Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking Blink question

Blink
Blair Smithwick Blair Mar 18, 2018 05:27PM
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell turned out to be an extraordinarily captivating book to read. The author is well-studied in social sciences and he uses many scenarios to explain them in his books. In this particular non-fiction novel, the author explores the subconscious mind and how useful it really is in assisting people in decision making. He discusses ideas such as how we can actually be more successful with the use of limited information versus extended studies of objects and people; the author calls it ‘thin-slicing’. To support his ideas, Gladwell uses relative examples such as science and medicine, gambling, speed dating, and many more. Personally, I really enjoyed this book. Reading this book made me take a step back and analyze personal judgements (stereotypes, prejudices, etc) we make on a daily basis and how we can adjust our thinking to rid ourselves of these negative predispositions. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in social sciences and the reasoning behind why society behaves the way it does. In the end of this mind-blowing read, you will also be able to recognize the difference between good and bad decision making and how to apply it to your daily life.

I read Blink and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Complex subjects are written simply making for an enjoyable read.

The book causes one to look differently at one's life and actions.