Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Macbeth: 1-5 Books > Karen's list

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Currently reading Ann Cleeves Shetland Island series and have a few other books set in Scotland to read.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments I found the VERA series to be exactly the same as the TV show or vice versa. The actress playing VERA is perfect.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
I'm aiming to read the Anne Cleaves Shetland series too, we'll have to compare notes, Karen. I've read the first one, Raven Black, and really enjoyed it.

I love the Vera TV series (though as I said before, after watching it, my family can't stop talking in a Newcastle accent, pet). Need to try the books :)

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments You'll find the Shetland books differ quite a bit from the tv series!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Book 1 now finished Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7) by Ann Cleeves
Cold Earth is number 7 in the Shetland Island crime fiction series.

Good storylines throughout the series that keep you guessing until the end, with great characters and descriptions of the Shetland Islands.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Need to get round to reading this one soon, really enjoyed the rest of the series.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Book number 2 now finished The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) by Peter May another crime fiction.
It's my first Peter May book, really enjoyed his descriptions of Lewis as well as the flashbacks to DI Fin Macleod's past. Will read the rest of the series.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Book no.3 the group read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman by Gail Honeyman.
Enjoyed this book, quite different from my usual reads. It's the story of Eleanor, who has a difficult early life and isolation and how this changes.