What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Tuned Out
This topic is about Tuned Out
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA or younger from the 1960s. I thought the title was something like The Electric Eye and the story included a description of a young boy on an acid trip. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Brady | 2 comments In the late 1960s my 3rd grade teacher read this story to us (NYC). I thought the book was called something like It possibly had a black book jacket and a character named Jimmy I remember thinking it was fascinating but now that I'm a teacher myself, I can't imagine a teacher reading this to a class so maybe my memory is all wrong.

message 2: by Nóinín (new)

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 164 comments Susan E. Hinton's That Was Then, This Is Now has a character (a young boy called M&M) experience a (bad) acid trip. The book is from 1971 though, so it probably isn't the one you're looking for.

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 16, 2018 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephanie A. | 274 comments Tuned Out? I think I remember that having an acid trip; publication date here says 1968 and a character named Jim. Tuned Out

edit: also, not to run roughshod over my own suggestion, but googling variations on your possible title led me to The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, also 1968, though I have not read it and it sounds like it's for an older audience.

message 4: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Brady | 2 comments I think you got it! Tuned Out! I ordered a used copy and the cover is black, looks like an eye (probably where my child self remembered thought the title had "eye" in it. Thank you so much!