The Sword and Laser discussion

An Unkindness of Ghosts
This topic is about An Unkindness of Ghosts
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #319 - An Unkindness of Blurbs

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
More Pratchett TV coming, and more Rothfuss books?  Plus more deep discussion about an Unkindness of Ghosts, including why blurbs may lead you astray.    

https://www.patreon.com/posts/17575677
http://swordandlaser.com/home/2018/3/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Thought Tom was bang on with his thoughts about aUoG here.

Mark (markmtz) | 2342 comments A timely guest blog by Frank Landis at Charlie's Diary, the blog of Charles Stross.

Solarpunk rising, or how to turn boring bureaucratic meetings into creative fodder

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-...

Landis is the author of Hot Earth Dreams: What if severe climate change happens, and humans survive?

Jacqui Boyum | 4 comments I think you're getting Rivers Solomon's pronouns wrong. From their bio in the book and on their website they are using they/them. Maybe make a correction in an upcoming podcast? It means a bunch to have it respected and represented, especially when talking about someone's work to such a large crowd.

One of the things I love most about sci-fi is that people have been exploring gender rep for way longer than it's been reflected in current society. It's rad it's starting to finally work it's way into society right now.

Love this podcast the most and thanks for all you do. It's something I look forward to every week. You've introduced me to some phenomenal queer/gender-bending authors.

Signed, the pronoun police

https://www.riverssolomon.com/bio

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Jacqui wrote: "I think you're getting Rivers Solomon's pronouns wrong. From their bio in the book and on their website they are using they/them. Maybe make a correction in an upcoming podcast? It means a bunch to..."

Did they make a mistake during this podcast? I must not have noticed. I do remember in the last podcast Tom correctly referred to the author as they.

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Jacqui wrote: "I think you're getting Rivers Solomon's pronouns wrong. From their bio in the book and on their website they are using they/them. Maybe make a correction in an upcoming podcast? It means a bunch to..."

Yes, we do know that Rivers uses they/them. I heard Tom use "they" several times in the show, and other times he was referring to Aster, who in the book uses she/her. If there was a mistake, it was not done intentionally.

message 7: by Dave (last edited Mar 17, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Dave (davexanatos) | 8 comments Just scratching my pedant itch (which is harder now that I've embraced descriptive grammar rules for English). You mentioned the actress that played Laura, and then said "not wolverine".
Comics spoiler:
(view spoiler)
Movie:
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments That's kind of... a major spoiler for Logan...

message 9: by Dave (last edited Mar 16, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Dave (davexanatos) | 8 comments Dara wrote: "That's kind of... a major spoiler for Logan..."

Oops. I was trying to be vague enough that it wouldn't be. I haven't posted on Goodreads before, so I didn't think about spoiler formatting.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments No biggie! :-) I err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers. As Tom said in a previous podcast, I'd hate to be the person who ruined the experience for someone else. I'm sure the Roberator has thoughts on spoilers here.

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6782 comments Mod
Yay, my thread is the title for the podcast!

Also, yeah spoiler tags are always appreciated by me, even if it's about something that's been out for awhile.

terpkristin | 4142 comments A funny story on clocks/time changes.

When we fly the satellites, we have 3 clocks - one for Universal Time, one for local, and one for estimated satellite local (important when in equinox season). We were working on a spacecraft during the time change once and one of the guys (an MIT grad, no less) asked if we were going to change the UTC clock, too.

We blame it on him being tired (it was an overnight shift). :P

I haven't finished listening because I haven't finished the book, but I'm team UTC forever.

Trike | 8456 comments terpkristin wrote: "A funny story on clocks/time changes.

When we fly the satellites, we have 3 clocks - one for Universal Time, one for local, and one for estimated satellite local (important when in equinox season)..."

Whenever I make a math mistake — as I did the other day, which Tassie D caught — I console myself that actual rocket scientists have done the same, sometimes losing multimillion-dollar spacecraft in the process. (Looking at you, Mars lander. Or should I say “Mars impactor”?)

message 14: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I recently had an issue at work where a user in the UK couldn't do something, but I couldn't recreate it.

Turned out to be a time zone issue. All our servers are UTC, but the browser uses local time. It turns out the library the UI uses doesn't support dates, just date times, so it was defaulting to a time of 12 midnight which was then being converted to UTC and resulted in a date change in the UK, but not the US.

Needless to say I'd be in favor of UTC for everyone as well.

message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3945 comments Back when I worked in finance for a smallish entertainment company, we had a CFO that wouldn't approve 25 hours in a day for a security firm (guarding the CEO) since there could only be 24 hours in a day. The AP clerk involved did a comparison of "spring forward" with "fall back" and still couldn't convince him.

Maybe it was a mental block. I still think he was just cheap, though.

message 16: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth | 1041 comments Being based in the UK, I’m definitely in favour of UTC for everyone.

Except I think we should call it by the proper name, Greenwich Mean Time.

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Ruth wrote: "Being based in the UK, I’m definitely in favour of UTC for everyone.

Except I think we should call it by the proper name, Greenwich Mean Time."

The English never stop trying to colonize the world!

message 18: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3532 comments Mod
No to UTC. I like the time confusion ;-)

I love it when Oz goes from 3 time zones to 5 time zones over summer.

description

My boss in Queensland loves it when we start ringing him at 6 AM instead of 7 AM because we forget they don't switch to DST ;-)

message 19: by Alan (last edited Mar 18, 2018 12:58PM) (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 138 comments Brendan wrote: "The English never stop trying to colonize the world!..."
That's re-colonise.
If you transatlantic rebel colonists had remembered your proper place, the world would be a better place. (Trump-less, for a start!)

(Only teasing!)

message 20: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2790 comments Alan wrote: "Brendan wrote: "The English never stop trying to colonize the world!..."
That's re-colonise.
If you transatlantic rebel colonists had remembered your proper place, the world would be a better place..."

How's Brexit coming?

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Alan wrote: If you transatlantic rebel colonists had remembered your proper place, the world would be a better place. (Trump-less, for a start!)."

Not all the North Americans on here are american, you know.

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth wrote: "Being based in the UK, I’m definitely in favour of UTC for everyone.

Except I think we should call it by the proper name, Greenwich Mean Time."

They aren't quite the same. UTC is more precise.

message 23: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 138 comments Rick wrote: "How's Brexit coming?..."
Coming, going, nobody knows. Nobody at all. Total bloody ****-up

If anyone knows where to find a politician who is both intelligent and honest . . . . I will be bloody surprised!

message 24: by Silvana (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1627 comments I want an ARC too..... I reviewed all Divine Cities books! *insert fist shake gif*

Anywho, can we make it a group read? :D

On the Twitter Lambda lit award news, credit goes to Tanya who gave the news here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Interesting list indeed.