Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mackintosh,Clare- Let Me Lie-Relaxed Buddy Read starts April 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31134 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh.

description

Synopsis
The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They're both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents’ deaths. But by digging up their past, she’ll put her future in danger. Sometimes it’s safer to let things lie…

The stunning, twisty new psychological thriller from number one bestseller Clare Mackintosh, author of I Let You Go and I See You.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31134 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments There’s plenty of buzz for this book. Read about this and Sometimes I Lie in Entertainment Weekly. Really looking forward to this one!

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Hi! I would like to participate in this Buddy Read if that's alright? I have never joined a Buddy Read before so I'm sorry if I"m intruding.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments The more the merrier! I should have a copy by the end of the week, so I am up for starting anytime next week.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hey Molly, we are happy to have you join us!

@ Geri.. I saw you were reading that book. I had it on m OverDrive and returned it as I have too many books to try and get through. How is it?

Can't wait to get my copy of Let Me Lie

message 7: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly wrote: "Hi! I would like to participate in this Buddy Read if that's alright? I have never joined a Buddy Read before so I'm sorry if I"m intruding."

Welcome!

message 8: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "@ Geri.. I saw you were reading that book. I had it on m OverDrive and returned it as I have too many books to try and get through. How is it? ."

Sometimes I Lie was recommended by a goodreads friend months ago. Had to wait until this week for it to release in the U.S.. I’m about 20% done. It is good. I don’t know the twist yet. Will let you all know more later!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "@ Geri.. I saw you were reading that book. I had it on m OverDrive and returned it as I have too many books to try and get through. How is it? ."

Sometimes I Lie was ..."

Hmm, maybe I should try again to get it from my OverDrive!

message 10: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3279 comments My library just made this one available to me and I'll be picking it up in a few days. It seems all of my holds have come through at the same time. I may try to jump on if my brain doesn't melt from all the rapid reading!

message 11: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Are we still on track to start reading April 1?

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hoping too, no copy yet for me and since I'm next in queue I'm not going to purchase this one.

message 13: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Kristie wrote: "I may try to jump on if my brain doesn't melt from all the rapid reading! "

LOL It does get easier with practice.

message 14: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly wrote: "Are we still on track to start reading April 1?"

I will probably start a few days early. The first week of April I’ll be busy moving. But I will check in that week to chat about the book.

message 15: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Geri wrote: "Molly wrote: "Are we still on track to start reading April 1?"

I will probably start a few days early. The first week of April I’ll be busy moving. But I will check in that week to chat about the ..."

Thank you! I will start once I see your posts so I don't get too far ahead.

message 16: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3279 comments I'm going to pass on this one for now. I have too many to read all at once and there aren't too many holds at the library that I can't get it back pretty quickly later. Hope you all enjoy it!

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm going to pass on this one for now. I have too many to read all at once and there aren't too many holds at the library that I can't get it back pretty quickly later. Hope you all enjoy it!"

Totally understandable! I'm still waiting for my copy to come in.

message 18: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I have read the book. But bad me, never posted anything! I enjoyed this a lot! The author did a great job at making me care about the characters. I figured out one of the twists early on so rated it only 4 stars. Good writing, though! I will look for everyone’s posts and discuss the book with you all then!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm so tempted to buy it rather than wait but I'm being practical and waiting since I 'm working on the BOM!

yeah, glad you liked it Geri!

message 20: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments I started to read a little today.

Chapters 1 & 2

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I was in a bookstore yesterday and came soooo close to buying this, but I resisted. If I don’t get a library copy soon, though, I might cave.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Ugh I might cave too! A Happy Easter gift to us Brooke? lol
My library is closed Monday. I may not even get it on Thursday. Yikes caving could be a definite possibility here!

message 23: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly, I don’t want to spoil anything for you! But I do remember being drawn in right away into the mystery. (view spoiler) You are just beginning. Can’t wait to see what you think in the next few chapters!

message 24: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Geri wrote: "Molly, I don’t want to spoil anything for you! But I do remember being drawn in right away into the mystery. [spoilers removed] You are just beginning. Can’t wait to see what you think in the next ..."

Thanks, Geri! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was suspicious of Mark! I'm excited to keep reading. I'll let you know how my thoughts change as I continue.

message 25: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Chapsters 3&4

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Ugh I might cave too! A Happy Easter gift to us Brooke? lol
My library is closed Monday. I may not even get it on Thursday. Yikes caving could be a definite possibility here!"

I think I will give it until the end of the week....I have 4 different books in progress that I need to finish, but if I can't decide on what to read after that then I will end up caving on this one.

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Chapters 5&6

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Chapters 7 through 15

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly (view spoiler)

message 30: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Chapters 16 through 29

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Chapters 30 & 31

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!

message 33: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

Haha I’m sorry for all the temptation! It’s just hard to put down, and I don’t want to forget my thoughts as I read. I’m excited to hear your thoughts when you get your copy.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Molly wrote: "Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

Haha I’m sorry for all the temptation!..."

No worries, it feels weird being on the other end and waiting to get a book rather than writing the spoilers and waiting for everyone else to get a copy! I can't wait to discuss with you. I like to do the same; read and write it down before I forget!

message 35: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

Me too, Laura. I still have 2 in progress, but I should be able to finish both of them by tomorrow night. I'm going to buy and start this one Saturday if I don't have a library copy by then.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

Me too, Laura. I still have 2 in progr..."

Woot, woot! My copy came in; I 'll pick it up tonight.

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Laura wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

Me too, Laura. I still ..."

Yayyy! I'm excited to read what you think! I have a little less than 100 pages left.

message 38: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "If my book doesn't come in tomorrow I am caving and buying this one! Molly's spoilers are killing me ; I 'm being good so far and not peeking!"

I am so happy I waited! I just got a notification from the library that my copy is available. I'm going to pick it up tonight also! I'll start either tomorrow night or Saturday.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke and I will be reading your spoilers soon, Molly!

message 40: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly wrote: "Chapters 30 & 31

[spoilers removed]"

Molly (view spoiler)

message 41: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly wrote: "I have a little less than 100 pages left"
I found this book hard to put down too. Interested in what you have to say, Laura and Brooke!

message 42: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I finally started!

Chapters 1-13
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Molly (last edited Apr 07, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Geri wrote: "Molly wrote: "Chapters 30 & 31

[spoilers removed]"

Geri (view spoiler)

message 44: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments The end

(view spoiler)

I’m excited to hear what everyone thinks of the end when they get to it!

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I 've fallen asleep on the couch two nights in a row! Reading has been slack. I just finished an awful book; I 'll start this one tomorrow. Looking forward to reading all your spoilers.

Anyone want to read this one next? Every Note Played by Lisa Genova (It's not going to win in the BOM nominations)

message 46: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Molly (view spoiler)

message 47: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I finally started!

Chapters 1-13
"

Brooke (view spoiler)

message 48: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I didn't get as far yesterday as I planned. I kept getting distracted by life stuff.

Chapters 14-27
(view spoiler)

I'd love to finish this today, but it depends on how distracted I get. It is tough to put down, though!

message 49: by Laura (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Molly wrote: "I started to read a little today.

Chapters 1 & 2

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Geri (last edited Apr 08, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I 've fallen asleep on the couch two nights in a row! Reading has been slack. I just finished an awful book; I 'll start this one tomorrow. Looking forward to reading all your spoilers.

Anyone wan..."

Sounds like you have been overworking yourself! It’s been crazy busy here too. My reading schedule is going very slowly. What book was awful? Just curious.

So sorry about your sister in law’s sister!

« previous 1