Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Level 3 (Super Sleuth) > Tonya's Challenge-Level 3 B Option

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonya (last edited Dec 25, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Came up short on level 2 for last year, going to kick it up a level and challenge myself this year!! Wish me luck!

21/30 completed

- Two from culinary (anything dealing with food: restaurants, baked goods, etc.)
*A ROOM WITH A BREW by Joyce Tremel-finished 01/05/18
*STOWED AWAY by Barbara Ross-finished 01/22/18
- Two from animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.)
*CATNAPPED by Elaine Viets-finished 07/10/18
*SCONE COLD KILLER by Lena Gregory-finished 11/12/18
- Two from craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.)
- Two from paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.)
*CRIME AND POETRY by Amanda Flower-finished 09/02/18
- Two from cozy mysteries based outside the US (example: Belinda Lawrence series (British))
- Two career-based cozy mystery (housekeeping, wedding planner, etc.)
*BLOOM AND DOOM BY BEVERLY ALLEN-finished 06/30
*DEATH CRASHES THE PARTY BY VICKIE FEE-finished 10/08
- Two holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.)
*WE WISH YOU A MURDEROUS CHRISTMAS by Vicki Delany-finished 07/21/18
*CURRIED AWAY (THANSKGIVING) by Ruth Oust-finished 12/25/18
- Two travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.)
*BOOKED 4 MURDER by J.C. Eaton-finished 07/30/18
- Two historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present)
*THE DARLING DAHLIAS AND THE CUCUMBER TREE by Susan Witting Albert-finished 11/26/18
- Two are your choice! (freebies!)
*PEACHES AND SCREAM by Susan Furlong-finished 04/21/18
*DEAD WRONG by Leighann Dobbs-finished 04/2/18

1) Dial M for Mousse by Laura Bradford-finished 02/04/18
2) Death is Like a Box of Chocolates by Kathy Aarons-finished 02/25/18
3) Flipped for Murder by Maddie Day-finished 03/11/18
4) Survival of the Fritters by Ginger Bolton-finished 4/8/18
5) Honey-Baked Homicide by Gayle Leeson-finished 7/2/18
6) Mayhem at the Orient Express by Kylie Logan-finished 10/21/18
7) Tale of Two Biddies by Kylie Logan-finished 11/4/18
8) Book, Line and Sinker by Jenn McKinney-finished 12/09/18
9)
10)

A Room With a Brew (Brewing Trouble, #3) by Joyce Tremel Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6) by Barbara Ross Dial M for Mousse (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #3) by Laura Bradford Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1) by Kathy Aarons Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #1) by Maddie Day Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1) by Ginger Bolton Peaches and Scream (Georgia Peach Mystery, #1) by Susan Furlong Dead Wrong (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen Honey-Baked Homicide (Down South Café Mystery #3) by Gayle Leeson Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13) by Elaine Viets We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2) by Vicki Delany Booked 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball Mystery, #1) by J.C. Eaton Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda Flower Death Crashes the Party (Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #1) by Vickie Fee Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1) by Kylie Logan A Tale of Two Biddies (League of Literary Ladies #2) by Kylie Logan Scone Cold Killer (All-Day Breakfast Café Mystery #1) by Lena Gregory The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1) by Susan Wittig Albert Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3) by Jenn McKinlay Curried Away (Spice Shop Mystery #4) by Gail Oust

message 2: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Welcome back. Good luck. Look forward to seeing what you read.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Good luck Happy New Year for 2018

message 4: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Finished A Room With a Brew (Brewing Trouble, #3) by Joyce Tremel . This is the 3rd book in the series and yet to disappoint. I was able to figure out the why, but not the who did it until it was revealed.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 553 comments You're off to a good start--have fun with your challenge!

message 6: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Read Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6) by Barbara Ross . Loved this series from the beginning. Another great read. Had no clue whodunit until it was revealed.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Tonya wrote: "Read Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6) by Barbara Ross. Loved this series from the beginning. Another great read. Had no clue whodunit until it was revealed."

I’m glad I have musseled out looking forward to reading it.

message 8: by Nell (new)

Nell Tonya wrote: "Read Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6) by Barbara Ross. Loved this series from the beginning. Another great read. Had no clue whodunit until it was revealed."

This was my first cozy read of the year. I didn't figure out whodunit either even though the clues were all there. This series has good character development and a very good mystery. It's become one of my favorites.

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Tonya wrote: "Finished A Room With a Brew (Brewing Trouble, #3) by Joyce Tremel. This is the 3rd book in the series and yet to disappoint. I was able to figure out the why, but not the who did it until it was revealed."

I want to read this series. Glad to hear it is good.

message 10: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments At this rate all of my 'extra' books are going to be culinary cozies! Finished Dial M for Mousse (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #3) by Laura Bradford . Another great book in this series. I just love the relationship between Winnie and her neighbors. Had an idea of who did it, but the why was a surprise.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 313 comments Tonya wrote: "At this rate all of my 'extra' books are going to be culinary cozies! Finished Dial M for Mousse (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #3) by Laura Bradford. Another great book in this series. I just love the relationship between Winnie..."

Sounds great. I'll look into this one. Thanks. :)

message 12: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1) by Kathy Aarons
First in this series. Loved the characters and loved the book. Figured out the who towards the end, but was kind of wrong on the 'why' until it was revealed. Can't wait to read the next one.

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Tonya wrote: "Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1) by Kathy Aarons
First in this series. Loved the characters and loved the book. Figured out the who towards the end, but was kind of wrong on the 'why' until i..."

Good to hear. Hope to read this one soon.

message 14: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Finished Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries, #1) by Maddie Day this morning....LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!! A very likeable group of characters. My only complaint is the when the culprit was revealed and why it was kind of obvious, but absolutely can't wait to read the next one!!

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 313 comments Tonya wrote: "Finished Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries, #1) by Maddie Day this morning....LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!! A very likeable group of characters. My only complaint is the when the culprit was revealed and why ..."

Yay! This one is on my TBR list. :)

message 16: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Earlier this week finished Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1) by Ginger Bolton . This was a fun start to this series. Looking forward to the next one.

message 17: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Peaches and Scream (Georgia Peach Mystery, #1) by Susan Furlong Has been in my TBR pile for a couple of years. I can't believe I waited so long to read this book!! Great characters, good storyline. A little bit of a twist at the end. Can't wait to catch up with this series.

message 18: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Read Dead Wrong (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs . Quick, fun read. Guessed the killer half way...it was meh...but I will probably read another.

message 19: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments OMG..I am SO far behind on all of my challenges! I need to get off Facebook and get my nose back into some books!
Read Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen for a reading group. Never heard of the author or series, it was a really fun read and I did not guess who the murderer was. Looking forward to reading more in this series

message 20: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Finished Honey-Baked Homicide (Down South Café Mystery #3) by Gayle Leeson . I just love this series. I thought I knew who did it, but I was wrong..had no clue until it was revealed.

message 21: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Read Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13) by Elaine Viets . I really enjoy this series, had 2 murders going on at the same time, kept me intrigued. The main character was unusually annoying at times, with her refusal to follow common sense advice. Hopefully, this was a one off for this character.

message 22: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2) by Vicki Delany This is such a fun series! But I am biased because I absolutely love Christmas and the idea of a Christmas town excites me. These are such likable characters, and it was a good plot. Did not know who the culprit was until it was revealed. Can't wait to read the next one.

message 23: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Booked 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball Mystery, #1) by J.C. Eaton Read this for an online book club. Didn't finish in time for the discussion, but was still well worth the read. Likeable characters, funny dialogue...a little bit of a twisted outcome. I could figure out the what, but not the who or the why.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 553 comments Tonya wrote: "Booked 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball Mystery, #1) by J.C. Eaton Read this for an online book club. Didn't finish in time for the discussion, but was still well worth the read. Likeable characters, funny dialogue...a little b..."

This sounds like a good one--I've had it on my TBR shelf for a while. I'll have to check my library!

message 25: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Tonya wrote: "We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2) by Vicki Delany This is such a fun series! But I am biased because I absolutely love Christmas and the idea of a Christmas town excites me. These are such lik..."

I fell in love with this series. I'm not much of a Christmas person, but I enjoyed the cute little town about it.

message 26: by Tonya (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda Flower I have read other Amanda Flower books and am a big fan. This is just as enjoyable as her other books. There were several possibilities as who the culprit was, but in the end not a huge surprise, but a twist I didn't see coming.

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Tonya wrote: "Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda Flower I have read other Amanda Flower books and am a big fan. This is just as enjoyable as her other books. There were several possibilities as who the culprit was, ..."

Love this book!!!

message 28: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments I am SO far behind, but am half way there...still time to get into a groove....
Death Crashes the Party (Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #1) by Vickie Fee Really enjoyable characters, easy storyline. Had the culprit figured out half way...definitely will read more in this series, I just adore Liv and Di and Liv's husband Larry Joe!

message 29: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1) by Kylie Logan My online book club is reading book #3 in this series, but I can't start in the middle of a series, so I started with book #1...Hopefully I can finish 2 & 3 in time for the discussion. It's a fun book, didn't knock my socks off. Some of the characters weren't very likeable and I didn't really connect with any of them. Having said that, the mystery kept my intrigued, there were lots of suspects, and didn't see the twist at the end coming, and there are still some unanswered questions about the main character Bea. Like I said since my online group is discussing #3 in a couple of weeks, I will read 2 & 3.

message 30: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments A Tale of Two Biddies (League of Literary Ladies #2) by Kylie Logan Held my attention better than the first. Connected much better with the characters. Great twist at the end...had NO clue who did it or why. Didn't get to read the third one before my book club, but I will definitely will read it...still unanswered questions about the main character.

message 31: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Scone Cold Killer (All-Day Breakfast Café Mystery #1) by Lena Gregory Had me hooked from the beginning. Loved all of the characters in this book. Although there are many suspects, it's not hard to figure out who did it, but still a fun read. Can't wait to read the next one.

message 32: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1) by Susan Wittig Albert
Two words....LOVED IT!! This is such a well written book. I really thought I was going to struggle reading this book and I couldn't put it down. I am not much into historical mysteries, actually this is my first. That is why I love this challenge so much, it's pushing me outside of my comfort zones. The characters were vivid and likeable, the plot was interesting, as well as the side stories. Lots of possible suspects and the ending made sense. Can't wait to return to Darling, Alabama!!

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3) by Jenn McKinlay .
Eh...it was okay. IMHO, this series is not as good as the other two. It's entertaining enough to keep me reading though.

message 34: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 120 comments Curried Away (Spice Shop Mystery #4) by Gail Oust
I LOVE this series!! I am so sad the next one is the last. Great storyline, an unexpected twist at the end. Lots of suspects. Murderer was obvious, but not TOO obvious.