Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Buddy Read Page Counts - English

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments EDIT EDIT: DO NOT USE THESE NUMBERS...

This entire thread has been archived because, in building it, we made the mods aware how time consuming finding the largest numbers possible were going to make this competition... SO... Instead, we now just use the numbers of the most popular edition of the book... the edition with the most ratings attached to it... the edition that comes up when you add a book link to a comment or do a book search in the top bar...

If you happen to read a book and the top edition doesn't have a page count attached to it, you can find the second highest rated copy in the editions page, and Chris over on Team Jaghut Guardians, or another Goodreads Librarian can edit the page count on to the top edition for you/us...

-------------------------

I thought I'd make a Master List of highest page counts for all the 2018 Buddy Reads, to save people time when filling out their scorecards... so far it's just the 60 or so I'm signed up for, but I'd like to add in the rest over time, if anyone wants to help by posting the ones they're signed up for...

EDIT: With the help of Hacen, Bill, Jenna, and Zaara, we now have all current Buddy Reads cataloged...we just need to maintain it going forward as new Buddy Reads are scheduled.

Thank You...

message 2: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:45AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments January -- Hacen

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:49AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments February -- Bill

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:49AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments March -- Jenna

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:49AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments April -- Hacen

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments May -- Bill

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments June -- Bill

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments July -- Bill

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments August -- Zaara

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments September

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments October

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments November

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments December

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Bless you

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments It really does take up time... I think I spent an 60-90 minutes on these 50-60 books...

I just pull up a bunch of books from my Tracker, have them all open the other editions page... then start looking down the list, sorted by number of ratings...

Most English versions are at the top then, and if there are any hidden in among the foreign languages with more pages, I don't bother trying to find them... spending even more time isn't worth the possibility of a few more pages... usually once you find a version with 100-200 more pages, you're not going to find much better, anyway...

The problem is sometimes the French versions or other versions keep the English title... usually the German/Spanish/Italian ones don't, tho...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "It really does take up time... I think I spent an 60-90 minutes on these 50-60 books...

I just pull up a bunch of books from my Tracker, have them all open the other editions page... then start lo..."

I know. I'm dead serious. Looking up book counts for read books takes forever. I had a similar challenge for a different group a couple years ago and it was very time consuming. I appreciate the effort you put into it. If I can piggy back off the few buddy reads we have together it's still less work I have to do later myself.

message 17: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments I didn't think you weren't serious... I just didn't realize how time consuming it could be until I started doing it myself... it's like a reading tax... the more books you read, the more you have to look up...

message 18: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2500 comments Iain wrote: "I didn't think you weren't serious... I just didn't realize how time consuming it could be until I started doing it myself... it's like a reading tax... the more books you read, the more you have t..."

Reading tax... great way of putting it. I feel that way about review writing. I'm always wishing that I can read faster but on the months I do read a lot more than I usually do I fall further and further behind in my reviews. The last dozen books of 2017 still have reviews waiting!!

message 19: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:11PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments I've started filling in the books I'm missing as placeholders without page counts for now, keeping them in Margret's master list order by date, even if I'm not including the dates...

This should give an idea of what needs to be looked up still, for anybody that wishes to help...

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Hey Iain, thanks so much for starting this up - this is a great idea. I will help out with page numbers when I get home.

message 21: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments I can do January if you want.

message 22: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments Sounds good Hacen... if you just copy the month into Notepad or a comment here in a tab, you can plug in the missing numbers and make a post, and I can just replace my list for the month with yours...

I think I'm going to knock out some of the emptier months at the end, if I can continue doing it while finishing my audiobook and waiting for the New Year to start...

message 23: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:38PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments The Land of the Painted Caves and the other Earth's Children books are a bunch of cheaters lol... I found that 1264 page version pretty far down the list... it's a Large Print Edition in a bigger font... it's 50% longer than the 2nd longest version, and almost double the size of the shortest :)

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Great idea Iain. I should have some downtime tomorrow afternoon if you want me to take a month or two. Just let me know which.

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:26AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments @Bill: You can take February... Hacen already volunteered for January

@Jenna: Since people are volunteering to take months, if you want to take March, that would be great...

I did September/October/November/December... I might do some more later...

April/May/June/July/August are still unassigned and incomplete at the moment...

message 26: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments I'll do August. I am just supposed to check for the highest number of pages from all the English editions of each book, correct?

message 27: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments I can do April next

Saar The Book owl | 1966 comments That's a great idea, Iain. I will not read all the books in English. My main language is Dutch. is it useful to you that I put the pages of the Dutch translations between brackets?

Saar The Book owl | 1966 comments @Iain: nevermind my previous post. I've read your explanation in the other topic. I'm not awake, I think.

message 30: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Saar wrote: "@Iain: nevermind my previous post. I've read your explanation in the other topic. I'm not awake, I think."

What other topic, Saar? Ok I vote we all go back to sleep and then see if all the creepy numbers and lists make sense tomorrow, we have loads of time.

message 31: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments @Hacen: Alright on April, thanks for January, and this is where I got 519:

Published March 16th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton
Kindle Edition, 519 pages

@Zaara: Yes, just duplicate the list if you can, like Hacen did for January... most of us will be reading English, so we can only use the highest English edition numbers...

@Saar: I labeled this thread English so others could make lists for other languages if there were enough people planning to read in those languages... or I can just link to your comment, and you can be a repository for Dutch page numbers in this thread... starting to append different language numbers might get confusing as more people start providing different languages: Dutch, German, etc... I dunno how many different languages are being read in this group, only those 2 specifically...

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments @Hacen: I also kept the number I found for Clan of the Cave Bear recently... I went and did all Earth's Children since they all have a large print edition with very few ratings like Land of the Painted Caves did... not sure how "fair" that edition is, but it exists... I've never seen other books with Large Print editions...

message 33: by Hacen (last edited Dec 31, 2017 10:48PM) (new)

Hacen | 883 comments Iain wrote: "@Hacen: I also kept the number I found for Clan of the Cave Bear recently... I went and did all Earth's Children since they all have a large print edition with very few ratings like Land of the Pai..."

K I edited my post just in case anyone looks at it instead of the top list :)

message 34: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments Zaara wrote: "Saar wrote: "@Iain: nevermind my previous post. I've read your explanation in the other topic. I'm not awake, I think."

What other topic, Saar? Ok I vote we all go back to sleep and then see if al..."

Not 100% sure Zaara, but I asked about doing something like this on the rules page, and there's been lots of discussion throughout this folder about which numbers we can use...

The rule is basically that we can't be taking advantage of wordy foreign languages with higher page counts if we're not reading the books in that language... so I'm not sure how useful Dutch page counts will be to anybody besides Saar... regardless, it will be useful to her to make the list, and recording in a comment/thread should avoid it becoming lost...

message 35: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 31, 2017 11:00PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments It might be a good idea to wipe your comments with the full month list in it down to Month name submitted once I update the list at the top... I don't have the power to wipe threads for cleanliness the way mods do for the Please Add this page and the Master list page... don't want these random duplicate lists to confuse people that still haven't seen what we're doing, yet...

I'll leave the name tags on the months people helped me fill in... thanks by the way...

Once I have the full year setup, I'll recycle my first comment or 2 after December as a condensed backup inside a spoiler tag, as protection from accidental wipes...

Saar The Book owl | 1966 comments Iain wrote: "@Hacen: Alright on April, thanks for January, and this is where I got 519:

Published March 16th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton
Kindle Edition, 519 pages

@Zaara: Yes, just duplicate the list if you ..."

I think it will be less confusing if I read the books in English. Maybe it will be a bit of a mess if we have topics for other languages, because I guess most of the group reads in English?

message 37: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments It seems everybody reads at least some books in English, and most read most/all in English... I assume it's whichever they can get cheaper or at all...

message 38: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:18AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments Thanks Bill/Hacen... I think there is a problem with that Way of King number... I double checked it, and it exists... but so does a Nook version with 3159 pages if you dig deeper into the editions page...

This is them ebook locations rearing up, I think... on my Kindle, a 300 page book has 5000 locations or something, I'm not sure how exactly they're measured... but I googled how Nook works and their PDP format lists each finger swipe as a page change, even tho depending on font face and size, that can vary heavily from reader to reader...

So, in this one case, I'm going to include a more reasonable number for now... most ebook versions with page numbers aren't nearly as crazy... this one is so crazy I feel tempted to do a re-read just to compete :P

message 39: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments @Zaara: As long as it's english, it counts, so I used the 1303 number... Subterranean Press does limited edition hardcovers and leatherbound books... usually with extra art and stuff...

If I'd been making the list, I'd have missed it, tho, since I mostly stuck to the 1st page of highest rated editions... except when I thought there was a large print edition for the whole Earth's Children series earlier...

message 40: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments Iain wrote: "Thanks Bill/Hacen... I think there is a problem with that Way of King number... I double checked it, and it exists... but so does a Nook version with 3159 pages if you dig deeper into the editions ..."

Yea I thought it was high but I figured you'd take a look at it and make a final decision 😁

message 41: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments The highest page count for GotM is 768:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-M...

message 42: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments Samir wrote: "The highest page count for GotM is 768:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-M......"

Good catch!

message 43: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments Updated... anybody feel free to take Samir's queue and alert me to any blunders... some books have pages and pages of editions/translations to sift through, and I usually just relied on the most popular editions on the first page...

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

March

Empress of Mijak = 752
The Liar's Key = 672
Seer of Sevenwaters = 448
The Crystal Shard = 352
Crucible of Gold = 386
Gemina = 672
Sword-Bound = 400
Old Man's War = 351
A Betrayal in Winter = 366
The Steerswoman = 288
Definitely Dead = 359
The Valley of Horses = 880 (Large Print)
Crimes Against Magic = 420
The Curse of the Mistwraith = 851
The Dragonbone Chair = 944
Six of Crows = 495
Firebrand = 336
Tower of Thorns = 432
Streams of Silver = 384
Waylander = 384
Skullsworn = 608
Elantris = 672
Nemesis Games = 608
All Together Dead = 342
The Fires of Heaven = 989
Blood Follows = 121

message 45: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments Thanks for filling in the rest... I'll copy them to the top in the morning when I'm on my PC... got work tonight...

message 46: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments I copied everything over, if you guys could delete your copies when you get a chance, to keep the page clean...

Now we just need to maintain it going forward...

I liked Bill's idea of including a normal print edition count along with the Large Print count, so I did that for the rest of Earth's Children, as well... I dunno if we're counting large print, similar to my questions about Way of Kings...

message 47: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Regarding the page count for the team reading challenge. After realizing all of the mess this is causing, the mods have decided that we will be going with the page count of the most popular edition on Goodreads.

The exception to this would be if you actually do read it in another language, then go with the most popular edition for that language.

The reasoning behind it: this thread. It says it all... too much work... We do thank Iain for organizing it all, but we realize that it will just cause more and more work as time goes by.

Really Iain, thank you so much and we do apologize for all the work that you already put in. You don't need to change the page numbers for all of the things you already did. People can just search it on the book page since it will be the first one to come up.

message 48: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15683 comments I'm actually not sure who did more work on this anymore... me or Bill...

And I still see some merits in this list, just not as many as before... and not having to search out the longest version anymore will save some time all around...

One of the main advantages, for me, was for if/when I stop religiously updating my scorecard daily, having a page where I can pull the page counts quickly seemed useful..

message 49: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7214 comments Mod
Yes, thanks for your above and beyond work on this. If anything, you saved us all a headache as we figured out the pitfalls of our system when it would be too late to do anything about it. :)

message 50: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5357 comments This is awesome, thank you!!!

« previous 1