Start by marking “The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)

The Mapmaker's Apprentice

(Glass and Steele #2)

When an apprentice from the Mapmakers' Guild goes missing, Matt and India are employed to find him. Going undercover as a married couple, they discover that not everyone at the guild is what they seem, and the lad's unearthly maps caused jealousy, suspicion and fear.

With one of the apprentice's magic maps in their possession, India and Matt must use their wits and India'
Published October 25th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Mapmaker's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mapmaker's Apprentice

The Journals of Professor Guthridge by Kyt WrightNefertiti's Heart by A.W. ExleyHatshepsut's Collar by A.W. ExleyNessy's Locket by A.W. ExleyNero's Fiddle by A.W. Exley
Gaslamp
119 books — 18 voters
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbThe Midwife's Apprentice by Karen CushmanThe Grave Robber's Apprentice by Allan StrattonThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris
Whose Apprentice?
107 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)
Roxy Carl
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Stop at one, or none

The first book was interesting, if a bit slow and anticlimactic. This second book is just absurd. Glass and his crew are supposed to be fantastic at infiltrating criminal gangs but I truly think they're more like five year olds. The plot is silly, they're unprofessional and make ridiculous mistakes. There might as well be nothing new in this book about India's magic because what we do learn is minuscule and really gives any further understanding of the magic in this world. I'
mina
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
The second book in the series is not going in a better direction, the writing is still weak and the characters are not well developed. I hoped the search for Chronos will be more fruit bearing which to my disappointment it was not. BUT the book has something; I enjoyed listening to it very much. I think I found my guilty pleasure.
Ann-Marie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off, I would like to ask for prayers today (4/25/19) for my niece's five month old baby Spencer who is hospitalized with probable meningitis. He is one of two precious twins. My niece is a nurse practitioner, so I'm sure she knows just enough to be terrified. Our whole family could use prayers for the best possible outcome and for peace.

I will edit this post when the news changes.

Now, the review:
This is the second book in the Glass and Steele epic, a sort of steampunky feeling Victorian a
Violet Stone
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it

I was disappointed in this book. It felt very stagnant. Even though there was magic in this book I didn't feel like I really learned anything. The rules and limits, that is. As for the romance with Glass and India I'm hoping it doesn't continue to drag on through the entire series. It's a bunch of back and forth with no real reason.

I'm still going to keep reading because I am curious but I'm pretty meh so far.
Kim Power
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Books that lead to gluttony

This series is great that I metaphorically gorge on each one as it appears. A motley crew of well drawn characters who reveal new facets over time. A self contained mystery in each one with a life or death quest running through the entire series. It is a pleasure to read something so beautifully written and engaging.
Muzmuz
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another marvelous story

The tension betweem india and matt had me all giggly and wanting more... the way they behave around each other and the way india has grown in confidence and character had me racing to read more of their moments... needless to say i will be reading book 3 as soon as i put my hands on it
Julia
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second installment.
The characters are growing on me. So is the chemistry between Matt and India. Still, India thinking she's unworthy is making me roll my eyes. At 27 y/o she should not think like a 17 y/o, not even in Victorian London. (just saying)
Karissa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book in the Glass and Steele series and I didn't like this quite as much as the first book in the series. The characters are still fun and engaging and I enjoyed the mystery (both the main mystery and the mystery around India's magic).However (aside from the smaller mystery featured in this story) the story doesn't make a lot of progress.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was very well done. I enjoy the narrator for this series quite a bit.

As for the story, I had
Hope Sloper
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: very-enjoyable
I'm completely taken with this series so far. I can't even put into words how much I love these characters. All of them, but Willie is without a doubt my favorite. Anyone who knows me and reads this story will know exactly why.
I did hope to see a little more development with Indie in this book, and this book didn't pack quite as big as a punch as its predecessor. Knowing there are two more books to read, as well as, at least a fifth in the making, I do understand the steady pace of the overal
Benedetta
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read, a bit less brilliant compared to the first instalment I would say, mostly because I'm starting to sense a pattern on how things develop.

All in all, I can say I always find myself quite surprised at the little twists in the story, which are usually represented by India's intuitions, and that's definitely a good thing, but there are no big twists or dramatic showdowns.

Still, entertaining read. But I am starting to get annoyed that nothing 'concrete' is happening between Glass and Ste
Mari (Smut Duchess)
This was another very good audio book. I like everything about this series. The characters are fun and quirky. The romance is an extremely slow burn. The mysteries are engaging and the narration is good. Learning more about India's magic and the search for Chronos may seem to take back seat to the current mystery but Matt and India are always looking for the smallest clues about the magical watchmaker. On to The Apothecary ...more
Mary
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series has everything I like, it is set in Victorian England, has mystery, magic, romance and colorful characters! Mr. Glas and Miss Steel continue to work together as a team to find a watchmaker, and then Mr. Glass is given a special missing persons job, by Captain Minroe which complicates things. Great read!
Dea
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is full of inexcusably stupid characters.
I don't know who is more irritating and with whose face I want to smash a hole in the wall with more. Willie, India, Matt and Miss Glass are just tstl.
Nadishka Aloysius
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down - and was thrilled to realise there are many more types of magicians abroad on the streets of Victorian London...
The plot thickens...
And the next book beckons...
Emily Dutton
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
So many eye rolls but had to know how it ended...
Lindap
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.50 / 4 Stars

Matt and India are still searching for the mysterious watchmaker that may have the ability to extend Matt's life by fixing the watch he uses to rejuvenate himself. If this watch should stop working Matt's life will cease to exist. While on this search they are asked to locate a young mapmaker who has suddenly disappeared. It's a case they can't refuse because the request is coming from Commissioner Monroe.

The mystery, intrigue, PNR and historical aspect is fine. However, I'm a bit
f l i k o t i n a
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Melissa Levine
R.L. Hemlock
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Mapmaker’s Apprentice” is book two in the Glass and Steele series. Picking up where book one left off, Mr. Glass is still in search of the watchmaker who made his special watch. But this cast of quirky characters are in for another adventure as an intriguing new mystery arises.

When an apprentice from the Mapmakers’ Guild goes missing, Matt and India are employed to find him. Going undercover as a married couple, they discover that not everyone at the guild is what they seem, and the lad’s u
CK
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This highly enjoyable mystery is the second part of the Glass & Steele series which is set in London, in 1890. It’s a gorgeous ongoing tale about a watch, a watchmaker’s daughter, & Shenanigans. Tidbits of story dropped in the first book are artfully carried into this instalment, which has a well contained story of its own, & new tidbits are laid out for resolution later in the series.

Our heroes face maps, American sheriffs, meddling society aunts, kidnapping, magic, class, social structure, &
Erin
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. The second installment in the glass and Steele series starts off right where the first one left off. India, whose watchmaker father recently died, works with an american cowboy/ English gentleman to solve a missing persons case.

This books is similar to her Rift series in that the books cover about a week and the books go one right to the next. They are basically a continuation of everything going on. The books are quick and fun reads.

SPOILERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Claire
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't realise I had paused reading this with only 2 pages to go. How disappointing.
This really didn't have the spark of the first in the series. The characters didn't really grow or their relationships develop, there was quite a bit more of the pointless magic stuff. It could probably be read as a standalone & not suffer although it pales compared to the opener.

Lacking in depth. Read the Watchmakers Daughter. Stop at one
John S Roth
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book!

I very much enjoy the interplay between the characters. They seem to have developed even more depth in this second episode. Excellent storyline, great balance of plot and subplots and action that will keep the reader glued to the pages!!
Céline
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
the pace was a bit too slow with not much happening. I am going to give book 3 a go but still not sure about this series
Caitlin O'Neill
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far I've loved the first two books in the series i just cant stop reading them. Cant wait to see how the main relationship progresses.
Mariana Quesada
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, romance
This one was not as great as the first one. We still have those swoon-ish scenes which I'm living for, but the mystery element in this one lacked the engrossing factor. Still we get to know more about the magic in this world.
the_queen_of_books24
This book was gripping! I definitely liked the story, and really enjoyed the touches of romance we got. But I did feel a little bored towards the end, and felt that until it was resolved at the very end, Marr’s behaviour became a little problematic.
C.M. Savage
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m loving this series! It’s quick paced, an easy read, and fun. Although there’s nothing in here that is inappropriate (although things are alluded to), I consider this an adult book as the main character is in her late twenties.
Elena
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
AHH SO GOOD!! There must be a third one. If there’s not it’s a BIIIG :(( for me hahah

• Chasing Midnight (Once Upon A Curse, #3)
  • Murder in the East End (Kat Holloway Mysteries #4)
  • Parting Worlds (Once Upon a Curse, #4)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Granting Wishes (Once Upon a Curse, #0.5)
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • Inked (Danika Frost #1)
  • Murder in Black Tie (High Society Lady Detective. #4)
  • Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective,  #3)
  • Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2)
  • The Vacuum of Space: A Funny Sci Fi Mystery (Space Janitor Book 1)
  • Murder at Blackwater Bend (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery, #2)
  • Left To Die (Adele Sharp #1)
  • Murder at the Opera (Atlas Catesby, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
Over 1 MILLION books sold!

C.J. Archer is the USA Today bestselling author of historical fantasy novels including THE EMILY CHAMBERS SPIRIT MEDIUM TRILOGY, the FREAK HOUSE series, the MINISTRY OF CURIOSITIES series and the GLASS AND STEELE books. She has also written AFTER THE RIFT, an epic fantasy series, and historical romances.

C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can rememb

Glass and Steele (10 books)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • The Apothecary's Poison (Glass and Steele, #3)
  • The Magician's Diary (Glass and Steele, #4)
  • The Convent's Secret (Glass and Steele #5)
  • The Ink Master's Silence (Glass and Steele Book 6)
  • The Cheater's Game (Glass and Steele #7)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele #8)
  • The Imposter's Inheritance (Glass and Steele #9)
  • The Kidnapper's Accomplice (Glass and Steele, #10)