The State of Black Science Fiction Book Club (archived) discussion

General Discussion > January read?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JW (new)

JW (westcoastbias) | 10 comments Hey all (and mods), can we shoot for a January group read? Know I haven't done enough to support the black spec fic writing community over the years. And judging from the lack of posts, I'm guessing I'm not alone in that, or at least in this format.

Start off the new year right?

message 2: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 5 comments I would join depending on the selection... I am definitely going to read Imago this month, but folks would probably want to read Dawn and Adulthood Rites before that. I also have Fledgling on hand. Willing to buy books :)

message 3: by JW (new)

JW (westcoastbias) | 10 comments I'm up for Imago, never started the final book in that series. Few problems tho: first, might be all of two of us reading and posting. 2nd, not sure Butler is current enough for the group (I'm in the remedial BSFF sxn, sadly). 3rd, don't want to step on the toes of the mods that put in the work to keep this group going. Hoping for their input.

message 4: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 5 comments sure, I just thought I'd mention. I'm definitely sub-remedial

message 5: by CathT (new)

CathT Hou (tg80) | 5 comments I’m game. Willing to buy whatever is picked

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Tolbert | 1 comments Currently reading the Binti series by Okorafor. Pretty new and I️ think it’s fantastic so far. But I’m also totally down for a read the the afore mentioned :)

message 7: by JW (new)

JW (westcoastbias) | 10 comments Yeah, why don't we spin that to the larger group -- would everyone be up for Binti and the sequel, Home? The two of them together adds up to a novel's worth of content, and that's gotta be one of the best on-ramps to contemp. BSFF. I figure Nikki can shepherd us thru until we catch up to her, or might be open to a re-read.

What say you?

message 8: by Zanna (last edited Jan 09, 2018 03:31AM) (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 5 comments Oh yeah, I've read Binti and would love to read the rest of the series.

message 9: by JW (new)

JW (westcoastbias) | 10 comments @Thia, have you already read Binti (or the 2nd or 3rd books)? If not, any interest?
@Nikki, willing to restart?

Mods and long time active members -- care to join in with some earnest 101ers?

message 10: by CathT (new)

CathT Hou (tg80) | 5 comments I have not as yet. But it is on my list. I am willing to start now

message 11: by CathT (new)

CathT Hou (tg80) | 5 comments Thia wrote: "I have not as yet. But it is on my list. I am willing to start now"

I brought all 3 books today so I’m ready to start when you guys are.
Just give me the time & place

message 12: by JW (new)

JW (westcoastbias) | 10 comments Thia wrote: "Thia wrote: "I have not as yet. But it is on my list. I am willing to start now"

I brought all 3 books today so I’m ready to start when you guys are.
Just give me the time & place"

Yeah, we're set.

Posted a separate thread for us to discuss the books in. Come on with the get down.