelle Kennedy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in grade 3 at school and loved it so much that I refused to return it, and to this day it's still on my bookshelf :)
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Book with a crazy religion that only lets the followers come out at night. [s] 7 432 Nov 20, 2016 06:24PM
crap 10 17 Apr 06, 2011 04:37PM
  • Del-Del
  • Thunderwith
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Storm Boy
  • Round the Twist (Uncollected)
  • Blinky Bill
  • My Place
  • Cross My Heart
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Wombat Stew
  • Letters from the Inside
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • The Twyborn Affair
  • For Love Alone
  • Little Sister
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Galax-Arena
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...