What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Engraved in Stone
This topic is about Engraved in Stone
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 90s-00s YA Fantasy about a princess and prince who both want out of arranged marriage. SPOILERS ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emi (new) - added it

Emi (emibee) | 18 comments I read this probably around 2000-2009, and I remember pulling it from the YA section at my library.

The main character was a princess who was supposed to marry a prince she hated through an arranged marriage that was literally written on a stone. The prince didn't want to marry the princess either. There might have been a wizard or witch? All I really remember is that the princess and prince went on a quest to change what the stone said so they would be freed from the marriage. The writing on the stone was something like "The Princess will marry the Prince on the day of her 16th birthday." or something similar.

*SPOILERS*
They ended the arranged marriage by just inserting the word "not" into the sentence so it read "The Princess will not marry the Prince on the day of her 16th birthday." However, they had fallen in love with each other during the quest, so they married anyway, just on a different day.

message 3: by Emi (new) - added it

Emi (emibee) | 18 comments Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ wrote: "The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool?"

That's not it. I think the cover had the stone on it. It was a boulder-sized I believe. I don't think there were any illustrations in the book either (or at least they didn't leave an impression on me).

message 5: by Emi (new) - added it

Emi (emibee) | 18 comments Tab wrote: "Engraved in StoneEngraved in Stone by Alice Scovell Coleman by Alice Scovell Coleman"

I think that's it! Thanks!! :)