Start by marking “Curried Away (Spice Shop Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Curried Away (Spice Shop Mystery #4)

Curried Away

(Spice Shop Mystery #4)

Piper Prescott, proprietor of Spice It Up!, has persuaded Doug Winters, the mild-mannered vet she’s been dating, to demonstrate Indian cuisine at her shop. But before Doug’s presentation of classic chicken curry is completed, Ned Feeney, local handyman, bursts in with news of a murder.

Sandy Granger, the director of a local production of Steel Magnolias, was found strangled
Published December 13th 2016 by Minotaur Books

LORI CASWELL
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas Thoughts

This 4th installment of Gail Oust’s Spice Shop Mysteries finds the town in rehearsals for a production of Steel Magnolias. The director, Sandy Grainger, is pretty demanding and most of the cast and crew is ready to quit. When she tells them they will be rehearsing over the Thanksgiving weekend everyone was upset. But when she cut Reba Mae Johnson from the cast Reba Mae doesn’t hold back and really tells Sandy off in front of everyone. So when the overbearing director is found de
Dawn Michelle
This was NOT my favorite of the series, not by a long shot. I knew who the murderer was very early on, and I knew WHY the murderer murdered. THAT was very easy to see from almost the beginning. And the whole "Cot and Melly" story-line is SO NOT BELIEVABLE. There is no way in H E L L Melly would go off gallivanting with a man she was not married to. NO. FREAKING. WAY. I don't care if he WAS a judge.
Things I DID like:
**Getting rid of white-toast boring Doug. I know that Piper has been hurt fro
Lea Day
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is another great installment in Spice Shop mysteries. I loved the character development in this installment and looking forward to next book in the series. This is turning into one of my new favorite series
Brian Frauenknecht
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is another great entry in this series. It kept me guessing right until the end. I loved it.
Jessica Robbins
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
Full review posted 1/13/17 to Brooke Blogs.

Curried Away by Gail Oust is the fourth book in a Spice Shop Mystery Series. A local production of Steel Magnolias comes to a screeching halt when the body of the director is found in the balcony. Sandy Granger was strangled to death, and there appears to be no shortage of suspects. Piper's BFF, Reba Mae, is the prime suspect.

Piper ended up having to do some solo-sleuthing since Reba Mae is under suspicion. On the relationship front, Piper's relationshi
Jennifer Muller
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I believe the best complement you could ever give a book is "I stayed up till 2am to finish it."

🍃
I did have a few issues with some of the characters. For instance, Pipper seems to let her ex husband walk all over her still. Don't even get me started on Amber. (The hussy home wrecker.)
🍃
I still dont understand why anyone talks to Dottie, the mayors wife. That woman has the biggest mouth and gossips like her life is on the line.
🍃
Even though I read the previous book, I feel like there were too man
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
This is the fourth outing for Piper and the gang and it well and truly holds its own in the series (and I really should try some of the recipes as they sound delicious!), this time we have the town of Brandywine Creek planning to put on a stage show of Steel Magnolias and Reba Mae has been cast (and then un-cast) in the part of Truvy Jones, the Beautician in the play.  When Reba Mae was dumped from the cast she stated in front of witnesses that she would happily wrap her hands around the neck of ...more
Susan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
"Steel Magnolias" seems like the ideal play for the amateurs of Brandywine Creek, but unfortunately rich, glamorous director Sandy Graham has antagonized most of the cast--and kicked out spice shop owner Piper Prescott's best friend, Reba Mae. So when Sandy is found dead, Reba Mae becomes a leading suspect, and is only one of the people who ask Piper to investigate. (The local chief of police, hunky Wyatt, is not one of them.) Meanwhile, the veterinarian Piper's been dating gets more enmeshed by ...more
Marilyn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
First I have read in this series, though not the first in the series. I like some of the characters, though there are two I did not care for and I was quite happy they will not be appearing in future books. The director of a community theater production of Steel Magnolias has been murdered. She had alienated almost the entire cast so there are lots of suspects, but Piper's best friend Reba Mae seems to be at the top of that list. Unfortunately, lots of circumstantial evidence is against her, but ...more
Phillip Albright
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This installment was one of the best in the Spice it Up spice shop mysteries. Instead of hitting him with a brisket, The murder in the haunted theater was better. Piper and the rest of the gang are really picking up enough steam for me to wait until the next book. I am super excited for this series, and anticipate every December for the latest. Classic cozy hijinks, with a lighter side of life. The changing with Piper's love life were surprising and saddening. Though Chief Mcbride. is getting ve ...more
Ricki
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is happening in the small town of Brandywine Creek, Ga? Instead of putting on a show in the Brandywine Creek Opera House, the director, Sandy granger, is found strangled with her own silk scarf...Seems like every one in the cast f Steel Magnolia's had a reason to want to kill her..but only one, Reba Mae Johnson, has uttered those words out loud and is the police chief's main suspect! Can lcal spice shop owner , Piper Prescott, use her detecting skills and find the true murderer? Fun read!
Knight
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Things to like and dislike about this book. If you are a fan of the series, you will like it. (view spoiler) ...more
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Piper runs a spice shop and is having a Indian cuisine demonstration at her shop when the local handyman runs in saying there has been a murder. The director of a local theatre group has been murdered, since had bullied everyone on the set there is a wide range of people to pick from. Piper's best friend is the top suspect and runs away. Piper has to get through the holidays without her children, try to manage her love life, run the shop and figure out who the killer is.
Dee
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
nice read, but far too many cliches for my personal liking. if you can get past them, its a possible 4* read.

summary: piper's bff reba mae is the prime suspect in the murder of sandy granger, who is producing 'steel magnolias' at brandywine creeks opera house. sandy is such a piece of work that the list of suspects is 10 miles long. but all of the evidence points to reba mae? who actually killed sandy?

Sallee
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Number 4 in the Spice Shop mysteries, this book continues the story of Piper Prescott, owner of a spice shop in the bucolic town of Brandywine. We have her love interests to captivate us and a nice little murder for her to solve, especially as her very best friend is the main person of interest. This was a very enjoyable read.
Susan
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm bumping this review up from 3.5 stars because the series keeps getting better and because the Piper/McBride situation was pretty darn near perfect. A good mystery despite a few "dumb moves" by characters. People and relationships change, which is not always found in cozies, and which I greatly appreciate. Glad to be rid of a certain person.
Beth Kaminske
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoy this author's mysteries stories. I had this one figured out early on, because I followed the clues.They were fairly obvious this time, But I really like her characters and their dialogue. One of the best mystery series I have found!
Beth
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but longer than needed

The murderer was obvious from 1st encounter with the character. The other plot lines of the relationship/non-relationship with Doug and McBride dragged. It seemed reaching in a few of the interactions with these 2 men. Still overall a decent story
Dawn
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the chemistry between McBride and Piper!
Ruth
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Light weight but fun food and cooking references.
Kent Woodger
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it

it's not that I don't like women authors their many good ones, Kate Quinn, Alex Kava, Tana French, I just don't like silly ones who think they are clever.
Julie Trapp
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Piper, owner of Spice It Up, has persuaded Doug, the local vet, to give a cooking demo in her shop. Just as he is starting, Ned runs in with the news that Sandy
Joan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lite read - okay characters, but what I needed because didn't anything too deep.
Kyle Fisher
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This falls more at 3.5.
Colleen
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. It is a light mystery that held my interest. I’m looking forward to reading more from the series.
Elise
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
couldn't get past the southern affects
Alycia
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love these books. Somehow Piper raised the most self absorbed kids but I guess we can blame that on C.J. And I hope them skipping ahead to the play in February doesn't mean we will miss hearing about the disaster that will be C.J and Amber's wedding in December!
Jenny
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book in this fun cozy mystery series. I can't wait to read the next one to see if something romantic (finally) happens between Piper and Wyatt!!
Gloria
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun series. The characters are interesting...various personalities will be identified as people you know...and the plot moves quickly. I'm learning a lot about spices used in cooking but I don't think I will ever be the "grind your own fresh" type of cook.

• Stabbing in the Senate (Washington Whodunit, #1)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • If Onions Could Spring Leeks (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #5)
  • Better Off Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #10)
  • A Grave Issue (A Funeral Parlor Mystery #1)
  • Cheddar Off Dead (Undercover Dish Mystery #2)
  • Caught Read-Handed (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #2)
  • Buzzkill (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #4)
  • Teacup Turbulence (Pet Rescue Mystery, #5)
  • Cat-Eye Witness (Klepto Cat Mystery, #2)
  • Die, Die Birdie (A Bird Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Kneaded to Death (A Bread Shop Mystery #1)
  • Dae's Christmas Past (Missing Pieces Mystery #6)
  • Remote Consequences
  • Get Me to the Grave on Time
  • The Calamity Café (Down South Café Mystery #1)
  • Three Strikes, You're Dead (An Eddie Shoes Mystery, #3)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)

Spice Shop Mystery (5 books)
  • Rosemary and Crime (Spice Shop Mystery #1)
  • Kill 'Em with Cayenne (Spice Shop Mystery #2)
  • Cinnamon Toasted (Spice Shop Mystery #3)
  • Ginger Snapped (Spice Shop Mystery, #5)