Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Outside Challenges > What Challenges Are You Doing in 2018?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I'm reviving Zaz's topic from 2017 because I'm curious about what challenges (outside of the ATY Challenge) that others are doing.

Tell us all the challenges you're participating in for 2018!

EDIT: By the way, if anyone is looking for/interested in other challenges there is a pretty big list over here.

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (dakterpeppir) | 2 comments I'm doing the Popsugar, Book Riot, and one me and my mom made up to do together!

message 3: by MJ (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

MJ | 661 comments I'm in the GR group Catching Up On Classics, and I am doing a bingo challenge (with mostly classics prompts) and a decade of women authors challenge- a book by a female author from every year in the 1930s.

Those and ATY are my main challenges, with more priority given to ATY. I am also slowly trying to read books from the ROry Gilmore list, and I am reading Stephen King books. :)

Edit: i am also working on reading a book by authors from all the countries... an around the world challenge. Good luck me.

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm continuing my r/fantasy bingo (that goes from April to March), but won't do the 2018 edition if they do one.

I decided to the Science Fiction vs Fantasy Bingo 2018, that is open and fits well my readings. I'm also doing the 18 in 2018 and I'll work on several children books lists.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:23PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Meh, as per usual, I've bitten off quite a few challenges for 2018. What can I say? I get way too enthusiastic for them. But this year, as opposed to previous years, my plan is to finish my ATY challenge before I finish off any others I am working on. I'm overlapping my ATY books with my other challenges as much as possible also.

Like Zaz, I'm doing the Science Fiction vs. Fantasy Bingo challenge this year. This will probably be the toughest one to complete because there are quite a few squares that don't line up with my ATY books and I'd like to complete the whole card. I'm also doing a Tsundoku Bingo that is meant to help thin out my massive TBR shelf. But, honestly, does anyone ever accomplish that? No matter how many books I read I always find more to add. :D

I've started a Monthly Motif Challenge (reading a book that correlates to a monthly theme) and a Monthly Keyword Challenge with picture books that I'm reading to my son. I'm also trying to read a rainbow (read a book with a cover that matches up to each color of the rainbow + a few others). I've been able to find a book for each color from the books I'm already reading for my ATY challenge so that one shouldn't be very difficult to complete.

Then I have ongoing challenges, some I've been working on for years, that don't have any deadline.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 420 comments ATY (of course) and Popsugar mainly. Trying to fit each book I read into both if I can. Little Paris Bookshop can fit the Original Language other than English prompt in ATY and the Takes place in a bookstore prompt for Popsugar (I have a couple I've read in that slot after also reading 84, Charing Cross Road this week and I have a few Aurora Teagardens here as well that I'm intending on reading so I can pick and choose later). Going to try and fit in a few group reads in these two as well.

The scifi and fantasy group I'm a part of has 2 books a month for a group read so I'm going to try and fit as many of those in as possible too. They do have a prompt thing happening too but I'll just stick to the group reads.

I also am doing an unofficial A-Z just for shiggles.

Should be an interesting year.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I'm doing ATY, PopSugar, BookRiot, Modern Mrs. Darcy 2017, and a challenge I came up with myself based on my votes for ATY. I took all the prompts that I voted for and eliminated any that were repetitive or already on one of my other challenge lists for this year. It left me with a pretty solid list of 25 prompts that I'm very excited for!

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (marilyn357) | 28 comments In addition to Around the Year - Ultimate Popsugar, 50 States and At Least 50 Authors (one book by one author FROM each of the states), Books and Chocolate Classics only with NO repeats within or between challenges. I have selected most of the books I will use for these.

message 9: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
The only independent challenge I'm doing is the Around the Year one. But I'm also slowly completing a bunch of others: Goodreads "Best Book of the Month" Challenge, Around the World in Books, and Read Your Age, 17 in '17, and 18 in '18. I'm allowing overlap for all of those with the ATY challenges but no overlap between different years of the ATY Challenge.

I'm also hoping to complete the 2016 and 2017 ATY Challenges since I didn't manage to complete them within the year.

message 10: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
TOO MANY 😩

ATY
ATY middle grade/chapter books
ATY picture books
Pop Sugar
Book Riot

and then also trying to do the monthly reads (1-3 books) for another group I'm in that I miss being involved with.

Plus, I have a TON of side reads and multiple picks for prompts that I would love to read, so I'm not sure how I'm going to work through all of it.

The 3 ATY challenges are my priority though.

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:16PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Are you doing a selection of prompts for the ATY Middle Grade/Chapter Books and Picture Books, Tracy? I imagine some of those prompts would be impossibly hard to find books for in juvenile fiction.

message 12: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:35PM) (new)

Emm wrote: "Are you doing a selection of prompts for the ATY Middle Grade/Chapter Books and Picture Books, Tracy? I imagine some of those prompts would be impossibly hard to find books for in juvenile fiction."

I filled all of them except the book with a murder- I used a wild card for that. Link is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

for some I made some changes, Newbery or Caldecott awards, in place of other awards. And picked off GR choice awards for the GR best book of the month. Some are also loosely interpreted.

There are others in the group trying it also. Bryony, Ann and Zaz all have lists started :-)

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Oh, how neat! That might be something I try next year with picture books (since I'm already doing a picture book challenge) or, if I finish my other challenges soon enough, maybe I'll try it this year. I'll be interested to see everyone's progress with it.

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Emm, congratulations on your baby boy! 😀

Tracy, I actually know a picture book with a murder, if you wanted to fill that prompt. Although it's a bit of a spoiler, as it's right at the end. It's actually one of my favourite books. 😂 I'll add the title under spoiler tags, if you want to see what it is. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments This year, I'm doing AtY, Book Riot, POPSUGAR, and an AtY "Hard Mode" challenge which I've devised myself as a bit of a refinement of my old reject challenge. For that, I went through and chose (originally) the 26 rejected prompts that I felt would be the hardest for me to fulfil. After Book Riot and POPSUGAR came out, there were a bunch of duplicates, so I think I'm down to 15 or 16 now. With these four challenges I've decided not to overlap books this year, but, apart from our challenge, I don't particularly care if I finish any of them.

For challenges that can have overlaps, I'm doing a "Back to the Classics" challenge, a "Monthly Motif" challenge (both twelve prompts), and I've always got a bunch of challenges on the go over at Wacky Challenges. I'm also progressing on a "Read Your Age" challenge, and the "Around the World" challenge too.

As well as those, I'm working through nineteen different "Top/Best-of" lists, which I often use to help guide my reading when I'm lacking in direction.

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments Cool topic!! It's nice to know what everybody is aiming for apart from ATY. :D

My main focus will definitely be ATY. Apart from that, I want to try to complete the Modern Mrs. Darcy and Popsugar challenge. Being really ambitious this year, I've added Book Riot to my list as well, but whether I'll actually get started on that one depends on my progress with the other challenges. We'll see... :)

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Jody wrote: "Emm, congratulations on your baby boy! 😀

Tracy, I actually know a picture book with a murder, if you wanted to fill that prompt. Although it's a bit of a spoiler, as it's right at the end. It's ac..."

YES!!!!! Jody that looks great and now I'm dying to see the end lol. I'll add it. For the Middle Grade I wanted to do The Graveyard Book with Zo but I think we'll never get around to it and I just finished it for last years challenge. Thank you!!

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2474 comments My challenges include:

1. ATY
2. ATY Children’s edition
3. 12 + 4 optional - Pre-selected books. I chose a SF theme.
4. Random Travel- 6 random countries were selected by the group’s moderator.
5. O Canada! - ongoing (book set in each province/territory)
6. Translated Lit- 16 of 22 genres (started in fall 2017)
7. Seasonal Reading Challenge- I’m doing the Winter 2017-18 but may not continue after that.

I’m definitely doing an overlap of books! I think I can complete 1-6 except the ATY Children’s. That one is my lowest priority but I might complete 25-50% of it.

message 19: by Michelle (last edited Jan 04, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Jody wrote: "This year, I'm doing AtY, Book Riot, POPSUGAR, and an AtY "Hard Mode" challenge which I've devised myself as a bit of a refinement of my old reject challenge. For that, I went through and chose (or..."

Thanks Jody!

Funnily enough, I just read that murder picture book yesterday. Looking through the picture books I have read and am planning to read, it seems I've already got a pretty good jump on the ATY topics. I am thinking I might try to do it this year afterall. I've got a book featuring a murder, a science book, a book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you, and seven deadly sins, so why not? I will have to modify a couple of them but I really love the concept. Kudos to whoever originally came up with the idea.

message 20: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments We're looking forward to see your plan Emm :)

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2137 comments I'm doing ATY and some classics challenges with the Never to Late to Read Classics group on Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Those are:
Back to the Classics
A to Z Classics
Bingo Classics
Mountain or a Mole Hill

So my ATY plan has quite a few classics in it which also fulfill the above challenges.

I steadily resisted making a plan for Popsugar and Book Riot. It was very difficult to do this! But I want to read what I choose this year, not try to meet a prompt.

message 22: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6919 comments Mod
I just stumbled across the Goodreads group "Everybody Has Read This But Me" which is super tempting, since I read mostly contemporary books. My Goodreads goal is 60, and even that is a bit of a stretch for me, so if I did this one, I'd double up on books for that and ATY.

They put up 3 options each month, so I'd probably end up choosing one a month to read. I just like the idea that I'm being forced to read more classics, which ATY isn't always great at (I end up filling all of my prompts with fun, new, shiny books, because that's who I am as a person, and I lack self-control).

message 23: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Tracy wrote: "YES!!!!! Jody that looks great and now I'm dying to see the end lol. "

It is so funny, and the illustrations just add to it. The more I read it, the funnier it gets. I might have to go dig it out and read it tonight!

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Emily, thanks for the rec for "Everybody Has Read This But Me", I love that you have 3 books to choose from! I'm not sure I'm going to be participating in discussions (ATY already takes a good part of my screen time), but I'll try to think to check out the page for pushes to chose my next classic).

message 25: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm doing ATY, PopSugar, BookRiot, Modern Mrs. Darcy 2017, and a challenge I came up with myself based on my votes for ATY. I took all the prompts that I voted for and eliminated any that were repe..."

Great idea, Rachel! I find I'm always trying to fit books I'd read for those into the official categories, so why not make my own list?

message 26: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments This year I limited myself to ATY52 and Popsugar, but I'm already becoming tempted by some others...

I do let myself read one book and count it for different challenges (though so far I've avoiding double-counting within a challenge), because I need to devote some reading time to following my whims. But just keeping track of things like books in translation, or book setting, things like that, doesn't increase my list but may subtly push me to read more widely. I may give that a go.

message 27: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments I'm doing ATY52 and popsugar. Since this is my first year doing a challenge at all, I'm overlapping aty and popsugar, with primary emphasis on aty. Except I will do the popsugar group reads/month.

I'm also doing what I call "the vlogbrothers book list" which basically means any book mentioned in hank and john green's youtube channel. This will probably take a couple years though lol.

I am very tempted to casually start the around the world challenge?? maybe just casually keep track until I finish vlogbrothers and then start seeking it out.

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Do start to casually keep track of the AtW, so when you want to commit more fully, you won't have to start all over again like Emm ;)

message 29: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments Sophie wrote: "Do start to casually keep track of the AtW, so when you want to commit more fully, you won't have to start all over again like Emm ;)"

haha thanks for the tip! i just made a folder in infinity and beyond to keep track of everything. I'll have england done by tomorrow :D

message 30: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments If you’ve tracked everything you’ve read on Goodreads it’s relatively easy to work out your progress on AtW. If you google books set in X, one of the top links will generally be a GR list. Then you can just flick your eyes over to see if you have any ‘Read’ books.

message 31: by Katie (last edited Jan 05, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Katie | 2369 comments This year, I'm doing:

1. ATY
2. PopSugar
3. What I call My Personal ATY challenge. Like Rachel said, this is the topics I voted for during the polls that didn't make it into the official ATY challenge. And then I removed any duplicates that were in PopSugar. This ended up being 34 prompts.
4. Obama's 2017 Reads. This is another one I made up, but I posted a thread about it under Other Challenges if anyone is interested. It's Barack Obama's top 10 books from 2017. He posted it on his Facebook page a few days ago.
5. 18 in 18. 18 books published in 2018.
6. 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards. A book from each category of the 2017 GCAs.

My ongoing challenges:

1. Around the World
2. A-Z Biography/Memoir. An autobiography, biography or memoir for a person whose last name starts with each letter of the alphabet.
3. 20th Century. A book published in each year of the 20th century.
4. Goodreads Choice Awards. A book from each category of all years of the GCAs.
5. Goodreads Best Books of the Month. A book from every month of the Best Books of the Month list.
6. Goodreads Best YA Books of the Month. A book from every month of the Best YA Books of the Month list.

It's a little out of control. Really I prioritize ATY & PopSugar.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Katie wrote: "It's a little out of control."

I feel you there, Katie. I didn't even know they had a GR Best YA Books of the Month... I sense another ongoing challenge is coming on. :P

message 33: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 173 comments In addition to ATY, I'm hoping to complete the Popsugar and Bookriot/Read Harder challenges, as well as knock a few things off my very long to-be-read shelf. I read over 100 books last year but it turned out that very few were from this challenge or my TBR shelf, oops! I tend to wander the library and pick up whatever is interesting. :)

message 34: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
I’ve finally decided on my challenges for the year. I’m doing ATY (of course), Book Riot, Popsugar and a Back to the Classics challenge. I’m also going to start my Around the World challenge which will be a very long term project.

I still haven’t decided whether to let books overlap between challenges. I’m thinking about having a rule that as ATY is my main challenge, everything I read for it has to be specifically chosen for ATY - ie I can’t read something for a Popsugar prompt and then decide to count it for ATY too. But I can read something for ATY and then decide to count it for Book Riot or Popsugar. Not sure yet if that would work in practice though.

message 35: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments Bryony wrote: "I’ve finally decided on my challenges for the year. I’m doing ATY (of course), Book Riot, Popsugar and a Back to the Classics challenge. I’m also going to start my Around the World challenge which ..."

that's the method I'm using. I'm specifically choosing books for aty and if it happens to fit a popsugar prompt, I count it for that as well.

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I'm also doubling up on books for other challenges. It would be more challenging to read separate books for each challenge but I don't have the time for that, sadly. I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to find books I wanted to read that aligned with multiple challenges though. :D

message 37: by Marilyn (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Marilyn (marilyn357) | 28 comments I am doing the Around the Year in 52 Books, the Ultimate Popsugar, 50 States and 50 Authors (Read a book BY an author from each state), and the Books and Chocolate Classics Only (all books published at least 50 years ago). That last you will need to google if interested. I did all of these last year as well as a fun Jane Austen challenge at NBRC. For the 12 category Books and Chocolate I did have to use duplicates from other challenges for 2 of the 12 categories, but other than that I had no repeats between or within challenges and often read more than one book for a particular topic. I am trying to NOT use any repeats at all this year.

message 38: by Andrea (last edited Jan 06, 2018 10:23PM) (new)

Andrea | 368 comments Although I am still finishing the ATY 2017 challenge, I am adding the following challenges to this year's reading goals.

1. ATY 2018 Challenge: Read 52 books that meet the listed prerequisites.
2. Goodreads' 2018 Reading Challenge: Read 80 books.
3. Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder Challenge: Read 24 books that meet the
listed prerequisites.
4. 2018 Mount TBR Challenge: Read TBR books that you acquired before January 1, 2018.
5. 2018 Beat the Backlist Challenge: Read TBR books that you acquired before January 1, 2018.

I will also participate in several short-term reading challenges.

1. Local library's winter and summer reading challenges
2. Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon
3. Seasons of Reading challenges

In addition to the above group challenges, I will attempt a multi-year personal challenge.

1. Pop Chart Lab 100 Essential Novels: Read 9 titles by the end of 2018. Read all 100 titles by the end of 2025.

I do not always finish these challenges, but they are a lot of fun and introduce me to many great works that I might have overlooked otherwise. This year I will change my approach to challenges with listed prerequisites. Instead of hopping around and reading books on a list that I complete in the beginning of the year, I will attempt to fulfill the tasks in order and chose the books one at a time. Onward ho!

message 39: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 169 comments I am doing the Pop Sugar and Modern Miss Darcy. I am going to try to fit one book to a couple challenges but will see how much I read. I know I won't be able to read 100 books as that is an unrealistic goal for me, so I am going to do my best with the 3 challenges.

message 40: by Di (new)

Di | 10 comments I am doing the 2018 Pop Sugar Reading Challenge along with this one. I won't be able to read 52 books, but I plan to cross reference a lot of the categories to kill multiple birds with one stone. Let's see how I do!

message 41: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1672 comments I am doing several challenges at Worlds Without End, a website dedicated to genre fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror).

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill | 567 comments I am doing Popsugarm Book Riot and Modern Mrs. Darcy as well as ATY this year. There is going to be some crossover and I am trying to read from my TBR as much as possible. Happy reading to us all!

message 43: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
Jody wrote: "Tracy, I actually know a picture book with a murder, if you wanted to fill that prompt. Although it's a bit of a spoiler, as it's right at the end. It's ac..."

Jody, thanks so much for this recommendation! I was looking for a picture book to fill this prompt and I’m so pleased to have found this one, it’s brilliant and very funny.

message 44: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Ooh, glad to spread the Hat love, Bryony!

message 45: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2474 comments I added another challenge, which started in February and continues until the Summer Olympic starts! It’s the Winter Olympics Challenge, in the Around the World in 80 Books GR group. There are 3 levels. I’m doing the easiest (Bronze)- a book set in or written by an author from each of the 22 Gold medal winning countries. This is my 3rd challenge in that group for this year. No more challenges this year! This one goes into 2020, which is one reason I was willing to take it on.

message 46: by Tammy (last edited Mar 22, 2018 08:14AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I'm doing:
AtY x3 = 156 books (65 Completed)
Classics Bingo = 24 (7 Completed)
A to Z Title Challenge = 26 (23 Completed)
A to Z Author Challenge = 26 (24 Completed)
Let's Go-Go Crazy 88 Challenge - This is a personal challenge of 88 books that I have been meaning to get to. (32 Completed)
And yes, there is a lot of overlapping. My spreadsheet is at 170 books right now and I intend to hit every one of them! I can't get bogged down with too many side reads!
OH! And I'm trying to knock out books on the 1000 books to read before you die. This, of course, will be an ongoing challenge. I've read 140 so far.

message 47: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 436 comments I'm 3 or 4 Books away from finishing the 8 reading challenges ( AtY, Popsugar, Modern Mrs Darcy, Book Riot's Read Harder, Back to the Classics, Around the World - Tourist, Homeschoollife and the Reading Women challenge) I started at the beginning of the year. Just need the library holds to come through and get inspiration for one pesky category. It's not as crazy as it sounds since I will count a book towards more than one challenge if I can. Since I obviously have a problem I looked around and found Bookish's 2018 reading challenge (https://www.bookish.com/articles/book...). It's a good mix of categories I can already tick off plus some I'll need to find new titles for. Speaking of which, if anyone has an recommendations for a book which explores the concept of beauty I'd be really grateful.

message 48: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Jody wrote: "Ooh, glad to spread the Hat love, Bryony!"

We Just finished this for our picture book challenge Jody... the girls LOVED it!!!

other super popular reads for them:
The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors ( I laughed through the whole thing, we NEED to buy a copy)

The Book with No Pictures

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly stupid Tales

The challenge has been a hit for all of us we've found lots of good stuff :-)

message 49: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Tracy wrote: "We Just finished this for our picture book challenge Jody... the girls LOVED it!!!"

Isn't it awesome? I never get tired of it!

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments After hearing all of this talk, I really want to do a children’s AtY challenge next year! I’ll probably combine middle grade all the way down to picture books. This is such a fun idea!

« previous 1