Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Where do you read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments I'm heading to take my 16 year old daughter to traffic court for the first time. (UGHHHHG don't even get me started) But it got me thinking about where people read because I know I'll be taking my book along for the long wait.

So where do you read?

message 2: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Mainly at home or during lunch at work when it is poor weather or I'm that captivated by a book.

I will take my book practically everywhere I go because one never knows when downtime will occur!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lexnick) I'm always afraid to take my book out of the house for fear of leaving it somewhere. I'm a stay at home mom anyway and usually only read at home in my bedroom or in my big comfy chair in front of the air conditioner.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I read in bed at night, but if I'm going some place where I think I'll have to wait (like the doctors), I'll take my book with me.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) I read everywhere, I always carry a book around with me either in my purse or in my car (if the book is too big to fit in my purse)! I prefer my big overstuffed chair at home to read in, but I love to read on my lunch break and anytime I'm waiting anywhere!

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 3 comments Everywhere! On BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), at home curled up in my big chair with a glass of wine or cup of tea, at the beach, at the park, at the library (when I am supposed to be studying)and when I drive (just kidding). I wish I could read while a passenger in a car however every time I have tried I get really car sick!

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 12 comments I read on the bus, while waiting for appointments, at lunch if it is too rainy or cold to go outside, before bed and sometimes in the evenings on my back porch!

message 8: by Holli (last edited Aug 11, 2009 01:28PM) (new)

Holli I read everywhere too! Appts, lunches out alone, at home on the couch while watching TV, at night before I go to bed, in the morning before I get up, in the bath tub.... everywhere! LOL

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena | 129 comments My favorite place to read is on my deck with my dogs by my side. I keep moving the chair around all day following the shade. And in bed also.

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) In bed with a million pillows to prop me up! Ahhhhhhh! Heaven! LOL

message 11: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments So we all read everywhere lol we ARE addicts!! I think the most unusual place was in court today, people looked at me like I had 3 heads!

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 11, 2009 02:24PM) (new)

Tiffany | 92 comments I bought an Sony ereader with an integrated light just so I could literally take all of my books with me and read everywhere. My longest stretches of reading are usually riding in the car at dawn and rocking my daughter to sleep at dusk. I have read more books since I purchased that thing then I had in several years combined!

message 13: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I read everywhere as well.

I try to take my book with me in the car, to appointments, to in-laws house, the coffee shop, anywhere it is safe to read (not while I'm driving unless in a traffic jam somewhere and traffic is at a stand still) but I mostly read at home either on the big comfy couch or in my bed.

message 14: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments Tiffany wrote: "I bought an Sony ereader with an integrated light just so I could literally take all of my books with me and read everywhere. My longest stretches of reading are usually riding in the car at dawn a..."

Oh man....the e-readers...I've been so rejecting that technology. I refused to even look at the Kindle when my Fiance' brought it up but everyone keeps telling me how great they are. I like the way a book feels in my hands and the way the pages are cut and how they smell. I fear I'm gonna lose this battle eventually.

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 92 comments Vikki wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "I bought an Sony ereader with an integrated light just so I could literally take all of my books with me and read everywhere. My longest stretches of reading are usually riding in t..."

I do understand how you feel, Vikki. I was really unsure when I made my purchase. I do love books, but I had stopped reading. It is impossible to take my toddler into a bookstore and I most of my free time is spent in the dark (rocking her to sleep, commuting to work, etc.). The Sony does not have a keyboard, and when I first started using it I would literally try to turn the pages even though there were no pages to turn. It was the strangest experience. The books look so much more like reading a book than reading a computer screen that I forget that I don't have a book in my hand. I do think there will always be a market for physical books that you can see, touch, and smell!

message 16: by Mary (last edited Oct 29, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments I have a spot on the sofa in which everyone knows better than to sit, EVER. Except some of the more stubborn cats, but here the Law of Gross Tonnage (i.e. I Am Bigger Than You So MOVE) prevails. I also read in bed--it is a pre-sleep requirement which unfortunately often keeps me from sleeping--and I always but always have a book tucked into my bag for those unexpected down-times such as waiting in a queue.

Dolly, I wish I could read in the car but I get terrible motion sickness when I try.

Vikki, here in Virginia one is not allowed to bring any reading material into the courtrooms, which makes jury duty a real drag.

message 17: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments Mary wrote: "I have a spot on the sofa in which everyone knows better than to sit, EVER. Except some of the more stubborn cats, but here the Law of Gross Tonnage (i.e. I Am Bigger Than You So MOVE) prevails. I..."

LOL .... the Law of Gross Tonnage I'm going to use that line!

message 18: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 304 comments Tiffany wrote: "Vikki wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "I bought an Sony ereader with an integrated light just so I could literally take all of my books with me and read everywhere. My longest stretches of reading are usual..."

Oh wow I hadn't even thought about the fact that you can use it to read in the dark. My daughter is sixteen so I'm past the rocking her to sleep but she plays softball and I am usually stuck in the bathroom reading when the girls go to sleep or using the itty bitty book light.

message 19: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments Samantha wrote: "Everywhere! On BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), at home curled up in my big chair with a glass of wine or cup of tea, at the beach, at the park, at the library (when I am supposed to be studying)and..."

that is why I always have a book on tape/ CD in my truck. My husband drives the car and I drive the pick up truck and both of us have something to listen to at all times in the vehicle. I got tired of commercials on the radio and did the satelittle radio thing for a few months and then just decided I would rather go to the library and rent audio books.

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 92 comments Vikki wrote: "Oh wow I hadn't even thought about the fact that you can use it to read in the dark. My daughter is sixteen so I'm past the rocking her to sleep but she plays softball and I am usually stuck in the bathroom reading when the girls go to sleep or using the itty bitty book light."

There is only one model with an integrated light, the rest you have to attach a light. I love not having to lug a book light around and the light helped me make my purchasing decision between all the different choices out there. The reader is also smaller than carrying a paperback book. I am a small purse gal, so I love not having to carry a big bag.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 193 comments I, too, usually have a book in my purse. I read whenever I can! Waiting to get the kids from school, while they kids are in gymnastics... My favorite places to read are in my office recliner, or my most favorite, outside in the swing. :)

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) Anywhere I can. I usually read sitting on the living room couch, but I take my books with me everywhere, so if I get a couple of minutes I can read

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli I get distracted by the computer too Teri... I find sometimes I have to leave my house to get any reading done. Isn't that sad?

I'm loving reading poolside right now too.....

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments My favorite is reading at the beach! Right now the only reading time I get is while I am nursing my little one, and I usually read aloud to my baby until I get a sore throat. Is that silly?

message 25: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments I have several favorite places to read. I like to read in the bathtub and yes, I've dropped a book or two in the water. (I don't bring my good books into the tub with me for that reason) I read in bed before I sleep, cat on bed, husband snoring beside me, actually pretty cozy. I also like to read in my deliciously comfortable recliner. I've been spending a lot of time waiting in doctor's and physical therapist offices lately so I always bring a book. I also read during physical therapy in hopes that it will help me to ignore the pain. It works now and then. Another favorite place to read is at the beach. I and my sisters have done that since we were children. I'm not a beach goer now as the beach we live near is not a safe place to swim but I'm hoping another beach will be in my future some day. One with a little less wind and fog! Oh, and I recently discovered that I don't get carsick while reading anymore so when traveling a familiar route, I can now read, yay! Can't read out loud while driving, however.

message 26: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I do most of my reading on the couch or in bed. I also read a lot at work (shh, don't tell;). I always have a book with me. My favorite place to read is on my dad's back deck on a wicker bench under the awning.

Emily, when I was a baby my dad used to read the newspaper to me, it was the only way he got to read the news and get me to sleep!

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) | 24 comments I will read anywhere and everywhere that I end up with a few minutes of downtime- doctor's office, subway on the way to work, while I'm eating a meal if I'm alone (even though they say you shouldn't do that). My favorite is to sit outside on a nice day with a blanket or a chair or a swing and read.

message 28: by Holli (new)

Holli How come they say you shouldn't do that Jessica? I do that all the time... I love to eat alone and read! :)

message 29: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments after looking over my post, it seems that I read everywhere! So my favorite place is either lying on the couch with the kitty on my belly to use as a book rest or sitting in my recliner with the kitty as a book rest.

message 30: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5 comments I used to read in the car all the time, but that was before I got my driver's licence... Now it's mostly at home before I go to bed or on the subway. My favourite time to read, though, is when I have an entire day to myself and can just sit back in my sofa and let the story completely absorb me :)

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments Holli wrote: "How come they say you shouldn't do that Jessica? I do that all the time... I love to eat alone and read! :)"I know why I shouldn't read and eat at the same time. I become so engrossed in the book that before I know it, it's an hour later & I've eaten way more than I intended to eat. I shudder to think of all the extra calories I've ingested, yet I didn't enjoy the food or even remember eating!

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh I am SOOOO with you on that one! I've ordered a huge dessert after a the huge meal I just ate only because the book was so good i didn't want to leave.

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments Emily wrote: "My favorite is reading at the beach! Right now the only reading time I get is while I am nursing my little one, and I usually read aloud to my baby until I get a sore throat. Is that silly?" My babies all had Time magazine read to them while nursing. It was the only time I had to read during those early months. I always joked that they would grow up to be politicians. That hasn't worked out yet, but 2 out of the 3 are voracious readers. Enjoy your moments with your precious baby!

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments Holli wrote: "Oh I am SOOOO with you on that one! I've ordered a huge dessert after a the huge meal I just ate only because the book was so good i didn't want to leave. "Holli, that's hilarious! (she says as she reaches into the potato chip bag next to the computer).

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments Practically everywhere. My favourite times are while eating, sitting in the loo and just before going to bed

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I carry a book with me wherever I go and read whenever I have the chance to squeeze in a few pages.

Most often, I read while sitting on the couch in the evenings, in the kitchen while cooking, on the front porch on weekend mornings, beside the fountain outside my office on my lunch hour and in the doctor's office while waiting for prenatal appointments.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather | 18 comments Flopped across the bed with an old quilt on a dreary day...second best? In a hot bath until the water is cold and I can't lay there another minute. I haven't dropped one yet! I also love sitting with my oldest son, in the living room in side-by-side comfy chairs. I love it when I can read a book, beginning to end, in one day...most likely in all of my favorite places!

message 38: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Oct 28, 2009 01:59PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I missed this thread!

I spend a lot of time in doctor's office waiting rooms (due to my health) so I always have a book with me for those times. (I always have a book in my purse regardless).

At home: I read at the kitchen/dining table. On the front porch & in the back yard. On the couch & in bed. Down at the marina sitting on a bench at my favorite spot (where I also journal).

At our weekend place: I read in bed, sitting at the breakfast nook and in the yard.

If we're away, any comfy place I can get!

Even when we're sitting out by the fire here at home or at the weekend place, I've got a book and my book light!

If we're out for breakfast and Hubby's reading the paper (sometimes the places here have a copy for patrons to read) I'll pull out my book and read too.

message 39: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I literally carry a book everywhere I go. (Even in the house) Every time I have a free minute I will pick it up and read. I love reading on my love seat and outside but I will read anywhere I can get a moments peace.

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments Smitha wrote: "Practically everywhere. My favourite times are while eating, sitting in the loo and just before going to bed"

Ah yes...sitting in the loo! At my house I call it "going to the library".

message 41: by Terri (new)

Terri (brookfield) I like to read at night so I read on my bed but the best place I love to read is in the sun or on a float in the pool????

message 42: by AJ (new)

AJ (anersword) | 121 comments Do you guys get hand cramps and neck cramps sometimes from reading? I'm a chronic acher apparently.

Love my kindle which is not heavy to hold and which I read as reclined as possible on the couch or when at home, in my big stuffy chair in the quiet front room. I love traveling with the Kindle and I like to hold the actual book in my hands when I'm home.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I always, always, always carry a book with me. It's a bit hard when I'm reading something enormous, like Anna Karenina, but I make it work. I really like reading before class, but that goes by the wayside when other people show up. And I always stop work by 9:00 so I can read for an hour before bed.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) AJ, I do but then again I have arthritis!

Mandy, I carry a book w/me around the house too!

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri (brookfield) AJ wrote: "Do you guys get hand cramps and neck cramps sometimes from reading? I'm a chronic acher apparently.

Love my kindle which is not heavy to hold and which I read as reclined as possible on the c..."

yes sometime I get an neck ache when i hole the book to long

message 46: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (goodreadscomuhura) | 25 comments My favorite place to read is in the family room at sunrise in the chair by the window. I kick up my feet on the ottoman and surrender to the moment. The house is quiet and the early morning light is perfect. Otherwise, I take a book along whereever I go!

message 47: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments Like everyone else, I read just about everywhere. My favorite places to read are outside on my patio and at the pool (when the weather is nice) and at night in bed. My husband usually does the driving so I get to read in the car. When I was younger it used to make me sick but now I only feel sick if I try to read in the backseat.

message 48: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Thank goodness two other people mentioned reading in the "loo." I was beginning to feel like a freak. It's the only room in the house where I can get complete peace and quiet!

message 49: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 130 comments the couch, the bed, in the summer at the beach, on the train (when i randomly take it)...anywhere i can!

message 50: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Holli~ Did you first say that you read while watching tv?!?!?!
In the hosue, it would be in front of my wood stove in the cool monts or on the back deck in warm months...always in bed before sleeping, and in the car whenever I am waiting for a kid to get done practice

« previous 1 3