Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Publishing a New Edition with CreateSpace

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Hi All--I have a question about something I'm sure many of you have already figured out, so I welcome your suggestions. A couple of years ago I put out a paperback version of one of my books through CreateSpace. I recently decided to completely redo the cover and interior formatting. Changes to the actual content are minimal, although I *did* take the opportunity to fix a few pesky typos--it's a never-ending struggle! Anyway, because of the new cover and new interior formatting I assumed I need to issue it as a second edition, so I've already assigned it a new ISBN, and of course I want to retire the first edition with its pesky typos. My question is: what is the process for that? Do I retire the first edition and then publish the second? And if so, will it lose all its reviews? I would assume not because I will not be pulling the Kindle version, but I'm a little unclear on the process and wary of accidentally doing something that will somehow wipe although the reviews from the book's page.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 100 comments I would retire first.

When you retire and old edition and put out a new, as long as the editions are linked (as in how the ebooks and PB are linked, regardless of publishing source) the reviews remain linked. If you unlink (and retire), however, your reviews and your old cover version will still be on Amazon (as your old book won't be removed, because some people will have copies with the previous ISBN) but they won't show in a collective review count.

I pesonally unlinked all my old covers for my first book (they are still on Amazon as available but don't show up as my prime edition) - but then my reviews came from ebooks primarily. It depends on how many reviews you have, and how much you think they are worth keeping. If you have a lot of good reviews, ask for the books to be linked up. they'll just show as alternative covers on Amazon., the same way 2nd hand books show up. If you unlink, the reviews won't disappear, they will just be in a kind of limbo with your old ISBN book.

If you email Createspace (or KDP) and ask them to link (or unlink) the books, they will do it. Be sure you give the correct ASIN and ISBNs you want linked or unlinked. They're usually pretty swift.

I know it works. My very newbie days saw me cover this ground at least 3 times with my debut...

Hope this makes sense. :)

message 3: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Thanks very much! I figured it was something like that but I was suddenly overcome with panic that I would trip the giant Red Button of Screwups that I'm secretly sure is lurking somewhere in my every interaction with Amazon and/or CreateSpace.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) To be honest, unless you changed the trim size, paper type, or changed the page count by more than 10%, no new ISBN is needed. Since you already did, you're going to still see the book pop up even though it's not in print any longer. Amazon and other sellers won't get rid of it entirely.

message 5: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Yeah...I wanted to use my own ISBN, but once I did that, I rethought my decision, but it was too late. I don't mind having the old book pop in from time to time but I don't want Amazon to be selling it as the primary edition. I will see if I can set it up soon and report back if anything noteworthy happens.

message 6: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Although I *did* change the paper from white to cream--not sure how that affects things.

message 7: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I publish the second edition before retiring the first. Just to make sure there's always one available.

message 8: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments The old edition will still appear on the marketplace.

Changing paper from white to cream will make the book more expensive. It might also alter the spine size.

I changed the cover and title of a recent book. At the beginning of the description, I stated that this was the new look for the first book and then gave its title. Thus readers won't be buying the new look book and then be frustrated that they had already bought the same book albeit with a different cover and title.

message 9: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments An update: When I contacted CreateSpace about it, they immediately retired the old edition, although I hadn't actually asked them to do it, and told me to publish the new edition and request that it be linked to the old edition. I then published the new edition, and asked them to link the two editions, but this time they told me they couldn't do that. However, I contacted Amazon support through AuthorCentral and asked them to link the new edition to my Kindle book. Those are both now linked and when you mouse over from "Kindle" to "Paperback" the new edition is the one that shows up. If you dig around you can still find used versions of the old edition available, but that doesn't bother me. So a bit of confusion, but I think the two books are now linked and I haven't lost any reviews.

message 10: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Right. Ask for Author Central support to link your editions, not Createspace or KDP.

message 11: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments The confusion arose because when I originally asked CreateSpace what to do, they told me that they could link the new paperback edition to the old one, but when I actually asked them to do so, they said they couldn't.

message 12: by Frank (new)

Frank And | 3 comments Useful discussion, thanks. Is it a "new edition" in Creatspace when I fix some formatting (justification) etc.? I upload the new version. Is that enough. Will new purchasers get the corrected version? Same with Kindle, do corrected versions sent through KDP prevail for new purchases?

message 13: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Hi Frank--I think it's only a "new edition" if you change more than 10% of the content, or use a new ISBN (as I did). If you upload a corrected version, either to CreateSpace or Kindle, new purchasers will get the new version, but people who have already purchased the book will not. With KDP, though, you can request that Amazon "push" the changes through to previous purchasers.

message 14: by Frank (new)

Frank And | 3 comments thanks

message 15: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) A new edition in Createspace is when you set up a new title and (optionally) retire the old one. Not when you just upload corrected content to an existing title.

message 16: by Frank (new)

Frank And | 3 comments thanks

message 17: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Thank you, this discussion was exactly what I was looking for.

message 18: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4284 comments Mod
George wrote: "Sincerely, Gary... Editor ... !" "

No bookwhacking. Thanks.

message 19: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

George wrote: "Don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. "

Because you didn't read the rules or the code of conduct.

George wrote: "Don't need to be reprimanded."

Oh? The rules somehow do not apply to you? Explain.

George wrote: "Not all of us know the secret handshakes."

The rules and code of conduct are public, not secret. And if you don't know them, it's because you didn't bother to read them. Thus, yes, you do need to be reprimanded.

message 20: by Edward (new)

Edward Whitehead | 3 comments Thank you for your advice people, this is something I have been wondering how to do.

message 21: by George (new)

George Barker | 2 comments Oh, I see. I can choose "none." Okay. let's see if that works.

message 22: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:38PM) (new)

George wrote: "Most we call a moderator in for you to stop your aggression?"

I am a moderator and I am not being "aggressive". This is your fourth comment. I deleted two for bookwhacking (both signed as editor of "[Title of book]" and one had a link to your book). Now you're arguing instead of complying with the rules. They are not difficult to find (a short version pops up next to the text box whenever you leave a comment), but I will give you the link to the full rules.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Off topic comments being deleted.

message 24: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

George wrote: "I have no idea what your problem is... So, I had to choose our book as the topic because there was no other way to put the question online... rather than spend hours reading about the rules... then it's obvious I am a horrible person... let's just finish this so you can find some others now to apprehend. "

I have no problem. I'm a moderator and I'm here to make sure people are following the rules. I'm not sure why you keep arguing about it.

I have started dozens of topics here and have never had to "choose" my book as the topic. There is an option to do so, but you are not forced to do this.

It takes about three minutes to read the rules. Tops.

I've tried to finish it by asking you to follow the rules. Most of our members do this without being asked. Generally, one reminder is enough and the member follows suit. It's actually kinda rare that things get this ridiculous. But, this is what you want it to be, I guess.

message 25: by Wanjiru (new)

Wanjiru Warama (wanjiruwarama) | 193 comments Thank you for the post. Maybe I've always been mistaken. I've always thought second edition means the second printing, third, fourth, and so forth.

message 26: by George (new)

George Barker | 2 comments Wanjiru wrote: "Thank you for the post. Maybe I've always been mistaken. I've always thought second edition means the second printing, third, fourth, and so forth." yes this is my understanding as well. We didn't publish a new edition, just a new cover. Very confusing ...

message 27: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Jun 23, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

George. Another comment deleted. If you can't let this go, perhaps you need to find somewhere else to play.

If you truly feel wronged for being asked to follow the rules and you continue to feel the need to state your case, you may send me a private message. You are also free to send a message to Ann, the founder of the group. Continuing to complain here is off-topic and very rude to those who are trying to have a discussion. Thanks.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Berry | 9 comments I recently corrected a few typos on my Createspace file and, after uploading it, presumed that these changes would appear in the Preview of the print version on Amazon. They don't seem to have changed and I'm wondering whether this means that the print copies that are now available through Amazon have also not been updated. Is this where I should be asking Author Central to assist?

message 29: by Wanjiru (new)

Wanjiru Warama (wanjiruwarama) | 193 comments Hmmm. The things we have to keep tabs on. I corrected some typos, too, six months ago, but never thought to double-checked whether Amazon updated the print copies. I need to check the copies I have.