Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General IR Book Discussion > Something You've Found Funny In An IR or Non-IR Book (Beware Of Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6568 comments Mod
While waiting to see the doctor today, I've read a little to Cindy Gerard's To The Edge.

Nolan is a bodyguard that was hired by Jillian's father to protect her, because of threats she's getting.

Jillian is stubborn. She doesn't want a bodyguard. That storyline rings a bell to me. My story - His Bodyguard. Marcus doesn't want a bodyguard, especially Randy, because she's a woman. I have been thinking about His Bodyguard since last week. I need to get back to this story soon, because scenes are running in my head.

Away back to Jillian and Nolan. I'm going to give the short version. Jillian is being stubborn and Nolan tells her that she could go run back to her father, if she doesn't want to make this bodyguard thing work.

Jilian didn't like that. She roundhouse punched him.

Funny moment: I've laughed and didn't care who was looking at me, when Nolan told Jillian: "Hit me again, though, and we might just have to have a little come-to-Jesus meeting. You won't like it."

Everytime I think about that part or go back and read it, it makes me laugh.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
That is really funny, Arch!

message 3: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle wrote: "That is really funny, Arch!"

Yes, it is. I am laughing at it now.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments That was funny! LOL.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I remember reading a NON IR book called A Man Like Mac by Fay Robinson. It was a Harlequin Superromance. The hero is a parapalegic in a wheelchair. I'm going to try and condense this really long scene. During the first night that he and the heroine sleeps together he accidently wets the bed because he forgot to prepare himself for bed like he normally does so this very thing doesn't happen. Well, while he's changing the wet bed sheets and coming up with a million reasons why they shouldn't be together ( because he's really embarrassed about wetting all over the bed and her) she sits down in his laps and pees all over him. She then gets off his lap and says very calmly, "Now, we're even."

Yeah, it may be gross, but I also thought it was funny.LOL.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
That's really funny and strangely touching, Debbie.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I thought it was great! The heroine knew why he was trying to break up with her and she wasn't going to let him get away with because it didn't bother her at all. She was surprised when she first woke up and found herself and the bed wet, but once she realized what had happened it no longer mattered to her, but it did to him, so he tried to everything in the book to make her realize that her being with a parapalegic would not be a good idea.

Once he got over the shock of her peeing on him, he thought it was hysterical and told her that it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him LOL.

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Debbie,

That was the heroine's way of telling the hero, big deal.

Oh, I guess I should state that To The Edge is not interracial in my original post then again, I will just indicate when a book is IR. If I don't then I'm talking about a Non-IR book.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I knew that LOL.

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Debbie wrote: "I knew that LOL."

My bad, LOL. It seems as if I was telling you, as in telling you what the action meant and I wasn't doing that Debbie. I was replying to what you have said, wanting to show an awwww, to the heroine's action towards the hero.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments And I was talking about you explaining that To The Edge is not an IR and that if you are talking about an IR you will indicate it's an IR, and if you'r not talking about one then you won't idicate that it's an IR.............I knew that LOL.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments R we confused yet? LOL.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Debbie wrote: "R we confused yet? LOL."

LOL! We're straight! :)

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Debbie wrote: "I thought it was great! The heroine knew why he was trying to break up with her and she wasn't going to let him get away with because it didn't bother her at all. She was surprised when she first w..."

I need to grab a copy of this book. I love the ones with h/h who is not perfect (has physical issues).

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Me too. I have a disability myself so when the hero or heroine has a disability I can relate to them even if their disability is different from mine.

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I relate in the sense that I have always felt different and less than perfect even though I don't have a disability. I had mild scoliosis as a girl and I had a hip luxation, so I walked funny. I always got made fun of for being shy and my weight. So I tend to think of myself as an outcast. I like the idea that love is for all people, not perfect princesses and princes.

message 17: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Debbie wrote: " I remember reading a NON IR book called A Man Like Mac by Fay Robinson. It was a Harlequin Superromance. The hero is a parapalegic in a wheelchair. I'm going to try and condense this really long s..."

This sounds like an interesting book, Debbie. I need to look this up.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

I will have to check the book out Debbie.

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I hope you find it. It's a pretty old book.

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'll probably will one day Debbie. Maybe my library will carry it or get it from another library.

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Ok, I just went looking for it and found it at Amazon.com. And it's not as old as I thought. It came out in 2000.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

Okay thanks Debbie.

message 23: by JeanieandJayha (new)

JeanieandJayha | 139 comments Debbie wrote: "I thought it was great! The heroine knew why he was trying to break up with her and she wasn't going to let him get away with because it didn't bother her at all. She was surprised when she first w..."

omg that is touching...without the context it may seem gross, but with it, it simply seems like a loving gesture and she has a great sense of humor.

message 24: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments Debbie wrote: "That was funny! LOL."

That is so funny. I dated a guy in a wheel chair and at the time I lived on the second floor in an apartement with no elevator. He would never let me take his wheel chair up stairs for him.

message 25: by Arch , Mod (new)

J. wrote: "That is so funny. I dated a guy in a wheel chair and at the time I lived on the second floor in an apartement with no elevator. He would never let me take his wheel chair up stairs for him."

How would he get to your apartment?

message 26: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments He had some weight bearing strength in his legs so he would sit on the stair and scoot up one by one pulling his wheel chair behind him. What was funny is we would get back from clubbing at all hours of the night and he would be bump bumping up the stairs and people would come out ready to complain about the noise, see him and scoot back into their apartment and we would be laughing our butts off.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Wow. I bet he was ripped. Doing all that upper body lifting.

message 28: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments Oh Yeah. Turned out to be quite the player though. Just goes to show are people are people. But we had so much fun. I actually learned a lot about living life and taking nothing for granted.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's a good lesson.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments I was recently reading my review of Passport Diaries, an IR novel by Tamara Gregory, when I was reminded of a funny passage in the book (the book is very nicely written, very witty throughout).

The main character Kia goes on a European vacation, while in England, Kia is touring Buckingham palace listening desultorily to the ever so proper Prudence, their tour guide, when they come upon the portrait of Queen Charlotte. To Kia's surprise, Queen Charlotte is rather dark complexioned and she exclaims aloud:

"Look at her coloring. She's damned near a Hershey's kiss compared to her husband. And look at her nose. It's as wide as Asia!"

"It is no secret...." Prudence struggled to find the right words "That due to calculated and frequent interbreeding many European blue bloods can trace their roots back to Margarita de Castro y Sousa, a Moorish branch of the Portuguese aristocracy."

Translation: Sistagirl was black!

I remember laughing aloud at this passage and many more in that book.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's actually true. There is some coffee in the British royal family. :)

message 32: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:29PM) (new)

I love me some Cole Clayborne. I like his humor and honest, amongst other things.

In For The Roses. Eleanor, his sister Mary Rose's friend wants to know what would Cole do, if she would have been killed, due to her being left on the side of the road.

Let me give a brief summary of Eleanor. She's a royal pain. She treats Mary Rose like she's her slave. But, her behavior changed one day, after she was left on the side of the road by Harrison. He made her believe that she was voted out of the house, because she basically have gotten on everyone's nerves. Mary Rose's sweetheart. Cole had other people watching her, but the other men have gotten tired of her complaining. So, eventually, Noah had to go see about her. Well, he wind up kissing her and telling her that she had to change her ugly ways.

Getting back to Eleanor wanting to know what Cole would do if she was killed. Oh, let me state that she told Mary Rose what happen and Mary Rose wasn't happy with Harrison or Cole.

I'm sharing passages.

Eleanor: "What would you have done, if I'd been killed?"

Cole: "That didn't happen. You're sure a sight whe your cheeks get all flushed."

Eleanor: "Answer my question,"

Cole: "Fine, I'll answer. I guess I'd bury you."

Of course she ask him more questions.

I found his answer to be funny, because Cole is a honest person and he has a warp sense of humor.

As I have said above, Eleanor ask more questions. Well eventually, Cole tells her that he would come home and tell Mary Rose what has happened (Eleanor getting killed) and what he has done (Burying her).

After his statement Eleanor asks. "And then what would you do?"

Cole: "I'd guess I get a beer."

LOL, Cole is bad!

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Too funny, Arch.

message 34: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle wrote: "Too funny, Arch."

Yes, it is Danielle. That's my Cole!

message 35: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments I just finished Annie's Song. By the way, it's a lovely historical book, but not interracial.
Anywho, there was a funny scene where the pregnant heroine (who is deaf and painfully naive) is frantically searching her bed and the husband and housekeeper have no idea why. After a bit of probbing they discover that she thought people lay eggs like chickens or birds and was searching for her egg. So much for sex ed.

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love Annie's Song. One of my favorite books.

message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

I thought the hero's statement was funny, from the book that I am reading now. Texas Gun Smoke. The hero and heroine are in New Orleans and taking the stairs to the heroine's apartment. The hero didn't know that the heroine's apartment was on the third floor and how steep the stairs were.

Jaclyn: "The apartment is on the third floor.... It's a deep climb. Would you like me to take my duffel?"

Bart: "No, just call for a paramedic if I pass out from lack of oxygen. Can't see how anyone lives cooped up like this."

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That is funny, Arch.

message 39: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle wrote: "That is funny, Arch."

The hero says some other funny things in this book.

message 40: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I think the funniest thing I've ever read in a book (unfortunately it isn't IR or Romance) was in The Vampire Lestat. After Marius tells him his story about Akasha & Enkil (Those Who Must Be Kept) and he tells Lestat that he must never tell anyone anything he's shared with him, that it must be kept secret. Then Lestat says:

"What would you do to me if I told someone?"

I dropped the book I laughed so hard. I've just had people tell me things about their lives and then made me promise not to tell anyone. Usually they were things I didn't find much of a big deal about and wouldn't have told anyone anyway, so I just for once wanted to throw this at someone. I never did, but it was funny to me.

I'm a dork.

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Not a dork at all. That is pretty funny. It's like yeah I'm so scared of you...