Start by marking “The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death (The Hollows #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death (The Hollows #0.1)

The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death

(The Hollows 0.1)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison returns to her beloved Hollows series with The Turn, the official prequel to the series that will introduce fans and readers to a whole new side of Rachel Morgan's world as they've never seen it before!

Can science save us when all else fails?

Trisk and her hated rival, Kalamack, have the same goal: save their species from ex
Published February 7th 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Turn, please sign up.
Sharon Trenton Aloysius Kalamack in the Rachel Morgan books is Kal's son, but Kal is a nickname. Kal's full name is Trenton Lee Kalamack, so he is also…moreTrenton Aloysius Kalamack in the Rachel Morgan books is Kal's son, but Kal is a nickname. Kal's full name is Trenton Lee Kalamack, so he is also sometimes called Trent.(less)

Steven
First, let's get the pesky tidbit out of the way -- I received this book as an advanced reader copy from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Now, down to business. Kim, darling, I know that all good things must come to an end, but this book proves that you're at your best when you're in the world of the Hollows. Don't get me wrong, I adore Peri Reed and the cast of that series. The premise is neat and you add lots of fun twists and turns and bad boys and good boys an
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I . . . am a fickle broad.

I spent the majority of the last two days bitching and moaning about this book. I have the screenshots to prove it:

description

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I hated THE TURN right up until the very end.

Literally. The very end.

The last four pages are what kept me from one-starring this book.

You: Whoa, one star, that's really bad.

Me: Yes. It is. Typically reserved for horror shows of books like Red Queen and Winter .

You: Why were you going to on
Bradley
Thanks goes to Netgalley for this ARC!

And maybe that should be double because I fell out of my chair when I discovered that I was approved. So here comes the total honestly: I'm a total fanboy of the series. I always have been. So when the series ended and I had nothing new to look forward to in this universe, I felt so sad. So sad.

But now? So happy!

We're in the sixties now. Yup, too early for most of our favorite characters to show up, but here's a little surprise for you: soooooo many of the s
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars] For all of you Rachel Morgan fans wondering if The Turn is worth picking up, the answer is an emphatic YES!!! Even though the story takes place at least 50 years before Dead Witch Walking, it still managed to bring all the magic that made The Hollows series so great. Trisk was an amazing main character, comparable to Rachel, herself. In fact, all of the characters in this prequel were great – don’t be surprised to see a few familiar faces along the way (after all, we are dealing with ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really liked this book a lot. I have only read a few of the early books in this series but I knew that I had to read this book as soon as I saw it. I always thought that the history of the world we saw in Dead Witch Walking was extremely interesting. I didn't even know half the story. This book really grabbed my interest right away and held it until the end.

How did a simple tomato kill a large percentage of the human population? We finally
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That's me 90% of the time reading the book.
Here're the reasons why.

1. Gender equality is far from perfect even in 2017, but 1963 is just ridiculous.
2. Kal is an asshole.
3. Kal is a thumb-sucking slug turd.
4. Kal is a fairy's dung heap.
5. Kal is a troll's bahoogy, etc., etc., etc.
Well, you get my point. It being that I hate Kal. I can't believe Trent came from that asswipe. Guh!

Now that my rage is somewhat under control - let's talk about some other things, ok? The tomato thing for exam
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Being a huge Hollows fan I was very eager to get the story behind the turn which is why I didn't even hesitate to pick The Turn up.

With it's familiar world and characters, it wasn't hard to jump right in. And while it did take me a moment or two to adjust to the different characters and the point of view not being Rach's, it really was fun seeing some familiar faces and some familiar places.

I absolutely loved seeing where is all began and how exactly it all began and of course seeing some famil
Beth
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, when a book is highly anticipated, the actual story doesn’t meet your expectation. This is absolutely NOT the case with The Turn. Hollow fans have guessed, speculated and surmised ourselves crazy but the wait is over. Harrison has gifted us with the undiluted truth about the tomato plague, as well as Kal’s, Quen’s and Trisk’s beginning…not to mention that amazing cover with soul smut. Not only did I want to re-read the entire series over all over again, I was left wanting more.

For any
Erin Dunn
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Thank you to Gallery Books for providing a free copy of The Turn By: Kim Harrison in exchange for an honest review.

The Hollows is a series that I have been wanting to try for a while. I own the first book in the series, but I still haven't read it yet. Still I was very intrigued to read this full length prequel novel since it sounded so great!
#SeriesI'veBeenMeaningToTry

Well even though I haven't read the other books I really enjoyed The Turn! I liked the
Mitticus
A cautionary tale against GMO tomatoes, evil scientists working with military and government, and how an elven lady behaves like if Molly Ringwald would have chosen James Spader . Of course Steff was way more clever than Trisk, about men I mean.

rtc
Marta Cox
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ok if you are already a fan of the Hollows series than this prequel is a must read as so much is revealed. If you are new to these books than shout hip hop hooray because it's a fabulous introduction to a world that is frankly addictive. Like many I'd always wondered just how the humble tomato could cause so much damage and be vilified until the pretty ordinary fruit became public enemy number one! Open this book and get pulled into a story of pride and vanity that leads to catastrophe but with ...more
Christy LoveOfBooks

Woohoo! We're back in the Hollows! Only, this time we take a step back in history and discover what actually went down during the infamous Turn. What exactly caused tomatoes to become the carriers of death and destruction? And just who is really at fault.

This was so stinkin' good! I love how the story unfolded while connecting so many threads to the main part of the series, all the way to the very last book. I wasn't sure how much I'd like his without Rachel, Ivy, and Jenks, but my worries quick
Veronica
The Hollows series with Rachel Morgan and her crew is one of my all time favorite UF series. It occupies the top shelf of my bookcase and I own most of the series in hardcover, paperback, audiobook, and ebook. That's all to say that I think Kim Harrison crafted a world and characters that mean a lot to me. But, never let it be said that I allow love for one series and admiration for the author to bias my opinion of any of the author's other works. I have to call 'em like I see 'em and, for me, t ...more
Suz
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
That was excellent, and vindicating. I always thought Trent was a dick. This is proof that he was ALWAYS a dick. I actually feel sorry for Rachel that she's ended up with him. What a horrible excuse for a being.

I guess you can tell I was completely caught up in the story. I really like Trisk as a MC, too.

This had the feel of the start of a trilogy. Does anyone know if there are to be more? There are questions left unanswered that are delightfully tantalizing the way a non-cliff hanger ending sh
Kira

Finally an explanation for how tomatoes almost wiped out the human population! It makes more sense getting the whole story rather than getting bits and pieces in the Hollows. I still question why tomatoes, but then again it's not like any other food would have been less ridiculous.

Trisk was an elf in the sixties. She had two strikes against her: being a dark elf and being a woman. At that point in time all supernatural creatures were still in hiding. Trisk, despite being the smartest in
AH
While this is a prequel to the Hollows series, I'd recommend that you start with book 1 Dead Witch Walking. Then read the series in order and come back to this one last. No, I am not messing with you OCD-must-read-it-in-order types, it's just that The Turn will mean so much more to you.

The Turn is set before the events of The Hollows series. It describes exactly why tomatoes are the villains (no, nothing like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, but it could be....). We meet some of our Hollows favor
Marianne
Two elves, a vampire and a human walk into a genetic research facility and...

No wait; I know it sounds like the beginning of a really bad joke, but hear me out:

Thinking back to the very beginning, when I first developed an (almost unhealthy) obsession with the Hollows, I remember thinking that the killer tomato storyline was sightly... ahem ... silly. Like, well... you know:

*Ahem... Clears throat* Guess who got the last laugh?! This is Our beloved Kim Harrison after all, a woman who can turn f
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
The Turn was very enlightening on many points, even as it brought me to question many others.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

There is something so very special about The Hollows, and reading more about what actually happened prior to the action in the main series was quite thrilling! The reason why humans were so afraid of tomatoes, and what happened to make the paranormals come out, so to speak. The Turn was more than 'just' a way to explain the world and those
☕ Kimberly
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five reasons to grab The Turn

Tomatoes and familiar faces. While I don't necessarily think one needs to read the Hollows first, those who have will certainly enjoy seeing how the world we know in the Hollows began and everyone's role in it. We get answers and enjoy many ah-ha moments. There were many tidbits that have you craving more.

It's a full-length novel. Often prequels are novellas, but Harrison treated us to an entirely fleshed out story. The tale takes place in the sixties and long before
Jeanny
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
eARC for The Turn (The Hollows #0.1) by Kim Harrison was kindly provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

This is likely an unpopular opinion but I was incredibly uninterested in this. It simply could not keep my attention. I could care less about the characters & without being interested in the Kalmak story well... spoiler alert I feel I know what will happen with the virus. DNF @35
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

THE TURN takes Hollows fans back to where it all began, a world where witches, vampires, and all sorts of magic are hidden away behind the sexism, racism, and revolution of the 60's. Trisk Cambri, a brilliant young geneticist, has to work three times as hard as the slick, spoiled Trent Kalamack, and still racism and sexism slam doors in her face. The Good Girls' Revolt meets Urban Fantasy, THE TURN is an interesting glimpse of where the beloved charact
Janet Robel
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great paranormal with a kick-ass heroine! This is a wonderful prequel to The Hollows series. Trisk proves you can't keep a good girl down no matter what life throws at her. One of the things I like about her is that she is tough but also kind, and is still cautious about trusting others. Ms. Harrison does a great job of giving her fans the beginning of it all to their favorite series.
Anna McWeasley
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-hollows
Es war so gut!
Jetzt hab ich Lust bekommen alle Bücher nochmal in richtiger zeitlicher Abfolge zu lesen.. aber das ist leider einfach zu viel. Muss mich momentan mit kürzeren Aufgaben über Wasser halten um überhaupt zum lesen zu kommen.
Under the Covers Book Blog

It's no secret that I've been a huge fan of this series, and I admit, I've missed the characters so much since the series came to an end. As much as I was very happy with how the series ended, on such a high note and without dragging the plot, I was extremely giddy to be getting more from this world. While THE TURN didn't give us Rachel Morgan, it was just as amazing as any of the previous novels in this world had been. A page turner from the moment I started.

This story centers around Trisk, an

Jen Davis
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you are away from a beloved series for a while, it’s easy to forget just how much you loved it. And boy, do I love The Hollows. I was so sad to see it end, but Kim Harrison did such an amazing and satisfying job it was hard to argue with the results. She ended it so well, in fact, that I questioned whether I wanted to give this book a try. What if it didn’t measure up? How could it measure up? I am so very happy to report that it absolutely measures up. And it has left me hungry to return t ...more
Cece Rose
I was nervous to read this, as I loved the original hollows books so much, I was worried that this would in some way let it down or not be at the standard I'd come to expect from the series.

I'm so relieved my fears weren't founded. The book was great. Even though I knew how it would end (being that it's a prequel) I still felt glued to the pages and wanting to know more.

I feel like Kim could definitely do another book on these characters and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will. (As th
Suzanne
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read in The Hollows series, and I want to thank netgalley for the opportunity. I suspect if I'd read the main series, I would have recognized characters and tie-ins which would have been fun, but without that knowledge I was still fine - I never felt lost in the setting or the story or felt like I was missing any important information. And I guess when I continue on and read the primary series - I'll see some continuation there - which will be fun!

I liked the world o
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

I’m a huge fan of Kim Harrison’s Hollow series so I really looking forward to this book when she announced it. And now finally got to read it.
I have to say I was a little worried because I read her Peri Reed Chronicles after the Hollows series and sadly was not a fan so I really was hoping I would like this one.
And I was not disappointed. Fan of the Hollows series finally get to see what actually went down with the Turn. We meet people we only ever hear

Chrissy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it

This book started out pretty slow in the first 35-ish %, but once the tomato disaster gets under way it picks up, and at that point I enjoyed it a lot more. It's provides an interesting background to the world of the Hollows. While the whole death-by-tomato thing seemed weird and almost funny in the Rachel Morgan books, actually seeing it all unfold here gave that aspect of the story a much more serious flavor for me. And knowing where the story was going suffused the slow first part of
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`

5 out of 5 beautiful golden starts!!!

Oh yes! Oh My Gawd, yes please! This book was exactly what I needed! Something new created from something old!
Let me say that at first I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy reading the beginning of it all. Of course when I saw it fist that dear Harrison is releasing another book for her “The Hollows” series I was thrilled!!! But then I saw it was a prequel… suddenly I wasn’t so sure at all. Y’all probably are wondering why? It’s simple, really. I have read and re-r
Saucy Wenches Boo...: The Turn 16 30 Mar 22, 2017 09:03PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #42 The Turn by Kim Harrison 1 5 Mar 18, 2017 04:44PM
  • Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
  • Fury (Menagerie #3)
  • Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11)
  • Night and Silence (October Daye #12)
  • Made For Sin
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Everwar (Cal Leandros, #11)
  • Rise of the Demon  (Kara Gillian, #9)
  • Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Flight from Mayhem (Fly by Night, #2)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
“Try not to get enthralled, okay?” 1 likes