All About YA discussion

Challenges-Yearly > 2018 Master of Reading Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Jan 16, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Hello everyone! We have a new 2018 challenge for you! This is called the Master of Reading Challenge, and it's all about trying to get into a genre you are unfamiliar with or reading more of a genre you already love. It will work in levels, with each level representing a number of books read, which means you can level up throughout the year as you read more books. The levels are...
LEVEL 1Rookie - 1 book

LEVEL 2Apprentice - 3 books

LEVEL 3Explorer - 5 books

LEVEL 4Whiz - 10 books

LEVEL 5Ace - 12 books

LEVEL 6Pro - 15 books

LEVEL 7Master - 20 books

BONUS LEVELSuperhero - 21+ books

The levels are compound - so Level 2 for example is not 3 books in ADDITION to the 1 you read for Level 1, but 3 books OVERALL. Here's a sample for you to make it a bit clearer:

Original comment: I want to become a Pro of Young Adult Fiction.

2nd comment: Completed Level 1 - A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray

Current status: ☘ Rookie

3rd comment: Completed Level 2 - A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters

Current status: ☾ Apprentice

...and so on.

This challenge can be applied to not only genres but authors, story types (e.g. short stories, novellas) formats (e.g. audiobooks, ebooks) or any aspect of reading you want to master! You can also choose what level you aim to reach - you don't have to shoot for 20 books. However you wish to interpret the challenge is fine - this is us for fun and it's just for you and your reading! Feel free to take part as many times as you like (for different genres/formats/whatever), and make sure to edit your comment each time you level up. We'd love to see how you get on!

Allrightey, hopefully that isn't too much information to force on you all at once. If you're confused about any aspect of the challenge just drop a comment below and I'll happily answer it for you. Have fun and (should you choose to accept it) best of luck in your quest everyone!

message 2: by C.J. (last edited Dec 31, 2018 07:54PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments All About YA - Master of Reading Challenge
For 2018, I'd like to make a concerted effort to explore books with a steampunk setting. I'm not sure I can attain mastery, but I'll keep track of my progress here!

Level 1: ☘ Rookie - 1 book
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason

Level 2: ☾ Apprentice - 3 books
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

Level 3: ☸ Explorer - 5 books
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3) by Colleen Gleason The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1) by C.J. Archer

Level 4: ➳ Whiz - 10 books
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3) by Colleen Gleason The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1) by C.J. Archer Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4) by Colleen Gleason Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Freaks by Kieran Larwood

Level 5: ⚓ Ace - 12 books
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3) by Colleen Gleason The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1) by C.J. Archer Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4) by Colleen Gleason Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Freaks by Kieran Larwood Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1) by A.J. Hartley Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger

Level 6: ⚡ Pro - 15 books
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2) by Colleen Gleason Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3) by Colleen Gleason The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1) by C.J. Archer Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4) by Colleen Gleason Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Freaks by Kieran Larwood Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1) by A.J. Hartley Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Ticker by Lisa Mantchev Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1) by Phil Foglio

2018 - FINISHED WITH 14 BOOKS, Level = ACE

NEXT LEVELS

Level 7: ♕ Master - 20 books

message 3: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Already that looks awesome, C.J! I've always been kind of mystified by steampunk but would like to maybe try one out one day. I'll be keeping a close eye on which books you pick for the challenge! Best of luck.

message 4: by Daisy (last edited Jan 03, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I have been saying for years now that I want to get into science fiction. While I've read a couple of sci-fi books here and there (and enjoyed them for the most part) I'd really like to make a big, conscious effort this year so that I can say for definite that I'm a fan of the genre. I'm going to aim to become a Sci-Fi Whiz (10 books) but any more than that would be great.

I'm also going to aim to become an Ace of Audiobooks (my crazy geek brain is freaking out over this sick alliteration, haha!). At the beginning of last year I kept up the habit of reading one audiobook per month. Then I just kind of let that drop but I'd love to bring it back. It was a fun and easy way to slip another book into my total for each month, whilst also of course getting my to-read pile down just that little bit more. I've had some amazing experiences with audiobooks in the past, so yeah, looking forward to seeing what my 2018 audiobooks will bring me! Let's do this thing!

message 5: by Sophie (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:49AM) (new)

Sophie | 139 comments This is such a cool idea! I love the different levels. I'm going to try and become a Young Adult Fantasy Explorer (5 books) and a Poetry Pro (15 books).

One of my reading goals for 2017 was to read 12 poetry collections and I read 3 so 15 is a widely optimistic goal. But like you Daisy I couldn't resist the alliteration, lol. This year I might read some books about poetry not just poetry collections because it all helps on my journey to becoming a poetry pro!

message 6: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I'm cheering you on Sophie! Reading books about poetry not just poetry itself is a great idea - I love that you're interpreting the challenge in your own way.

message 7: by Sana (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) | 39 comments LEVEL 1 ☘ Rookie - 1 book

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines 6/1/18

LEVEL 2 ☾ Apprentice - 3 books

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas 11/1/18 Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines 7/1/18

LEVEL 3 ☸ Explorer - 5 books

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines

Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman 23/1/18 Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy 18/1/18

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Focus (The Crescent Chronicles, #2) by Alyssa Rose Ivy 26/1/18 The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey 11/2/18 Refugee (The Captive, #3) by Erica Stevens 18/2/18 Salvation (The Captive, #4) by Erica Stevens 19/2/18 The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles, #5) by Kresley Cole 25/2/18

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy Focus (The Crescent Chronicles, #2) by Alyssa Rose Ivy The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey Refugee (The Captive, #3) by Erica Stevens Salvation (The Captive, #4) by Erica Stevens The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles, #5) by Kresley Cole

The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey 26/3/18 Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman 15/3/18

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy Focus (The Crescent Chronicles, #2) by Alyssa Rose Ivy The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey Refugee (The Captive, #3) by Erica Stevens Salvation (The Captive, #4) by Erica Stevens The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles, #5) by Kresley Cole The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke 11/4/18 The House by Christina Lauren 7/4/18 Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

LEVEL 7 ♕ Master - 20 book

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2) by Abbi Glines Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy Focus (The Crescent Chronicles, #2) by Alyssa Rose Ivy The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey Refugee (The Captive, #3) by Erica Stevens Salvation (The Captive, #4) by Erica Stevens The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles, #5) by Kresley Cole The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke The House by Christina Lauren Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2) by Lani Woodland 15/5/18 Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson 24/5/18 The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) by L.J. Smith 18/5/18 The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1) by Virginia Boecker 29/7/18 The King Slayer (The Witch Hunter, #2) by Virginia Boecker 2/8/18

BONUS LEVEL ✯ Superhero - 21+ books

Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1) by Mary E. Pearson 18/8/18 The Darkest Star (Origin, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 15/11/18 This Splintered Silence by Kayla Olson 15/12/18

message 8: by These Violent Delights (last edited Sep 21, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1221 comments Mod
I want to become a Superhero of Fantasy/ Science Fiction! Great Challenge Daisy!

Level 1: Rookie - 1 Book
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen

Level 2: Apprentice - 3 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer

Level 3: Explorer - 5 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson

Level 4: Whiz - 10 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Heart by Ebony Olson Unraveled (Crewel World, #3) by Gennifer Albin A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest Running with Alphas Winter (Seasons Book 1) by Viola Rivard Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer

Level 5: Ace - 12 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Heart by Ebony Olson A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest Unraveled (Crewel World, #3) by Gennifer Albin Running with Alphas Winter (Seasons Book 1) by Viola Rivard Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Level 6: Pro - 15 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Heart by Ebony Olson A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest Unraveled (Crewel World, #3) by Gennifer Albin Running with Alphas Winter (Seasons Book 1) by Viola Rivard Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1) by Lori Goldstein Feral Heat by Viola Rivard

Level 7: Master - 20 Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Heart by Ebony Olson A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest Unraveled (Crewel World, #3) by Gennifer Albin Running with Alphas Winter (Seasons Book 1) by Viola Rivard Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1) by Lori Goldstein Feral Heat by Viola Rivard Harper (Destined for the Alpha Book 1) by Viola Rivard Once Bitten A Dragon-Shifter Fantasy Romance by Viola Rivard Shan (Destined for the Alpha Book 2) by Viola Rivard Spring (Running With Alphas Seasons Book 2) by Viola Rivard Defenders, Vol. 1 Diamonds Are Forever by Brian Michael Bendis

Bonus Level: Superhero - 21+ (34)
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Black Mark's Resistance by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Secrets by Ebony Olson Black Mark's Heart by Ebony Olson A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest Unraveled (Crewel World, #3) by Gennifer Albin Running with Alphas Winter (Seasons Book 1) by Viola Rivard Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1) by Lori Goldstein Feral Heat by Viola Rivard Harper (Destined for the Alpha Book 1) by Viola Rivard Once Bitten A Dragon-Shifter Fantasy Romance by Viola Rivard Shan (Destined for the Alpha Book 2) by Viola Rivard Spring (Running With Alphas Seasons Book 2) by Viola Rivard Defenders, Vol. 1 Diamonds Are Forever by Brian Michael Bendis Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Zenith (The Androma Saga, #1) by Sasha Alsberg The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing Stroke The Flame (Her Elemental Dragons, #1) by Elizabeth Briggs Kiss The Sky (Her Elemental Dragons, #2) by Elizabeth Briggs Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1) by Elly Blake Kidnapped By Her Husbands (Wings of Artemis, #1) by Rebecca Royce Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Rescued by their Wife (Wings of Artemis, #2) by Rebecca Royce River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis Summer (Running With Alphas Seasons Book 3) by Viola Rivard The Lantern's Ember by Colleen Houck

message 9: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Wow, Sana, it's only eight days into the challenge and you're already killing it! What genre/type of book are you trying to Master?

Thanks so much Robin! I wasn't sure if anyone would go for the Superhero level. You can do it!

message 10: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) | 39 comments Daisy wrote: "Wow, Sana, it's only eight days into the challenge and you're already killing it! What genre/type of book are you trying to Master?"

YA Fantasy and Science Fiction. My favorite genres!

message 11: by Sophie (last edited Nov 19, 2018 11:17PM) (new)

Sophie | 139 comments YA Fantasy (goal: Explorer - 5 books)

Ash by Malinda Lo
Ash by Malinda Lo The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima
Ash by Malinda Lo The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore

Poetry (goal: Pro - 15 books)

Considering the Women by Choman Hardi
Considering the Women by Choman Hardi The Silvering by Maura Dooley Too Black, Too Strong by Benjamin Zephaniah
Considering the Women by Choman Hardi The Silvering by Maura Dooley Too Black, Too Strong by Benjamin Zephaniah The Forward Book of Poetry 2019 by Various Poets

message 12: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Killing it guys!! I'm so proud of how this discussion is looking. Sana, I think that's a great idea to add the dates of the books you've read. Very interesting. C.J, what are your thoughts on the Stoker and Holmes series? I'm wondering if it could be my big introduction to Steampunk. :D

I'm now thinking I'm going to participate in this challenge a THIRD time, haha, this time with non-fiction. I think I'll shoot for Whiz but I might be able to achieve Ace, we'll have to see.

message 13: by Daisy (last edited Jul 15, 2018 03:28AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Daisy's Quest to Become a...

~ Science Fiction Whiz ~
CURRENT STATUS: Apprentice

LEVEL 1Rookie - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

LEVEL 2Apprentice - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2) by Liu Cixin The Martian by Andy Weir

LEVEL 4Whiz - 10 books

~Audiobook Ace ~ CURRENT STATUS: Apprentice

LEVEL 1Rookie - The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2) by Liu Cixin

LEVEL 2Apprentice - The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2) by Liu Cixin The Gender Games The Problem with Men and Women, from Someone Who Has Been Both by Juno Dawson Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

LEVEL 4Whiz - 10 books

LEVEL 5Ace - 12 books

~ Non-Fiction Whiz ~ CURRENT STATUS: Apprentice

LEVEL 1Rookie - 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes by Dave MacLeod

LEVEL 2Apprentice - 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes by Dave MacLeod The Gender Games The Problem with Men and Women, from Someone Who Has Been Both by Juno Dawson Steal Like an Artist 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon

LEVEL 4Whiz - 10 books

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1221 comments Mod
I am absolutely loving this challenge! It's really getting me pumped up to complete each level :)

message 15: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I'm so glad, Robin! All you guys are doing amazing. I seem to be lagging behind... little ironic since I was the one who created this challenge! But you've given me new motivation to do better - thanks! :D

message 16: by Daisy (last edited Jul 15, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
We are past the halfway point everyone! I'm so proud of you guys - every time I come onto this discussion I am blown away by how well everyone's doing. Even I am not doing aaaaas bad as I was... I am now an apprentice in all of my challenges! That's something, haha. Keep up the good work everyone!

message 17: by Sophie (last edited Sep 20, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

Sophie | 139 comments Oops I totally forgot about this challenge. I've ordered a couple of poetry books from the library to get moving again, yay.

As for YA fantasy I want to read Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1) by Audrey Coulthurst by Audrey Coulthurst but I can't get hold of it at the moment. I may get to the audiobook of Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore by Anna-Marie McLemore after I've finished what I'm currently listening to.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 139 comments Wild Beauty was soooo good! I loved it. It's magical realism which is a sub-genre of young adult fantasy I've avoided in the past. This challenge gave me the push I needed to try something a bit different. So yay for that!

I'm really not in the mood for poetry at the moment so don't think I'm going to get much further with that challenge. Currently on 3 of my original goal of 15. So good job me, haha. I did start the collections I got from the library but yeh like I said not in the mood.

How are you all doing?

message 19: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
All you trackers are looking beeeeauuuutiful, guys. My reading has completely fallen to the wayside in the second half of this year; for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I'm intensely analysing loads of books for my English Lit A Level, and my reading brain is pretty much permanently worn out. The exam isn't until next June but I'd still like to increase my reading a bit in the remainder of 2018. Just to make myself accountable, here's some of the books I'd like to get to before the year's out:

Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird, #2) by Claudia Gray Small Island by Andrea Levy The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton How to Read Literature by Terry Eagleton Henry IV, Part 2 (Wars of the Roses, #3) by William Shakespeare First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3) by Robin Stevens The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown Be Your Own #Goals by Kristen Martin

I'd also love to read an Agatha Christie book and another self-development book - hopefully I can fit those in also.

I haven't updated my tracker yet but I've realised I'm actually at four books for each of my challenges, so I only need to read one more to get to being an explorer in each of them. That's my new goal, and if I manage to read the books above I should get a little further than that. Let's do this, people!

message 20: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) | 39 comments Update message #7

I managed to read 23 books.
Thank you Daisy for such a fun challenge. Really enjoyed doing it :))

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Fabulous work, Sana! You are officially a Superhero of Reading! You should be really proud of yourself. You're very welcome and thanks for participating - it's been great seeing your progress. :D

message 22: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 31 comments Daisy wrote: "Hello everyone! We have a new 2018 challenge for you! This is called the Master of Reading Challenge, and it's all about trying to get into a genre you are unfamiliar with..."

This was a fun challenge. I read more steampunk this year than I might have otherwise. I've already been contemplating what genre I might tackle for 2019. I hope you'll be doing the challenge again!

Thank you,

CJ

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 139 comments Yes this was great fun! I don't know that I would've read any YA fantasy in 2018 if not for this challenge and I definitely re-discovered it. I'd love to challenge myself to different genres this year - and hopefully do much better. :)

message 24: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Thanks so much for the feedback you guys, so happy everyone seemed to enjoy this challenge. Sorry it's so late, but I've set it up for 2019 now: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...