Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hoffman, Alice-- Practical Magic--Relaxed Buddy Read; Starts January 8,2018

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.

description
Synopsis
The Owens sisters confront the challenges of life and love in this bewitching novel from New York Times bestselling author Alice Hoffman.

For more than two hundred years, the Owens women have been blamed for everything that has gone wrong in their Massachusetts town. Gillian and Sally have endured that fate as well: as children, the sisters were forever outsiders, taunted, talked about, pointed at. Their elderly aunts almost seemed to encourage the whispers of witchery, with their musty house and their exotic concoctions and their crowd of black cats. But all Gillian and Sally wanted was to escape.

One will do so by marrying, the other by running away. But the bonds they share will bring them back—almost as if by magic...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Looking forward to reading this one!

message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Me too! And since it is on my Kindle, I don't have to worry about a due date. :-)

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14452 comments Mod
Oo! I wonder if I can get this in time. It has been on my list forever and after reading The Rules of Magic recently I did want to get to this soon

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Maybe you will get it in time. Someone will come back and chat with you if not:-)

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

:) I've sent a reserve request to the library and it's looking positive so far!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Anyone ready to start this tomorrow?

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I am! I'm wrapping up one of my "in progress" books tonight so I can start it.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I just picked up my copy from the library :)

I'll be reading pretty slowly though (school holidays - kids at my feet!)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'll be reading slow too Karen! It's a busy week coming up. Too many meetings for the swim club:-(

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

My husband took the kids to the movies today so I was able to get some reading done ;)

I read the first section, Superstition.

So I did read The Rules of Magic fairly recently and I think this one seems to start off and describe the "magic" side of things much more overtly. I guess that is because in the prequel, their mother is hiding that world from them.
I do enjoy her writing style, even more so for her saying that she does research the spells to make them "realistic".
I feel sorry for the drug counter girl. I am going to assume she will pop up in the story again sometime.

I did have to go back and try remind myself of how old the Aunts would be. Because these girls are the granddaughters of April, right? So the aunts must be in their 60s-70s?

So far I am enjoying it and I'm keen to see where it all ends up. I'm surprised there is no talk of the Owens' curse yet.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments p 3-62-Superstition
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Laura wrote: "p 3-62-Superstition
(view spoiler)

I agree to a point. But I wonder what warnings the aunts gave her? And then why help her if they know the outcome? Surely she has been punished enough by now?
Maybe I'm too soft LOL

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Laura wrote: "p 3-62-Superstition

I was on the other side regarding the drug counter girl. I didn't feel sorry for her as she tried to hard to manipulate her life. ..."

I agree to a point. But I ..."

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I read the Superstition chapter last night also.

Laura, you and I are on the same page with this one.
(view spoiler)

I'm going to try to get through the next section tonight.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'll have to catch up Wednesday or Thursday with the next section as I bowl tonight and I have to switch back to the current BOM.

I'm sneaking a little Killman Creek time at work since I have my work done!

Reading this book really makes me impatient for my queue for The Rules of Magic.

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "I'm sneaking a little Killman Creek time at work ..."

Stillhouse Lake is on my list to read this month. I'll probably read it after I finish this book. I've heard good things about it!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments It's very good! Definitely read it next! I am a huge fan of a page turning mystery / thriller!

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Laura wrote: "Reading this book really makes me impatient for my queue for The Rules of Magic ..."

Ah that answers one of my questions.

I was going to say something based on Brooke's comment, but now I realise it may be a spoiler!

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Pg 59-116: Premonitions

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments I’m behind 😳😳 I’m reading Odd Thomas so I’m going to finish Chapter 30 and start this to catch up!!

message 23: by Alissa (last edited Jan 09, 2018 11:12PM) (new)

Alissa | 771 comments I just finished Superstition it makes me also want to watch the movie to see how close it kept to the book.

I’ve read Alice Hoffman before and I like her writing style she has a cool way of making the most unbelievable things seem possible.

(view spoiler)

On to read more to see how good my guess is about what is going to happen next.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Pg 117-192 Clairvoyance

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Alissa wrote: "I just finished Superstition it makes me also want to watch the movie to see how close it kept to the book.

I’ve read Alice Hoffman before and I like her writing style she has a cool way of making..."

Good guesses, Alissa! I'm interested to see if they happen. I 'm also curious as to why Karen 's opinions are different than ours. I think she knows something we don't, not having read The Rules of Magic.
Curiosity killed the cat!!

message 26: by Laura (last edited Jan 12, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Premonitions
(view spoiler)

Looking forward to the next section

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 12, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Premonitions

I'm with Laura (view spoiler)

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I haven't seen the movie! I 'll have to add it to the to-do list!

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Clairvoyance
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Levitation
(view spoiler)
I give it a 3 star. I'm now 2nd in queue for The Rules of Magic

message 31: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Premonitions

I agree with Laura and Karen about (view spoiler)

On to the next section!!

message 32: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Levitation
(view spoiler)

Overall I thought this was a quick read, but I would rate it 3 stars. I've got a couple other books to finish and then I'll be up for The Rules of Magic.

message 33: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Clairvoyance

(view spoiler)

On to finish!!

message 34: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Levitation

I gave it 4 stars. (view spoiler)

I’m excited to read the prequel based on the preview at the end. I have it so whenever you guys are ready to start.

I’m off to finish Odd Thomas!!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments There is already a buddy read thread for The Rules of Magic. I 'll join when I can if you want to start without me. I 'm looking at 6 weeks or less.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments I’m not in a hurry it wasn’t in high demand at my library so I should be able to keep it awhile. 🤓

We will see how it fits with this upcoming week of tasks!!

message 37: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments I can wait for you and Brooke to be ready!

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Clairvoyance

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Karen, I did think that about the language. I have no problem with cursing - I do it myself quite often - but it did feel out of place in this story because of how she writes.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Brooke wrote: "Karen, I did think that about the language. I have no problem with cursing - I do it myself quite often - but it did feel out of place in this story because of how she writes."

I don't have a problem with bad language either, it was more that it didn't seem to fit the rest of the writing? It really came unexpectedly at me!

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I finished and I loved it. I actually was left wanting a lot more though, as some of you mentioned.
I think I may have appreciated it more from reading the prequel first? Hard to say.
I would *love* a sequel and also Hoffman in our Author Q&A did say that she would like to write a book about Maria Owens and I think that would be awesome. Hopefully some day she will do that plus a sequel to this one :)

message 42: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Completely agree about (view spoiler)