Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Determination Lists - Archive > Ann's 2018 Determination plus challenge

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Dec 26, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Determination Plus Challenge
Ten books I hope to read

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy read for the first time in August 2018, a true determination book I've meant to read for years.

2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society another book I could have read anytime in the last ten years and finally got around to the full cast audio was a superb way to experience this story told in letters and telegrams.

3. Flutter Point a book of essays, thoughtful and mostly interesting. It took me a year to finish it, reading in multiple small bites worthwhile, I bought another one to fill up the next twelve months

4. The Driest Season a thoughtful book with a coming of age theme in the time of WWII and with space to consider life, grief, love, loss, and healing. I love books that help me visit the times of past of of my parents and grandparents— the party line telephone segment was memory inducing. We got a single party line early in my childhood, but I do remember having a party line phone. While considering climate change in 2018 and that today many people no longer even have landline phones this book was particularly thought provoking for me.

5. Justice Older Than the Law: The Life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree Dovey Johnson Roundtree was an amazing woman. What a life she led, what an impact she made.

6. The Cabin at the End of the World I like the author but found this book so creepy I had to push myself to keep going. I think my taste for horror is leaving me. The book is good, but whew.

7. The Cost of Living: A Working Autobiography working my way through some library print books.

8.Everything I Never Told You I’m listing this one because I had to try again after putting it aside the first time I started reading it. I found it to be a good book, but it was nonetheless disturbing. That isn’t a bad thing, complacency isn’t a good state to stay in.

The next 8 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 8 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before) Bonfire by Krysten Ritter, the actress; I really liked it; very suspenseful

12. A book set in a different country than you live in. Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck; the setting is Germany and I found this book to be unforgettable

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want) The Take by Christopher Reich. I usually steer clear of espionage; this group read book was a welcome exception

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be) To Die but Once Maisie Dobbs #14 and Queen Anne's Lace China Bayles #26 one series I wouldn't miss and one I have a few gaps

16. A book that comes out in 2018. The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner the California Women's penal system from the inside

17. A book that was recommended to you. The Lost Pilots: The Spectacular Rise and Scandalous Fall of Aviation's Golden Couple byCorey Mead; Shomeret mentioned this book and she is right, the aviation history (and era) is fascinating

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it.
The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman; I knew I would love it and I did; sorry I waited while the copy I borrowed sat on the shelf and sorry I can't read it for the first time again
16/18

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Last year I found the bonus section pretty easy to fill in so even though I could already list the two series books, a book from another country and a book that comes out in 2018 I will wait and decide which of those to list later.
The ten challenge books are another story. I was pretty dismal at completing those last year. A challenge book can't be one I would read too easily or where is the challenge?
So for now, my challenge books will be books I own that I already wanted to read even before 2017 or early on last year but just can't seem to get to. I'll list them later.

message 3: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Ann, no true I just can't seem to get any listed I was recommended a new to me author read the book loved it now do I want to list it as a recommended book. I have two from library one of those is better to use in that spot.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments ann,
my challenge is even filling out the list, so anything i read is fair game for me to add. :)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Sherry: I may have to go that route and just pick one of my books each month to list! Hmmm.
Sherry wrote: "ann,
my challenge is even filling out the list, so anything i read is fair game for me to add. :)"

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Same here haven’t read my own books at all. Who has the time with the arcs for review. Can’t even get the library books read I have to review another today or tomorrow

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments I am continually picking up mystery books at the F2F mystery group in print version and not getting a chance to read them. That's in addition to the Goodreads giveaway wins which I do read, but I'm always behind. I keep on hoping I'll read all the GR giveaway wins and then be able to fit in some of the other print books I own. It wasn't working. So I joined a challenge this year for my print TBR. We'll see if I succeed with it.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments This discussion has given me some ideas on how to fill-out my challenge this year, thanks. It is good to know I am not the only one struggling to keep up with my "piles" of books.
If I bought it (audible or Kindle or print) last year or before and manage to read it in 2018 I'll probably list it. Ill try for one a month.

I just had a mental picture memory recall of how I used to physically pile up the books I wanted to read. Today most of my piles are virtual between my Kindle Prime books and downloaded audio books.
Time flies, methods and habits change, reading and loving books are still the point. Thank goodness!

message 9: by Sherry (last edited Feb 05, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Ann wrote: "This discussion has given me some ideas on how to fill-out my challenge this year, thanks. It is good to know I am not the only one struggling to keep up with my "piles" of books.
If I bought it (..."

lol, ann. my "real" books are easy because i can see them. i have difficulty with the digital books on the kindle because sometimes i forget they are there. don't have quite as visual a reminder of those.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Shrry: The "out of sight, out of mind" situation with my unread Kindle books has long been a problem for me and managing my reading. I don't really have a device per book, but between my phone, my tablet and my paperwhite Kindle I often read different books exclusively on each device.
Sherry wrote: "lol, ann. my "real" books are easy because i can see them. i have difficulty with the digital books on the kindle because sometimes i forget they are there. don't have quite as visual a reminder of those. ..."

message 11: by Donnajo (last edited Feb 05, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Same here but I have to ask where it show you have this many books I think on the kindle app is that including what is archive. because I deleted a bunch of freebies the beginning of the year and got my list down on that part down to the 400's. So why is it showing i have over 2,000 books. I completely delete my books when I finish reading them. I thought that wouldn't keep them could that also be including ones they still keep even though I deleted. Plus I have the NetGalley ones that are under Docs.
I also don't count my ebooks on any device.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Updated my two "extra" series books. I had a few to choose from for those so just picked Maisie Dobbs and China Bayles. Then i realized I had a true determination book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Yippee!
I'll still hold out for true determination books I've meant to read for the rest, but may end up with books I was determined to finish before a due date, or books I keep suspending the holds for. I guess we don't have to like them or find them to be profound.

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments The revenge print book I was going to read I think it is a little too much for me so gave up and reading another I had at shore so hope to get a good amount read tomorrow.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Donnajo wrote: "Same here but I have to ask where it show you have this many books I think on the kindle app is that including what is archive. because I deleted a bunch of freebies the beginning of the year and g..."

I share you dilemma between "books I'm going to read anyway" and "true determination read books." Think I''ll move the latter up on my TBR. I've been trying to get to Reflecting the Sky in the Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series forever!

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I’m now determined to get some books listed. With over a hundred books read this year you would think this would be easier. I did list two more; one that definitely fits the bill as it took me a year to finish. More to come!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments My #2 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one where I let the hype steer me away for ten years; I’m glad I finally read it and experienced the letters and telegrams through the full cast audio. The insight into the aftermath of WWII and the experiences during the war in Europe was deeply moving.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I am now at the point in the year (November 11) where what I read to finish out the year is starting to narrow down. I have some I want to finish because they grabbed my interest earlier and I haven’t managed to get to them yet. Perhaps if I mention them here I will manage to get to them by the end of the year.
An Easy Death
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Justice Older Than the Law: The Life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Same here I’m at 199 books. But most are arcs to review.

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I think I might open the top 10 up a little bit the one library book I’m reading has been on list for years to read. Besides that one I do have print owned ones going so hope I can squeeze more of reading those in.

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Ann wrote: "My #2 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one where I let the hype steer me away for ten years; I’m glad I finally read it and experienced the letters and telegram..."

Ann, so glad you got to Guernsey. It was a surprisingly good read for me and I now love to recommend it.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Ann wrote: "I am now at the point in the year (November 11) where what I read to finish out the year is starting to narrow down. I have some I want to finish because they grabbed my interest earlier and I have..."

I started Notorious RBG after seeing the documentary in the theater. Never got through it but I think in part it was because the film covered much of the same ground (what did I expect?) A great story of a great woman, who I hope is healing from her recent fall and broken ribs.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Carol: I have not seen the RBG movie yet so perhaps the book will be more compelling for me. The age old question of which to experience first: the book or the movie. ;)

message 23: by Ann (last edited Nov 24, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I am up to 13 of 18. I decided to list a library book that was due, not renewable and I was determined not to take it back unread. I am very glad the Thanksgiving holiday freed me to stay up late reading with eyes not as tired as they are after a day at work staring at my screen. The Driest Season was a very good book. Then it occurred to me that I had also finished Justice Older Than the Law: The Life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree. I savored this book on Kindle for months. Well worth the time.

message 24: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments You are doing good. I think a little of my problem is I'm being spoiled with reading some many ebooks when you try and read a print book unless it's large print it's so much harder to read the font or if the print is light. That is a problem. I'm going to make it a point to try and read some of of of the current print owned books every day.

message 25: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Donnajo wrote: " I think a little of my problem is I'm being spoiled with reading some many ebooks when you try and read a print book unless it's large print it's so much harder to read the font or if the print is light."

DonnaJo, I know just what you mean. I’m so used to reading on Kindle that I had to adjust to going back to print. But it really is just habit and I was determined! to read some of my print TBR. I found that the more print books I read, the more I got used to it again. Of course, Ann makes a good point about tired eyes. All of my print reading has been since I retired.

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I know I need a better reading light to help out with the tired eyes plaguing me at night, I do enjoy reading a print book. The convenience of digital books in print or audio is hard to beat though.

message 27: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments With me it’s the eyes and holding books open the one current one by Susan Wiggs is a pain after a while it king of hurts. Yesterday it was a good amount of jumping between arcs and print reads I finished one December live arc so today I’m going to push for more read in print, a few more chapters in the one arc and maybe get started on another December live one.
Trying to keep on top of updating the goodreads current book shelf with status.

message 28: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments When you find a good one let me know I keep buying the little ones and they don’t last the lights fade, one small one I bought at shore was good but need a new battery and can’t find replacement. I got the hug ones for around your neck but they aren’t that good. I bought a plug in clip one from ikea which my sister got too. It works good but I can’t clip it on my bed so need to figure out how to work it. I just don’t seem to have luck with book lights.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I feel pretty good about my 16 of 18 tally of determination books for 2018. It is certainly better than previous years. I considered pushing it to designate two other books i read but decided against it and was disappointed that one i thought i might finish had to go back to the library unread. The Tunnels: Escapes Under the Berlin Wall and the Historic Films the JFK White House Tried to Kill.
Perhaps it will carryover to a new list.

message 30: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Sorry you don’t think you will finish two more book for the challenge that you had to return one to library. But maybe next year.