What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Truth Trap (Matt McKendrick series)
This topic is about The Truth Trap
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. AF or YA Mystery Novel (part of a series) - brother suspected but innocent of killing his young sister, saves policeman's daughter from drowning in a pool. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joshua (ithildins) (ithildins) | 10 comments I read this book around early 2000s but it looked old enough that it might have been published a decade or two earlier.

It was about this teen boy who hides in a cinema/movie theater with his sister since they're evading child services ( their parents are abusive/neglectful/dead or something). He goes out to find/steal some food so they can eat and when he comes back, police are swarming the theater and the EMTs bring out the body of his sister, who was killed or murdered (I guess the reader finds out in the later books?). They see the boy skulking around and start to question him. Some of the officers think he killed her to make living on the street easier for himself, but not all of them. One of the police officers (could be the captain or lieutenant) takes him into his home. The captain has a wife and young daughter (about the same age as the boy's sister).

I don't remember the circumstances leading up to the incident, but the boy sees the daughter floating face-down in the backyard pool and rushes out, jumps in, and holds her above the surface as he walks her out of the pool. His hand is supporting her on the stomach, the pool water is deep so his head is under while he's saving her, and he ends up almost dying to rescue her. The EMTs told the captain that since he was lifting her by the stomach, the water was able to drain out of her mostly and he saved her life, which further cements in the captain's mind that the boy is innocent of the crime of killing his sister.

That's about all I can remember of the book, except for the cover. It was the size of a mass market paperback, with a yellow/tan cover. There was a boy running and it looked like it had been sketched or stroked in ink (I don't think it was a photorealistic cover) - but the sketch was somewhat more of an outline and less like an entire graphic - it's been twelve or thirteen years, so my memory could be failing on that detail too.

The title might have something to do with the word "Run" or "Running" - but that's such a common verb that all searches I've done over the past four years have turned up nada even when using some of the plot points as an assist. I could be off on the title, so any and all recommendations would be much appreciated if the plot sounds similar.

Thank you so much to anyone who reads this and even tries to help even if your own search turns up blank. And to whomever can actually find this book, I will be eternally grateful!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
No idea what your book is Joshua, but it sounds interesting.

Do you know where it was set--U.S., Canada, U.K., etc? Was it small town, medium town, city, big city or country? What age range is it for--MG (10 to 13 or so), YA (teens), NA (18 to about 24) or Adult (anyone over 24)?

Joshua (ithildins) (ithildins) | 10 comments US, I believe - normal-sized city to large, age range 15-16+ (I'm 30 now and would still be interested in reading this again)

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
You say "30" like anything over that wouldn't be interested in YA books. I read them all the time (well, I read EVERYTHING all the time, but what can I say--I'm a bookaholic) and many of our members who are well past the "designated age range for YAs" also read them. A good story is a good story.

Did you read the entire series, or just that first book? I'm wondering if you remember if the series was only a duo, a trio or it was 15 books long.

Joshua (ithildins) (ithildins) | 10 comments It wasn't my intention to slight anyone's interest in reading anything, no matter what age they are - right now, I'm reading A Series of Unfortunate Events because I never have before and am finding them quite enjoyable. As you said, a good story is a good story.

It's not YA in the sense that it's like Divergent or The 5th Wave, but more along the lines of The Outsiders or To Kill a Mockingbird. It didn't seem like when it published that it was targeted as YA, which is why I classified it as adult fiction as well.

We only had to read the first book for English class, but the mystery wasn't solved yet, so I think it might have been a duology or a trilogy, but coursework and other required reading meant I wasn't able to have time to continue it until I had forgotten the name of the book.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Definitely The Truth Trap. There are three other books about Matthew, the main character and his friends. Aren't You The One Who..? Losers and Winners, and Cutting Loose.

Joshua (ithildins) (ithildins) | 10 comments Kym wrote: "The Truth Trap by Frances A. Miller?"

YES!!!! Thank you so very much! I can't believe you found it!!!! As promised, you have my eternal gratitude!!

message 9: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments You’re welcome Joshua:)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Truth Trap (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frances A. Miller (other topics)