Advance After Combat discussion

We need a topic! What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments Ok, what's the point of being on goodreads if we don't post something?

What are you reading?

I almost always read a fiction book and non fiction book at the same time.

Currently, I am slogging through
The Thirty Years War Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson
It's actually good, just huge!

On the Fiction front I just ripped through the remaining books in the Joe Pickett series by C J Box. Very cheesy and fluffy. Good for summer reading. The last one I finished:
Stone Cold (Joe Pickett, #14) by C.J. Box

message 2: by John (new)

John Allgood | 4 comments I am in the midst of doing the same. I'm trying to get through The Afghan Way of War: How and Why They Fight. The first part was a very academic historiographical essay (it reads like the first chapter of a Ph.D. dissertation - which it probably was). Im currently into the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War (1878-79) and it gets much better.

I needed some fluff to keep my brain somewhat focused. I just finished Half a King. It was a very quick read - done in about a day or so. A crippled prince, not the heir, quickly becomes king and loses his throne. A nice little book and the first in a series - the remainder will be published late this year.

Presently, in the lighter category as well is Prince of Fools. Only just started and another fantasy in the vein of George RR Martin.

message 3: by John (new)

John Allgood | 4 comments Mitchell wrote: "Dare we pick a book and read/discuss it as a group?"

Any suggestions? Any preferred genre?

message 4: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments I'm in as long as we can drink during the discussion.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Young (rockinghorsedreams) | 9 comments Mod
I'm reading Infinite Jest. It's probably going to take me the rest of the year.

message 6: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments I'm about 100 pages further into The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy. Talking about Gustavus Adolphus, which is cool.

For my fiction, I am reading some Charles Sheffield -- Divergence. Already finished Summertide, it was just ok. The 2nd book is picking up a bit.

message 7: by John (new)

John Maag | 1 comments I've got about 60 pages left in Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction. Hoping to get through it quickly as I'm thinking of starting The Guns of August

message 8: by darthmunz (new)

darthmunz | 2 comments I'm about half way through Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage. Great book so far.

message 9: by darthmunz (new)

darthmunz | 2 comments Mitchell wrote: "John wrote: "I am in the midst of doing the same. I'm trying to get through The Afghan Way of War: How and Why They Fight. The first part was a very academic historiographical ess..."

Thanks! I didn't know Joe A. came out with a new book. On my list to read now as well!

message 10: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments Just finished Cinnamon and Gunpowder. Not bad. A mix of pirates and cooking. Very readable.

message 11: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments Yep..

message 12: by Jason (new)

Social media is dead.

I'm still reading Infinite Jest, so I haven't had anything to say.

message 13: by John (new)

John Allgood | 4 comments I'm in.

Any thoughts on a book? Genre? Fiction (I'm guessing sci-fi or fantasy) or History (warfare oriented - time period?).

message 14: by Jason (new)

I'd be up for that. I'm reading Matterhorn right now which is good but war novels always kind of just make me wish I was reading a memoir instead. I see the value of them, but I'm distracted by trying to parse out what actually happened.

My votes:
History: If I Die in a Combat Zone: Box Me Up and Ship Me Home if a novel counts. If not: Homage to Catalonia

Sci-fi: Leviathan Wakes
Grab bag: A Sport and a Pastime

We could always read: OpTale

message 15: by Jason (new)

Mitchell wrote: "We could always read: OpTale

Can you send me a signed copy? Apparently, it's not available anywhere."

I would have to buy some. I don't even have a finished copy myself. I should get on that.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Mitchell wrote: "http://www.lulu.com/shop/jason-young/..."
That's the one. I bought quite a few, but gave them all away. I'll get more.

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe Heaney | 1 comments A couple of ideas:

History: Concise History of the Crusades

Sci Fi: Leviathan Wakes +1

Grab Bag: SPQR I: The King's Gambit

message 18: by John (last edited Jan 08, 2015 08:50AM) (new)

John Allgood | 4 comments Here are a few books I'm interested in reading.

History:Another Man's War by Barnaby Philips (African soldiers in Burma during WWII)

SciFi/Fantasy: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell (he wrote Cloud Atlas which is fabulous) and The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (Groundhog Day meets WWII and time travelers)

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments Here's my thoughts:

History: Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power

Sci-Fi: The Stars My Destination

Grab Bag: The Iron Dream - (Sure it can be called Sci-Fi, but I don't care.)

message 20: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Brooks | 3 comments Let's do this!!!!!!!!

message 21: by EggSalad (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments I'm in.

I've read Leviathan Wakes, so that's a +1.

About to get The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy back from the library, but probably not a good book club book.

message 22: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Brooks | 3 comments Danubia is fucking awesome. Very irreverent and fun.

message 23: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Brooks | 3 comments Catastrophe is really good too, in a different way.

message 24: by EggSalad (last edited Jan 08, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

EggSalad | 8 comments I was about to buy an ebook copy of OpTale, but fucking pdf format, srsly? Grrr. Is there a way to get an epub or mobi format? -- these convert well in calibre. pdf format is shitty on a e-reader and does not convert well.

message 25: by Jason (new)

EggSalad wrote: "I was about to buy an ebook copy of OpTale, but fucking pdf format, srsly? Grrr. Is there a way to get an epub or mobi format? -- these convert well in calibre. pdf format is shi..."

It's something I've thought about doing, I just kind of forgot about the book for a while.

In fact I just looked through an old hard drive and it doesn't look like I even have the final version in word anymore. I'll have to try to recover it from the PDF to convert it.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments Mitchell wrote: "http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1797..."

Awesome, thanks!