What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Game
This topic is about The Game
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy Book - Kids Plays Scavenger Hunt Game In Other Dimension [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (last edited Mar 17, 2018 08:20PM) (new)

Marissa | 2 comments Trying to figure out what book this might be! The book took place sometime in the past, possibly the late 1900's. I remember a girl at this house with several other kids. (She might've been visiting relatives and the house may have been a victorian style). The other kids explained to her a game they played in which they traveled to some other realm. (I believe the doorway was somewhere inside the house or in the surrounding yard). Once they reached this realm, they were to retrieve some sort of object(s) and be the first to do so. The girl saw a man pushing an enormous rock up a hill and noted that each time he reached the top of the hill the rock came falling down yet again (Sisyphus). (Sisyphus was condemned to Tartarus, but I'm not sure if the girl was traveling to Tartarus or if Sisyphus was simply part of this realm in the world of the book). Throughout the book, the adults seemed to be elsewhere. The children were of a range of ages (maybe 8-18) and I recall them being in the yard around the house. The parents must've been relatively wealthy. The odd sort of vibe of the bits I recall seem similar to that of Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and his other works.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 219 comments Maybe Diana Wynn Jones, The Game

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_G...

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5113 comments The Game for the Goodreads link.

message 4: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 2 comments Thank you so much, that's the book!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Game (other topics)