2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Create A Third Quarter Challenge

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Mar 20, 2018 01:52AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments CREATE A THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE
Duration: March 18 to April 18, 2018

As a part of our celebration we thought it would be fun for you to help us create a challenge for 3rd Quarter! Instead of the Mods deciding on a challenge, we are asking you! We are asking you to create the challenge, and members of the 2018 Challenge will vote on their favorite one!

This year, for the first time, we have Quarterly Themes, and the 3rd Quarter Theme is Reading Through The Decades, but your challenge does not have to belong to that theme. You can choose any theme that inspires you. Quarterly challenges often have several options for members to select from or work through, or can be more open-ended. This challenge should be larger than a monthly challenge and shorter than a yearly challenge.

Check out our past Quarterly Challenges to get some ideas here:
Past Challenges

The challenge winner will be selected by group members by voting on a challenge poll. All third quarter challenge entries must be posted by April 18. The poll will take place from April 19th-29.

We look forward to seeing all of your creative ideas. Good luck! (Each member that submits an entry will receive 5 raffle tickets).

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments One of the most prestigious and oldest prizes in the world is the Nobel Prize. The first Nobel Prize in Literature was awarded in 1901. Its history spans over a century and includes the most outstanding writers of their time.
For this challenge: read as many books written by Nobel laureates as you can.

message 3: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I love to travel IRL and virtually through the books I read. I'd love a challenge that encourages people to read around the world.

A few ways to participate:

Read a book set on each continent
Choose a region/country/continent and read x number of books set there
Read x number of books by authors from different countries

message 4: by Katie (last edited Mar 18, 2018 07:03PM) (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) | 61 comments Because this quarter's theme is Reading Through the Decades, choose one decade and read books from that decade in two or more centuries.

For example, if you choose the '70s, you can read books from the 1770s, 1870s, 1970s, etc. You can read more than one book per century, but must read from at least two centuries.

message 5: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L | 291 comments In the past, a popular challenge has been the Spanning the Globe challenge (a personal favorite.) I propose a challenge of the same strategy, except with years instead of miles.
i.e.
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1991)
2. A Tale of Two Cities (1789)
3. A Farewell to Arms (1917)
1991 to 1789 is 202 years, then 1789 to 1917 is another 128, so that totals 330 years. And so on. Set a goal of years rather than miles and travel through time!

message 6: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments Either pick one decade and read:

X number of books set in that decade.
X number of books published that decade.
X number of books of bestsellers from that decade.
X number of books by authors born in that decade.
X number of books with a character that is the age of the decade (like if you pick the 70's, read a book with a septuagenarian).

Or do the above for every decade starting at a point in time of your choice.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings By, For, and about Groucho Marx

“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.”
- John Grogan, Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

I love all animals. They are one of life's most special treasures, as far as I am concerned. They should be treated with the utmost kindness and respect; and we should do our best to learn about them.

Your challenge is to read books featuring animals of any species. They can be fiction or non-fiction. It does not matter the genre, as long as an animal features at least semi-prominently in the book.

Levels:

1-3 Books: Animal Enthusiast
4-6 Books: Animal Lover
7-9 Books: Animal Protector
10+ Books: Animals' Best Friend

message 8: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Reading through the decades, History edition:

Members choose how many decades to participate and read a book featuring a historical event in each decade, either non-fiction or novelized.

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2999 comments Brilliant ideas so far! Keep them coming :)

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Sorry I'm late to the thread everyone. I was away for the weekend and the internet were bad so goodreads wouldn't load. I love your ideas! Can't believe how creative you members are!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 591 comments I love Meghan's idea! It could be adapted even further so that you could get people to try to total the year they were born in. Example, 1982, 1993, 2000, whatever it may be. That way it might encourage people to read some of the older books so that they can get to the total faster.

Even if that isn't what is happening, I certainly will be doing it! Haha!

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 518 comments Here's my suggestion.... :D

When most people think about decades, they think of a period of 10 years. But any set of 10 things is also a decade.

For Reading Through the Decades, your challenge is to read (or finish) any series of books that contains:

* At least 10 books
* Published over the course of a least 10 years (Bonus!)

Here are some great series to get you started thinking about this challenge:

* The Aubrey-Martin series, by Patrick O'Brian
* Discworld, by Terry Pratchett
* The Riftwar Saga, by Raymond E. Feist
* The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan
* A Dance to the Music of Time, by Anthony Powell
* Jeeves & Wooster, or Blandings Castle, by P.G. Wodehouse
* The Sookie Stackhouse mysteries, by Charlaine Harris
* The Dortmunder crime series, by Donald E. Westlake
* The Alphabet Mysteries, by Sue Grafton
* The Cat Who... series, by Lilian Jackson Braun
* The crime series featuring Chief Detective Armand Gamache, by Louise Penny
* Darkover, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
* How to Train Your Dragon, by Cressida Cowell
* The Nancy Drew mystery series, by Carolyn Keene
* Revisit Ramona and Beezus Quimby, and Henry Huggins with your kids (the two series combined have 14 titles), by Beverly Cleary;
* Or introduce them to the expanded, marvelous, universe of Oz, by L. Frank Baum

There are many more wonderful series from around the world, and across all genres. We can't wait to hear what other series you are reading!

message 13: by matilde (new)

matilde (matiswonderland) | 121 comments I have some that might be fun and challenging

1. Read littérature published during the decade you were born.

2. Read littérature set in you favorite decade or that was published during your favorite decade

3. Start and finish a new to you series during the quarter (bonus if it is a decade series (either a 10 book series, published over the course of 10 years, or published in a decade))

4. Read a decade of books (can be combined with challenges 1 and 2. You could either read 10 books or read a book from every year of a decade)

message 14: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Diane wrote: "Here's my suggestion.... :D

When most people think about decades, they think of a period of 10 years. But any set of 10 things is also a decade.

For Reading Through the Decades, ..."

I didn't know that, I love it ^^

message 15: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments matilde wrote: "I have some that might be fun and challenging

1. Read littérature published during the decade you were born.

2. Read littérature set in you favorite decade or that was published during your fa..."

Thank you Matilde :)

message 16: by Lila (new)

Lila P | 7 comments Read a book about music, set in each music era: Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century.

message 17: by Janneke (new)

Janneke Curiston Read a book from a certain decade and while reading it, pretend you're in that decade yourself. So if you're reading a book from the 60's, dress as a hipster, eat things commonly eaten then and maybe even use their slang words. Once you finish the book, you'll be transported back to the modern day time.

message 18: by Rachel (last edited Apr 08, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments It's always exciting when you reach a new decade in your life, so here's a challenge for that. Read one book where one of the main characters is one decade or less. Read another where one of the main characters is two decades or less, and so on. If the character's age changes through the book, all the easier! Just choose one of the ages.

List the title of your book and the name and age of the main character. Who can read a book with the oldest and the youngest characters??

Ex.
0-9: Room, Jack -- 5
10-19: Rocket Boys, Homer -- 17
20-29: Me Before You, Louisa -- 26
30-39: Black Like Me, John -- 39
40-49: The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom, Corrie -- 48
50-59: Still Alice, Alice -- 50
60-69: Little Women, Marmee -- 60
70-79: Tuesdays with Morrie, Morrie -- 78
80-89: TBA :)
90-99: TBA :)
100+: Twilight, Edward -- 107

message 19: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Thank you for all the great suggestions ^^ I'm exited to see which one ends up winning the poll ^^

message 20: by Marina (last edited Apr 09, 2018 05:11AM) (new)

Marina (themarinabox) | 34 comments Loving all the suggestions and looking forward to the next quarter. I don't know if this will go under the Decades theme but what about :
Friends & Family - Pick a book from each year your (selected) friends & family members were born in.

message 21: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Marina wrote: "Loving all the suggestions and looking forward to the next quarter. I don't know if this will go under the Decades theme but what about :
Friends & Family - Pick a book from each year your (select..."

I like that Marina and it doesn't have to be under the theme :)

message 22: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Thank you to everyone that posted an idea for a future challenge. We love how creative you all are! The moderators have looked at all the entries and I have made a poll out of the ten we think works well for a quarterly challenge.

The poll is up! Make sure to vote on our quarterly challenge! :

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...