All About YA discussion

Member's Series Tracker > CJ's Series Tracker

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments While I primarily read middlegrade adventures, I do occasionally edge up into young adult territory. Beginning in January 2018, I will track my progress in YA series on this thread.

message 2: by C.J. (last edited Jan 10, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments I'm working my way through the YA titles on my e-reader. This one has a historical setting (of the carriages and corsets variety) with manor houses and excursions into London. So far, I'm getting a gothic suspense/romance vibe with a paranormal twist.

The 1st Freak House Trilogy by C.J. Archer
Finished:
The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1) by C.J. Archer Playing With Fire (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #2) by C.J. Archer Heart Burn (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #3) by C.J. Archer

message 3: by C.J. (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments Since I'm participating in this group's 2018 Master of Reading Challenge by delving into all things steampunk, I snagged this series. Spinsters and vampires and werewolves, oh my!

EDIT: Whoops! Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series crosses a line into risque territory, so I'm changing to her YA series, which will have a rating I'm more comfortable with.

Finishing School by Gail Carriger
Finished:

Currently Reading:

To Read:
Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3) by Gail Carriger Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4) by Gail Carriger

message 4: by C.J. (last edited Mar 18, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments Another steampunk selection, which manages to blend paranormal elements, vampire slaying, and time travel. The heroines of this series are Sherlock's niece, Mina Holmes, and Evaline, Bram Stoker's younger sister. Both young ladies are in the family business, as it were.

Stoker & Holmes by Colleen Gleason
Finished:
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3) by Colleen Gleason The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4) by Colleen Gleason

Currently Reading:

To Read:

Book 5 (the final book in this series) is scheduled to release in 2018!

message 5: by C.J. (last edited Jan 04, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments More steampunk. Looking at more genre-specific titles, I can't overlook this airship trilogy. I frequent used bookstores, so I was pleased to pick up Bk1 by thrifty means.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Finished:

To Read:
Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld Goliath (Leviathan, #3) by Scott Westerfeld

message 6: by C.J. (last edited Mar 18, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments As previously mentioned, I mostly read MG. Many upper-middlegrade titles will appeal to YA readers, especially if they're really into the genre. I was thrilled by the first book in this series, so I'll be reaching for more when I'm ready for an edge-of-the-seat mystery of the ghostly variety.

Lockwood & Co. by Jonathan Stroud
Finished:
The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2) by Jonathan Stroud The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud

Currently Reading:
The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4) by Jonathan Stroud

To Read:
The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co. #5) by Jonathan Stroud

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments Looking for (and finding) more promising YA steampunk titles for this year's challenge. My interests lean more toward mysteries than alternate histories, so I'm adding this trilogy.

Clockwork Enterprises by Nikki McCormack
Finished:

To Read:
The Girl and the Clockwork Cat (Clockwork Enterprises, #1) by Nikki McCormack The Girl and the Clockwork Crossfire (Clockwork Enterprises #3) by Nikki McCormack The Girl and the Clockwork Conspiracy (Clockwork Enterprises, #2) by Nikki McCormack

message 8: by C.J. (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments This looks right up my alley. A steampunk trilogy about a world where invention is everything ... and the girl who can't.

Girl Genius Novels by Phil Foglio
Finished:

To Read:
Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1) by Phil Foglio Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2) by Phil Foglio Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius Novels, #3) by Phil Foglio

message 9: by C.J. (last edited Jan 26, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments I've read this author before (see Freak House trilogy above), so I'm comfortable dipping into another of her series. This one seems to have a steampunk ambiance.

Glass and Steele by Gail Carriger
Finished:
The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1) by C.J. Archer

To Read:
The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2) by C.J. Archer The Apothecary's Poison (Glass and Steele, #3) by C.J. Archer The Magician's Diary (Glass and Steele, #4) by C.J. Archer The Convent's Secret (Glass and Steele #5) by C.J. Archer

message 10: by C.J. (last edited May 14, 2018 07:45PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments A YA trilogy that gives a supernatural twist to a familiar historical setting (David vs. Goliath). Angels and demons, heaven and earth, shepherd boys, eternal thrones, and a passel of teenaged mongrels.

Forsaken Sons by Christa Kinde
Finished:
The Three (Forsaken Sons, #1) by Christa Kinde