Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > What are your 2018 reading resolutions?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments So, what are your reading resolutions for this year? Do you have a specific number of books, or maybe a number of pages? Any particular books you want to tackle this year? Something less quantifiable?

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1544 comments I want to read 12 classics and 12 books for work. I also want to read Anna Karenina this year for one of my classics. I've had the book for awhile. I saw the TV movie or series when I was a kid and loved it. I'm hoping to read a total of 75.

message 3: by MJ (last edited Jan 01, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

MJ | 676 comments I want to read one of the larger books by Charles Dickens. And Stephen King's The Stand. I want to end 2018 with fewer books on my TBR than there are today.

It would be nice to finish the ATY challenge, but if I don't it will be okay with me. I just started Ulysses this morning, which puts me at reading 3 large, long books this year. I'll be happy if I finish all three.

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Klovstad Tarnowski | 1 comments I have a goal to read 52 books and I also want to read 12 classics to challenge myself.

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments My 1st goal is: not add 50 challenges to my to do list. It's a difficult one, I think I've a kind of weird addiction.
Same for filling my TBR, I noted my book count at the beginning of the year, I hope to see a big decrease in next December.

Otherwise, I want to read less books from the US and more books by POC.

I should probably decide to finish The Stand, that is on my "currently reading" shelf and that I hadn't touched since September 2016. Maybe I'll find some motivation? I'm at 65%, I can do it (or not).

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments My goal is to complete my 3 smaller challenges plus the 52 ATY. For my sci-fi challenge, which is 12 pre-selected books, I plan to be strict and start one on the first of every month, so that I stay on track! I’m planning to read some of my longer, more daunting books this year. First one will be An American Tragedy. I’m also hoping to do some buddy reads with family members, including my sister who joined our group but hasn’t set up a plan yet!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 922 comments I would like to read more of the books that have been on my TBR list the longest.

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments My goals for 2018:

Not to focus so much on number of books, but pages - 30,000 is my goal for this year. I've found I avoid longer books as I want to get my number of books up, and this needs to stop!

I really want to read The Count of Monte Cristo.

I want to continue decreasing my US/UK focus - I got it down to 71% in 2017, which is a good start, but it's still a little too high.

message 9: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments This may sound weird but my reading resolution is to read more concentrated. I have this awful habit where I sometimes just read the words but don't really read the story. Often it's because I'm not focused and my thoughts kind of wanders off and I really want to change that. I also know part of it is because I'm thinking about finishing as many books as possible and read more than the year before, but this year I'll lower my goals.

The only other reading resolution I have is to lower my TBR either by reading books on the list or remove them.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments Doesn't sound weird at all, Marina. I know exactly what you mean, occasionally happens to me as well. Those times when you have to reread a page 5 times to actually keep up with what's happening...

My reading resolution this year? Well, I want to try to complete all my challenges, with my main focus being ATY. Also, I want to tackle some more non-fiction books, at least one per month. I usually hesitate a little before picking up one of these - but there are just so many interesting and great non-fiction books out there, it feels like such a waste to neglect them like I have.

message 11: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments I decided to do a challenge this year because the past few I haven't been able to meet my reading goal and I'm hoping the motivation of a group will help me reach it! My primary resolution is to read 52 books per this challenge.

message 12: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
I’ve been thinking a lot about my goals for 2018. I think I’m going to aim for 100 books read. I read 180 last year, but this year I think I want to have more of a “quality not quantity” approach. I really want to read some of the books on my TBR that I shied away from last year because I thought they were too long or too difficult.

Marina, I’m also resolving to concentrate more on what I’m reading. I can get so caught up in my enthusiasm to finish challenges that I almost lose sight of the reason I joined challenges in the first place, which is of course to enjoy reading. I realised today that I actually couldn’t describe the plot of a book I read last year and I want to make sure that doesn’t happen again this year.

Other than ATY, I’m undecided about reading challenges. I like the categories for Book Riot, and I also like quite a few of the Popsugar categories. I may write a plan for both and reevaluate in a month or two. Oh, I also can’t decide whether to overlap books between my challenges. I’m really just a big ball of indecision at the moment!

I definitely want to read a lot more non-fiction, especially books about parenting and education. I think I’ll aim for 10% of my reading to be non-fiction.

message 13: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I put my goal at 100 this year even though I read more than that last year.
This year I want to focus on interesting books rather than filling in prompts. I will still complete the AtYB but not in order.

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
As many have said, I want to decrease the amount of time I spend with screens (my phone, tv, etc.) and increase my reading. It's a huge challenge for me to stay awake and sometimes it's just more likely that I'll stay awake if I watch TV than if I read. Part of that is living in a small apartment where there isn't really a great place to read outside of the couch and bed (I'm doomed!). I'm really hoping we'll be moving into a home this year, with an outside deck of some sort.

Now that my wedding is over (such a time suck) and I'm settled in at my job, I would really like to make reading a priority again and finish the challenge for the first time since 2015.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Great topic, Jody.

As many of you know, I want to focus on nonfiction this year, so I'm doing an all nonfiction ATY challenge.

The last few years, I've had a goal to read 2 classics a month, but I ended up just picking short classics to get it done. This year I'm going to read one longer (400+ pages) classic each month.

I also want to read The Count of Monte Cristo.

And I want to do the PopSugar challenge. 2017 was the first year I didn't finish it in addition to our challenge.

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (caitlin_reads) | 4 comments I have five. First off, I want to read all 52 books for this challenge. I also want to read all of the Mortal Instruments and spin-off books this year along with emmabooks (youtube). Then I also want to continue reading Stephen King's novels in publication order as a more relaxed challenge (I don't care how many I get through this year). My Goodreads challenge is set at 60, but I hope it will be a lot more in order to meet all of my other resolutions this year. Lastly, I want to read at least 50 pages a day. Consistency is key. Also, it would be nice to get my TBR to a number lower than my Read shelf.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I want to finish off the many series I have in progress. I'm in the middle of about 12 series that I want to continue this year, and another 4 or 5 that I've been putting off just so I don't get too overwhelmed with too many.

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I'm loving reading everyone's goals!

I have been aware for a little while about the same thing Marina was talking about - I don't think I'm taking in as much of what I'm reading as I should. I don't know if it's that a lot of the books that I've read recently just don't grab my interest, or that I'm just so focused on finishing them. These challenges are a double-edged sword, for sure.

In a related goal, I really want to clear out my TBR as well. I've always had it separated, but I recently changed the shelf titles to list books (like 1001 Before You Die, Guardian, Time, BBC, etc.) and non-list books. The list books will stay, but I want to be pretty brutal with my non-list books and cull them down. There are so many on there that I just don't even remember adding, so they don't really need to be there. It's just such a monumental task!

I want to work more on getting through series this year too, although last year more than half of my reads were series books, so I'm getting there!

message 19: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 02, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2475 comments Mod
I was thinking about taking down the TBR a notch too, I have over 2000 books on there, LMAO😂.

A goal I didn't get to last year that I REALLY want to do is to read the Red Rising Series this year. I've already read the first and loved it. So I plan on re-reading it and the next two in the series and then I have Iron Gold on pre-order.

Definitely more Non-fiction. I find myself adding more and more to the list.

I also added the Serial Reads app to my phone last night and started using it to read Les Miserables. ( My intimidating book)

My Main goal is to finish the ATY challenge ( and not all in the last 3 months of the year this time lol), as well as the picture book/middle grade challenge for my girls. If I can get Book Riot and PopSugar down that will be a bonus but not a priority

Extra goal that NEEDS TO BE DONE.....clean up my physical shelves and donate what I am NEVER going to read. I have soooooooooo many. Too many. I can't even buy books anymore because if they aren't brand new releases I have no idea if I already own them. You have no idea how many duplicates I find on my actual shelves and then find I also bought a kindle copy. I put extra insurance on my homeowners policy because of my book collection 😩

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments Tracy wrote: "I also added the Serial Reads app to my phone last night and started using it to read Les Miserables. ( My intimidating book)"

Ohh, I loved this. I hope you do too! I've just downloaded this app myself, thanks for the reminder! I might use it to tackle Ulysses, which is my intimidating book for the challenge.

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 224 comments I want to complete the AtY and PopSugar challenges with as little double-dipping between them as possible. If I add any other challenges this year, I am fine with double-dipping on them (between challenges, never counting 1 book for multiple prompts in a challenge).

My TBR is out of control (although it doesn't look that way since most of the books I own haven't been added to it), so I definitely want to make a dent in it. The problem is that between the various threads on Goodreads I keep adding to it! Last year was the first year I was really active on Goodreads other than just listing the books I read, and I think I bought more books in 2017 than in the last 5 years combined. At least they were all heavily discounted for Kindle or bought at a used book store, but still, it is a problem. So, I think my biggest goal of the year is to STOP BUYING BOOKS! I know that realistically that isn't going to happen, but I am going to do my best.

And like many others, I want to read more classics and non-fiction. I never read the classics in school, and while I own a lot of non-fiction books, I haven't read most of them. I want to read at least 1 classic and 1 non-fiction per month.

message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 224 comments Tracy wrote: "You have no idea how many duplicates I find on my actual shelves and then find I also bought a kindle copy. I put extra insurance on my homeowners policy because of my book collection 😩. ..."

Tracy, that used to happen to me all the time! Pre-Kindle, I used to buy duplicates because I would read so many book jackets, I could never remember if I already owned it. I made many return trips to the bookstore with my head hanging. LOL Now if I am at a bookstore I check my Kindle app before picking the book up off the shelf.

message 23: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Jody wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I also added the Serial Reads app to my phone last night and started using it to read Les Miserables. ( My intimidating book)"

Ohh, I loved this. I hope you do too! I've just downloa..."

Jody I read the first installment of Les Mis last night ....13 minutes. I actually paid the 2.99 to be able to read ahead because it wasn't going to give me the next one for 38 hours and theres I think 235 or so "installments". I think its great. I don't remember who mentioned it but just amazing idea. Now I can read as little or as much as I want each day and know I'll be done by the end of the year, and it doesn't seem intimidating at all. GENIUS. I just don't know what version I'm reading, if its abridged or the full book. It gives you little badges when you finish a piece. I like badges :-)

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Brooke wrote: "Tracy wrote: "You have no idea how many duplicates I find on my actual shelves and then find I also bought a kindle copy. I put extra insurance on my homeowners policy because of my book collection..."

And then they change the covers so I don't recognize them!!!!!!😩

Me at the Barnes and Noble buy 2 get 1 free table..."Nope" Nope" "have it" "read it" "have it" "have it".

Last year I just started pre-ordering from Amazon. Thats my book fix. Because I can't tell you the last time I was able to walk out of B&N with a purchase.

message 25: by MiKa (new)

MiKa | 1 comments This is my first year with goodreads. I would like to read 30 books this year as a starter.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I tend to get too lazy to write reviews so my New Year’s resolution is to start writing more reviews, even if it’s just a short blurb.

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I tested the "limit your new additions to the TBR" in 2017 and I think it worked well. I used a dedicated shelf and fixed a limit at 50 YA/adult novels (removed if read during the year). It avoided me to add books that seemed interesting but that I'd probably never end reading and, near 50, I had to remove books (I didn't remember why I added some of them...). I'll do the same in 2018 :)

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Ooh, that's a good resolution, Michelle.

Tracy, what is this Serial Reads app & how does it work?

message 29: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

It does work Katie, there are some classics on there to choose from and it will send you a section at a time to read each day or every few days ( mine was set to a new section every 38 hrs delivered at 9 am) I paid the $2.99 so now I can read a section each day. It gave me 13 minutes last night and about 18 minutes today , so you’re chipping away at a classic in small bits at a time. I’ll be able to finish les miserables by the end of the year for my intimidating book.

message 30: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Resolution I forgot to add..... use the library and inter library loans for challenge books I don’t own , instead of buying them 😊 just picked up my first stack today with two more on the way.

message 31: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 224 comments Tracy wrote: "Resolution I forgot to add..... use the library and inter library loans for challenge books I don’t own , instead of buying them 😊 just picked up my first stack today with two more on the way."

I finally got a library card a few months ago, mainly for audiobooks. I listen to them while driving to see customers since they are all in the middle of nowhere. But I've also started getting physical books from the library. I can't believe it took me so long to get one...I could have saved so much money!

message 32: by Jillian (last edited Jan 02, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments My main goals are to read 24 non-fiction books and to get caught up on several series. I'm also planning on reading few books but more longer books. I normally have a few different yearly challenges going, Pop Sugar and/or Book Riot, which means there are several prompts I don't like. I then go looking for short books to complete all those prompts. I then miss out reading books I'm interested in because they don't fit into my challenges. So, this is the only yearly challenge I'm trying complete. I also planning on just reading more for fun.

message 33: by Ira (last edited Jan 02, 2018 07:00PM) (new)

Ira | 284 comments This year I'm trying to branch out, so I want to read books from at least 10 different genres.
I also want to read books from 10 different countries (the author is from that country or the book is set in that country)
I am also planning on finnishing/catching up with series.
I am trying to read more classics this year. The two big ones I am trying to get to is Les Miserables ang War and peace.
Other than that I plan on finishing the ATY challenge this year. I was two books short in 2017. I blame the last minute Christmas trip to Marocco I went to with my family.

message 34: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 425 comments My 2018 reading resolution is to actually read more. I've spent so many years not reading (and it used to be one of my passions) and I've decided to dive right in and get into it again. I want to finish the Popsugar challenge and the ATY challenge (by using the same books for a prompt in each challenge if possible) along with some Sci fi and fantasy group read books that I can fit into the other two where possible.

I've had a strong start to the year (but then again I am at the beach all by myself so I can do what I want when I want). Hopefully I can keep that going.

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments My goal is to actually finish one challenge at a time this year. I said I was going to do that last year, but ended up doing 3 at once and not finishing any (still 1 book to go each for ATY and Book Riot, and like 10 for Pop Sugar).

I also want to read more classics using Serial. I just read The Age of Innocence on it this year and would like to tackle a longer one. I like the app a lot.

message 36: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Michelle wrote: "I tend to get too lazy to write reviews so my New Year’s resolution is to start writing more reviews, even if it’s just a short blurb."

I'd love to write more reviews also, but I'm really just not good at it. I always get stuck and don't know what to write. I've thought about taking notes while I read the book, but that seems a bit disruptive.

message 37: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I want to finish as many series as I can this year. I also want to read more classics, but I feel my series frenzy is going to take precedence, so I'm going to keep the classics for the second part of the year.

I also want to focus more on the number of pages than the number of books. Last year I read 39k pages, maybe I can set a goal at 35k.

I also want to read less British and American authors. All the series I want to finish will definitely use up my quota, so I'll need to get creative for the rest of the year!

message 38: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments WRT Michelle and Marina’s comments about writing more reviews, I also have this as a goal. I think it’s better to at least write a short paragraph than nothing. I’m hoping that over time my critique skills improve! Two things that help me are to 1) write the review within a few days of finishing the book and 2) dictate notes on my phone, on Notes, as I’m reading. I’ve already written 2 reviews this year so I’m off to a good start.

message 39: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

My reviews aren’t really reviews, they’re more just my thoughts on the book as I experienced it.my friend came over last night laughing about what I posted re: the elegance of the hedgehog. I didn’t like it 😂

message 40: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I do the same, Tracy. I mostly write down what I think so I can remember later why I liked or disliked it.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Yes I think I do need to start taking notes on my phone. Usually at the end of a book, I find it hard to put my thoughts and emotions into comprehensible words and sentences, so I just give up and move on to the next book. I’ll start by writing a short one paragraph review for each book I read.

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
My goals are to read 60 books total -- 12 of them being nonfiction (with 6 of the nonfiction being personal development books), 12 featuring POC authors/protagonists, 12 featuring LGBTQ+ authors/protagonists. There can definitely be overlap in the categories, but that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm also trying to grow my blog this year... I want to post a review or mini-review on every book I read (most of them will be in a monthly round-up), and I want to review every book I read on Goodreads! It's a challenge, and I've only started copying over my reviews in the last month or so, but hopefully I get in the habit of it!

I also hope to get better at doing negative reviews! I generally give a book 3 stars if I finished it, but that doesn't always tell the truth of if I actually liked the book or not. So I'm aiming to do more 2 star reviews (if I need to... I'm definitely not setting out to read more 2 star books!). I typically don't finish reading books I would mark as 1 star.

message 43: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I have a lot of the same goals that you all have touched on.

1) Read More. Reading is something that I love to do but I have gotten away from it in the last few years.

2) Use my library resources. I got this one down pat last year and I'm never looking back. I want to buy as few books as possible to complete my goal. Plus...I just love libraries.

3) Amp up the quality of my books. I don't see any point in racking up huge #'s of books read if they are just filler of fluff. I want books that make me think. I want to read books that could actually be studied, analyzed and then, hopefully, discussed.

4) And yes...I need to write some reviews. Not the synopsis kind. Just the type that will let other readers know if it is worth it or not.

Based on those goals I'm doing two Goodreads challenges. I've Doubled Down on the ATY challenge (104 books) and committed to a Classics Bingo challenge (25 books). I hope to complete 135 books in 2018. Gravity's Rainbow and Ulysses are going to be the most challenging books and I've voted them most likely to kick my butt.

message 44: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments I just downloaded the serial app. It looks like a fun way to read some classics especially since I like having several books going at once.

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments To try and diversify the authors I read, I just pledged to myself to read every other book by an author who has a diverse 'attribute' (POC, LGBT, from another country than USA and UK, etc.). I have tons of options and if it's going to slow down my series frenzy, it's definitely going to help my stats ;)

message 46: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments It's a nice way to do it Sophie. I'll keep it in mind for next year if I fail with my diverse reading this year.