Dungeons & Dragons Experiment discussion

General > Question

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Austin | 614 comments Mod
so curios, how will this group work if it is open to the public? I've heard that 6 players per campaign is usually the max. also how will you handle inactive players. one things start up?

message 2: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Quemares | 279 comments Mod
What I had in mind is that folders will be created for campaigns and a Mod will be in charge of their threads. That mod will be the DM for that campaign and will be able to control who can comment or not. There will also exist the "Nexus" which will be like regular role-roleplaying group on this site with no DM and every character may interact with each other.

message 3: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Kat wrote: "I’m gonna need help making a character...... I’ve never done D&D before >.<"

Do you want to create it now? I can help you out through messages?

message 4: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Alright.

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments What is the difference between a diplomat's and an entertainers pack?

message 6: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Diplomat: Contains soap, sealing wax, vial of perfume, 5 flask of oil, a lamp, ink pen, bottle of ink, fine clothes, 2 cases for maps and scrolls and chest to carry all of that.

Entertainer: Contains disguise kit, waterskin, 5 days of rations, 5 candles, 2 costumes, bedroll and a backpack to carry everything

message 7: by The Batman (Reagan) (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Thanks! Any way I can trade in the clunky chest for a satchel or a backpack? Or is the chest just something that fits on my back anyway?

message 8: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

You may trade the chest for a satchel or a backpack, I don't mind.

message 9: by The Batman (Reagan) (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments I'm probably overthinking this, sorry. I just pictures him trying to haul the chest around and knew a beast of burden would require a lot of extra expenses.

message 10: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

So I'm assuming that Quemares will be a gm. Hey Quemares, what is the story of the campaign?

message 11: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

I mean, I guess I'll be GM. Although I want to finish a few things before dedicating more time into this. You people want to know the story beforehand or figure it out as we go along?

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Quemares wrote: "I mean, I guess I'll be GM. Although I want to finish a few things before dedicating more time into this. You people want to know the story beforehand or figure it out as we go along?"
Figure it out as we go.

message 13: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Personally I would like a story or at least a goal.

message 14: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Oh, don't get me wrong. You will have a set goal and there is a story currently sitting on my computer/notebook. The question if you want me to spill the beans before we start or if you want to wait till we start and the story unfolds...

message 15: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

when you explain it that way then yeah we can have the story unfold. But could we possibly get a backstory of the world so we can craft our characters into the world.

message 16: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Alright, I'll give a detailed backstory once I'm done with the other thing I'm doing in this group. Probably tomorrow..

message 17: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Character applications are for my campaign. Yes, you may put just the character name but you must fill out the new information required. Alternatively, you could leave it blank and take the default choices.

message 18: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

will this be in 5E?
that is what i have a book for

message 19: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

also what level will out characters be?

message 20: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Yes, we will be playing 5th Edition D&D. And everyone will start as 1st level. It's easy for newcomers to start as 1st level and it will make it easier to try how things work on this group.

message 21: by Astraris (new)

Astraris | 5 comments Hey, I was just wondering if I was able to use the 27 point-buy system for the character I’m trying to make. It’s the one I’m personal most comfortable using, personally, and think it gives the most balanced characters (not balanced in power level, balanced as in consistent)

message 22: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

You are the first person I have met that uses the point-buy system....sure, you may use it.

message 23: by Astraris (new)

Astraris | 5 comments Thanks. All the tables I’ve played at have used it. Rolling for stats in a campaign that’s intended to last a while is rare for the people I’ve played with, but that’s mostly because they don’t like the randomness: I’ll finalise my character in the morning :)

message 24: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

So was thinking about testing out a few scenarios here.
1. purely modern/ futuristic, the scenario is that in September 2051 the US is in the middle of ww3 and a united Korea has occupied the western US up to the Mississippi river. during this time the US military is launching a counter attack to try and free the occupied zones. The players will be asked to picture what they would be like when they are adults with successful jobs. then their characters are drafted and given 3 months of training before being sent off to fight.

2. fantasy and scifi mixed; the planet of Alunora is a planet similar to earth except the civilizations there have the ability to use magic. meanwhile on earth a shortage of resources forces world powers to cooperate to make spaceships meant for colonization. they are sent off towards the closest habitual planet they can find which is Alunora. While the ships are in route, the situation on earth deteriorates further and the US and china start a nuclear war. The colony ships believe that they are the last of humanity. The players will be able to choose from any normal DND race and DND class. the players will be the natives on the planet and be the first to make contact with these "Aliens."

3. purely Scifi; a space conflict between humans on a colony planet and alien invaders. this game takes place after the events of the 2nd. Where the humans have complete control over the planet and have made contact with earth again.

message 25: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

I will ask to try out these scenarios once i get conformable with the feel on how to play this here.

message 26: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Sounds really interesting. Tell me when you want to try gm'ing

message 27: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Thanks, when I was in high school me and my friends created our own rp game where we rped as leaders of nations. These scenarios are just the most interesting things that came from the game. We have a timeline that goes from 2020 to 2980. So suffice to say the worlds are very well built.

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Kät {school will determine my activity} wrote: "Those are fascinating ideas, @Austin. I’ll definitely be interested in doing those with you once you get em set up later on :)"

Same. Also, Urban Fantasy. Traditional fantasy characters, Elves, Dwarves, etc. in a modern setting.

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Would anyone be up for a game of Roll for Shoes? It might possibly be the easiest RPG game in the world. Seriously, the official rules are something like seven sentences long.

message 30: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

I didn't know it before you brought it up. I googled it and I love the idea. If you give me time to get home, I'll make a thread so we can try it out.

message 31: by The Batman (Reagan) (last edited Jan 10, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Honey Heist is also one I think would be hilarious.

Anyway, what genre should we play Roll for Shoes in? Literally, it's the kind of system where we could do anything from piloting an intergalactic spaceship in a High concept Sci-Fi to running a fast food restaurant. The possibilities are endless.

message 32: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

I created a folder for Roll for Shoes. Sorry, I arrived late today and created the first things that came to mind. Feel free to suggest how I should set it up.

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Quemares wrote: "I created a folder for Roll for Shoes. Sorry, I arrived late today and created the first things that came to mind. Feel free to suggest how I should set it up."

Thanks!

message 34: by The landmaster (new)

The landmaster (landonzea) | 315 comments Mod
Glad you chuckled at my comment Q, I'll take that as mission accomplished. Also, I don't have a problem with the posting order, but how are we going to reconcile that with initiative? My thought is that we ever get jumped, we all roll and then switch the order as need be before continuing. Did you have something else in mind?

message 35: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

we could just change the order every initiative and keep it based on initiative.

message 36: by The landmaster (new)

Yeah, I'm down for that. Whatever works.

message 37: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

That's what I had in mind. Initiative would determine the order during and after the encounter until another encounter changes it.

message 38: by The landmaster (new)

I'm thinking that the DM can be an exception to the rotation order, seeing as he might need to consult with players personally about their rolls and effects. Right? For example, if we were in a conversation and the first person asked a question where the answer would determine what the next person said, we would want the DM to have the flexibility to respond. Have we talked about this before?

message 39: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

Mmmm...you are right, I believe the DM should be able to butt in at any time during the order to answer questions and alter the order and such.

message 40: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Yeah like now, we all want to go different places. So you should respond to each group going their own direction.

message 41: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Hey Q I'm almost ready to start posting stuff for my experimental modern campaign. Can you make me a mod?

message 42: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

I'll do so tomorrow. First thing in the morning....whenever I wake up. If by tomorrow you aren't mod, yell at me and remind me.

message 43: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

cool, cause I just finished compiling weapons for the people to pick from.

message 44: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

How do you add pictures to posts. Also how do you bold on posts?

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments Austin wrote: "How do you add pictures to posts. Also how do you bold on posts?"

There's a button that says 'some html is okay' hitting that will show you how to format posts with the proper HTML tags. If you still need help, PM me.))

message 46: by Austin, CEO of the world's largest and most evil Megacorperation (new)

Thanks

message 47: by The landmaster (new)

Im trying to figure out pictures, but we might not want to post direct pictures, it messes with the app. As for bold I think it’s < b > directly before the bolded section and < / b > directly after.

message 48: by The Batman (Reagan) (last edited Jan 17, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

The Batman (Reagan) (thebatman7424) | 306 comments The landmaster wrote: "Im trying to figure out pictures, but we might not want to post direct pictures, it messes with the app. As for bold I think it’s directly before the bolded section and directly after."

image: <@img src="Put your link here and remove the @'s"@/> Use spoiler tags if you're on the app.

message 49: by The landmaster (last edited Feb 10, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

My apologies guys, I have a packed weekend. I’ll be in for another 30 min or so, but after that I’ll probably be hit and miss at best. So, AC is a DC: check, DC is a number you roll against to gauge effect: check, Dc for attacks is AC: I knew this was standard, but is it possible to use DC instead? For example, I want missiles to have a constant DC of 19 so that the slight possibility is always there, but people don’t die left and right. Is that not allowed? We could switch it to a defenders roll DC, but that adds a lot of uneccesary back and forth rolls that would clutter up the topic. We can do that, I guess, I just thought it’d be easier to make a couple attack rolls against DC instead of AC.

message 50: by Quemares, Chilean Game Master (new)

What do you mean that missiles have a constant DC of 19? Explain yourself in details. Whenever you "cast" missiles, what happens? Does the defender roll against that DC?

« previous 1