CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > Secret Reader Exchange

Comments Showing 1-50 of 218 (218 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3660 comments Mod
A place to discuss and plan for the 2018 Secret Reader exchange.

message 2: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 695 comments I am in - so looking forward to it. Even though I am in Bermuda - I have a US forwarding address.

message 3: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments Exciting!

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments I'm in too!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1754 comments This will be fun. Count me in.

message 6: by Allison (last edited Jan 03, 2018 04:09PM) (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Okay, folks, I'll make a list of people who want to be involved in the year-long exchange, starting with Susan, Rainey, Natasha, Louise, Allison and me-Allison. If your address has changed since the Christmas exchange, please let me know, otherwise I should have it.

Let's leave it open until Jan 21 for anyone else to join. If you'd like to, please PM me your name/address (if you did the Secret Santa 2017 and your address hasn't changed, then that should be fine).

I think the expectations will be:

1) Between end of Jan (whenever you get your "Secret Reader") and the end of October, please send your "Secret Reader" recipient THREE new books. Send them any time -- it'll be a surprise! Canadian is great, but doesn't have to be.

2) Between November 15-December 25, please send your recipient the 4th book of the year. During that period anyone who wants in for the "Secret Santa" part of the exchange can also join in, so that our reveal starting Dec 26 can be group-wide.

Any other rules/guidelines? Does this sound about right?

Natasha, if you like, we can split the list again and you can assign half the people their pairs, and I'll do the same with the other half. Sound good?

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra | 723 comments I'm in, Allison. My address is the same. :D

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments Sounds perfect Allison!

message 9: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 563 comments I would love to join! Please count me in!

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Wanda, Petra -- you're in!

message 11: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 434 comments If we don't participate in this can we still do the Secret Santa in December? I am retiring at the end of January, and then I plan on travelling for most of the rest of the year, so don't think it will be feasible to participate year long.

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Yeah of course Heather! We wouldn’t want to miss you guys in the fun!

The plan is to have Santa-only people join in for the last book-sending period, which will fall between Nov 15- Dec 25. I’m sure there will be lots of people join for only that one exchange.

message 13: by Magdelanye (last edited Jan 06, 2018 05:58PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 437 comments I have not commented here because I get tired of being the lone yes-but. I love the secret santa exchange and appreciate that as an option. But to my mind, to keep that specialness, I think 4 times a year might detract from that. Twice I can see, but more seems excessive.

Permit me to drag out a dear old idea of mine.
Many times when someone is expressing a wish for a book I own, I have wished I could just lend or even give it to them. I know in this group there are some real wizards out there and I don't see that it would be too difficult to set up a group lending procedure. Say I am looking for a specific title or subject, I can put in a request and people can respond to organize an exchange,
To me this sounds so useful and exciting, My vice is sci fi series and some of these titles are hard to find now, and this also applies to any books now out of print.

Does this appeal?

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments @Magdelayne, I remember you suggesting this before. It might fly, I don't know! Perhaps it's something that you could try in another thread -- a "trade" thread? I remember @Heather talking about an online book trade thing too, which may appeal to you. I signed up and then never engaged.

This year-long exchange that we're setting up reminds me of a subscription box, only customized to us all depending on what we've read and what our "giver" thinks our tastes may be. There's are element of surprise we're going for here (books and timing), both as a recipient, and as a sender. I think everyone who's signing up loves the giving as much as the receiving -- I certainly enjoy creeping others' shelves and picking out books for them! So I think there's definitely an appetite here for what we've set up.

But there may well be an appetite for what you're suggesting too! Ask @Susan, but setting up a thread about trading might well take off!

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Magdelanye - I am happy to set up a trade thread if there are others interested.

@Louise also suggested a way to be able to know addresses in case we wanted to send to others (since we seem to be a very generous group). Wondering if @Allison and @Natasha are ok with sharing? or if we should make sure that the participants are ok with sharing? I also don't mind maintaining a bit of a list off the website also. thoughts?

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments Yes I see this kind of exchange that we’re doing here similar to subscription boxes but within our own group and it’s even better because we know each other somewhat. With this in mind I don’t think doing it quarterly is excessive at all. If you just look at our Secret Santa exchange this year most people gave and got multiple presents.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Maybe if someone DOES NOT want their address shared (except with their sender) then they could flag that to me. I’d store it differently to be sure it doesn’t get shared.

For those of you who are already in, please let me know if you don’t want me to send your address to someone who comes asking for your address and begging to send you books! :)

message 18: by Mj (new)

Mj Don't like being a naysmith re address sharing:

but wouldn't it be simpler to ask the person directly for their address or use the internet to do a search since anything on the internet is considered public domain?

Given Canadian Privacy Laws, there are legitimate issues about sharing people's addresses without asking and also getting their written permission. Would recommend getting people's permission in writing to share their addresses with others before doing so and then be sure this permission is kept on file for some time for proof to avoid future problems should they arise.

In the Secret Santa thread (as currently being run) by entering, the entrant is giving permission in writing to share their address with one person - their one Secret Santa for that year. Sharing it with more people without their written persmission is troublesome and contravenes privacy laws. To avoid problems, as I understand Canadian Privacy Laws; getting permission in writing to share information with others is not optional, it's mandatory. Permission in writing should be obtained and retained on file......should someone complain at a later date.

I'd hate to see the Canadian Content group get themselves into trouble despite their good intentions.

Do you remember several years ago when a whole bunch of websites you received emails from suddently asked your permission to continue sending their emails....and always supply a way to UNSUBSCRIBE at the end of each email? That's why - Canadian Privacy Laws started and continue to be enforced.

It might seem like a pain.....but it's actually a good thing for personal freedom of choice and the protection of an individual's rights.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments That's the whole point. Allison will have the addresses of those WHO WANT TO SHARE ONLY, and she will share them PRIVATELY when asked. If you ask the person directly for their address they will know you want to send them something. Having to go thru Allison will keep the secret factor going but again IT'S ONLY FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE.

message 20: by Mj (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:50PM) (new)

Mj @ Louise - "The whole point" wasn't clear to me when I responded.

Also I was responding to Susan's question in message #15 about "@Louise also suggested a way to be able to know addresses in case we wanted to send to others (since we seem to be a very generous group).

Wondering if @Allison and @Natasha are ok with sharing? or if we should make sure that the participants are ok with sharing? I also don't mind maintaining a bit of a list off the website also. thoughts?"

It was also before I saw Allison's suggestion in message #17.
Just wanted to make it clear.....so as to avoid trouble for the group and follow laws.....that the sharing decision wasn't up to Allison or Natasha....but rather up to the individual who originally provided their address with the understanding that it would be used for a single Secret Santa gift exchange.

This protocol about getting written approval is commonly followed by sites who obtain peoples' information. The same sites usually also make it clear that they don't share info and will only do so with written permission.

Fyi, when privacy laws were first introduced and enforced - not responding to sharing or not sending a note that says "do not" share was not considered enough by the government - the requirements were WRITTEN PERMISSION TO SHARE were required.

Thought since we're just starting more widespread sharing....it might be an idea to get started on the right foot rather than try to defend or play catch-up later. I was just answering the question asked. Please don't shoot the messenger.

message 21: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments I want to thank you for your input, @MJ. I appreciate your careful consideration of the matter. Like you, when this is organized, I hope Allison and I have all of the proper i's dotted and t's crossed.

message 22: by Magdelanye (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:20PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 437 comments I guess my enthusiasm for 4x a year is tempered somewhat by the fact that I have no idea where I will be 4 months from now! But I am gratified by what I know from previous experience, that GR can be accessed anywhere with an internet connection. I didn't read as much travelling so it was possible to keep up with my reviews and my friends.
In the separate issue of a lending exchange, secrecy is not a factor so I don't think those details apply. I think it's a case of if someone (@Susan as if you dont have enough on your plate) organizes it, it will be used. Only by CC members.

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Magdelanye - I am sure that a secret reader exchange can manage address changes. :)

As for a lending exchange, I will set up a thread to gauge interest and someone that has a keen interest could volunteer to organize it. I suspect that shipping costs would likely be a bit of a deterrent but if there were specific books that libraries did not have, there may be some interest.

message 24: by ❀ Susan (new)

Here is a link for lending exchange discussions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

Going forward, let's limit this thread to the Secret Reader Exchange.

Allison - how many do we have now?

message 25: by ✿✿✿May (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:53PM) (new)

✿✿✿May  | 775 comments Just saw this thread. Please count me in :)

Question: We each get 1 person for the whole year, or the same person for the first 3 books and a different person altogether for the last one?

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments With @May in, we are up to nine for the year-long exchange.

I was thinking that we'd keep the same person for the Secret Santa exchange. I think it just makes it easier, rather than mixing it up again, and reduces overlap (ie: getting matched with the same person again). If everyone's okay with that, we'll stick with our person for the full year.

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments I prefer to stick with one person for the full year. Isn’t that kind of the point? To keep them guessing all year then take part in the big reveal along with the regular SS exchange in Dec.

message 28: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments I like the idea of sticking with the same person. It gives us an opportunity to truly get to know them and their reading tastes on a deeper level.

Also, if this experiment is successful, Allison and I could ensure that the gifters/recipients definitely change each year.

message 29: by Rainey (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Rainey | 695 comments And now that i know I can order from Amazon.ca - i just switch from the US one where i can use my account to the Canadian one (why did i not try this before) - yeah i am hoping my orders will be a secret. LOL

message 30: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments I used Amazon to send a gift to my recipient this year, and despite marking it as a present and having it gift wrapped, when Cynthia opened the parcel my name was on the receipt as the sender. I tried! :)

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Someone used their recipient's address as the return address! I thought that was a great idea!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 330 comments I'm in! This'll be exciting. Thanks for organizing ladies.

message 33: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments Rainey-Indigo.ca doesn't show your return address-I've used them three times in the past for Secret Santas and the recipient had no idea where they were coming from.

message 34: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 695 comments Alan wrote: "Rainey-Indigo.ca doesn't show your return address-I've used them three times in the past for Secret Santas and the recipient had no idea where they were coming from."

Good to know. Thanks

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Sarah, you're in! :)

message 36: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 231 comments I'd like to participate!

message 37: by Allison (last edited Jan 09, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Great, Shvaugn, you're in!

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Anyone else want in on the year-long book exchange? An extended version of Secret Santa? Please private-message me by end of day Sunday.

If you don’t join in, you’ll still have a chance to get in on the “Santa” part by participating for the last month of it! Sometime near the mid-end of October I’ll set that up.

message 39: by Allison (last edited Jan 21, 2018 06:27PM) (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Okay folks, I have 12 people in for the year-long exchange, unless others join in the next few hours.

Please tell me if I have missed your name below in the list confirmed:

Natasha
Allison (me)
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
Susan
Shvaugn
Wanda
May
Petra
Rainey
Louise
Sarah
Kim

Natasha, I'll send you your list by end of day tomorrow, to match people up and share addresses.

Addressing concerns raised earlier in this thread, if anyone really doesn't want their address shared with anyone BUT the person who gets them in the exchange, please send me a PM and I'll flag that for me and Natasha. (At times, people ask for addresses to send a little something extra to someone, which happened a little over the Santa exchange.)

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Wee update: Natasha has just been emailed her list of six people, and I have mine prepared. I'm hoping that in the next day or two, you'll get a message from either her or me indicating who you have as your secret recipient!

Have fun, ladies!! Let the games begin!

message 41: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 562 comments I'm about to start sending out messages!

message 42: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 231 comments Is there a deadline selected for sending the first book?

message 43: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Nope! You could send the first three in October if you wanted to (but I hope you don't!)!

The last should be sent during the Secret Santa event, but otherwise, the surprise of timing is part of the fun, I think!

message 44: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 231 comments Ooo, that does sound fun. I will start shelf stalking.

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments And on that note... if folks think it would be helpful to indicate which books they own and which they don't, that may be a good idea to help your sender. Not mandatory, but not a bad idea if you're a book hoarder like me!

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Alrighty! Seems to me that Natasha & I have both sent out our notices. If you have NOT received a person's name today either from me or Natasha, please PM me.

Have fun! :) :) :)

message 47: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 695 comments Allison wrote: "And on that note... if folks think it would be helpful to indicate which books they own and which they don't, that may be a good idea to help your sender. Not mandatory, but not a bad idea if you'r..." i agree i have 1200 books in my want to read folder. So i had to mark them out.

message 48: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks Allison and Natasha!!

I too have some work to do on my shelves as many of my tbr are on my actual shelves already - not quite as many as Rainey who seems to have a huge TBR!!

So exciting to let the stalking begin!!!

message 49: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 695 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Thanks Allison and Natasha!!

I too have some work to do on my shelves as many of my tbr are on my actual shelves already - not quite as many as Rainey who seems to have a huge TBR!!

So exciting t..."

Yep I.Am.A.Book.Addict

message 50: by ❀ Susan (new)

Lol - I was thinking about Allison’s son figuring out how many years it would take her to finish all her books. We better all hope to live healthy, long lives!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5