2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Huhn's 40 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Huhn (last edited Dec 27, 2018 04:32AM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments I'm aiming for 40 books this year!

2016 and 2017 I used the popsugar challenge as a guideline. This year I don't like the categories so I'm still looking for another challenge to keep me in a reading mood. Maybe the A-Z challenge, I'm still pondering that. Will update my post when I decided what to choose. :)

The last times I did not reach my goal of 40 books. But eventually, that's not important, as my actual goal is just to read more. And that, for sure, worked out. I read more and got to know the lovely local library. Also, I wrote a short review about each book I read, which was also a lot of fun to do. This was the real price for me and I'm going to continue that in 2018. So - the lucky 40 books it is again! Whee!

*storms forward to raid the library*

Update 1:
I signed up for the "Clear the shelves" challenge with five books. Need to read at least some of the half-read books before stacking any more books on my pile.

Books read
23/40

1. Der Gejagte by Wolfgang Hohlbein (Clear the shelves 1/5)
2. Die Magie der Namen by Nicole Gozdek
3. Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling
4. Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling
5. Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling
6. Die Verfluchten by Wolfgang Hohlbein
7. Der Pfau by Isabel Bogdan
8. Wolfsjagd by Jim Butcher
9. Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling
10. The White Road by Lynn Flewelling
11. Geisel by Guy Delisle
12. Hölle und Highway by Derek Landy
13. Die Magie der Lüge by Nicole Gozdek
14. emmaboy tomgirl by Blake Nelson
15. Eine Freundin zum Anbeißen by Franziska Gehm
16. Kleiner Werwolf by Cornelia Funke
17. Ottoline und die gelbe Katze by Chris Riddell
18. Ottoline und das Schulgespenst by Chris Riddell
19. Baltische Erinnerungen. Estland, Lettland, Litauen zwischen Unterdrückung und Freiheit by Bernd Nielsen-Stokkeby
20. Grabesruh by Jim Butcher
21. Fürchtet euch nicht by Susan Ee
22. Tage der Dunkelheit by Susan Ee
23. End of Days by Susan Ee

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Huhn wrote: "So - the lucky 40 books it is again! Whee!

*storms forward to raid the library* ..."

Lol, no lack of enthusiasm there! Wishing you the best of luck Huhn but above all I wish you a very happy reading year! May you find some gems along the way!

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Good Luck with your goal in 2018!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 55 comments Good luck with your goal!

message 5: by Huhn (last edited Jan 04, 2018 02:17PM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Thank you all!

I started with the book I began to read in december last year: Der Gejagte by Wolfgang Hohlbein. :)

For me the most exciting book of the series so far. Especially the climax at the end is built up really nice. I'm already looking forward to the next book of the series (which I can only read, if I finish at least 4 other books for the "Clean the shelves" challenge... this is some motivation!)

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Huhn wrote: "Thank you all!

I started with the book I began to read in december last year: Der Gejagte by Wolfgang Hohlbein. :)

For me the most exciting book of the series so far. Especially the climax at the end is built up really nice. I'm already looking forward to the next book of the series (which I can only read, if I finish at least 4 other books for the "Clean the shelves" challenge... this is some motivation!)"

Lol, motivation indeed! Good luck!

message 8: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Two months down ten to go! I hope March is a success for you.

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 10: by Huhn (last edited Apr 24, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments *cough* I'm not a strong Huhn... as a matter of fact I started to continue with one of my "Clear the shelves"-books... but then this next book of this series just jumped in and really NEEDED to be read... I was helpless! So... well... I just finished Die Verfluchten by Wolfgang Hohlbein. :D

Not the best book of the series, actually. Abu Dun and his friend Andrej don't seem to learn anything from their previous adventures, which can be quite annoying. But the climax was nice and i'm looking forward to the next book. Which, of course, I will ONLY read, if I have finished one of my other books first. Seriously. I need to fight down my SUB.

(Also I just noticed, that I forgot to add the list of books I listend to as audiobooks while I was sick in february. Will add them to the starting post.)

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! You are doing great keep it up!

message 12: by Huhn (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Thank you! I actually made an unexpected friend: Der Pfau by Isabel Bogdan.

I got the book as a birthday present by colleagues at work. Would have never bought it myself - simply not my genre - but it turned out really nice and I laughed a lot. Only the ending of the book was a bit unsatisfying but nevertheless I would recommend it to my friends. Especially for some light reading during holidays this should be great. :)

message 13: by Huhn (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Aaand another book read: Wolfsjagd by Jim Butcher.

I didn't like it as much as the first - but still the main character remains somehow fascinating and I'm excited to read the next book in the series. :)

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Happy reading in July I am so glad you made a friend I love finding new authors.

message 15: by Huhn (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Somehow I always forget to keep my thread here updated. :(

Have read a few more books but actually it seems more and more unlikely that I will reach my goal of 40 books. But I keep on reading!

I have continued the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling (in english, because reading english should do my language skills some good). I'm not shure, whether I really liked Shadows Return. It was a bit too dark and gritty for my taste. But I really enjoyed the next book in the series (The White Road).
Both books bring in some new characters and a lot of complications for Seregil and Alec. I'm excited to read the next one, already waiting for me on the shelf!

Today I read a graphic novel: Geisel by Guy Delisle. Christophe André, who worked for an NGO, was kidnapped in 1997 and held captive for over 100 days in some dark, empty room. It was really impressive to read, how he kept himself up during these days and how he coped with the situation. I am now asking myself, what I would have done in such a situation.

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Huhn wrote: "Somehow I always forget to keep my thread here updated. :(

Have read a few more books but actually it seems more and more unlikely that I will reach my goal of 40 books. But I keep on reading! ..."

That's the spirit Huhn! Important thing is that you enjoy your reads :)

message 17: by Huhn (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Yeah I try to enjoy, but sometimes it just does not happen. D:

Read Hölle und Highway by Derek Landy. And I really, really disliked it. I wrote a lengthy review in german and am now to lazy to translate it fully but I will try and repeat parts of it in english.

Essentially I disliked the stupid characters, especially Glen, who kept on babbling until I just skipped his monologues. Amber, who is the main character, seems to me like a whining teenager ("Booohoooo my parents want to kill me and worst of all - I am ugly and there is no hamburger in our getaway car!"). I guess I was supposed to feel somewhat sorry for her, being neglected by her parents all her life. But she just doesn't feel like a neglected child rather than a braindead and self-centred idiot.

I have no idea, why this book has such good ratings here at Goodreads. It was plain boring to read. The characters sucked. The story was a patchwork of plotholes. Shame on Derek Landy, who we all know can do better than this!

message 18: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?

message 19: by Huhn (last edited Oct 31, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Woohooo! Read a few more books. :)

Die Magie der Lüge by Nicole Gozdek. I liked it predecessor waaay more. This one was horrible to read and I hated the main protagonist for so many reasons.

emmaboy tomgirl by Blake Nelson. Ok this one was obviously aimed at schoolchildren but nevertheless I didn't like it. Too many stereotypes.

Eine Freundin zum Anbeißen by Franziska Gehm. This one was cute. Cute vampire sisters with a cute vampire father and an evenly cute human mother. And a lot of toilet seats. :D

Kleiner Werwolf by Cornelia Funke. I'm a huge fan of Cornelia Funke, so I had to read this. :D Of course I liked it, but it could have been a bit longer.

Ottoline und die gelbe Katze by Chris Riddell. I was really excited about this one! A great and witty female protagonist and amazing illustrations.

Ottoline und das Schulgespenst by Chris Riddell. Illustrations just a nice as in the first installement of the series. Story a bit more predictable but still fun to read.

Baltische Erinnerungen. Estland, Lettland, Litauen zwischen Unterdrückung und Freiheit by Bernd Nielsen-Stokkeby. A mixture of autobiography and political history by a former journalist who was there, when the Baltic states became independent from the USSR. Not really my cup of tea for various reasons (first of all that I usually don't like to read non-fiction books in my spare time). But still really interesting - especially the parts, where the author tells about his own experiences.

message 20: by Huhn (last edited Dec 27, 2018 04:28AM) (new)

Huhn | 47 comments Ok, again I won't reach the lucky 40. But hey - as it is now, I will have read more books this year than 2017. And that's what I call a victory!

Since my last post I have read:
Grabesruh by Jim Butcher. The third installement of the series about Harry Dresden, the magician and detective. This time, some ghosts are going wild and attacking Harry and his friends. He gets the impression, that someone set them up against him. But who would (or even could!) do something like that?

Fürchtet euch nicht, Tage der Dunkelheit and End of Days by Susan Ee. Penryns sister Paige gets kidnapped by angels and Penryns only chance to get her back is by kidnapping an injured angel so that he would lead her to the angels nest. During the long journey Penryn and Raffe, the angel, get to know each other better and even fall in love, which is absolutely impossible by angelic law. Can love overcome all obsticles? The Angelfall trilogy was fun to read. I like those supernatural romance stories and this series made no exception. Penryn is a tough character. One of my favorite scenes was her beating some soldier to the ground. ^___^ It also was kind of complicated to get all the books... I listened to the first one as an audiobook only to discover, that the library had the second one only as e-book and the third one was missing completely. That's why I read the third one in english (was cheaper than the german version). o.O

message 21: by Huhn (new)

Huhn | 47 comments The chances that I finish more books until tomorrow are very low, so I'll just sum my challlenge up at this point:

I read 23 books, which is not quite the 40 I aimed for, but it is 2 more books than the year before! That's a win in my book! :D (Also taking into consideration that I started with 12 books in 2016!)

I think the idea not to take a specific challenge and just read what I want to read worked out fine. Unfortunately it meant that I messed up at the "Clean the shelves" challenge horribly. But hey - maybe there is a reason why those particular books lay on my to-be-read pile for so long.

So all in all this years challenge was a huge success for me and I'm looking forward for the 2019 challenge!