dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Jane Austen
Pages:279 p.
Date read: 22/12/2017
Rating: 5 stars

I don’t know why I never read it before, but one of the reasons was my fear it was a boring romance. This book is nothing like that. What I most enjoyed was the humour in the novel, the subtilities in the psychological description and the clear language. It is by all means one of the most wonderful books I read and I recommend it to everyone.

message 2: by Claire (last edited Dec 27, 2017 01:28AM) (new)

Claire A Room of One's Own
A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
Virginia Woolf
Pages: 132 p.
Date read: 26/12/2017
Rating : 5 stars

It is with sadness I read this excellent book. Virginia Woolfe’s novel did not lose any of the power it once must have had, little has changed since then.
In this book she explains why women are so seldom found among the big writers.. ‘ one needs a room of one’s own and 500 pound a year’ As of today way to few women have the same opportunities as men do. What strikes me even more in this book was the plea to think equal, not to divide into male/female thoughts, but to let both sides in, in thinking and in writing. The world would be a much better place if we followed her excellent advice.
It might have been rightly laveled a feminist book, to me it is an essential book for people who believe in the ideals of equality.
Furthermore, while the emphasis might be here on the male/female division, it is also an eloquent plea to write better and to be less self righteous.
A must-read!

message 3: by Claire (last edited Jan 26, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

message 4: by Claire (last edited Jan 26, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Claire 2.Their Eyes Were Watching God Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Zora Neale Hurston Pages: 256 p. Date read:13/1/2018 Rating:5 stars

What an incredibly beautiful book! There is no way to describe the love, understanding and compassion showing through every page.
The story of Janie’s life is that of a black woman seen entirely through a black woman’s eyes. Her voice is articulate, her life has quite a few bumps, but from every page the vibrancy, the struggle to be who she is speaks from the pages. Really worth the read.

message 5: by Claire (last edited Jan 26, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Claire 3.The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Emmuska Orczy
Pages:204 p.
Date read:19/1/2018
Rating: 4 stars

message 6: by Claire (last edited Jan 26, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Claire 4.Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen read:22/12/2018

message 8: by Claire (last edited Feb 04, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Claire 6.Jane Eyre Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Charlotte Brontë
Read:29/1/2018

Jane Eyre...a mythical literary figure. The book is great, the writing style is excellent and the story entertaining.
I enjoyed the read, but I got sometimes so annoyed by the character of Jane Eyre. I felt like watching a movie with an idiot character where you’d like to scream at.
So much drama, so much whining!
At the same time I realize that given the time she is a very modern and brave heroine.
I guess the book is too romantic to my taste. As muched as I loved Elizabeth Bennet, i found Jane to be quite the opposite in some things.
A book with mixed feelings, but still a great read.

message 9: by Claire (last edited Feb 04, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Claire 7. Silas Marner by George Eliot George Eliot
Pages:240 p.
Date read: 4/2/2018

Quite an interesting book. I really admire George Elliot. Living 2 centuries ago, she still feels remarkably modern. I particularly enjoyed the humour, the underlying criticism on religion, the class differences, the hypocrisy of certain groups. At the same time there is also a clear endearment towards almost every characters.
The most beautiful part was the growing up of Eppie. The way the old Silas falls in love with this child is written with so much warmth!

message 10: by Claire (last edited Feb 04, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Claire 8. Double Indemnity by James M. Cain James M. Cain
Pages: 128 p. Date read:4/2/2018 Rating:4 stars

message 11: by Claire (last edited Feb 04, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Claire 9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Harper Lee
Pages:385 p. Date red:2/1/2018 Rating: 5 stars