2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Alices 30+ book reading challenge in 2018 + reviews

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (last edited Aug 16, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments i try to read at least 30 books in 2018 and I hope I can do it :) !

1. The Circle by Dave Eggers
2. Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1) by Peter Ransley
3. Kill All Enemies by Melvin Burgess
4. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins
5. The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
6. The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
7. The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson
8. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
9. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
10. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare
11. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare
12. It by Stephen King
13. The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani ]
14. A World Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil, #2) by Soman Chainani
complete: 13/30

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Alice wrote: "i try to read at least 30 books in 2018 and I hope I can do it :) !"

I’m sure you can Alice! Are you joining any of the challenges or maybe some group/buddy reads to help you reach your goal?
Wishing you the best of luck & happy reading!

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Good Luck with your goal in 2018!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 55 comments Good luck with your goal!

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments The Circle by Dave Eggers
How do I start?
Well... its better then the movie.
But nothing really happend! I think this book is more for People who like to think after they finished reading.

writing style: 3/5
characters: 2/5
action: 2/5
ending: 3/5

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Alice wrote: "The Circle by Dave Eggers
How do I start?
Well... its better then the movie.
But nothing really happend! I think this book is more for People who like to think after they finished reading.
..."

Mmm, not for me then.... :(

message 7: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 1 comments Good luck with your goal Alice. Thirty books is my goal for the year as well. I have already finished one book.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Kill All Enemies by Melvin Burgess

I picked up this book because I tought it would be interesting and it sure was!
Every character is important and unique. The writing style is very good and I would recommend it to everyone who likes dark Storys and emotions!

writing style: 5/5
characters: 5/5
action: 4.5/5
ending: 4/5

message 9: by Alice (last edited Jan 27, 2018 12:19PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1) by Peter Ransley

My mom gave me this book because she wanted me to read hystorical Storys too and i have to say, I hate hystorcial and crime books! BUT this book is so awsome I love this book and I love Tom!
The Ending is the only reason I gave this 4 stars

writing style: 4/5
characters: 4/5
Action: 5/5
ending: 2/5

Here is why I hate this ending: (view spoiler)

message 10: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine1970) | 96 comments Good luck and have fun with your reading goal

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

I love this book series and I love this book! I liked that it was fast but not too fast and I really loved the Story Progress. I still dont like Peeter and I hoped I would like him in this book more...

characters: 4/5
Action: 5/5
ending: 5/5

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Fantastic Progress Alice! Everyone has such different opinions on The Circle I will have to give it a read this year!

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★

Oh Boy, my first ever full english book and first Brandon Sanderson book. It was so good! Recomend it to anyone who likes Fantasy and characters that you just have to love!

charaters: 5/5
action: 5/5
ending 5/5 (This ending and the plot twist!)

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) On my TBR 😄

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a great month for you.

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★
Again Brandon Sanderson leavs me to shock with his awsome endings! This book was more on the politic Fantasy side which I dont like but it was so well writen that it was fun! (And I love Elend!)

action: 4.5/5
ending: 5/5 (Again the plot twist!)

message 17: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★

The ending.... Im not a person who cries about books or movies so when I read the ending I was so in shock (and still am) that I cant begin to start Clockwork Angel. I loved the book so much and evrything made so much sense! But the ending... (Still love Elend and Spook!)

message 18: by Alice (last edited Mar 17, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare ★★★★

I really thought I would hate Cassandre Clares books because when I read the back of the book its sounds so cliche but then I read it and it was so good! Really fun read with a lot of feels. I just gave it 4 stars because I dont like Tessa Gray because she is so whiny. ( I hope Tessa and Jem come together :D )

characters: 4.5/5
Action: 4.5/5

message 19: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Kristin wrote: "Looks like you've read some great books this year! I'm happy for you!! Congratulations on your progress as well. Wishing you many more great reads!

Do you have any favorites from this year?"

So far I really enjoyed The Final Empire and would recomend to anyone who loves fantasy but the year is still young so I hope I will find more books I will enjoy!

message 20: by Alice (last edited Mar 23, 2018 04:02PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins ★★★★★

A lot of People say that it was too fast and they wished it was longer but i thought it was awsome the way it is! A great ending, a lot of Action and a lot of deaths... I read the german edition which was about 100 pages longer so maybe it was not to fast in german then it was in english?

characters: 5/5 (I enjoyed Peeter so much more in this book)

message 21: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Greasy books that is fantastic LOL

message 22: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 23: by Alice (last edited Apr 20, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare ★★★★ (4.5 Stars)

Let me say that I dont hate Tessa anymore. Cassandra Clare really fixed her character... in the second half of the book. In the second half of the book she notices how annoying she is and actually shuts her mouth (I also really liked Will in this book). I really enjoyed this book but i coudnt give it 5 stars because of the first half of the book.

writing style : 5/5
characters: 4/5 (first half) 5/5 (second half)
ending: 4.5/5

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! You are doing great keep it up!

message 25: by Alice (last edited May 09, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare ★★★★★

I knew this was a 5 stars because since the first page a lot was happening. Everyone was great and I loved all of them especially Will and Tessa and the Lightwood brothers! The ending was as amazing as the series and I would recomend this series for anyone who loves a little more romance then fantasy!

action: 4.75/5

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!

message 27: by Alice (last edited Jul 28, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments It by Stephen King ★★★★

So this took me long enough... Anyway, this book for me was quite disappointing. I loved the characters like everyone else already said but my biggest problem is that it told sometimes these big side storeys that are not imported to the story and are only mentioned once. And again it should be full of nostalgia but I am not born in the 50thes or in the US so a lot of things were confusing for me. The only reason that this got 4 stars for me was because of the ending and the characters.

writing style: 3.75/5
action: 4/5
ending: 5/5 (i cried and was amazed at the same time)

What I wanted to add is that I'm not really scared of Stephen King's books but more interested by them. I'm more scared by disgusting stuff like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream . So if your reading my reviews for books like Stephen King please don't expect that I mention the scariness

message 28: by Alice (new)

Alice Darkwood | 43 comments The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani ★★★★★

Since I was small I always enjoyed fairy tails and this book was kinda nostalgic for me. I really liked this book in every espect. The writing was beautiful and the characters were so real. I have to say for a middle-grade book it is very gory and dark. All in all, I recommend it to everyone who enjoys fairy tails :)

writing style:5/5
ending: 4.5/5

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?