College Students! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Reading Goals/ Challenges > Suggestions for the Fall/Winter Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please put any challenge ideas here! Lori and I will then create the challenge from ideas listed!

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Aug 13, 2009 07:44AM) (new)

Some ideas I had:

- Read a book with fall words in the title: Leaves, turkey, pumpkin (we can throw some fall words out there..)
-Read a book with Winter words in the title: snow, ice, candy cane, presents, sled, reindeer, etc.
-September 7th is Grandparents Day--Read a book where one of the main characters is over 65
-September celebrates Yom Kippur--read a book where one of the main characters is Jewish
-National Hispanic Heritage Month Sep 15th thru Oct 15th --Read a book where the main character is Hispanic.
-Talk like a Pirate Day: Read a book with the word pirate, captain, gold, treasure, sea/ocean in it, ship
-Columbus Day: Read a book that either has the name of a famous voyager in the title or is part of the authors last name
-Halloween: Read a Scary/spooky book

Election Day: Read a book about a former or current president or by them.

Rememberance and Armistice Day: Read a book set in WW2

September is Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month..read a book about a person struggling with an addiction

September is Library Card Sign-Up Month: Go to the library and check two books out and read them

Banned Books Week - Celebrate Your Freedom to Read September 24–October 1, 2005 (Banned Books Week 2005 is September 23 - September 30) Web site: www.ala.org/bbooks read a book on the banned book list

Legend Johnny Cash died on September 12th: Read a book about your favorite artist/musician/band/composer

Agatha Christie was born on September 15th: Read a mystery book

Spooky words: Vampire, witch, ghost, etc.
Read a book set during the Christmas season or with Christmas in the title

-The cosby show premiered in 1984 (September 20)--in honor of Bill Cosby--read a book that is comedic/humorous or read a book about a comedian
-The Tv show "Friends premeired on September 22, 1994-- In honor of this hit tv show-- read a book with Monica, Chandler, Joey, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe in the title/ or is a main character/or is part of the authors name

-"Mod Squad" TV Series first aired September 24, 1968 - read a book from the "read" shelves of both of our moderators

-West Side Story" premiers on Broadway, 1955 on September 26th-- read a play or a book that a play was based on

message 3: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments ideas: (I'm sure I'll have more)

-Read a book written in letter form.
-Read 2 books set in DIFFERENT countries (should not be the country you live in)
-Read a book with the full name of a famous person/character in the title.. ex. --Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter
-Read a book about your job/has a character who is in the same job field as you/or a college student.
-Read a book where a vampire, werewolf, witch, or a ghost is one of the main characters.
-February Is African American History Month: Read A Book With A Main Character Who Is African American Or A Biography/Autobiography Of An African American
-Read two of the college students past/present group reads.
-Read a book with love, heart, valentine in the title.
-Read the first book from a series you have never read.
-Read 2 books from Oprah's book club list.
http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsbo...
-New Years: Read a book with either the word new, year, beginning/begin, or start OR a book about one of your New Year's resolutions
-Read a book from Time's Top 100 novels list(http://www.time.com/time/2005/100book...)
-Read 2 books that you already own
-Throwback: Read one book from the 17th century and one from the 18th century.
-Expanding Your Horizons: Read 2 books either written by 2 of these cultures, about one of these cultures or with a main character from 2 of these cultures.

1. African/African-American.
2. Asian/Asian-American (This is not just East Asian -- Chinese, Korean and Japanese -- but also Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, and the Central Asian -Stans.)
3. Hispanic/Latin American
4. Indian/Indian-American (Again, books by Indian authors; not books by white authors set in India.)
5. Middle Eastern (Iran, Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Turkey...)
6. Native Peoples (Can include Native American, Inuit, Polynesian --Maori, Samoan, etc -- Siberian natives and Australian Aborigines.)

So..you might read a book written by someone who is Middle Eastern and Native American. or a book whose main character is Chinese and one who is African American.

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

oh and also everyone..feel free to say which ones you like best so we can gauge which ones seem interesting to you.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) How about reading a book that is related to one of the holidays in the Fall/Winter?(Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

more ideas:

haha I love all these random and obscure holidays.

October 2nd is Farm Animal Day: Read a book with a farm animal in the title-- cow, pig, horse, sheep, goat, chicken, etc.

Read a book with a fall color in the title: red, orange, yellow, brown

Daylight Savings: Read a book with day, night, morning, afternoon, evening, midnight, noon, in the title.

World Peace Day is November 17th: Read a book with peace in the title or about peace.

Read a book by an author who was born in Sept., Oct. Nov, Dec, Jan, or Feb.

-Read a book that takes place around the time of the first Thanksgiving (1621).

-Walt Disney's birthday is December 5th: Read a book with a FAMOUS (not obscure) Disney character's name in the title (ex- Cinderella, Snow White, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, etc.)

Back to School: Read a book a high school required reading list that you have never read.

Read a book set in the 1920's, 30's, or 40's.

New York, New York- Frank Sinatra's birthday is Dec. 12th--Read a book set in New York City.

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments * Use a random word generator (http://watchout4snakes.com/creativity...) to pick a word. This word must be in the title of the book you read for this challenge. You can use the Pick a new word button only 4 times. I would suggest changing the parameters to very common word or common. The word should be a noun, adjective, or verb.

*Read one book from the 1001 Books to Read Before you Die list that is from the 1800's portion of it.

*Read a book from the list of someone in the College Students group who has a birthday in Sept-February.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) read both a historical fiction and non-fiction set in the same period

for halloween- read a scary story

nov. 11 is vertrens day- read a story about a war

Feb 3rd is the day the music died (buddy holly, richie valens and big bobber died in plane crash) read a book about music or a musician

message 9: by Danielle (last edited Aug 13, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Already mentioned that stuck out to me:
- September celebrates Yom Kippur--read a book where one of the main characters is Jewish
- Banned Books Week - Celebrate Your Freedom to Read September 24–October 1, 2005 (Banned Books Week 2005 is September 23 - September 30) Web site: www.ala.org/bbooks read a book on the banned book list
- Agatha Christie was born on September 15th: Read a mystery book
-Read a book about your job/has a character who is in the same job field as you/or a college student.
-Read 2 books that you already own
-Expanding Your Horizons: Read 2 books either written by 2 of these cultures, about one of these cultures or with a main character from 2 of these cultures.
- October 2nd is Farm Animal Day: Read a book with a farm animal in the title-- cow, pig, horse, sheep, goat, chicken, etc.
-Back to School: Read a book a high school required reading list that you have never read
-Use a random word generator (http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytoo...) to pick a word. This word must be in the title of the book you read for this challenge.

My ideas:
Famous Author's Birthdays:
- September 21 is Stephen King's birthday. Read one of his books.
- October 4 is Anne Rice's birthday. Read one of her books.
- November 11 is Kurt Vonnegut's birthday. Read one of his books.
- December 16 is Jane Austen's birthday. Read one of her books.
- January 1 is J.D. Salinger's birthday. Read one of his books.
- February 13 is Judy Blume's birthday. Read one of her books.

Other Random ones I thought of:
- September 24, 1992: Sci Fi Channel (now called Syfy Channel) is launched. Read a book set in an alternate universe.
- December 1953: First issue of Playboy is released. Read a romance or erotica book.

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm loving some of these! So creative everyone!
Danielle..I like the alternate universe thing!

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess I love the Yom Kippur one and the Banned Books Week one. I also suggest that we have an option for participants to read a book that a teacher or professor recommended to them. And if we do something related to Yom Kippur, maybe we can do one about Muslims (the end of Ramadan is in September) - so perhaps a Muslim author.

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Good idea Jess!

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments How about this?
-Pick a book that was really popular, or someone you know raged about, that you swore you would never read.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess Kimberly, I love that idea!

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Good idea! I would have used Twilight for that challenge back when I caved and read it! lol

message 16: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Read 2 book that have 2 words that rhyme in them.

For instance,

The SUN also Rises & The GUN Seller.

Read a book with your favorite color in the title.

Read a book with a number in the title.

I'm SO excited to particiapte in a challenge!

message 17: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments September is Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month..read a book about a person struggling with an addiction

love that ieda

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Chelsea wrote: "September is Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month..read a book about a person struggling with an addiction

love that ieda"

If this is a challenge, Tweak by Nic Sheff and Beautiful Boy by ...I forget his name but, those would be great to read to fulfill that challenge.

message 19: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments some of the books by hopkins like crank or glass would be reat too

message 20: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Ashley, wasn't he Nic Sheff's father?

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa  | 33 comments IDEAS THAT STICK OUT TO ME:

-September celebrates Yom Kippur--read a book where one of the main characters is Jewish
-National Hispanic Heritage Month Sep 15th thru Oct 15th...Read a book where the main character is Hispanic.

-September is Library Card Sign-Up Month: Go to the library and check two books out and read them

-West Side Story" premiers on Broadway, 1955 on September 26th-- read a play or a book that a play was based on

Banned Books Week - Celebrate Your Freedom to Read September 24–October 1, 2005 (Banned Books Week 2005 is September 23 - September 30) Web site: www.ala.org/bbooks read a book on the banned book list

-Read a book from Time's Top 100 novels list(http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/t...)

-Famous Authors Birthdays

MY IDEAS:

-Read a "pair" of books: A classic and then a contemporary book that was inspired by it (ex. Mrs. Dalloway/The Hours, The Wizard of Oz/Wicked, Anna Karenina/What Happened to Anna K., Pride and Prejudice/Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)

-Another "Back to School Idea"...read a book that a teacher/professor has recommended

-Read a book of a form on genre that you don't typically read (ex. A book of essays, a book of letters, short stories, poetry, a fantasy book or historical fiction)

Fun :-)

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather Walton | 6 comments I like the reading a book from with the authors birthday being in this season!!! smart idea!!!
Famous Author's Birthdays:
- September 21 is Stephen King's birthday. Read one of his books.
- October 4 is Anne Rice's birthday. Read one of her books.
- November 11 is Kurt Vonnegut's birthday. Read one of his books.
- December 16 is Jane Austen's birthday. Read one of her books.
- January 1 is J.D. Salinger's birthday. Read one of his books.
- February 13 is Judy Blume's birthday. Read one of her books.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Walton | 6 comments Chelsea wrote: "September is Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month..read a book about a person struggling with an addiction

this subject always tugs at my heart so i vote for this one too!!! there are a ton of books under this subject..

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Read a book that is mentioned in a song. There are soo many options. I'll provide a list if we pick this one..but I'm sure ppl can think of many. For example, Tom Sawyer is mentioned in a Rush song.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments -Read a "pair" of books: A classic and then a contemporary book that was inspired by it (ex. Mrs. Dalloway/The Hours, The Wizard of Oz/Wicked, Anna Karenina/What Happened to Anna K., Pride and Prejudice/Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)

I like that idea!

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments bless the beasts and the children is a book and the title of a carpenters song

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 59 comments There are so many great ideas! This will be my first time doing a challenge, it sounds so fun!

How about also reading a book that is set in the state where you live...

message 28: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments oo that might be fun nut that might be really boring from where i live. i'd have to readabout corn :)

message 29: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 59 comments Corn can be interesting!

message 30: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Some really fun ideas everyone!! This is going to be a great challenge!!

Some other suggestions:

-Support GR authors: Go to explore. Then to authors. and then to Popular authors. Sort by popularity and then pick one of the authors on the list and read a book by them.

-Read a that has a type of drink in the title.

-Read a book about a subject that interests you but you don't know much about (nonfiction)

-In honor of Back to School Shopping, Black Friday, and Christmas shopping, read a book with an article of clothing in the title (hat, dress, shirt, shorts, pants, etc.)

-5 Senses: Read a book that has one of these words in the title: Hear, See, Speak, Smell, Taste ..

- Read a book with one of the four elements in the title: Earth, Wind, Fire, Water

-Read 2 books that have 2 words that are synonyms: for example..reading Little Woman & The God of Small Things

- Read a book that has a human emotion in the title-- mad, sad, anger, fury, etc.

- Read a book about time travel.

- Read a memoir about someone who is around the same age as you (what age they are talking about in the book)

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

-Family Matters: In honor of Jaleel White's (Urkel!), star of the hit show Family Matters, birthday in November..read a book with one of the following in the title- mother, father, daughter, son, sister, brother, etc.

- Read a known classic and THEN read a book of Entertainment Weekly's List called "The New Classics:" The 100 Best Books of the Last 25 Years
(http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20207.... After reading both write a tiny review in our thread about whether or not you think the "new" classic has the ability to stand the test of time.

- Pick one of the following American literary movements from the PBS website and read 2 books from 2 different authors in this literary movement. (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americannovel...) There will be a dropdown that says Literary Movements. There will be a blurb about each along with some important authors in each movement.

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

PS. Ideally I'd love to have this out for you all to see by the 20th as last time around we gave you all 2 weeks from the time we posted the list until the time it started. I'd like to do the same. I'm hoping that Lori and I can put it all together sometime this weekend or at the beginning of the week..so start cranking out your last ideas soon! :)

There are some GREAT ideas thus far and I'm really excited!

message 33: by Gail (ADDgirl) (new)

Gail (ADDgirl) | 23 comments There are so many great ideas I don't know which is my favorite, I am really excited about this challenge.

Ideas:

Winter solstice is in December: read a book with one of these words in the title: solstice, winter, lunar, time, earth, or solar.

Read a book related to another members' major example; I'm a social work major so the book "A Child Called It" is related to my major.

message 34: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Thanksgiving is in November: Read a book about food (not just with food in the title though!)

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Tahleen wrote: "Thanksgiving is in November: Read a book about food (not just with food in the title though!)"

That would be good, I've been meaning to read Julie and Julia, that would be the perfect excuse to read it!

message 36: by Emily (last edited Aug 15, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Wow, I'm excited about this, even if I don't think I'll have much time to read this semester. I'm going to try my hardest! Here are my ideas.

Don't Ask Don't Tell became Public Law No: 103-160 on November 30, 1993. Read a book about LGBT issues, with an LGBT main character, or by an LGBT author.

Pick a person who was born in September-February and read a book about them, by them, or pertaining to their subject of expertise. For example, Marie Curie was born on November 7th. Read a book about her, written by her, or about Chemistry/Physics.

September 1st is Emma M. Nutt Day, and celebrates the first woman telephone operator. Read a book about woman's issues or feminism, about a first for women, or by a feminist author.

September 6th is fight Procrastination Day. Read a book in one day. It must be at least 100 pages long.

September 13th is Defy Superstition Day. Read a book that challenges superstition, tradition, religion, mysticism, or supernatural events, and comment on how the book made you feel and if it made you think differently.

October is Clergy Appreciation Month. Read a book about religion or spirituality or written by a clergymen of some type. Comment on how the book made you feel and if it made you think differently.

October 25th is Punk for a Day Day. Read a counterculture book, a book about counterculture, or a book written by a famous punk/counterculture icon.

October 30th is Mischief Night. Read a romance or erotic book.

November 14th is Operating Room Nurse Day. Read a book with a medical professional as a main character, about a person with an illness, or written by a medical professional.

November 20th is Universal Children's Day. Read a children's book.

December 5th is Repeal Day, celebrating the end of Prohibition. Read a book that has the name of an alcoholic drink in the title, that has a main character who drinks too much, or that deals with alcohol addiction.

December 31st is Make Up Your Mind Day. Read a book that you have been considering reading but haven't been sure you want to put the time into. Tell us how it goes.

Think of something you could never major in. Read a book where the main character is studying/an expert/working in that field, or an non-fiction book about that topic.

I really like the idea to read a book recommended by a teacher/professor. I also like the idea of reading a book that someone told you you shouldn't read because it was bad. Maybe those should be put together for a two book high point challenge.

message 37: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments i am dying t read are you there vodka it's me chelsea that would fit if we had drinks in the title.

message 38: by Bri (new)

Bri (brihickmon) Can you read Animal Farm on Farm Animal Day? Haha.

message 39: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 39 comments i think something that specific would be kinda boring to people who have already read it. mabey any book to do with life on the farm

message 40: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
WOW! What a ton of great ideas. Good luck Lori and Jamie!

If the Goodreads Author one comes up, I recommend The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I just wanted to let everyone know that Jamie and I are going to create our list of categories in a couple of days (maybe this weekend?) so you have a bit more time to get your ideas in. We'll announce the categories about a week before the challenge is set to begin so y'all can compile your lists.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I have another idea.
Christmas is not the only December holiday. There is also Kwanzaa, Hanuka, and the Winter Solstice. In honor of these holidays, read a fiction or non-fiction book about a non-Christian religion or with a non-Christian main character.

Here are some of the ideas that other people said that I like.

Read a known classic and THEN read a book of Entertainment Weekly's List called "The New Classics:" The 100 Best Books of the Last 25 Years
(http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20207076... After reading both write a tiny review in our thread about whether or not you think the "new" classic has the ability to stand the test of time.

Read 2 books that have 2 words that are synonyms: for example..reading Little Woman & The God of Small Things

"Mod Squad" TV Series first aired September 24, 1968 - read a book from the "read" shelves of both of our moderators

Support GR authors: Go to explore. Then to authors. and then to Popular authors. Sort by popularity and then pick one of the authors on the list and read a book by them.

Read a book related to another members' major example; I'm a social work major so the book "A Child Called It" is related to my major.

Read a book from Time's Top 100 novels list(http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/t...)

Use a random word generator (http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytoo...) to pick a word. This word must be in the title of the book you read for this challenge. You can use the Pick a new word button only 4 times. I would suggest changing the parameters to very common word or common. The word should be a noun, adjective, or verb.

September 24, 1992: Sci Fi Channel (now called Syfy Channel) is launched. Read a book set in an alternate universe.

message 43: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I really thought Molly's ideas were fun!!! Especially the word generator one!

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Silvia, I know! There were so many good ideas for this challenge! Jamie and I had a hard time picking the ones for the final challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone picks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.