2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Ready Player One

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 10, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Ernest Cline‘s book, Ready Player One.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Joan, Eirelyn, Scott, LIndsay, Susy, Brianna, Bethany, Colleen, Kristin, Julia, Sabrina, Greer, Camille, Susan, Vicky, Robin, Kari, VIshnu, Mikayla, Kristy

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 94
Week 2: 94
Week 3: 94
Week 4: 94

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments If I can, I'll jump in on this in January! I've been wanting to do a reread before the movie is released.

message 4: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I would like to join this too please.

message 5: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Lindsay wrote: "I would like to join this too please."

I have added you to the list of participants!

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Brianna wrote: "If I can, I'll jump in on this in January! I've been wanting to do a reread before the movie is released."

There's a movie coming out? O no, that means I should read it too😳

message 7: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Susy wrote: "Brianna wrote: "If I can, I'll jump in on this in January! I've been wanting to do a reread before the movie is released."

There's a movie coming out? O no, that means I should read it too😳"

Should I add you to the list of participants? :)

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Mary Pat wrote: "Should I add you to the list of participants? :)"

Waiting for it to come through at the library, I'm gonna give it a shot 🙃, so yes please....

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 2 comments So how do you do reading budes because I want to start do this. But I do not know to start

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I'm planning on starting this one today! I can't wait.

Bethany - you basically just make comments about the book whenever you want to. Just make sure to use the spoiler tags in case others aren't as far in the book as you are.

message 11: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Bethany wrote: "So how do you do reading budes because I want to start do this. But I do not know to start"

It's pretty easy! If you want to join this buddy read, you simply post here or in the Buddy Reads Intro thread here and let us know! I will add you to the list of participants. Then all you have to do is read the book and post your thoughts and comments in the thread for that book.

We do ask that you mark spoilers so if someone is at a different stage of the book than you, you don't give away any major plot developments!

Be sure to check out the first post (here) for more details!

Would you like me to add you to the participants list for this book?

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I just read the first part (0000). I love that it references the 80's. I had looked up everything on the computer as I went along.

message 13: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I had looked up everything on the computer as I went along."

Wow, talking about commitment! 👍

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments They were actually some thing I didn't remember from the 80's so it was sort of fun.

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 4 comments Please add me! This book is hard to put down, really enjoying it!!!

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Grmpf, still waiting for my copy to arrive....

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I’ve read through chapter 13. I’m enjoying it. I love all the 80’s stuff. I didn’t completely know what it was about. I just knew a lot of people recommended it.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments I'd like to join if it's not too late yet:)

message 19: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Julia wrote: "I'd like to join if it's not too late yet:)"

It's never too late (unless the month has passed of course....)!

message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments My heart felt like it just dropped and I broke out in sweats. I’m loving this book.

message 21: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Brianna, Bethany, Colleen, Kristin, Julia - I have added you to the list of participants! Enjoy!

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 26 comments Add me to this one too please. I have wanted to read this for so long.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I would have loved to be a part of this group, however my library has a very long wait list so I won’t have the book till the end of the month.... maybe next time.

message 24: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Michelle wrote: "I would have loved to be a part of this group, however my library has a very long wait list so I won’t have the book till the end of the month.... maybe next time."

Not sure when mine will come in.....

message 25: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 11 comments I'd like to be added to this please.. It's the perfect excuse to start in on my 2018 tbr.

message 26: by Camille (new)

Camille | 15 comments Add me to the list please will try to get the book this week

message 27: by Greer (new)

Greer (foxingontheedges) | 24 comments I just put a hold on it from the library, I'd love to join.
Hopefully if arrives very soon.

message 28: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments If I didn't have a million errands to do this afternoon and work this evening I'd probably be done with this book. I got through "Level One". It is hard to put it down. I'm trying not to pick it up now because I have a ton of work to do.

What a lonely life the main character leads. I can see how with computers we could get to this point in the future. I think my copy of the book is the movie cover. Normally I don't like that but for this book I do. On the front they have the travel trailers stacked up on it and that is where they live. I'm glad I have that in my head while reading the book. It helps me visual it. I think the world building in this one is really fun.

I've read through chapter 16. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1214 comments I have my hands full with a couple other books at the moment, but I hope to get to this one soon! :D I'm glad to see a lot of you are enjoying it. That makes me excited to get started.

message 30: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Sabrina wrote: "If it’s not too late could I join?"

Of course Sabrina, welcome!

message 31: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:36AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Sabrina, Greer, Camille, Susan & Vicky - I have added you to the list of participants!

message 32: by Raviteja (new)

Raviteja (fraggerbot) | 348 comments I have been planning to read this for a while. Can I join too?

message 33: by Pam (last edited Jan 04, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Pam | 5 comments I started the audiobook because the wait list for the ebook/book in my public library is so long, I won’t get it in time to be a part of this buddy read; I hope it’s not too late to join.

You must like the 80s, be into games and VR to enjoy this book. I can’t stop listening because I want to see what happens between the 80s movie, music and video game references. I’m on chapter 16.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Pam (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:31PM) (new)

Pam | 5 comments I’m on Level 2, chapter 24.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin Hampton | 4 comments I'd like to join this Buddy Read, please.

message 36: by Karianne (new)

Karianne (karibean13) | 33 comments Add me to this buddy read, please!

I'm interested to see how much of the 80s references they'll retain in the movie; from the initial trailer I saw, I didn't realize how 80s-obsessed the book was (which made it a pleasant surprise!).

message 37: by Vishnu (new)

Vishnu Narayanan (vishnunarayanan) | 2 comments I'd like to join this. What's the next step ?

message 38: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Robin, Kari, VIshnu - I have added you to the list of participants! All you have to do now is read the book and participate in the discussion.

It is especially important that participants mark spoilers appropriately so that the book’s contents are not revealed to someone who is not as far along as others is the group. You can mark spoilers by placing [spoiler] before the text and [/spoiler] after the text using <> instead of [].

Check out the first post (here) for more information about Buddy Reads!

Let me know if you have any questions!

message 39: by Joan (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I just completed Level 2. It has lost it's luster a little bit for me but I'm still having fun with it. It is sort of how I get when there is an infinitely long chase scene in an action movie. Sometimes I just feel like end it already. I'm not completely that way with the book because there are a lot of parts that have kept up my interest.

Kristin - Thanks for that site that you posted. I think maybe those popular people from the 80's were left out just because they weren't Cline's favorites.

So in Level 2 (view spoiler)

message 40: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Loving the 80’s references. The funny thing is during the 80s I hated a lot of the music and much preferred 60s and 70s. I was really bad at those 80s video games but definitely dropped a lot of quarters at the arcades. Really enjoying the book so far.

message 41: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I finished this yesterday. I thought Level 3 was a little better than Level 2 (view spoiler)

I ended up rating it a 4 star book just because I felt like I predicted some parts. There were a lot of great parts in this book though and some great surprises. I really enjoyed it.

What did you all think?

message 42: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Still waiting on my copy from the library :'(

message 43: by Greer (new)

Greer (foxingontheedges) | 24 comments My library hold came in, will start reading this week.

message 44: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Mikayla wrote: "Please add me"

Done!

message 45: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Mikayla wrote: "Thank you. Not sure how long it will take for the library to get it. Or how long it'll take for me to read it either as I'm joining a couple other challenges this month.

Can I start mid month? "

Sure you can Mikayla! Everybody starts in his own time and reads in his own pace, so no worries. I'm still waiting for my copy too.

message 46: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Joan wrote: "I finished this yesterday. I thought Level 3 was a little better than Level 2 [spoilers removed]

I ended up rating it a 4 star book just because I felt like I predicted some parts. There were a lo..."

I liked Level 1 the best and I agree it dipped in 2 and then improved again in 3. I have also rated 4 stars although I thought it was going to be 5 when I was reading the first part. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments Lindsay - It looks like we had the same take on the book!

message 48: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Kristin wrote: "I saw just saw your post, Lindsay! Glad you liked the book, overall. I too thought Level 2 was a little slower, at least the first half of it, but my biggest criticisms of the book were fairly cons..."

I'm looking forward to seeing the film now. It will be interesting to see how close it comes to the images in my head! I think it might have a pretty good soundtrack too.

message 49: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Kristin wrote: "I saw just saw your post, Lindsay! Glad you liked the book, overall. I too thought Level 2 was a little slower, at least the first half of it, but my biggest criticisms of the book were fairly cons..."

Yes! That’s why I joined the buddy read, so I can read the book before the movie comes out.

message 50: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Susy wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I saw just saw your post, Lindsay! Glad you liked the book, overall. I too thought Level 2 was a little slower, at least the first half of it, but my biggest criticisms of the book ..."

I generally like to read the book first before I have someone else's version in my head.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ready Player One (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ernest Cline (other topics)