Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Shell's spot

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (last edited Nov 19, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

Shelley | 330 comments FINISHED!

I use challenges like this to help pick out books from my very long TBR list. It will probably go through massive changes by the end of the year, but I have at least one thing for every week.

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title. Read: Lonely Hearts
Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1) by John HarveyAberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1) by Malcolm Pryce
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list. Read Rule Zero
Rule Zero by Laurence TimmsThe Vesuvius Club (Lucifer Box, #1) by Mark Gatiss
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards. Read: Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. SullivanArtemis by Andy WeirSing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth A Wizard of Earthsea
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le GuinBorn to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougallOver Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising, #1) by Susan Cooper
5. A book about or inspired by real events Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House
Fire and Fury Inside the Trump White House by Michael WolffBarcelona the Great Enchantress by Robert Hughes
6. A book originally written in a language other than English The Dead Lake
The Dead Lake by Hamid IsmailovThe Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2) by Carlos Ruiz ZafónMisterioso (A-gruppen, #1) by Arne Dahl
7. A gothic novel The Woman in White
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Night Circus by Erin MorgensternThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
8. An "own voices" book* I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
9. A book with a body part in the title Blood Rites
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher
10. An author's debut book Semiosis
Semiosis by Sue BurkeElantris (Elantris, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
11. A literary fiction How the García Girls Lost Their Accents
How the García Girls Lost Their Accents  by Julia AlvarezThe Secret History by Donna TarttThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
12. A book set in Africa or South America The President's Keepers: Those Keeping Zuma in Power and Out of Prison
The President's Keepers Those Keeping Zuma in Power and Out of Prison by Jacques PauwBrown Girl in the Ring by Nalo HopkinsonThings Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret The Secret History
The Secret History by Donna TarttDark Money The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane MayerThe Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal StephensonConspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichenwald
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire An Ember in the Ashes
The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinAn Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne JonesRhett & Link's Book of Mythicality A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery by Rhett McLaughlinHow to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu
16. A narrative nonfiction The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom
The Witch of Lime Street Séance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World by David JaherThe Long Walk The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir RawiczThe Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
17. A book you expect to make you laugh Feet of Clay
Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4) by Terry PratchettFeet of Clay (Discworld, #19; City Watch, #3) by Terry PratchettMonstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3) by Terry Pratchett
18. A book with a location in the title First Grave on the Right
The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny ColganFirst Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda JonesThe Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) The Screaming Staircase
The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends Gregor the Overlander
A Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteBridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) by Helen FieldingGregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) by Suzanne CollinsThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
21. A book written in first person perspective Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
Marathon Woman Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports by Kathrine Switzer
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for Glass Sword
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce BrownGlass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard
23. A medical or legal thriller Whose Body?
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) by Jeffery DeaverKnots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) by Ian Rankin
24. A book with a map Red Rising
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin CashorePoison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. SnyderRed Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view Six of Crows
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh BardugoThe Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie LuYou (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes
26. A book with a text only cover The Princess Saves Herself in this One
Ways of Curating by Hans Ulrich ObristThe Princess Saves Herself in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
The Long Walk The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir RawiczI Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala YousafzaiEvicted Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water Over Sea, Under Stone
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le GuinOver Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising, #1) by Susan CooperStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) Our Kind of Cruelty
Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) by Ian RankinThe Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick NessGraceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin CashoreOur Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall
30. A short book Herland
The Straw King (Dorothy Must Die, #0.5) by Danielle PaigeNormal by Warren EllisDaisy Miller by Henry JamesHerland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to Dreaming in Cuban
Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina GarcíaSecondhand Time The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich
32. An alternate history book Black Powder War
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik4 3 2 1 by Paul AusterJane Steele by Lyndsay FayeBlack Powder War (Temeraire, #3) by Naomi Novik
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) I Am Pilgrim
The Night Circus by Erin MorgensternI Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) The Name of the Rose
The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoStrange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini TaylorRedshirts by John Scalzi
35. A book featuring a murder Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1) by Julie McElwainMurder Must Advertise (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10) by Dorothy L. SayersChocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before Paradox Bound
Paradox Bound by Peter ClinesInvictus by Ryan GraudinSpoonbenders by Daryl Gregory
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee Alif the Unseen
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky ChambersAlif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
38. A science book or a science fiction book Ancillary Justice
Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) by R.A. SalvatoreSecond Foundation (Foundation #3) by Isaac AsimovAncillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title The City & the City
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1) by Dorothy L. SayersThe City & the City by China Miéville
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
Midnight's Children by Salman RushdieThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonThe Secret History by Donna Tartt
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials On What Grounds
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi NovikWool (Wool, #1) by Hugh HoweyOn What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater The Call of Cthulhu
Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleThe Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence I Let You Go
We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Samantha IrbyPaddle Your Own Canoe One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living by Nick OffermanI Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
44. A ghost storySing, Unburied, Sing
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn WardOdd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4) by Dean Koontz
45. A book that intimidates/ scares youWar and Peace
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air The Cloud Roads
The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1) by Martha WellsThe Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan StroudStrange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini TaylorThe Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own Siddhartha
Siddhartha by Hermann HesseI Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala YousafzaiNative Son by Richard WrightKushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)The Wrath and the Dawn
Dark Money The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane MayerYou (You, #1) by Caroline KepnesThe Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link) The Girl with All the Gifts
Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie LuFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. CareyScythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)Hounded
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin HearneMarathon Woman Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports by Kathrine SwitzerThe Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny ColganMy Life with Bob Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul
51. An award-winning short story or short story collectionSisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology
Sisters of the Revolution A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology by Ann VanderMeerThe Princess Saves Herself in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace
52. A book published in 2018 Victory Disc
Victory Disc (The Vinyl Detective #3) by Andrew CartmelThe Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2) by John ScalziThe Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9) by Alan BradleyBastille vs. the Evil Librarians The Worldspire (Alcatraz, #6) by Brandon Sanderson

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Dark Money sounds like a great choice for the 7 deadly sin topic. I think I'm going to add it to my TBR.

message 3: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments Katie wrote: "Dark Money sounds like a great choice for the 7 deadly sin topic. I think I'm going to add it to my TBR."

I may read that one a few weeks early to coincide with the election. It seems appropriate.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments I'm really trying to read in order and in the correct week, but with me relying on library availability and hold ties, it could get interesting. For this week, I actually bought a book the had been on my "to read" "not at the library" list for awhile (Aberystwyth Mon Amour), but it's not in yet so I went with the oldest available book which had ATY in it.

I read Lonely Hearts. It was terrible. Such a generic cop thriller, where everyone is shacking up with everyone else, and the rules are more like guidelines, and "I'm a tough guy but I still care deep down". Blah. Hopefully the rest of the year goes better.

message 5: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For prompt 3 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards: I put holds on Artemis, Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, and Sing, Unburied, Sing. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore is what came up.

I was not expecting it to be a thriller mystery type book. Based on the cover and title, I was expecting it to be much cozier. That said, the two sides to the story came together nicely. It was tied up without too many stretches in the story and was sufficiently creepy.

message 6: by Shelley (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For prompt 2, a book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list, I read Rule Zero, which I added on April 12, 2014. I actually went ahead and bought the kindle version for this, which is extremely rare for me, so that I would actually comply with the letter of the prompt. All in all, I am glad i read it mainly because the premise was so promising. It's a bout a psychic MI5-type character who has to hunt down an old experiment. Totally up my alley. Unfortunately it wasn't funny enough to be comical and it wasn't serious enough to be riveting. It sorta fell flat. Oh well. I've had high expectations for three years, and I'm happy to lay them to rest.

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For prompt 4, an Earth book, I read A Wizard of Earthsea, which turned out to be much heavier on the sea part than the earth part. It ok, but the writing was a bit too old school fantasy for me.

I'm officially on the hold list for Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, but we'll see if I get it at a time that's good for the Fire part of this prompt!

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For prompt 5, a book about real events, I read Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. Apparently people can be really fast readers when they want to be and I got off the hold list really quickly. The book had very few "plot points" that were surprising. No new great information seemed to be revealed, although some of the words that were used in quotes were interesting. In some parts that he had heard two or three sides to the story he would say "in one version this person said" which I did appreciate. We'll see what the fall out ends up being.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I'm enjoying your updates. I'd hoped to read in order but, like you, I like to get my books at the library. I've even gone so far as to request the library to look into purchasing some of the books on my list that they don't currently have in the system. We'll see how that goes. Looks like you are moving through your prompts quickly! Keep up the good work!

message 10: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments Tammy wrote: "I'm enjoying your updates. I'd hoped to read in order but, like you, I like to get my books at the library. I've even gone so far as to request the library to look into purchasing some of the books..."

Yea, the library thing has made it rather difficult. I'm trying not to get too far ahead in this challenge so I'm focusing on some of my other challenges. I did get a notification that they purchased the book on South African corruption I recommended, so there is a chance that they'll get what you need.

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For a book originally written in a different language I read The Dead Lake. It's a modern fairy tale about environmental problems in Kazakhstan. It was an interesting view of the combination of old traditions, modern changes, and the influences of foreign powers (the USSR) on these small communities. I got pretty confused by all of the names, but on the whole it was an enjoyable quick read.

message 12: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments For the own voices book I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. It was great insight into the everyday lives of Pakistanis, which is a country that Americans only generally hear the worst of, so that was refreshing.

One of the most fascinating things about Malala that I Iearned from the book was that her being shot was not the beginning of her being famous for activism. I knew that she had been singled out for going to school but I had pictured it more as her being vocal in her village for her own education. Turns out she had an anonymous blog on BBC and she regularly did interviews on Pakistani TV. It seemed much more like a Rosa Parks scenario where Malala know damn well that she was sticking her neck out and she was willing to face any and all consequences. My admiration for her intensified immensely, which I did not think was possible.

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments I finally finished February's books. For the gothic novel I read The Woman in White. There are bunch of different narrators and some i much preferred over others. Mostly (like most 19th century novels) my main complaint was that it was about 200 pages longer than necessary. Oh well. It did have a creepy portion which made it a successful Gothic story for me.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2158 comments I read The Woman in White also for a gothic novel and I agree--200 pages too long. I liked all the details most of the time but then the narrators started going over the same territory again. I guess that was the point, but I got tired of it. Good book though.

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments Kathy wrote: "I read The Woman in White also for a gothic novel and I agree--200 pages too long. I liked all the details most of the time but then the narrators started going over the same territory again. I gue..."

It's one of the most frustrating things with Victorian novels, Dickens being the worst offender. Because they were periodicals, some chapters are drawn out when the author couldn't figure out the plot and needed to get something published and other chapters have way to much in it because they are running up on a deadline. They desperately needed a discerning eye after the fact to help with flow.

I'm glad others can commiserate!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2158 comments That's a good point, Shelley, about these originally being serializations.

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments Finished two awesome books today for this challenge. The first was a book you expected to make you laugh which I read Discworld's Feet of Clay. I'm really loving the City Watch series and definitely see why people proclaim how good the later books get. He really gets into his groove of humorously applying satire and allegory to his universe.

The other one was for a narrative nonfiction: The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom. A group of seven escape a prisoner's camp in northern Siberia and attempt to escape to India. On foot. It was definitely a serious, sobering counterpoint to my earlier humorous book. It was a great story that was very well written. I'd recommend it for this challenge or the surviving a hardship one.

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments With Aprils books I read two books that kicked off new serials which I'd like to continue: An Ember in the Ashes for my fire book and First Grave on the Right for a location book (I loved how on the nose it is). Both are very cliche-ish for their genre but had enough promise and were enjoyable enough for me to want to continue.

I finished off the April books with an unusual format The Tough Guide to Fantasyland. It's basically an encyclopedia for the fantasy genre. While there were some great entries, it did drag on a bit between these gems. If ever found read the horses entry!

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments It took me longer than expected to finish June's book, but I got it done in time. For the legal thrilled I went with Whose Body?, a 1920s detective book. It was dry, slow, and fast moving, which is a very confusing mixture. Not a big fan. I also did not enjoy The Princess Saves Herself in this One. IT was too much of a literal rant. just pages of whining, which I understand that she had a rough life, but there just seemed to be no effort put into making it relateable to the reader.

The two books that i enjoyed were Red Rising and Six of Crows. I definitely get now why these two books come up again and again as recommendations. They will be added to my list of books to recommend as well.

message 20: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments Although I haven't been updating this sheet, I have been following my plan in order this year. However, the rest of the year is going to be a bit nuts and I'm not sure if I'm going to have tons of time for reading or absolutely none, so I'm plowing through the rest of the list. I have 8 more left to fill, although one is War and Peace, so I should be fine. Onwards and upwards!

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments I'm down to one prompt which is on hold at the library:Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology. I've been waiting for it for 4 weeks and it's so frustrating to be so close yet not be able to do anything about it!

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments I finally finished! Wooo!

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2490 comments Congrats! And now you have time to read whatever you like!