Lush Library discussion

*2018 reading challenge*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I know this group has been a bit neglected by us all recently, shall we try and get it going a bit more with our 2018 reading challenges? I've gone for 52, or one a week!
Wish me luck! :)

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
Good luck my lovely! I only read two books last year; two! I'm embarrassed 🙈

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Yeah but we all have different stuff going on with families and work that dictate how much reading time we get, so no need to be embarrassed about how much we read or don't read!
I have to spend time away from home for work so it's easy to get through a book when you don't have to cook or do housework for a week, even if I'd rather be home than in a hotel! X

I bet it gets tedious. Though the idea of a week of reading with no housework or cooking sounds fabulous to me 😂

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Haha, I've made it sound all restful and relaxed haven't I?! We work at least 12 hour days when we're away, so by the time you finish at 8 all you want to do is grab something to eat and get into bed to read for a bit. Or go to the bar, which I never do, honest ☺️ 😆

😂😂

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
I was going to go for 52 too Jo but I decided to go for 26. My local library got flooded by Hurricane Harvey and it hasn't reopened yet so I finally joined the closest one after that. I forgot how much I love libraries. Placing a hold on books and ebooks - love it :)

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Ive read 22 already so I don't think I set it high enough! I do try to use my library as much as possible to, but I must admit sometimes I'm too impatient and get them on my kindle

message 9: by Kirsty (new)

Jo wrote: "Ive read 22 already so I don't think I set it high enough! I do try to use my library as much as possible to, but I must admit sometimes I'm too impatient and get them on my kindle"
The wait list for the ebooks (I read mine on kindle) is long for popular books. I wanted to read Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and I was 379 in line - considering the number is per copy they have that must have been over a thousand people waiting. I also can't renew ebooks so I have to finish them or time or, potentially, get back in line. Can you get the kindle version from the library or do you just not like the wait?

message 10: by Lula (new)

Lula (lulalavender) Hello!

I set my target at 50, but I've been reading like crazy this year so far, and I've already read 33 books! I can't decide whether to change my target, or just pass it and feel happiness at crossing the finish line.

I think getting a kindle has boosted my reading, it means I can read pretty much anywhere!

message 11: by Jo (last edited Apr 22, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Wow 379 in line, you'd still be waiting next year! 😳
I think I can borrow ebooks from the library but to be perfectly honest I don't know how and I've never asked, perhaps that would be a good thing to find out when I'm next there!

I love my kindle, you're right it's so much easier to just pop into your bag and pick up anywhere. Although my last two books were borrowed paperbacks from friends.
I think I'm going to leave my target as it is for now and then see at what point I meet it and what would be realistic to increase it to

message 12: by Kirsty (new)

Jo wrote: "Wow 379 in line, you'd still be waiting next year! 😳
I think I can borrow ebooks from the library but to be perfectly honest I don't know how and I've never asked, perhaps that would be a good thin..."

I know I could get them in Bournemouth (never tried .mobi/kindle though) and I recently looked up my hometown library and they do kindle books - try looking at your library homepage :)

message 13: by Kirsty (last edited May 01, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

I'm going to start a new thread "My top books this year". Bit more interesting than the long thread for books we've just read. Come to think of it I'll start a "Reading Log - 2018 Challenge So Far" thread.

Any other new thread/topic ideas? Feel free to start your own thread (don't add it to a folder so that it goes at the top of the group:)

Update: finally able to post new topics - for some reason it was saying I needed to verify my email :D