Flights of Fantasy discussion

FoF Annual Series Challenge > 2018 Series Challenge - Scoring/Progress for Nyssa

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments My Series Challenge Goal: [TBD] Series Book(s) Every Month

Points & Rules are based on the original 2014 Challenge, as well as my own Personal Tweaks.

Scoring Chart :

1. Complete Monthly Goal = 50 points
Explanation :(view spoiler)

2. Read any book in a series that isn't the 1st = 10 points.

3. Re-read any book, including the first book, in a series = 10 points.
Explanation :(view spoiler)

4. Read the 1st book in a New Series after completing Monthly Goal = 10 points.
Explanation: (view spoiler)

5(a). Write a Review (5 sentences or more) of your Series Book = 25 points.
5(b). Short Reviews (fewer than 5 sentences) = 5 to 20 points (5 points per sentence).

Penalties :

6(a). Begin a New Series before completing the Monthly Goal with a NSC = -10 points.
6(b). Begin a New Series before completing the Monthly Goal without spending a NSC = -20 points.
-Books chosen for FoF group reads are exempt from this penalty and may be read without using credit.
-Books chosen as Group Reads for a group other than FoF will incur a partial penalty of -5 points.

Completing Series Bonus Points :

7. Complete a Duology (2 books) = 15 points.

8. Complete a Trilogy or Small Series (3-4 books) = 20 points.

9. Complete a Medium to Large Series (5-9 books) = 30 points.

10. Complete a Huge Series (10 or more books) = 40 points.

Sub Series Bonus Points :

11. Begin a Sub-series = 10 points.

12. Complete a Sub-series (2 or more books) = 20 points.

13. Complete a Series that has 2 or more Sub-series = 25 points.

Bonus Stories Bonus Points :

14. Read a Stand-Alone that takes place in the same world as the main series = 10 points.

15(a). Short Stories = 2 points each.
15(b). Short Story Anthologies / Collections = 10 points.

"New Series" Credits :

16. Completing the Monthly Goal = 1 NSC

17. Completing a Trilogy or longer series earns 1 NSC.
-Abandoned series do not qualify for NSCs

18. A New Series Credit can be purchased for 500 points .

Abandoned Series :

19. A series can be dropped/abandoned for 500 points.

Series dropped after a minimum of 2 books can earn 1/2 of the normal "Complete a Series" points (based on the number of books already published at the time the series was abandoned). They do not, however, qualify to receive any NSCs.

HAVE FUN! :-)

message 2: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Example of the Points System :

Clover Omnibus by CLAMP Clover Omnibus
Series Challenge Info :
Series: Clover
Book#s: 01 through 04
Monthly Goal [04 / 01]

- Read any book in a series that isn't the 1st = 10 points.
(This omnibus contains four books. Each book after the 1st earned 10 points for a total of 30 points.)
- Write a Review (5 sentences or more) of your Series Book = 25 points.
(This review was written for the series as a whole, so it earned the standard 25 points. However, if a review had been written for each book individually, they would earn a maximum of 100 points, depending on the length of each review. )
- Begin a New Series before completing the Monthly Goal or without spending an NSC = -20 points.
(The omnibus was the first series read of the month, so the first book was read before the monthly goal was completed).
- Complete a Trilogy or Small Series (3-4 books) = 20 points.
- Completing the Monthly Goal = 1 NSC
- Completing a Trilogy or longer series earns 1 NSC.

Tally = 115 points and 2 New Series Credits

message 3: by Nyssa (last edited Jan 15, 2018 09:12PM) (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments My goals for 2018 :

1. Sookie Stackhouse series - Reread (Books 1-9) & Complete (10-13) [including bonus stories]
2. The Hollows series - Reread (Books 1-7) & Complete (8-13) [including bonus stories]
3. The Demon Cycle series - New to Me
4. Codex Alera series - From my Wishlist [Received all 6 for Christmas :)]
5. The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings - Reread
6. Innkeeper Chronicles - Reread (Book 1) & Complete (2-3)

Series reading goal is four books per month.

Current Points & Credits:

Total Points Earned: 190 || Points Spent: 000 || Points Remaining: 190

New Series Credits Earned: 001 || Credits Purchased: 000 ||
Credits Used: 000 || Credits Available: 001

Number of Series Completed: 00
Number of Series Abandoned: 00

message 4: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Reserved

message 5: by Nyssa (new)

message 6: by Nyssa (new)

message 7: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Monthly Goal: [01 / 04]

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris Dead Until Dark
Author: Charlaine Harris
Review: 4 Stars
Series: Sookie Stackhouse
Book#: 01

- Re-read any book, including the first book, in a series = 10 points.
- Write a Review (5 sentences or more) = 25 points

Tally = 35 points and 0 New Series Credits

message 8: by Orlok (new)

Orlok Do I really get a FIRST!!!?

message 9: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Yes! Yes, you do! :D

message 10: by Orlok (new)

Orlok My first FIRST! :D

message 11: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Orlok wrote: "My first FIRST! :D"

Congratulations! :D

message 12: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I love Demon Cycle!

message 13: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Dawn wrote: "I love Demon Cycle!"

Oh cool! The group Fantasy Book Club Series is reading it now and the group Fantasy Buddy Reads will start reading it in June. I will be reading it along with them.

message 14: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I want to finish that, but it's been so long since I read the first few books that I don't remember squat.

message 15: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Chris wrote: "I want to finish that, but it's been so long since I read the first few books that I don't remember squat."

Re-read! Hahaha... Just kidding. Maybe there is a summary somewhere? I need one too!

message 16: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Heh....good one...

I'll keep an eye out...

message 17: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Monthly Goal: [02 / 04]

The Turn The Hollows Begins with Death (The Hollows #0.1) by Kim Harrison The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death
Author: Kim Harrison
Review: 3 Stars
Series: The Hollows
Book#: 0.1 [Prequel]

- Read a Stand-Alone that takes place in the same world as the main series = 10 points.

message 18: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Monthly Goal: [03 / 04]

Blood Work (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #1) by Kim Harrison Blood Work
Review: 3 Stars
Book#: 0.2 [Prequel]

- Read a Stand-Alone that takes place in the same world as the main series = 10 points.

message 19: by Orlok (new)

Orlok You are motoring! I'm already one book behind and soon to be two. Well done.

message 20: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Orlok wrote: "You are motoring! I'm already one book behind and soon to be two. Well done."

Thanks. :)

I know you'll catch up to your challenge (and surpass me).

This last one is a bit cheaty, as its a 169-page graphic novel.
By comparison, The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death was 448 pages (or 510 pages according to my Kindle).

message 21: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 506 comments I totally missed this thread! :O
Seems a great idea for keeping up to date with series and avoiding starting new ones until you've finished your current ones!
I might have tried it too, but I'm doing too many challenges as it is.... maybe next year! :D

message 22: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 506 comments Is this a challenge you start when the new year starts, or do you carry on from the previous year?

message 23: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I was initially going to carry it forward, but I had such an abysmal track record with this particular challenge that I opted to start new this year.

message 24: by Orlok (new)

Orlok Nyssa wrote: "This last one is a bit cheaty, as its a 169-page graphic novel.
By comparison, The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death was 448 pages (or 510 pages according to my Kindle)."

I don't think it is cheaty, as you say it balances out when some books are much longer than average. The two books I have on the go (one ebook, one audio) are 445 and 432 pages respectively, which is why it's taking me a while to catch up (I've actually just started a quicker read of 304 pages to help bolster my numbers - I don't usually read more than one book at a time).

message 25: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 506 comments Are you doing this challenge too Orlok?

message 26: by DoodlePanda (new)

DoodlePanda | 506 comments I'm guessing books not in a series are ok to read without penalty? But they count towards the montly goal?

message 27: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Orlok wrote: "The two books I have on the go (one ebook, one audio) are 445 and 432 pages respectively, which is why it's taking me a while to catch up (I've actually just started a quicker read of 304 pages to help bolster my numbers - I don't usually read more than one book at a time)."

As long as you're enjoying what you read instead of reading for the numbers. Don't burn yourself out.

DoodlePanda wrote: "I'm guessing books not in a series are ok to read without penalty? But they count towards the montly goal?"

This challenge is strictly series related. Standalones don't count at all unless they are written in the same world/universe as a specific series.

message 28: by Orlok (new)

Orlok DoodlePanda wrote: "Are you doing this challenge too Orlok?"

No I'm not doing the series challenge - I've enough to be getting on with the three I already have on the go, and this one is quite complicated and challenging, too much to get my brain around :).

message 29: by Orlok (last edited Jan 15, 2018 04:29AM) (new)

Orlok Nyssa wrote: "As long as you're enjoying what you read instead of reading for the numbers. Don't burn yourself out. "

I am enjoying it, but I get a tiny bit panicky when I see myself falling behind on the GR reading challenge summary :).

message 30: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Orlok wrote: "No I'm not doing the series challenge - I've enough to be getting on with the three I already have on the go, and this one is quite complicated and challenging, too much to get my brain around :)."

The challenge can be tweaked to your liking, which is what I did with mine (I wanted complicated). :D
Chris developed a more simple one for himself when the original one stopped working for him. I think he just set a goal for series books read in a year and went from there.

Orlok wrote: "I am enjoying it, but I get a tiny bit panicky when I see myself falling behind on the GR reading challenge summary :). ."

Yeah, I used to feel the same way before I minimized my goal. I did promise myself that I would reevaluate my GR challenge goal throughout this year, though. So if I'm approaching 12 books by say the end of March, I'll increase it by another 12.

message 31: by Orlok (new)

Orlok Nyssa wrote: "Chris developed a more simple one for himself when the original one stopped working for him. I think he just set a goal for series books read in a year and went from there. "

Hmmmm. I'll have a think round that, but it would need to be way less complicated than yours - just looking at all the scoring makes head hurt. Ug.

message 32: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Monthly Goal: [04 / 04]

Blood Crime (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #2) by Kim Harrison Blood Crime
Review: 4 Stars
Book#: 0.3 [Prequel]

- Complete Monthly Goal = 50 points

Tally = 85 points and 1 New Series Credits