Play Book Tag discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
Archive: Other Books > The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments This is such a special book. It's one that I've loved and treasured for years and years ever since I first read it when I was 8. All the poems and songs are incredible I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing them. I think when all is said and done this is a book about adventure. That little piece of us that wants to experience the great unknown beyond the comfort of our front door.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I read it several times when I was young... but I'm not sure I want to risk spoiling the memory by rereading it now.

Magdalena | 414 comments I know what you mean. I was actually a bit hesitate to reread it for that very reason and I'll admit it was different reading it now but I think at least for me it didn't spoil it if anything. I was able to read it with more insight now knowing how he fought in WW1 and able to see how that might have influenced his writing.

Susie | 4488 comments I have read this several times in my life, most recently reading it aloud to my nine year old son. It was wonderful to introduce it to him and thankfully he loved it too. I’m looking forward to moving on to The Lord of the Rings but I don’t think he’s quite ready. Those Ring Wraiths are pretty terrifying!

Magdalena | 414 comments Yeah that's actually how I was introduced to both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings too. My mom read them aloud to me when I 8 and I loved them immediately but I know why you might be worried about reading him The Lord of the Rings too soon. What my mom did was just skip over the battles or different things she thought I wasn't ready for.