SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Currently Reading [2018]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Reading Right Now
Share your 2018 reads with us!
Tell us what ya loved, what ya didn't and what you're reading now.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8446 comments Currently reading Damian (Stone Warriors, #1) by D.B. Reynolds

message 3: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Barbara ★ wrote: Finished Into the Fire (Hot Nights, #1) by Amanda Usen Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1) by Barbara Bretton Sick Fux by Tillie Cole Immune (Rylee Adamson, #2) by Shannon Mayer Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Almost Like Being in Love (Lost Hearts, #2) by Christina Dodd

message 4: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: For 2018:
Finished Predictably Irrational The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely for my Nonfiction, self help-ish beginning.
Then I read Switched by N.R. Walker , now listening to Cask Strength (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #2) by Layla Reyne

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (felinefan) Our Own Country (Midwife, #2) by Jodi Daynard Currently reading

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Causby | 6 comments I am currently reading two books:
Despised & Desired: The Marquess' Passionate Wife
and
The Mind Readers
Both of these are for a reading challenge for a different group.

message 7: by Maria (last edited May 21, 2018 10:33PM) (new)

Maria | 2 comments I can not remember who in this group turned me on to the Cassie Palmer series which begins with Touch the Dark but it was Phenomenal!!! I just started the Alex Craft novels which are a quick read Grave Witch

message 8: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments I've read some good books so far this year. In no particular order:

Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, #12) by Faith Hunter Spell Crafting 501 (Hellkitten Chronicles, #5) by Viola Grace Lure of Oblivion (Mercury Pack, #3) by Suzanne Wright Hearth, Home, and Havoc by R.J. Blain Dark in Death (In Death, #46) by J.D. Robb Crossing Quinn (Coletti Warlords, #8) by Gail Koger Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15) by Patricia Briggs Lake Silence (The Others, #6) by Anne Bishop Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop Undercover Vampire (Legal Rites, #1) by Odette C. Bell Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10) by Patricia Briggs Hell's Bell (Lizzie Grace, #2) by Keri Arthur Stealth Magic 401 (Hellkitten Chronicles, #4) by Viola Grace Custodian (Elemental Paladins, #5) by Montana Ash Dark Side (Shifting Crossroads, #46) by Zenina Masters

message 9: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Maria, glad you enjoyed Cassie Palmer. I've got the latest 2 of those to read :)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 323 comments Earlier this year I decided I wanted to spend the first half of 2018 concentrating on standalones and duologies/trilogies, and reading outside of my normal box, and I have stuck to that so far, but it's hard to steer clear of longer series for sure. But I'm saving them for later in the year.

I'm in Mexico City right now with Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia . Really enjoying the different species of vampire and the Mexican folklore it's based on. Very Urban Fantasy and not a lick of romance in sight.

message 11: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited May 28, 2018 09:00AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments I promised myself I would only read what I wanted to read this year...and I've already failed miserably! It's so hard not to participate in random challenges/BOTM!

Best books I've read this year so far:
Uprooted by Naomi Novik Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1) by Mira Grant A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Caraval (Caraval, #1) by Stephanie Garber Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15) by Patricia Briggs Entwined by Heather Dixon The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11) by Seanan McGuire Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10) by Seanan McGuire A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9) by Seanan McGuire

Worst books this year so far:
The Dead Game by Susanne Leist Forced Compliance (The Galactic Outlaws, #1) by Bradford Bates

I'm currently reading the second in the Charley Davidson series and quite enjoying them!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8446 comments So money is a bit tight these days. I decided to indulge to buy a gift card with all the points on my credit card. I can now read books I’m too shy to ask the local library for.

Reading Twin Dragon’s Destiny (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #11) by S.E. Smith

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 323 comments Holly, I can only read what I want when I want and that's precisely why I don't do challenges etc!

Although saying that, I have been trying to steer clear of any long series so far this year, I've been branching out more and reading (and loving so much!) a few different genres. For the rest of the year I'm going to go back to some series, but still keep some of the more different stuff going too, seeing as it's worked out so well and I now have a F**k-ton of "other" stuff on my radar.

I've had a pretty good year. Best of so far
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang Surviving Cyril by Ramsey Hootman The End is Nigh by M.J. Marshall Dragon of Ash & Stars The Autobiography of a Night Dragon by H. Leighton Dickson Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1) by Heidi Cullinan Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman Three Heart Echo by Keary Taylor CowSex by Lesley Jones

I won't even post the worst ones as they were BAD bad. But a few I was a bit let down by for various reasons
Flutter by Olivia Evans Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia Darkness Comes (Darkness Comes, #1) by A.C. Warneke Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Right now I'm in the middle of An Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard and loving it.

message 14: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments About half way through Embers (Dark in You, #4) by Suzanne Wright and loving it. Next up is Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 15: by Janette (new)

Janette Yates | 14 comments how do you make the image show up of the books? Its cover?

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8446 comments Janette wrote: "how do you make the image show up of the books? Its cover?"

At the top of the dialog box is "add book/author", search for the book in question and post.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 323 comments Hey guys, how has this thread been so quiet for so long? I've read TONS of books since my last posting, including the whole of the Kate Daniels series (which, of course, was FAB!).

message 18: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Oct 04, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Good question, kitty!

I guess I forgot it was here since it stopped showing up in my notifications.

You've got some really out-there books. I'm not done 'catching up' enough to branch out, but you know I'm proud of you!

message 19: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Oct 04, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments I've since re-read half the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling series, most of the Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh series and I'm doing half a re-read to catch up on the Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas series since it's about to wrap up. :)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 323 comments Hi Holly, long time no talk!

Yeah, I know what you mean, when people stop posting the thread almost disappears lol!

Kate Daniels... what can I say? I tried to find the Magic Triumphs discussion thread so I could finally join the conversation but couldn't. Do you know where it is?

Not sure what you mean about "out there" books, but I'm proud of me too! I read lots of different to me types of books in the first part of the year and am sooo glad I did as most were at least interesting, and TBH it has me branching out (a bit!) in my TV viewing too.

I don't know where to go next though, I've still plenty of series to get through but sooo many standalones that I want to tackle, including some YA which I've not read that much of so far (but there is so much interesting YA fic coming out now!), and quite a bit of non-fic that I just don't know...

message 21: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Hah! 'Out-there' like outside your comfort zone. Not you know, wacky. Not that wacky's not okay, too...

Magic Triumphs thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'd love to know which of those YA books you happen to like. YA is very hit-or-miss with me. I either love them or I absolultely loathe everything.

You'll figure it out. At least you won't have to wait for the last book in the series to come out with the standalones!

message 22: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Magic Triumphs discussion thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 323 comments Thanks Sandra and Holly.

Will come back to this Holly...

message 24: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Happy New Year, y’all! Share your 2019 reads here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.