Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > Nominate February 2018 Group Read **VOTING CLOSED**

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1492 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for February 2018!

Since it's the beginning of the year, we only have one author exemption so far -- Samantha Price. If you're not sure if your book is eligible for nomination, please leave a comment and one of the moderators will get back to you!

Rules:
1. Any Amish-themed novel is eligible.
2. One nomination per person.
3. If two people nominate the same book, each person's vote counts. So the book will feature twice in the list to give each vote an equal chance.
4. Nominations run until the 14th of the month, with the winner announced on the 15th.
5. The winning book is chosen using Random.org to make it completely fair.
6. Please don't nominate a book we have already read. You can see our list of previous group reads here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... or look at the group read's bookshelf here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... (it includes the Christian group read as well).
7. Only nominate the first book in a series UNLESS we have already read #1 (see above link). In this case, #2 is then eligible for nomination!

Nominate away!!

#1 - The Amish Christmas Sleigh by Kelly Long -- Natalie
#2 - The Lopsided Christmas Cake by Wanda E. Brunstetter -- Wendy
#3 - The Amish Widow: A Suspense Romance by Katie Fisher -- Dede
#4 - A Summer Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #1) by Kathleen Fuller -- Carolyn
#5 - Murder Simply Brewed ( Amish Village Mystery, #1) by Vannetta Chapman -- Barbara
#6 -

message 2: by Natalie (last edited Jan 05, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1080 comments I am actually changing my nomination to Anna's Crossing (Amish Beginnings #1) by Suzanne Woods Fisher .

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hines (spunnsugarz) | 15 comments I'll nominate The Lopsided Christmas Cake by Wanda E. Brunstetter

message 4: by Dede (new)

Dede Janzen | 29 comments I will nominate The Amish Widow: a Suspense romance by Katie Fisher https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.c...

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V Amish Shadows by Jenny Moews is my nomination, if allowed. This is a shorter stand alone book, sounds like mystery.

message 6: by Marta (new)

Marta Aldrighetti | 5 comments this is my nomination :
Jiuliette Duncan - The Shadow Series - book 5 - A Highland Christmas
ciao, martaA

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Marta wrote: "this is my nomination :
Jiuliette Duncan - The Shadow Series - book 5 - A Highland Christmas
ciao, martaA"

Thank you for the nomination, but I don't think it fits in our Amish group. Please correct me if I'm not seeing the connection.

message 8: by Marta (new)

Marta Aldrighetti | 5 comments Barbara : Juliette Duncan writes Christian novels. do you think doesn't fit with Amish Group? can I ask, why,please?
ok, I suggest another book, if I can: Plain Promise, of BethWiseman
ciao, martaA

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 06, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Carolyn V so Barbara, also wondering if mystery or shorter novels are not allowed; doesn't look like mine worked for nomination? I decided to withdraw my nomination of 'amish shadows' since it seems to be in question. However, I can't do amish romance as much as most readers do. so would like to see some suspense, and maybe, non-murder mysteries, if allowed, any opinions or regulations stated anywhere?

message 10: by Barbara (last edited Jan 07, 2018 07:11PM) (new)

Marta wrote: "Barbara : Juliette Duncan writes Christian novels. do you think doesn't fit with Amish Group? can I ask, why,please?"

Our group is "Fans of Amish Fiction" and it was started because we had nowhere to discuss our love for these novels. This is a place where we can talk about why we like these books, recommend new authors, swap stories about the Amish way of life and anything else that interests us. At one time we also had a Christian group-read but that ended.

I appreciate your new suggestion of Plain Promise. It is the third in the series and as a group we have not read the the second yet. I am not trying to be a party-pooper, but would you be willing to try again?

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Carolyn wrote: "so Barbara, also wondering if mystery or shorter novels are not allowed; doesn't look like mine worked for nomination? I decided to withdraw my nomination of 'amish shadows' since it seems to be in..."

Carolyn, your suggestion of Amish Shadows is not in question -- it's Amish -- it's fine. I'm sorry if you felt it wasn't accepted. I try to get nominations up as quickly as possible (I work a job, run a business and was under the weather) so I did miss a couple of days. I was looking forward to your nomination as I haven't read anything by Jenny Moews yet. Please reconsider and reinstate your nomination. I'm leaving it in the mix unless your really want it withdrawn.

Please feel free to nominate Amish suspense, Amish romance, Amish mystery, Amish novellas, Amish anthologies, Amish !

message 12: by Marta (new)

Marta Aldrighetti | 5 comments ok, I'll follow you.
ciao, martaA

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V Barbara, after reading the full listing of some content of book; I myself was thrown when the ending states ' Enjoy this exciting new book in the Dark Amish Series' that is why I withdrew it. But, I have the ebook; so will probably read it soon and can then decide if this author is of 'dark amish series' and what that means.

message 14: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Carolyn V Marta, I have to really work on it this year; to see how many books are in a series before I aiso start them or suggest it for a nomination. So many amish books are a series; and it it tough to check for the stand a lone books, or book 1 of a series; but, it all makes sense.
Some series are stand alone books; that can be read as just one storyline book; but a lot are series that need to be read in order of book listing, usually numeric order. With the monthly nominations; If I don't have the nominated book; I go to library for the months reading; if it interest me.

message 15: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 10, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Carolyn V I am not sure if I have seen this author mentioned for quite awhile, so I nominate:
A Summer Secret A Summer Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #1) by Kathleen Fuller (Mysteries of Middlefield #1)
by Kathleen Fuller a suspenseful non murder mystery, I believe, seems to have good ratings for reading any time

message 16: by Barbara (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Here's my nomination for February...

Murder Simply Brewed ( Amish Village Mystery, #1) by Vannetta Chapman Murder Simply Brewed (Amish Village Mystery #1) by Vannetta Chapman

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V I've wanted to read that one also Barbara

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Our read for next month is...

#3!!

Thank you Dede for nominating The Amish Widow: A Suspense Romance by Katie Fisher

message 19: by Dede (new)

Dede Janzen | 29 comments You are welcome, I am excited to read this book but would be excited to read any of them I think. I love Amish books =)

message 20: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 17, 2018 06:11AM) (new)

Carolyn V this sounds interesting, though relatively new so can't get at library; but, I will have to see about purchasing one; maybe on kindle. a new author to me also, good choice
this book is available for 99 cents for kindle, so, I'm in. I like amish mystery, romantic suspense
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

message 21: by Dede (new)

Dede Janzen | 29 comments That was part of the reason I nominated it as it was very cost effective at this time. =)

message 22: by ANNETTE (new)

ANNETTE | 27 comments Sounds good to me. Probably get it from the library.

message 23: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 30, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

Carolyn V I already finished Feburary group read The Amish Widow A Suspense Romance by Katie Fisher a shorter book I got in posting above for 99 cents kindle It was a very good read; and I enjoyed the mystery theme for a change. Now, I can start a series to read.