Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Fiction General Chat > WHERE and how do you write?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Do you have a quiet corner where you write. OR - do you write in the midst of chaos. OR maybe you have several places where you pen your masterpiece.

Do you use a computer or is it the old fashioned way with pen and paper.

Feel free to post pics of your writing area, but no self promotion of books here

message 2: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) I write wherever and whenever I get the time to just sit and write. Usually, this involves a couch and my laptop. Occasionally, a pen and paper (when I'm trying hard to avoid distractions, or just can't get to a computer). As far as noise levels go, I just put on a pair of headphones and some music that sets the mood for whatever I'm working on. I always have some kind of playlist depending on the piece. I can't do quiet - it drives me nuts.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Computer. It allows me to write as fast as I think. And I live alone. All space belongs to me. Quite happy with that.

message 4: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1478 comments Does social media distract y'all from writing when you're on your computers!?

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Nope.

message 6: by Renee E (last edited Jul 23, 2014 10:21AM) (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Usually curled on the sofa or on my bed, laptop on my lap, Kharma or Tallulah stretched out next to me.

A computer is the only way my fingers can keep up with my head.

I do a lot of pre-writing in my head in the pool. Or in the shower. Something about being in the water.

message 7: by Katheryn (last edited Jul 23, 2014 10:37AM) (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) All the time - hence the need for pen and paper once in a while.

message 8: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 22 comments I can write pretty much anywhere, but I often use the kitchen, because then I'm not far from the fridge. :-) Most of the time I use my laptop. I have tried to handwrite, but I get tired faster doing that than using computer for some reason. Probably just because I'm more used to type. Sometimes I use my sixty year old typewriter for drafts.

message 9: by Eva (last edited Jul 23, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments *sneaks out of work for a second to say hello* Um, yes, social media definitely distracts me ;) And with that out of the way... onto the question!

The medium I use for writing hasn't changed between books, but my location definitely has. For the first book, I wrote on a really comfy couch in a small loft space or on my bed in complete solitude. Since I just started on Instagram, I have a photo of my old writing nook right at hand! http://instagram.com/p/qZoc9Ey-y8/

Now I write on my dining room table, really early in the morning so I don't have any distractions. Here's my usual set up http://instagram.com/p/qZnl1HS-xR/

I use my laptop and I find I can only really get into a good writing groove with Ommwriter. I have to keep my phone in another room so I don't get distracted.

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Renee wrote: "I do a lot of pre-writing in my head in the pool. Or in the shower. Something about being in the water. "

Me too! I get my best ideas in the shower!

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Ommwriter, I hadn't heard of that one. I'm checking it out right now and it looks really interesting.

message 12: by Renee E (last edited Jul 23, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Katheryn wrote: "All the time - hence the need for pen and paper once in a while."

I've always got a notebook hanging around too — and a couple of fountain pens. Gotta have my fountain pens!

message 13: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Lily wrote: "Ommwriter, I hadn't heard of that one. I'm checking it out right now and it looks really interesting."

It's really good! I tried it out back in 2011 and I just can't stop using it now. The images in the background and the background sounds are super stimulating creativity-wise. The only catch is that I have to transfer everything to Word, chapter by chapter and format it there, but I don't mind it at all... not when the program helps me sit there for hours and just write.

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Interesting.

message 15: by Maron (last edited Jul 23, 2014 11:44AM) (new)

Maron Anrow (maronanrow) | 117 comments I'm incredibly boring! I usually write in two places: (1) At my desktop computer at home. It's in my bedroom, so distractions are mostly limited to three needy cats. (2) On a laptop on the chaise armchair in my living room, which is where I am now. But the distractions are more frequent (husband + stepdaughter).

I switch locations depending on which parts of my body currently hurt. Desktop = back hurts more, laptop = wrists hurt more. Can't win. :)

However, I did write on a laptop in the car a few days ago. We've been doing a crazy amount of driving lately and I needed to write, so that was that.

message 16: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Haven't heard of Ommwriter either, will have to go look.
I always try to carry a notebook with me to jot down ideas, get a lot of ideas when I'm driving long distance.
Otherwise, mainly on my little pink laptop (will post a pic soon).Have to stay away from my desktop, otherwise I get too distracted. Also do all my research on my desktop.
I usually write outside on my veranda or when its cold inside what we call the braai room/entertainment area.

message 17: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Maron, ever try one of those computer gloves? I've got the Imak and it's GREAT.

message 18: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Eva wrote: "*sneaks out of work for a second to say hello* Um, yes, social media definitely distracts me ;) And with that out of the way... onto the question!

The medium I use for writing hasn't changed betw..."

Your desk/table is very tidy. My area when I write looks like it's been hit by a bomb.

message 19: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Yolanda wrote: "Your desk/table is very tidy. My area when I write looks like it's been hit by a bomb."

lol. I'm a little on the OCD side. But to be fair, I usually clean it up my before I sit down (if not it's a distraction). It's the dining room table, so it usually looks like it's been hit by a bomb once everyone gets home in the afternoon.

message 20: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) I'm going to have to use Ommwriter now...it looks/sounds awesome and might be just what I need to focus.

message 21: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Maron wrote: "(1) At my desktop computer at home. It's in my bedroom, so distractions are mostly limited to three needy cats."

Do your cats climb all over your keyboard or laptop? This is usually what happens when I sit down to write: https://twitter.com/EvaVanrell/status...

message 22: by Maron (new)

Maron Anrow (maronanrow) | 117 comments Renee, thanks for the recommendation for Imak! Years ago I wore wrist braces while typing (I can't remember why I stopped). Imak looks pretty good. I might get a pair.

message 23: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) I think I'd get frustrated using Ommwriter then have to move it to Word.

message 24: by Renee E (last edited Jul 23, 2014 12:01PM) (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Maron wrote: "Renee, thanks for the recommendation for Imak! Years ago I wore wrist braces while typing (I can't remember why I stopped). Imak looks pretty good. I might get a pair."

I tore my wrists up working in a toothbrush factory and the Imak has saved me a lot of pain, although I think I've got most of the damage healed up now — bellydancing, of all things, lol.

It also saves wear and tear on the restpads on my poor, overworked little Macbook.

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) The concept of Ommwriter is good though. I use OpenOffice, been using it for years. Any file format, anywhere, anytime. I'm thinking I could make some adjustments, use OpenOffice, and emulate the concept of Ommwriter.

message 26: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Just had a quick look at Ommwriter, I'm still clueless, and they just ask for a donation?

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Yep, minimum 4.11$, I assume that's USD. All donations have to end with a 1, for some reason.

message 28: by Eva (last edited Jul 23, 2014 12:16PM) (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments I don't know how purchasing Ommwriter works outside of the Mac App Store. I think a friend of mine downloaded it for her PC by paying a $5 donation through their website. I know it costs me $5 for iPad or for the Mac OS. If I recall correctly, the website has a trial version of the older software that you can try.

And the reason I love the program so much is that it removes all distractions for formatting, word processors, internet, etc etc. It takes up the whole screen on my laptop and it has these background images and background sounds that really help you immerse yourself in your writing. I get really inspired when I use it. And since I already go over a chapter several times before I'm okay moving to the next, I don't mind getting the chapter down on Ommwriter first and then formatting it in Word once the creative part is done.

message 29: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Yep, looks like they're donation based. You set the price based on what you think you feel it's worth (oddly similar to the tarot readers around Jackson Square). They have a suggested price of $4.11

http://www.ommwriter.com/en/download....

message 30: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Yes, what Lily said... ;)

message 31: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Thanks Eva, I think I'll try the trial version first. Lily I think the 1 on the end has something to with 'luck'

message 32: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) Has anyone used Scrivener?

message 33: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I tried Scrivener. Glad I didn't waste my money on the free trial.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes Scrivener, but there does seem to be some misconceptions. The software was created by an author who freely admits the design is for the purpose of creating the next American novel. That aside, it does have flaws, and I found it hugely distracting.

End result, for me, it was like working with another person's brain.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 81 comments I have trouble writing if I'm not watching baseball. I tried it with soccer and tennis but found that was just too distracting. It has to be baseball.

message 35: by Maron (last edited Jul 23, 2014 01:14PM) (new)

Maron Anrow (maronanrow) | 117 comments Eva wrote: Do your cats climb all over your keyboard or laptop? This is usually ..."

Yes! Exactly like your picture (apparently black cats are big fans of sitting on people's laps while they work, because that's what my two do. My tabby does not. :)). I consider cats to be an essential part of the writing environment. Their affection and cries for attention are like moral support, and they help with "focus training" by sticking their butts in your face while you work.

So, "where and how do you write"? Covered with cats.

message 36: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Avila (katheryn_avila) I only have one cat, but he is definitely counted among my many distractions. Most of the time he's a jerk - only when I'm writing does he want to snuggle. It's like he knows.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 81 comments I turn the internet off when I know it will distract me. If I need a thesaurus or something I just pull out an actual copy of one.

message 38: by Nick (new)

Nick | 96 comments I've got a little office that I use for writing. Sadly it defies all known laws of thermodynamics and manages to be the hottest room in the house in summer and the coldest in winter. Currently it's like an oven with a laptop in it.

I use my laptop with MS Word for writing. And I always remember to wear my Writing Hat.

message 39: by Eva (new)

Eva Vanrell (evavanrell) | 364 comments Maron, Katheryn - cats definitely know. They don't like you paying that much attention to anything but them. Then you finally give in, take a little break to pet them and off they go! That said, I wouldn't change my little writing partner for the world. She keeps me on task :) Focus training... priceless.

message 40: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 87 comments I usually set up my laptop in the dining room. I can usually tune out any distractions but if I really need quiet I go upstairs.

message 41: by Tiger (new)

Tiger Gray (tiger_gray) | 291 comments In coffee shops, on a laptop, slowly.

message 42: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) At work on breaks and when I'm serious about getting something done I'll hide in the kitchen where the TV is far less distracting.

I can't do it by hand anymore though. Takes too long. On a computer I can get my ideas out much faster.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments I write when and where I can. With a full time job, 3 kids, a zoo, and home schooling my oldest child, writing usually takes place in 5 to 10 minute spurts on the couch with my laptop or for a bit before passing out at night. My phone distracts me terribly. So does Goodreads...

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Veracruz (melissaveracruz) | 60 comments I have journals that fit in my purse and a constant supply of pens. No need to have electricity or very much light even.

I write in the kitchen while cooking, in the bedroom, the living room, car rider line, the porch, long car rides.

I got a Windows tablet that runs office, so as long as I have a charge, I can type anywhere too. The place I type usually is this triangular mini table from IKEA. It fits my journal, tablet, and coffee mug.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I write at work, in the break room where it's quiet. or anywhere I get an idea, really. Mostly quick little ideas though. Then I write in my room, music blasting so I can concentrate. Since I'm currently lacking Microsoft Word on my laptop, I use a notebook. and then I just love going back with a fountain pen to edit.

message 46: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) When I've been writing for hours, one of my pet pooches, Mooshu, (maltese) comes in and starts barking at me for attention. He won't stop until I pick him up, so he sits half on the desk and half on my chest, head on my shoulder and I type away. Will have to take a selfie.

I take my tablet everywhere with me so that when I get a bright idea I can write it down, but have to say I still prefer pen and paper for jotting things down.

message 47: by K.P. (last edited Jul 24, 2014 12:28AM) (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 519 comments What desk? Its been overrun by my to-read list. My laptop is with me constantly and I can write anywhere as long as I got my music. I've written on the bus at the bus stop where ever I had time to write. Other people don't bother me since I can tune them out.

I used to write by hand and had tonnes of 3 subject notebooks around but arthritis caught up and i can type as fast as I think until I need a break.

If I'm out and about without laptop I have my tablet or PDA or phone for jotting notes or even full chapters. Polaris office I love you.

Lately I been at the library as the a/c is out again and its the only cool place where my overheating laptop can survive (it's frigid in there). I already got some awful burns on my thigh -_- ah being a poor writer sucks.

message 48: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 85 comments On my bed with a laptop (often accompanied by cats).

message 49: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 395 comments @KP: Check out Amazon, BestBuy, etc. You can find a laptop cooling pad for under $20. Well worth the investment. Saves more than your legs, saves your hard drive.

message 50: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
I usually write sitting at my desk on my computer. Sometimes If inspiration comes while i'm not at the computer I will write using my memo pad app on my phone. Also if I am really inspired but don't feel like going to the computer I will break out the ole pencil and paper and write.

« previous 1