2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - Mod Stuff > Your Next Great Read!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 04, 2018 05:11AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments So you have joined our group, you have received your Welcome Email from me or another member of the Welcome Committee, you ordered/requested our group read, set your goal, and set up your member's corner. Wow, that's a lot, but if you are as obsessed about reading as so many of us in the group are, you will be looking for more! So many of us are on here for the great book recommendations, and this group makes the best because we are an all welcoming, all motivated, and all genre kind of group.

But before you take recommendations from our over 16 thousand members, give us some of yours by answering these few questions. Many Thanks.

What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read?

What book would you never remove from your book shelf?

What book have your read more often than any other?

What book was the hardest for you to finish?

What book kept you up way past your bedtime?

What book is next on your To Be Read list?

message 2: by Ilesanmi (new)

Ilesanmi Santiago | 6 comments 1. That would be Sentinel by Jennifer (covenant#4) Armentrout

2. State of Emergency by Cassie Miles (I was 12 and I immediately fell in love with novels). OMG! I still love Cassie Miles till date for that book, I just can't get over it

3. state of emergency, if I still had it (but it was borrowed and I can't find it in any bookstore). Then Oh, Robots of dawn too - I made a backup on google drive

4. Isaac Asimov's Robots of dawn. Can't remember how many times I read it before I learnt about it's sequels. Then there's Evanovich's One for the money (in fact, there's no book in that series I didn't read more than once)

5. Peter F Hamilton - Reality Dysfunction (and it's preventing me from moving on to the other books in d series)

6. All books in the Percy Jackson series, all books in the Covenant series, all books in Asimov's Robot series, all books in Stephanie plum series - oh my, that's a lot of nights
then there's Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy etc.

7. I don't know! And that's my biggest problem right now. Every book I pick pale in comparison to everyone I've read. Can someone please suggest a great book?

message 3: by ZaraS (last edited Dec 25, 2017 07:15AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments What was the last book you read before filling in this questionnaire?
The Greatest Gift: A Christmas Tale

The Life Cycle Library for Young People.

I have a few. Two come immediately to mind: Light from Heaven and The Memory Room

What book have you read more often than any other?
Light from Heaven

The Narrow Road to the Deep North not because it was a struggle to read due to bad writing or the like, but because it was extremely emotive and gut-wrenchingly real.

Calling Invisible Women

The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life and Working Class Boy and Working Class Man and Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire and many, many others.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

1) I read Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas and loved it. I'm currently reading Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and am loving it as well

2) Probably Harry Potter

3) Once again, the Harry Potter series

4) Again, Harry Potter (this is getting sad)

5) The Fault in Our Stars because I was spoiled for the ending and didn't want to read it because I knew I would cry.

6) So many. But currently, Eleanor and Park

7) Probably Heir of Fire. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

message 5: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Harry Potter for the WIN! Heir of Fire is that fantasy?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Blagica wrote: "Harry Potter for the WIN! Heir of Fire is that fantasy?"

Yes, It is. It's the 3rd book in the "Throne of Glass" series.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila 1. Last book I read before filling in this questionnaire: Playing Dead
2. First “grown up”book I ever read: that was too many years and way too many books.
3. A book I will never remove from my shelf: To Kill a Mockingbird
4. Book I’ve read more than any other: To Kill a Mockingbird
5. Hardest book to finish: Riders of the Purple Sage, this was a local book club selection and I thought it was absolutely horrible!
6. Book that kept up past my bedtime: All of them! Lol! But I had to stay up late to finishAll the Light We Cannot See. I couldn’t put it down!
7. Next on my to read list: So many to choose from, but a copy of The Keeper of Lost Things should be in at my library this week.

message 8: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Sheila wrote: "1. Last book I read before filling in this questionnaire: Playing Dead
2. First “grown up”book I ever read: that was too many years and way too many books.
3. A book I will never re..."

All the Lights we Can Not See was great!

message 9: by Paulette (last edited Jan 19, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

Paulette | 19 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "So you have joined our group, you have received your Welcome Email from me or another member of the Welcome Committee, you ordered/requested our group read, set your goal, and set up your member's ..."

Hi!, my name is Paulette ..I am new here, and it's EXCITING!! Now, with so many people in this group I know it will probably be some time before I get a welcome email!

but I'm here!... I didn't order the group read yet because I already selected 2 books for the month. I've set my goal for the year (24 books in total) , and I set up my member's corner.

So yeah, I'm a bit obsessed about reading lol as so many of us in the group are.

I love this group already. Thank you for this!

So now let me answer the questions...

The last book I've read was CLEAN by Alejandro Junger M.D. (This book is about all the benefits and healing one can obtain from drinking water.)

The first grown up book I've ever read? err, I haven't. I attempted to read Zane but became so busy.. and converted to Christianity, hardly anytime for anything lol ....If you're talking romance Skye O'Malley by Beatrice Small .. that's the closest to x-rated. lol and I think THAT was pretty perverted and twisted.

I would never remove The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz from my shelf, and Xenophobia by Peter Cawdron

What book have I read more often than any other? JACOB by Jacquelyn Frank

What book was the hardest for you to finish? Can't think of any.

What book kept you up way past your bedtime? JACOB by Jacquelyn Frank

What book is next on your To Be Read list? The Shack (it's old but I fell off the radar and need to get back on track) I hear it's a good read!,
I'm also reading a job-related book "Paraprofessionals in the Classroom: A Survival Guide second edition by Betty Ashbaker.

Glad to be here!

message 10: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Paulette wrote: "Kadijah Michelle wrote: "So you have joined our group, you have received your Welcome Email from me or another member of the Welcome Committee, you ordered/requested our group read, set your goal, ..."

Just curious, what is it you do for a living Paulette?

message 11: by Paulette (new)

Paulette | 19 comments I work for the Department of Education, but my degree is in Business Management. What do you for a living?... (I'm not at all curious I'm just asking because you asked me lol)

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Paulette wrote: "I work for the Department of Education, but my degree is in Business Management. What do you for a living?... (I'm not at all curious I'm just asking because you asked me lol)"

I’m a child psychologist :)

message 13: by Jhuma (new)

Jhuma Khan (jhumaaaa) The last book I read was Murder on the Orient Express on a 7-hour train journey to my hometown.

The Alchemist I think was the first "grown up" book I read

I won't remove a single book from my shelves, good or bad.

The Lightning Thief is the book I read more often than any other

Claiming Grace was hardest for me to finish because of its repetitiveness.

Thirteen Reasons Why & The Lucky One are the two books that kept me way past my bedtime and when I say way past I mean way way past. I also completed both these books in one sitting.

Heir of Fire is the next book on my TBR. I won't go any further before completing the remaining books in the series.

message 14: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments Some great books have been mentioned. I may have to add even more to my shelves :)

message 15: by Ketty (new)

Ketty (bowsandbooks) | 270 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?

Champions of the Force (Star Wars The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) by Kevin J. Anderson

I love Star Wars, huge nerd about it, and I always wanted to read the EU - excuse me "Legends" - and never knew where to start. One of my best friends is the biggest SW nerd you'll ever meet, gave me a few good places to start. This is the trilogy I started with. I loved it! I mean I ate these books up and was sad when they were over. Now I just want more and more.

The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King

I read this book when I was...seven I think. I was two years into my horror obsession, not kidding, and my dad showed me the movie and this is how I was introduced to Stephen King, who is my favorite author.

All of them. I am a horrible book hoarder, but if I had to pick one book to never ever ever ever get rid of it would have to be:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I have read this book so many times and I never get tired of it. I read it to my two oldest children as babies and my original copy was a pile of pages between a barely together cover before I finally retired it.

See above. The Hobbit, so many times I destroyed it.

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

I cannot finish this book. Not because it was bad but because it is literally the only book that has ever scared me. I can't watch the movie all the way through either. Yeah. Just can't do it.

Every book I have ever read, I always read in bed and I get sucked in easily. For the sake of a specific answer I will just throw one in that recently had me sucked in.

A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell

Yeah, I had a hard time putting this one down last year.

Fairest of All A Tale of the Wicked Queen by Serena Valentino

Did I mention I am a Disney addict? Yeah. I have been dying to read these books and I finally broke down and bought a couple. I want to read all four before August when the newest one comes out. Shouldn't be too hard but I have to buy two more.

message 16: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? The Alienist

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? Flowers in the Attic I was about 10 or 11 and I'm pretty sure my mom had no idea the book series I was obsessed with was full of incest!

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale

Probably The Name of the Rose. All that Latin became tedious after awhile.

Too many to name. Most recently it was Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

I'm just about to start The Great Alone

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? The Alienist

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? Flowers in the Attic I was about 10 ..."

The Alienist is that anything like the show?

message 18: by Jerica (new)

Jerica Durfee | 1 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? The Watson's go to Birmingham

What book would you never remove from your book shelf? Harry Potter Series

What book have your read more often than any other? Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

What book was the hardest for you to finish? Pride and Prejudice

What book kept you up way past your bedtime? Outlander

What book is next on your To Be Read list? Unwanted Advances by Laura Kipnis or The Origins of Others by Toni Morrison

message 19: by AttWaq (last edited Mar 06, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

AttWaq What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?
The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

What book would you never remove from your book shelf
Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7) by James Patterson

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? I think The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1) by David Eddings but that was a long long time ago

What book would you never remove from your book shelf? The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle I have my Grandfather's old copy.

What book have your read more often than any other? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

What book was the hardest for you to finish? Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

What book kept you up way past your bedtime? The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

What book is next on your To Be Read list? The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson and Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments Ok gimme minute and I’ll send post

message 22: by Catka (last edited Sep 16, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Catka | 269 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? The Custom of the Country

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? no idea. that was about 30 years ago. I read as soon as I was able to decipher the letters and so I guess I came across a grown up book quite early, but do not remember which one was it

Pippi Longstocking, my childhood favorite, survived several movings. Also any of my favorite authors would never go, ie Tom Robbins, JK Rowling, Jane Austen, Douglas Adams, Nick Hornby, Erich Remarque or Terry Pratchett

that must have been Harry Potter books

lately, Altas Shrugged. hated it, but sheer stubborness kept me going and took me through it (I listened to it, never would have finished if I read it).
I have also struggled (twice) with The Master and Margarita, a book dearly loved by all intellectuals, but I just could not see its worth.

lately it was the Custom of the Country, as the last quarter got suddenly more interesting after a chore of reading through the previous parts, so I wanted to know how it finishes and also to get it done with :)
For a book I could recommend, that would have been Foreign Fruit by Jojo Moyes, which is my more recent favorite author.

Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged - found it on a list of recommendations for Jane Austen lovers, so I am quite curious. Also the topic (a Muslim dating) seems interesting. hope it will be fun.

message 23: by Shanna (new)

Shanna What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?
See You at Harry's

The Fuzzy Papers

The Golden Mother Goose

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Red Badge of Courage

Pet Sematary

? Something from my shelf that will fulfill of couple of challenge tasks.

message 24: by Keri (last edited Sep 18, 2018 11:10AM) (new)

Keri Sparks | 293 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

The Ill-Made Mute by Ceclia Dart-Thornton, but it also could have been Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. I can't remember which I read first.

(I have a lot) Wildwood Dancing by Juliette Marillier; Megan Whalen Turner's three books : The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia; The Inkheart Trilogy; The Artemis Fowl series; The Bitterbynde Trilogy; Child of Faerie Child of Earth (can't remember the author's name); Jane Austin's seven novels; and The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.

I have a couple, all of which I read three or four times: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien because technically speaking, I never finished it. I read it twice and I love it dearly but every time I get to the part where The Shire is invaded by the enemies, I can't go on. It . . . hurts too much. =(

Inkheart (or maybe it was Inkspell or Inkdeath??) by Cornelia Funke

The Goodreads one or my personal one? I don't know about the Goodreads . . . well, to be honest, I don't know about either. I don't decide until I am about to read. I just look at my bookshelf and let the unread books tell me which one I am in the mood for.

message 25: by Delaney (new)

Delaney (delaneyrice) | 48 comments 1.What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?
No Safety In Numbers by Dayna Lorentz. It's pretty good so far. I'm not sure if I love it. I'm reading it for a book club.

The first grown-up book I ever read was Of Mice and Men. I loved this book so so much and I have read multiple more John Steinbeck books.

What book would you never remove from your bookshelf?
I would never get rid of the harry potter series from my shelves. It is such a big part of my childhood and I could never get rid of them.

I have read the harry potter series twice in a row. I don't think I've actually re-read that many books, which surprises me.

Salt: A World History was so hard to finish! It is an awful book that I had to read for my world history class.

Literally every book I've ever read. I don't have time during the day so I stay up late reading (I know that's bad and I need my sleep but oh well)

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I'm super excited to read this. My mom recommended it but I haven't really gotten around to it.

message 26: by Terrie (new)

Terrie | 134 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?X
I needed it for x on the A-Z challenge.
Valley of the Dolls
The Year of Magical Thinking
Where the Sidewalk Ends
one-star books that I need for a challenge.The Woman in Cabin 10
The President Is Missing
Lethal White

message 27: by Mini (last edited Nov 28, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Mini (mini_sagas) | 28 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire?

H(A)PPY by Nicola Barker -- a novel take in dystopian realities. Mindfulness at its worst.

Difficult to say, I was very in to the Sherlock Holmes stories as a teen and once I'd read all the orignals I ripped through (not literally -- don't worry no books were murdered in the creation of this reader) every apocryphal Holmes story I could get my hands on in short order.

My complete collection of the original Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels.

I don't reread all that many books, but I have all the Radio 4 Bert Coules dramatisations of the Holmes -- are you sensing a theme? -- stories on mp3 and I've relistened to those a few times. They are excellent.

There have been a fair few, but since I appear to have stumbled into a theme: Kissing Sherlock Holmes. (But also 'Of Mice and Men' -- I had to read if for school.)

About 90/95% of them! I have been known to forgo bedtime altogether and read til breakfast and beyond.

I'm currently reading Early Riser by Jasper Fforde which is shaping up very nicely, but next ... ? I never really know until crunch time. Maybe Illuminae.

message 28: by Gini (new)

Gini | 40 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? Divine Conspiracy, Willard

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? Tobacco Road

What book would you never remove from your book shelf? Never? Let me see...Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

What book have your read more often than any other? Yep, see previous answer.

What book was the hardest for you to finish? Villette, one of Bronte's I think.

What book kept you up way past your bedtime? Dr Faustus by Mann

What book is next on your To Be Read list? Is That a Fish in Your Ear? Bellos

reply | flag *

message 29: by Talia (last edited Nov 29, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Talia Mazzarella (madcap_marginalia) | 5 comments What was the last book you read before filling out this questionnaire? The last book I finished was A Short History of Nearly Everything. The one I'm reading (and not crazy for) is Every Heart a Doorway

What was the first "grown up" book you ever read? I very awkwardly read The Scarlet Letter in the fourth grade for our self-select book report. I had grabbed it off my mother's bookshelf (she was studying undergraduate English at the time.) Pretty sure it went way over my head.

What book would you never remove from your book shelf? The Complete Works of Emily Dickinson

What book have your read more often than any other? I lost count of both of my comfort reads: the Harry Potter series and Pride and Prejudice

What book was the hardest for you to finish? The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I really, really disliked it

What book kept you up way past your bedtime? The Name of the Wind

What book is next on your To Be Read list? Circe or maybe Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

message 30: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Hi Mads, what made you dislike The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so much?

I loved Circe! Hope you will like it as much as I did!

message 31: by Talia (new)

Talia Mazzarella (madcap_marginalia) | 5 comments I know I'm in the minority disliking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but it was a few things that bothered me. The prose (maybe translator's fault) felt stilted, the characters felt really contrived, and the plot felt inconsistently paced. Also, while I'm normally not super sensitive to violence, especially in a mystery/thriller, it seemed like violence was used as a crutch in this book to add tension/shock when the plot was wearing thin. That's one of my biggest pet peeves in the mystery genre.

I'm very excited about Circe, though! Glad to hear you liked it!