UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > What's your next challenge?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Normally there's a flurry of activity at the end of the year with everyone rushing to finish reading challenges. I've got one book to go on my one word A-Z titles challenge so I haven't quite made the 2017 deadline!

I'm thinking about starting a Colour in the title challenge for 2018.

How are you doing with your challenges and what's next? Fancy joining me for colours?

BTW Happy New Year Everyone!

message 2: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments That sound fun Kate!

I love a challenge but am only just about coping with genres and time-travelling, I'm afraid my other challenges like reading 80 countries. USA states and the UK counties have fallen woefully behind!!!

I'm blaming full-time work, being a Mum (AKA taxi-driver for teenage daughters who can't start driving lessons for another four years!!) and a bit of Netflix habit.

But now you've got me thinking... The Color Purple by Alice Walker The White Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #2) by Philippa Gregory The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1) by James Ellroy Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie . I

I'm tempted, although I'll probably fail!!

message 3: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
I will be setting up the new genre challenge thread tomorrow! I'm almost finished the US states challenge and I'm carrying on with the time traveller too. I'm also hoping to extend my around the world with a few extra countries this year.... So it's more of the same for me!

message 4: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
So, are any of you up to starting a new challenge for the year?

Many of our regular challenges are still ongoing and can be joined at anytime:

The Genre Challenge,
The Time Traveller Challenge
Around the World in 80 Books
UK Counties Challenge
The USA in 51 Books
The A-Z Challenge

but who's looking for something new?

I'm toying with the idea of the 'Dusty Bookshelf Challenge'. The idea would be to dig out volumes from the bottom of your to-read list (or the back of your physical bookshelves), those ones that have been languishing for years. We could aim for 5 or 10 for the year? For added spice, they could be posted on the thread and other group members can tell you which to read next.

Let me know what you think. It's just one idea, do let me know if you have any others.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 356 comments 'Dusty Bookshelf Challenge' - I need this so much.

message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
I knew I wasn't the only one ;)

message 7: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
A dusty bookshelf challenge sounds good to me.
I've done a tally up of where I'm at with all my challenges and have worked out I need another 27 American States, 22 more English Counties and 12 more A-Z animal names. This could be the challenge that makes me dig out all the books to complete at least one or make a dent in some of these challenges!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 549 comments Ooh, didn't know some could be joined at anytime, might have a nosy!

message 9: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
BTW I have started a new thread for the Dusty Book Shelf Challenge. Please take a look and join in :)

message 10: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jan 05, 2020 04:02AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Dusty Bookshelf Challenge!

Just rummaged and found 8/10 that have been languishing for decades from my dining room bookcase. Got to find two from my bookcases down in my other lounge!
Reading all the titles looking for my chosen ones I realise that most of the books have been there years and bought back memories of where I got them! Especially my holiday in Hay on Wye!

message 11: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
There's nothing like a good rummage ;) Yes, I found my choices brought back memories too - happy ones I am glad to report.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2756 comments Besides trying to participate in the challenges here I've got a few other challenges

- finish a few series off
- read the first book in a number of series I have on my bookshelf
- make some progress on a number of other series I've had on the go.

I've also got a monthly challenge, either a genre or an author. For January, I'm trying to read a few Canadian books; maybe one anyway. Starting with Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 11 comments The 2020 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge. It will take me through the year until Victober and Non-Fiction November.

message 14: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "The 2020 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge. It will take me through the year until Victober and Non-Fiction November."

What's Victober? - do you have to read Victorian novels by any chance? I have a couple of friends who've done the Popsugar challenge in previous years. Looks fun. Let us know how you get on.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Looking at the list of books I’ve read so far this year there are a few new authors I’ve never read before so I shall challenge myself to read more new authors this year too.

message 16: by Kate, Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2021 10:46AM) (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
So what reading challenges are you attempting for 2021? Do you have any unfinished challenges or are you taking on new ones?

There are all these regular challenges on offer which you can jump into at anytime:

The Genre Challenge,
The Time Traveller Challenge
Around the World in 80 Books
UK Counties Challenge
The USA in 51 Books
The A-Z Challenge
The Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
And not forgetting the currently running Lockdown Challenge

I didn't make as much headway with my challenges during 2020 as I'd hoped so I still have to get:
23 American States
20 English Counties
and 10 more A-Z animal names.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2756 comments I'm trying the Dusty Bookshelf challenge again

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Bill wrote: "I'm trying the Dusty Bookshelf challenge again"

Yes me too! But looking at all the books on my bookcases they are all dusty! 🤣

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2756 comments Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'm trying the Dusty Bookshelf challenge again"

Yes me too! But looking at all the books on my bookcases they are all dusty! 🤣"

lolol! I know that feeling

message 20: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Oh Lynne LOL that is so true for me too!

message 21: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 356 comments My challenge this year is to resist all challenges!!
I have plenty of books to read and no problem chosing which one. I just sign up for challenges and then forget about them until December 31st.
This year will read 'free range'.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Esther wrote: "My challenge this year is to resist all challenges!!
I have plenty of books to read and no problem chosing which one. I just sign up for challenges and then forget about them until December 31st.
T..."

Now that’s a brilliant idea!

message 23: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
Esther, I love the sound of 'free range' reading!

I used to join in the GoodReads reading challenge and set myself a target number of books for the year. I stopped doing it a couple of years back, as I found I was avoiding long books in my efforts to make up the numbers.

Removing the number goal has allowed me to relax and enjoy the doorstops and more challenging reads as well.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 549 comments I don't think I know how to read without challenges anymore! I just reduce the number of books so that I can read doorstops

message 25: by Esther (last edited Jan 07, 2021 11:18AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 356 comments I find the GR challenge is more of a progress metre giving me a sense of where I am in the year. Also it helps me understand when I am not putting aside enough free time to read.
I try to give a realistic total I can achieve depending on how many bricks or short stories I plan to read.
This year I didn't meet the challenge because I used to read on my commute and during the first lockdown I stopped reading because I had no commute.
When I realised I was getting behind on my GR challenge I rearranged my day to fit in some reading time.

message 26: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
I shouldn't admit this but when I realised I was getting behind on my GR challenge I changed the total! lol (only from 52 to 50 though)

message 27: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 356 comments Kate wrote: "I shouldn't admit this but when I realised I was getting behind on my GR challenge I changed the total! lol (only from 52 to 50 though)"

One year I had calculated on reading a short story every month and so upped the total appropriately. Then halfway through the year I couldn't understand why I was so behind until I realised I hadn't read any of the short stories.
In the end I decided to reduce my total a bit and read a few short stories.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 549 comments I've also done that! Although last year I got to increase it 3 times and still ended up over my target

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I retired 7 yrs ago from being a night SHCA with Marie Curie, looking after patients at home 1 to 1. To pass the time at night I read....a lot! 200+ a year.
Since then I’ve been nowhere near! Go figure! I am averaging 100 now though! With last years total being 115.
Obviously retirement gets in the way of reading. But being in lockdown my reading has crept up, I have barely been out the house & garden for almost a year now, it was far to busy during summer here in Brixham with the tourists around who didn’t give a damn about social distancing.

message 30: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 760 comments I have exceeded planned total for last 2 years but this was significantly down on previous totals. Have upped this year as reading has crept upwards again. Just need to get writing up to and not scribbling on Goodreads' threads...

message 31: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
So what are your reading plans for 2022?

Are you setting up a target on the Goodreads reading challenge? (mine is normally 50 books)

Have you got UK Bookclub challenges to finish or are you going to start a new one?
You can choose from the Around the World in 80 Books, the UK Counties challenge, The USA States and then there's the ongoing monthly genre challenge and our time traveller challenge has just reached the 1800s. Or maybe you want to tackle some of those long term TBR books with the Dusty Bookshelf challenge.

I'm hoping to finish the counties challenge and the US states challenge this year they've been underway for sometime!

Let us know what your challenges for 2022 are going to be.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2756 comments At the moment I have 5 challenges planned.

- a 12 + 4 challenge where I will start 16 new series for me, 8 that have been on my bookshelf the longest and 8 that will be my most recent purchases
- a Dusty challenge, where I'll pick books from the 1st 1/3rd of my bookshelves (books I've had the longest; will probably use a random number generator)
- a Middle of the Road challenge, where I'll pick books randomly from the middle third of my bookshelf (at the moment it's sort of around 400 - 800ish purchases)
- my Newby bookshelf to Infinity, where I'll pick from my most recent purchases
- a Monthly Challenge where I'll focus on specific genres. January will be Biography and Auto-biography
There will be other challenges but for the most part I'll try to fit the books from my 5 above challenges into these other ones. :-)

message 33: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3484 comments Mod
New Year, new reading challenges?
My main challenge this coming year will be just to keep reading!

We are still in the middle of both the genre challenge and the time traveller challenge (feel free to join in if you fancy either), so I'll be continuing with those.

I met the target on the around the world challenge a while back, although I am still finding books to fill in the gaps.

I will set up another list of dusty bookshelf books to tackle in 2022, but I'll start with just 5 this year to reduce the pressure.

What challenges are you aiming for? Anything you want to do as part of the group?

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2756 comments I will continue trying the Time Traveller Challlenge and the genre Challenge. I'll probably do another Dusty Book Challenge as well. Thanks for keeping it going.